Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: And The Image Of Image

Drunk Cassandra is now my favorite Cassandra.

Heh Dorian Gray.

This show continues to impress me with its brand of heartfelt crazy. I love Bishop and Jenkins is always a blast. Everyone else is hit or miss.,,,more hit then miss with each new episode

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

This was one of the strongest episodes of the series. The conceptualization of Dorian (a favorite book and I love him on Penny Dreadful) was original and modern. I was thinking, oh Dorian, he should me more formidable. No, he's a punk bitch, really. It was funny how Stone wasn't able to get into the club at all. And Jenkins again in the field. Really, this is a good decision for the show. He brings a lot in a little time in the field.

This was actually kind of dark and depressing for Eve, but it also showcased how heroic she truly is. 

• Love 4

Very good episode.  I was fooled when Jones started substituting the photos.  I thought he was going to replace the photos of others with Dorian's own face on Dorian's photo (so if he tried to kill someone else, he would die).  It was interesting how much Eve trusted the others to come up with a solution.  She dove off of the roof with no hesitation.

'How come the hangover lasts so much longer than the party?'  (hee!)

• Love 5

When did this silly show get so good? This might be my favorite episode to date. The cast has really come together with thei sibling-like chemistry.

Right?  I think it's my favorite too.  I really like how they're getting Jenkins out of the Library/Annex more often and in the middle of things.  And how he's grown fond of these people he was so annoyed by last season.  I loved the costumes/hair/makeup and the sets and the mocking of selfie-obsessed culture...  And I was happy to see that Dorian Gray wasn't a Fictional but an actual person--that was a nice twist.  And annoyed Christian Kane is always my favorite Christian Kane.

How many more episodes are left?

• Love 2

This was a fun episode.  I loved that even with Stone bonding with the bouncer over their literary game, the bouncer still wouldn't let him into the club! 

I understand that they made the picture of Eve out of lots of tiny Dorian pictures, but I don't get the jumping off the roof thing.  What did I miss?  How is she not dead?

• Love 1

I understand that they made the picture of Eve out of lots of tiny Dorian pictures, but I don't get the jumping off the roof thing.  What did I miss?  How is she not dead?

When is a picture of Dorian actually a picture of Eve?

Or to put it another they way, they reversed the polarity of the tachyon flow.

• Love 12

This was a fun episode.  I loved that even with Stone bonding with the bouncer over their literary game, the bouncer still wouldn't let him into the club! 

When Dorian used the cloud to make up his face out of photos of random clubgoers, the new 'picture' absorbed his sins the same way the old one did, only instead of the picture suffering the effects of the decadence the people in the photos did instead. When they changed the picture to Eve and made it up of images of Dorian, whatever she did to herself was transferred to him. So, she died (as he helpfully pointed out), he died.

I also really liked that the guy in the muscle slot had a weakness for literature (although, T.S. Eliot? Little shady there, muscular person).

Golf claps. Epic.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

When Dorian used the cloud to make up his face out of photos of random clubgoers, the new 'picture' absorbed his sins the same way the old one did, only instead of the picture suffering the effects of the decadence the people in the photos did instead. When they changed the picture to Eve and made it up of images of Dorian, whatever she did to herself was transferred to him. So, she died (as he helpfully pointed out), he died.

I also really liked that the guy in the muscle slot had a weakness for literature (although, T.S. Eliot? Little shady there, muscular person).

Golf claps. Epic.

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" is one of the landmark poems of the 20th century. I think it's a defensible choice. I'd have said Dylan Thomas first, though. (Depending on whether a Welshman counts as an English poet, even writing in English).

• Love 3

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" is one of the landmark poems of the 20th century. I think it's a defensible choice. I'd have said Dylan Thomas first, though. (Depending on whether a Welshman counts as an English poet, even writing in English).

I dunno, if we're allowing colonials-with-issues and we have to stick with the last century I think I might have gone with Yeats (or, for a british poet a little closer to Eliot's issues, Larkin). I think given my druthers, though, I'd've gone with Auden or Sassoon.

• Love 1

I randomly decided to binge this show over the weekend (mainly to avoid doing actual work for grad school), and I am really glad I did! Its such a fun show, with good acting, fun dialogue, solid characters, and lots of great references to history/art/literature/whatever the item of the week is. And the quality has gone up consistently since the start of the series. 

This episode was just what I needed. We got drunk Cassandra, Jenkins backstory (maybe he ran into my academic adviser at CBGBs), and Stone bonding with the bouncer over authors, it was great. 

I also thought it was a really clever take on Dorian Gray. Of course he would thrive in the digital age. Of course he would keep his picture in the Cloud. It was a really fun modernization. 

Works every time!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I also thought this was one of the best episodes yet.  The entire cast worked really well, Dorian Grey was a fun antagonist (not familiar with the actor, but he was perfectly smug), a lot of good character moments, etc.

I love that the show continues to have Jake not just be a one-dimensional muscle jock, but he is in to things like art and poetry.  The stuff with the bouncer was great and, of course, he still never got into the club.  Christian Kane was great whenever he showed that frustration.

Drunk Cassandra was pretty good, although that of course led to a bad case of Hangover Cassandra later on.

I really want some Jenkins flashbacks.  Or at least meet more of his former companions, so we can get to hear more stories.

• Love 1

When they changed the picture to Eve and made it up of images of Dorian, whatever she did to herself was transferred to him. So, she died (as he helpfully pointed out), he died.

Thanks!  So Eve had to take it on faith the 'spell' would work correctly and Dorian would die instead of her, not that if she died, he died as well.  Wow. 

• Love 2

Thanks!  So Eve had to take it on faith the 'spell' would work correctly and Dorian would die instead of her, not that if she died, he died as well.  Wow. 

Well, she did say that her job was to die. And after that speech about being undermined by people who judged her by her appearance (and yaaaaay, they acknowledged that the leading lady is a supermodel, how often does that happen) and then working her way up to being in charge of whatever it was she was in charge of for NATO and getting her ass grabbed by heads of state, I imagine she had a fairly massive hate on for someone who turned narcissism into a personal altar to sacrifice strangers to.

Isn't Cassandra a little old for Ezekiel? Not that I really mind because she is so not an appropriate love interest for Stone, as too many have proposed.

I think they may be trying for a Hardison/Parker vibe here - she's a savant, he's a savant, together they fight crime - which is more than OK with me, since it means that they'll stop shipping her with people I care about and maybe he'll get some adult moments.

• Love 1

I agree that the show is getting better all the time.  I'm glad they ditched the Flynn/Eve relationship - loved the chemistry between her and Moriarty.  I think the whole cast is working well together too.  I am NOT a shipper so I hope they don't start pairing any of the group up but I love the bits of romance like Stone and the force field girl.  I am totally enamored of Jenkins since we found out that he is Galahad and I love that he is pretty much on the team now.

Well, she did say that her job was to die. And after that speech about being undermined by people who judged her by her appearance (and yaaaaay, they acknowledged that the leading lady is a supermodel, how often does that happen) and then working her way up to being in charge of whatever it was she was in charge of for NATO and getting her ass grabbed by heads of state, I imagine she had a fairly massive hate on for someone who turned narcissism into a personal altar to sacrifice strangers to.

It always rings a bit hollow when someone bitches and moans about how attractive they are. Boo hoo! Tonnes of doors are opened for me because I'm so blonde and beautiful! Woe is me!

It always rings a bit hollow when someone bitches and moans about how attractive they are. Boo hoo! Tonnes of doors are opened for me because I'm so blonde and beautiful! Woe is me!

Actually, I believe specifically what she said was that the doors she wanted to go through were harder for her to open because she's blonde and beautiful. Apparently there are people out there who think less of you for that :)

• Love 3

That's a misogynistic and ignorant garbage statement. One would hope that heads of state wouldn't be grabbing some high ranking NATO officer's ass because they're hot or any other reasons. Because human dignity and respect for others, for example. It's the same problem for women in STEM fields, and statements like that mock all the hard work so many people are putting in to promote diversity and equality. 

From what I've seen, Eve has the respect of all the team. She'd rather plan everything out and they'd rather run in like crazy, but that makes for a fun show. 

. . .  One would hope that heads of state wouldn't be grabbing some high ranking NATO officer's ass because they're hot or any other reasons. Because human dignity and respect for others, for example. . . .

One would hope, but one would be wrong.  I had my butt patted by a somewhat elderly United States Senator some years ago, while standing and chatting in the halls of the Russell Senate Office Building, in the middle of a group of people.  He saw nothing wrong with that, apparently.  I simply moved away, sure that I could outrun the SOB if necessary.

I'm no supermodel (more of a sub-model, I suppose), but that speech rang true with me. And I'm in the STEM world as well.

• Love 8

I love that the show continues to have Jake not just be a one-dimensional muscle jock, but he is in to things like art and poetry.  The stuff with the bouncer was great and, of course, he still never got into the club.  Christian Kane was great whenever he showed that frustration.

It reminded me that Eliot Spencer never got to go to the HS reunion.

• Love 4

This show is really getting good (it was lots of silly fun and a couple of misses last season with a surprising end that tied everything together). As has been mentioned great way to modernize Dorian Gray. And I love how the team is really working more and more as a unit. I notice that they try to bring in some consistency on how magic is supposed to work with all the talk about 'focus, power and effect'. 

I'm  not too worried about any ships due to this show's ties to Leverage. If ever a show knew how to handle male-female relationships of the shipping and non-shipping kind it was Leverage.

• Love 2