Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Home again, home again. Jiggedy-jig!

We had a great trip to England visiting Thing1. She took us on a tour of Oxford College, museums and libraries, and we audited her Euclidean math lecture. Friday night we hosted a dinner party at the The Spice Lounge with her friends and professors. Saturday we went London for some shopping and sight-seeing, and flew out Sunday morning. My brain and body have no idea what time it is. 

A few memorials:

David Cassidy, TV teen heartthrob, made him one of the most enduring male icons of the ’70s, passed away November 21st at a Florida hospital following organ failure and a battle with dementia. He was 67.

After moving to Los Angeles in 1969, he was cast as the star of the 1970 musical comedy sitcom The Partridge Family, alongside his stepmother, the Oscar-winning actress and singer Shirley Jones. They played vaguely fictionalized versions of themselves -- two entertainers in a family full of them that decide to work together and seek success as a pop group. The oldest of the four Partridge children, Cassidy managed to unite a generation of teeny-boppers and flower children with the wholesome family values of primetime TV sitcoms in America, and audiences loved it. The show, featuring Cassidy as lead vocalist and Jones as backup, released “I Think I Love You.” The song became a No. 1 single and David Cassidy’s most enduring hit. 

My sister was a huge fan of David Cassidy's; she would memorize articles about him from Tiger Beat and 16 magazine. He was a little ahead of my time, but I couldn't forget her bedroom papered with David Cassidy's face. I took her with me to a industry convention in Las Vegas in 1997, and we saw him perform in the EFX production show at the MGM Grand Hotel. I talked our way to the back stage; he greeted us warmly, chatting and autographing our programs. 

Tommy Keene, a veteran singer-songwriter of the new wave and power-pop era of the 1980s, died November 22. 

He is best known for his 1984 alternative-radio hit “Places That Are Gone.” Over the years he collaborated with a number of stylistically similar artists ranging from Guided by Voices’ Robert Pollard — with whom he released an EP as the Keene Brothers, a joke that would be lost on all but certain people of a certain age — and T Bone Burnett (who produced one of his early albums) to the Goo Goo Dolls and Matthew Sweet, with whom he toured just a few weeks ago. He generally remained true to the melodic, chiming, harmony-filled, Byrds-influenced rock that launched his career.

12 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Yay, a royal wedding! Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are engaged ?

Why Meghan Markle’s engagement to Prince Harry is controversial

• Love 7

Welcome back @Cupid Stunt.  Sounds like a whirlwind trip.

Interesting re MM.  I read that she also attended Catholic school.  Also a problem.  What I don't get from the article is about her being the first divorced woman to marry a royal because Camilla is divorced and married to the next King.

• Love 7

The visit went too quickly, but I got to be with my baby!

<sniff>

I know less than nothing about Royal marriage protocol since Charles and Camilla's marriage. After your post, I had to read up on the contortions and reconnoitering that allows Charles to succeed his mother, with Camilla in tow as consort.

The big hoo-haw in the British press was that the a biracial-Jewish-divorcee-actress-commoner could marry into the House of Windsor. There was a lot of discussion over the prospect of social evolution coming from the Crown. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

<sniff>

I know less than nothing about Royal marriage protocol since Charles and Camilla's marriage. After your post, I had to read up on the contortions and reconnoitering that allows Charles to succeed his mother, with Camilla in tow as consort.

The big hoo-haw in the British press was that the a biracial-Jewish-divorcee-actress-commoner could marry into the House of Windsor. There was a lot of discussion over the prospect of social evolution coming from the Crown. 

Very interesting article!

Another interesting thing I read about MM is that her ancestor on her paternal side was beheaded by Henry the VIII.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

<sniff>

Awwww! So glad you got to see the offspring! Bet it was hard to say see you later. ?

11 hours ago, bannana said:

Welcome back @Cupid Stunt.  Sounds like a whirlwind trip.

Interesting re MM.  I read that she also attended Catholic school.  Also a problem.  What I don't get from the article is about her being the first divorced woman to marry a royal because Camilla is divorced and married to the next King.

Camilla is a Brit while MM is American like Wallis Simpson who I think was twice divorced. ?

• Love 6

It's that time of Year for Awkward Christmas Cards and Photos!

NO-400x600.jpg

We're going into the holiday season kicking and screaming!

4 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Awwww! So glad you got to see the offspring! Bet it was hard to say see you later. ?

I nearly hugged the stuffin's out of her, and managed not to be too embarrassing while we were there. Thing1 loves Oxford, and is surrounded by genuine colleagues and friends. There's a certain peace knowing she's accepted this challenge this on her own terms and is excelling. I'm very proud of her. She returns to L.A. at the end of Michaelmas term, and the whole family will have lots of time with her.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

It's that time of Year for Awkward Christmas Cards and Photos!

NO-400x600.jpg

We're going into the holiday season kicking and screaming!

Is it too obvious to ask if this is Roy Moore's Christmas card?

• Love 9

I had an, erm, interesting dream about David Harbour (Hopper, Stranger Things) last night ?? No sexy times involved (maybe that’ll be tonight!); instead, I was snuggling next to him and running my hands over the scruff on his face and chest...

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Capricasix said:

I had an, erm, interesting dream about David Harbour (Hopper, Stranger Things) last night ?? No sexy times involved (maybe that’ll be tonight!); instead, I was snuggling next to him and running my hands over the scruff on his face and chest...

You have EXCELLENT taste!

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Capricasix said:

10 hours ago, boes said:

You have EXCELLENT taste!

It's probably to type of characters David Harbour has played over the years, but he has a burnished squinky menace that has me keep my athletic sock full of batteries close at hand.

• Love 3

The "Commander-in-Chief Forum" Lauer moderated last year proved how full of shit he is.  He is to journalism what JT is to acting:  a talentless hack.  And on a purely shallow level, I always thought Matt Lauer looked like a creepy perv who would drive a windowless van around a playground.  Good riddins, asshole!  (I never watch Today Show or any of those morning shows, so I don't know why I even care.)

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 8

That was an interesting take on the monarchy after Princess Diana's death. I felt when the Crown publically acknowledged the outpouring of grief and loss, then acted upon it, made the Royal Family more earth-bound and human. Remembering Prince's William and Harry, with their uncle, father and grandfather, walking behind the caisson carrying their mother's casket was excruciating.

large.jpg

Say, Mistletoe!

• Love 5

I had my interview Thursday morning with the VP of my entire corporation (it's a grocery store chain). I'm not sure it went well so I'm feeling kinda sad, kinda nervous. Also these types of promotions could happen anytime so I may not hear a yes until as long 2 month from now or I may just be passed over and not hear anything at all just eventually get the hint.

I thought I had some pretty good answers and some answers that weren't great... I'm also not sure what the other candidates brought to the table and how many positions they want to immediately fill.  ?

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I had my interview Thursday morning with the VP of my entire corporation (it's a grocery store chain). I'm not sure it went well so I'm feeling kinda sad, kinda nervous. Also these types of promotions could happen anytime so I may not hear a yes until as long 2 month from now or I may just be passed over and not hear anything at all just eventually get the hint.

I thought I had some pretty good answers and some answers that weren't great... I'm also not sure what the other candidates brought to the table and how many positions they want to immediately fill.  ?

I hate that feeling. Best of luck, I really hope you get it.

• Love 8

Petunia, if you think it's appropriate, you could send an email to the VP thanking them for meeting with you. Touch on any positive points you covered during the interview, and helpful commentary made by the VP. Can it hurt to express appreciation for the interview, while being sincere about your interest in the position?

FollowTheMoney.

Best Wishes of the Season from Mosul, Iraq ...

973B00B3-9FA6-4C7C-927F-6A640B59FB6B_w65

• Love 4

Well, you all just go ahead and enjoy those molded-plastic illuminated santas, and spritz cookies--do people actually eat those? They taste like sand.

Chuck Jones and Boris K have my icon ready, as usual...

images.jpg

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

CWnDV3SUAAEI2FR.jpg

Joyous news from the War on Christmas battlefront ...

A secret internment camp has been discovered in the Midwest. Right-wing demagogues, the Figgy Pudding Battalion, are in route with candy canes, Julekage, Spritz cookies and egg nog to free the prisoners.

That house is amazing on several fronts. In the area where I live, that homeowner would've had lawsuits filed against them and/or their local municipality would've made them shut it down or at least pare it back some. It surely must be a fire hazard, then there's all the extra street traffic from people cruising by to see it.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, pearlite said:

Well, you all just go ahead and enjoy those molded-plastic illuminated santas, and spritz cookies--do people actually eat those? They taste like sand.

Chuck Jones and Boris K have my icon ready, as usual...

images.jpg

Not my spritz cookies, they're melt-in-your-mouth, lemony bits of otherworldly delight, recipe courtesy of my mitochondrial DNA.  It's the cream cheese and butter.....

• Love 2
7 hours ago, boes said:

Not my spritz cookies, they're melt-in-your-mouth, lemony bits of otherworldly delight, recipe courtesy of my mitochondrial DNA.  It's the cream cheese and butter.....

Oh, I trust you, boes! I've only ever had bought ones--they're not such a big deal here. Now, roogies [sp?] [rugelach] or thumbprints, those we make with the cream cheese and butter...

• Love 4
2 hours ago, pearlite said:

Oh, I trust you, boes! I've only ever had bought ones--they're not such a big deal here. Now, roogies [sp?] [rugelach] or thumbprints, those we make with the cream cheese and butter...

It's the cream cheese......I'm going to start making mine tomorrow.  My mother used to make about 16 different kinds of Christmas treats and then send them out to family across the country.  She drafted my dad and for about 5 days that's all they did.  Both she and one of my aunts worked together on the spritz - they're a royal pain to make with the manual cookie press - and those were my favorites.  Since she died I do a very abbreviated version - VERY abbreviated - and send out the cookies I make from her recipes to my brothers and nieces and nephews.  

cream cheese and butter.......

Edited by boes
  • Love 9