Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

He always had some great anecdotes to tell.  I loved the weekly discussions he had with Drew Barrymore a few years back.

I did too, they were so cute together and seemed to really enjoy talking to each other.

• Love 3

I was just playing a really fun game on another site. You take the first line from any book and then add "and then the murders began..."

Like: All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

And then the murders began.

Or The sun did not shine, it was too wet to play, so we sat in the house all that cold, cold wet day. I sat there with Sally. We sat here we two and we said 'How we wish we had something to do.'"

And then the murders began.

• Love 4
(edited)

In my younger and more vulnerable years, my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.  And then the murders began.  

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  And then the murders began.

I could do this all night!  But it's been a long day and those are are the only two first lines I can think of off the top of my head.  And then the murders began.

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 4

I do enjoy when proponents of "let the common people die of their common ills" show themselves for what they truly are ... Chaffetz: Invest in healthcare over iPhone

Pardon me Representative Chaffetz, who pays for your premium healthcare? The taxpayers of the United States perhaps? Good to know you don't directly "invest" in your own healthcare.

And just exactly how does one "invest in healthcare?' By purchasing stock? Certainly purchasing individual heath insurance would not be considered a good long-term financial investment, if one is thinking exclusively in dollars and cents ... But in living a healthy life to end in a good death, there in lies the irony.

The representative from Utah felt it necessary to walk back his dogwhistle remarks.

Debunking Rep. Chaffetz specious suggestion: Here’s How Many iPhones You’ll Need to Not Buy in Order to Afford Health Care

Please call your representatives in Congress and Senators, and make your voice heard. Affordable healthcare benefits everyone.

• Love 6

^ Yay! ^ although the older I get and more I see and experience I realize there still is very much an inequality and stereotypes about women! 

The wind ? in Chicago today (and lately) yikes! 

I'm still kinda stressed about everything I just feel in my heart I've done nothing wrong and feels I'm going to be treated as bossy or out of pocket for wanting to keep my seniority. I also feel really uncomfortable with her lies and how she acted when she was around. The work shirking when she did show up and a few x she's yelled at me for not covering for her and out of paranoia. She also encouraged Joel when he'd do fuckshit and told homophobic  'jokes'. I have so much dread about her return. 

Anyhow to the women on this board and that run this site - each day I'm inspired by your strength and positivity. And the awesome dudes here thank you for being so supportive and cool. 

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

^ Yay! ^ although the older I get and more I see and experience I realize there still is very much an inequality and stereotypes about women! 

The wind ? in Chicago today (and lately) yikes! 

I'm still kinda stressed about everything I just feel in my heart I've done nothing wrong and feels I'm going to be treated as bossy or out of pocket for wanting to keep my seniority. I also feel really uncomfortable with her lies and how she acted when she was around. The work shirking when she did show up and a few x she's yelled at me for not covering for her and out of paranoia. She also encouraged Joel when he'd do fuckshit and told homophobic  'jokes'. I have so much dread about her return. 

Anyhow to the women on this board and that run this site - each day I'm inspired by your strength and positivity. And the awesome dudes here thank you for being so supportive and cool. 

I'm sorry you're dealing with this crap. Now at the risk of losing my feminist cred, I really think you should find some way to sabotage her. There has to be some kind of alliance you can form, even if it's with someone you don't necessarily like. I would try to get her to quit rather than being fired.

• Love 4

She said she did and maybe was acting as one with the expectation she'd do the training and certs. And she said she aced them but nothing is on record of that. 

Also every time I respond I start typing paragraphs about her lies, the complexity of advancement at this corp, and her treatment of me and it's too long and boring! Ugh it makes me so uncomfortable. I think @boes @Snaporaz @Anna Yolei are completely right it's bothering me way more than it should. Maybe the lies and her speech and actions trigger me but yeah. The thing is it's just a retail job; so I don't know if I should fight or stand up but I side on honesty in general and the fact I did what I was required and have as much if not more to offer. 

• Love 5

Happy International Women's Day to all of you Preverted Goddesses, international and domestic!  Italian men are supposed to give women mimosas today.  The flower, not the drink...but something tells me y'all would prefer the drink.  Mimosas all around!  

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

She said she did and maybe was acting as one with the expectation she'd do the training and certs. And she said she aced them but nothing is on record of that. 

Also every time I respond I start typing paragraphs about her lies, the complexity of advancement at this corp, and her treatment of me and it's too long and boring! Ugh it makes me so uncomfortable. I think @boes @Snaporaz @Anna Yolei are completely right it's bothering me way more than it should. Maybe the lies and her speech and actions trigger me but yeah. The thing is it's just a retail job; so I don't know if I should fight or stand up but I side on honesty in general and the fact I did what I was required and have as much if not more to offer. 

It doesn't matter that it's "just a retail job".  It's your place of employment.  All jobs have some degree of stress.  Some of that stress can be healthy, if it challenges you and makes you want to keep getting better and better.  But this stress you're experiencing, the kind that is literally making you sick?  No, no, no...that is completely different.  And the worst part is that has absolutely nothing to do with your job.  It's the interpersonal dynamics of assholes who are making your work environment toxic.  I'm just afraid that this is not going to get better.  If transferring to another store is an option, I think you should jump at the opportunity.  You shouldn't lose any seniority if you're just moving to a different location within the same company.  The actual work would be the same, but it would give you a fresh start with different people who might not be horrible assholes!  And all of your stress might end up being the good healthy kind, and it could make your workdays enjoyable.

I know it's hard...like I said, I've been through it, too.  You need to take control of the things you can take control of.  You can't really take control of the actions of ignorant people.  That's what it boils down to.  

Good luck!  We're rooting for you!

• Love 10
(edited)
7 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

it is international women's day.....

https://youtu.be/V6fHTyVmYp4

I may as well been at work, for all the phone calls and the over-flowing Email box. What are you yahoo's going to do when I go on vacation? -- And then the murders began. 

One of the Prevert's watches dachshund videos to "take me away." I admit they are hilarious, and squee-worthy.

After years of owning herding dogs and barn cats, my Grand-aunt Trinket (she's a tiny little thing) moved to a senior's townhouse and got herself a rescue dachshund, Melvin (named after her deceased 3rd husband -- Trinket's a spitfire and outlived all three husbands). Melvin's a relentless hunter, and there isn't a mouse, vole, raccoon, squirrel, stray cat, lizard or snake anywhere in her senior's housing division. Trinket's gone commercial with Melvin, and hires him out for rodent control. 

My video crack has morphed from industrial machine operation and cat videos to Street Food videos.

YouTube channels Aden Films, Street Food World, Crazy For Indian Food are fascinating, and bring back great memories traveling with Mr.Stunt.

Enjoy!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

To commemorate International Women's Day, a new statue (Fearless Girl) was installed on Wall Street.

A new statue stares down Wall Street’s bull. How she got there speaks volumes about gender norms in the workplace

The simple act of getting permission is emblematic of a need, shared by many women, to have 100% approval rather than boldly striding forth with an idea.

More than one survey has shown that women won’t apply for jobs they’re not certain of being completely qualified for. A KPMG 2015 survey asked women about the lessons they learned growing up. At the top, 86% responded “be nice to others,” and 85% learned to “be respectful to authorities/elders.” Near the bottom of the list: “Share your point of view.”

The girl symbolizes the future, says the group in a press release. That may be so, if the future looks like the past—with girls who are taught to ask for permission, rather than acting first and getting forgiveness later.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I had an aunt everyone called Bijou for the same reason!

Love it! Bijou is perfection.

My Grand-aunt Trinket opened a second-hand/consignment/pawn shop called after her nickname in the 40s. At the age of 87, she retired. She had some remaining pawn silver and turquoise jewelry after her last day, and located the families the pieces belonged to return to them. If they could pay her back for what was owed on the pawn ticket, that was fine, but she didn't care about the money; many negotiated a work trade with her. Three fellows came and helped her remove the store fixtures to deliver to the new buyer. Another family helped her list, compile items and work her ranch auction. This sort of work-for pawn-ticket went on for two years after the store closed. She's quite a gal.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Love it! Bijou is perfection.

My Grand-aunt Trinket opened a second-hand/consignment/pawn shop called after her nickname in the 40s. At the age of 87, she retired. She had some remaining pawn silver and turquoise jewelry after her last day, and located the families the pieces belonged to return to them. If the they could pay her back for what was owed on the pawn ticket, that was fine, but she didn't care about the money; many negotiated a work trade with her. Three fellows came and helped her remove the store fixtures to deliver to the new buyer. Another family helped her list, compile items and work her ranch auction. This sort of work-for pawn-ticket went on for two years after the store closed. She's quite a gal.

Wow what a great lady, I would have loved to have known her.

• Love 8

From the Huffington Post:

"Almost as if out of central casting, some Wall Street finance broseph appeared and started humping the statue while his gross date rape-y friends laughed and cheered him on,” Kaloyanides wrote on Friday.

“He pretended to have sex with the image of a little girl,” she continued. “Douchebags like this are why we need feminism.”"

Told ya.

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, peacheslatour said:

Wow what a great lady, I would have loved to have known her.

Trinket and my Grandmother drove down with my brother to Laughlin, Nevada last week for the PRCA Stampede. He was delivering horses, and those two  gambled and toured the flower bloom out in the desert. They'll be back home tomorrow; pockets full of filthy lucre.

I'm in Austin, Texas for the week.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I'm in Austin, Texas for the week.

I love it there!  I helped my sister with her move to Austin in 1995 and it wasn't at all what I expected.  My favorite thing is Eeyore's Birthday Party, which I think happens the last Saturday of April.  You get a contact buzz the minute you step in the park, yet somehow it's still "family friendly".  Are the wildflowers blooming yet?  Hope you're Keeping Austin Weird, @Cupid Stunt!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Cupid, have you seen any Handmaids?

There has to be a couple of platoons milling around the Austin Conference Center and venues. Some people are creeped out, particularly if the Handmaids are staring at you as you eat lunch. I was yucking it up with a group of radio talent at a street cart, when eight Handmaids glided up to us, shrouding us with their cloud of gloom. I asked them if they would like to join us, and offered to buy them coffee; the lead shook her head no and they moved down the sidewalk to haunt others. I suppose their public persona and demeanor is to be similar to the Grenadier Guards that are in front of Buckingham palace; they are not to speak or react to public enquiries so that they are not distracted from their duties.

It's making noise for HULU on social media, and the executives I was introduced to last night at The Gatsby, were drunkenly toasting their success and throwing money around -- "Yes, thank you. I'll have a IDÔL Vodka gimlet -- three hazelnuts, please." Internet TV people are spendthrifts and a little insecure about effective marketing.

6 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I love it there!  I helped my sister with her move to Austin in 1995 and it wasn't at all what I expected.  My favorite thing is Eeyore's Birthday Party, which I think happens the last Saturday of April.  You get a contact buzz the minute you step in the park, yet somehow it's still "family friendly".  Are the wildflowers blooming yet?  Hope you're Keeping Austin Weird, @Cupid Stunt!

Austin's a great town. I was told mid-state Texas has been dry and hot all winter; the city is lush and green, but it was looking a little parched when we flew into the airport.  

I wander around town and do a little shopping in the morning, field phone calls and Emails, go to a session conference, field phone calls and ignore the Emails, have lunch with colleagues, take a nap, ignore phone, work 5-7 music sets and chat up musicians, crawl into bed around 3AM -- hateful schedule.

As my children will attest, I'm hopelessly weird, so coming to Austin is like returning to the mothership.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6

A looong time ago before Lost premiered they did a covert campaign of missing posters for Jack in Evanston (one was by LePeep and another by an L stop) and I think posters for Charlie's band in a cafe. 

That show I never got into since it was a beast but but I've seen some episodes and the scenery and premise is nice. 

What's new with everyone?!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

What's new with everyone?!

Not much here, aside from the freaking COLD.  It was almost 80°F here two weeks ago, and today it's 8°F with the wind chill. The whole winter has been like this.

Are things any better at work, Petunia?  Did your promotion start yet?

Does anybody watch Survivor?  I can't with them anymore, because (a.) I hate that they give them animals like chickens to mistreat and kill, and (2.) Fuck You, Mark Burnett.  I saw the commercial during Y&R, and one of those assholes had a baby goat and it looked like they were going to kill it with their bare hands.  Does anyone know if they did it?  I hope PETA gets on their ass.

Edited by Snaporaz
added survivor question
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

What's new with everyone?

Nothing fun.

My daughter in New Haven has really bad flu/cold with vile cough. It's Spring Break at Yale, so no friends there to help her--they're in Gstaadt or Monaco, or Palm Beach, or whatever. With the supposed Snowmaggendon, New Haven closed all the streets and stores. [Hey folks, up here, we don't close streets. We learn to drive on snow or not drive.] And even Yale health service, for which I pay thousands a year, closes up and still charges for even minimal stuff we don't pay for here in Ontario. Sorry Mr Trump, our system works.

So I've been texting like mad to get a friend to drive down and pick her up--sinuses and ears won't let her fly. Think I've got it settled now, but Lord, it hurts when you feel like you can't do anything.

So there's my downer.

• Love 8

Poor girlie ?

My boys are on March break. We drove into Toronto on Monday for an appointment (Junction area, Pearlite), hung around the house yesterday in anticipation of the massive snowstorm and ended up getting about an inch of snow, and today I took my younger son bowling with a friend. We might go to a sugar bush tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, Capricasix said:

Margaret Atwood has tweeted that she approves of the Handmaid marketing campaign there!

Alright for Margaret, comfortable in Toronto, while the rest of the hoi polloi have to walk in the street while a Roman phalanx of Handmaid's have taken over the sidewalks of Austin.

Ides of March indeed.

840;550;0d9454f0d04de39033b3e0e3dfd8c153

Kiss me, I'm Irish!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

So I read the Previously re-cap for the most recent episode of Survivor.  Apparently, there was a baby goat and its nursing mother.  They were going to kill one, but ultimately decided that it wouldn't look too good for them to kill either a baby or a nursing mother on tv.  So they killed a chicken instead.  But Jeff Probst said that production would have been fine with it if they had decided to kill one or both of the goats.  Again...Fuck You, Mark Burnett.

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 7

I'm a vegetarian / part time vegan and don't find animals being killed even for eating entertaining. I'm not actually that fond of watching violence in general I think I've experienced it enough in rl. 

The past week or so I've reconnected with a long estranged family member on Facebook. And we are having nice chats about random things like movies, music, ghost stories etc. this person is very different than me in every way and full disclosure was in prison for some heavy shit. 

Also I think that lying woman is still coming back and gonna make drama. My transfer is completely blocked by my store director and he blocks me applying for any home office or corp jobs as well. I already went to the areas talent manager / recruiter and on e-mail she was down for the interview or inviting to management job fair and then she talked to him. I get that I'm a hard worker or useful and we're friends but I want to actually grow in my responsibilities and income. Also not work with crazy people. 

• Love 5