Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

That speculation is based only on that one Facebook screenshot, though, which could very well have been faked. Some media outlets (Global, for one) were presenting it as if it were verified to be from the suspect, when that wasn’t the case at all.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Capricasix said:

That speculation is based only on that one Facebook screenshot, though, which could very well have been faked. Some media outlets (Global, for one) were presenting it as if it were verified to be from the suspect, when that wasn’t the case at all.

There really isn't much anyone can say at this point. Unfortunately the attacker was a student at the college which is part of a joint university/college program that I run...and several students from the same college were victims of the attack. Keep in mind that Seneca is a huge institution with nearly 100K students.

• Love 8

Toronto driver charged with 10 counts of 1st degree murder

Almighty God, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, come to the help of these families afflicted by this senseless violence and guide them through the fear and grief they bear. Through Your care take on their burden of anxiety and distress. Help them endure with faith, courage and wisdom. Grant that this trial may bring them closer to You for You are our comfort and hope, and to trust in Your love and compassion. Blessed is Your name, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and forever. Amen.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Capricasix said:

I think it is verified now.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/breakingnews/what-we-know-about-alek-minassian-alleged-driver-in-deadly-toronto-van-attack/ar-AAwfNh7?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

• Love 5

The last few days have been absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful blue skies, temps in the seventies. For the first time ever I have daffodils, camelias, lilacs, dogwood and wisteria all blooming at the same time. Must have been the extended winter weather.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

?Y&R prevert squad mount up.?I considered at(@)-ing your handles anyhow how is everyone?

@Cupid Stunt I'm thinking of you and your family ❤️️ You rock. 

(((Petunia)))

The family left for home this morning. I was sorry to see them go. I'm going to miss walking into the house to my mother's home-cooked meals.

Bea's scheduled to return to the clinic study in July, while she continues monitoring with her regular physician. She wasn't specific, but one of the researchers wants to follow her tumor progress with her regular doctor's.

15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The last few days have been absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful blue skies, temps in the seventies. For the first time ever I have daffodils, camelias, lilacs, dogwood and wisteria all blooming at the same time. Must have been the extended winter weather.

It's been a long winter everywhere. An explosion of spring flowers has got to be especially welcome.

• Love 6

NORRISTOWN, Pa. — Bill Cosby, who once embodied the idealized American father on a wildly popular sitcom, was convicted of sexual assault on Thursday in a high-stakes retrial after a half-dozen women testified that the famed comedian drugged and assaulted them.

The jury found Cosby guilty on all three counts of Thursday afternoon, drawing an emotional reaction from his accusers. Cosby remains free on bail until sentencing.

From NBC News.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

NORRISTOWN, Pa. — Bill Cosby, who once embodied the idealized American father on a wildly popular sitcom, was convicted of sexual assault on Thursday in a high-stakes retrial after a half-dozen women testified that the famed comedian drugged and assaulted them.

The jury found Cosby guilty on all three counts of Thursday afternoon, drawing an emotional reaction from his accusers. Cosby remains free on bail until sentencing.

From NBC News.

As I texted PearliteLite, #dirtyoldpig.

• Love 6

And while I'm at it, the whole Incel heap of sickening crap that's resurfaced, at least in TO, relative to Monday's van driver, makes my flesh crawl. And confirms for PearliteLite, the theologian, that evil never went anywhere, it's pretty much always here.

• Love 7

I had a long talk with my son yesterday about the whole "involuntary celibate" thing. I was aware of MRA's, PUA's and Return of the Kings groups but incels are a whole nother level of entitled crappola. Apparently some of these idiots think denial of sex is the same as rape. And it's not just that women are denying them sex, it's that "Stacies" ( attractive women) are shallow bitches who only go out with "Chads" (attractive men) . The only women they really want are super model, fourteen year old virgins because women become used up after that. And if any of these guys friends do manage to get a girlfriend, then they are cucks who only are wanted for their money.

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Thing2 and I talked about Incels. He shook his head and said that assholes that create a clique that hate women is self-fulfilling. They deserve to not get laid.

Yep. My son said the same thing. He laughed about a couple of them he saw around in high school. He said they were total creeps that couldn't even get near any of the cute girls but made no effort whatsoever to improve themselves. They blamed the girls. Dumbasses.

• Love 7

My job is still not going well. My production is very good (I am the only one who made a sale and I have a potential deal that is huge) but I'm being picked on relentlessly. I seem to be the only person there besides the software developers that's working. If they're fine with letting people act idiotic all day and treat the only person making them money like ? then I need to look elsewhere. 

The fact that each job I've had in the past 5 years I've been bullied shows something about me too. at the same time I don't see what I'm doing wrong by being introverted or too serious. There is always going to be people who behave differently. 

• Love 9

Petunia, I’m sorry your coworkers are jerks ? What is wrong with people? Apparently it’s too much to ask that they not act like children - heck, most children probably behave better!

Pearlite - I just saw a four-year-old post of yours in the Coronation Street forum ?

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Capricasix said:

Pearlite - I just saw a four-year-old post of yours in the Coronation Street forum ?

That's funny! I more or less gave up on the show a few years ago, sad to say. Those forums unfortunately didn't have a lot going for them.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:44 AM, Petunia13 said:

My job is still not going well. My production is very good (I am the only one who made a sale and I have a potential deal that is huge) but I'm being picked on relentlessly. I seem to be the only person there besides the software developers that's working. If they're fine with letting people act idiotic all day and treat the only person making them money like ? then I need to look elsewhere. 

The fact that each job I've had in the past 5 years I've been bullied shows something about me too, at the same time I don't see what I'm doing wrong by being introverted or too serious. There is always going to be people who behave differently. 

It's important that you've recognized this debilitating pattern. An employment counselor or employment coach would be able to assist you avoid making the same choices in the future,

I'm sorry that your hard work is wasted on these clowns. Focus on the new sales contract and servicing the customer. If you can work and make sales calls outside of the office, do so as much as possible as you look for a different position. 

You didn't say who is harassing you, but it's outrageous behavior. If the harassment is coming from the owner/boss and you don't feel you can calmly tell this person that it is unprofessional, illegal behavior, and it must stop, you may have to leave if only to protect yourself. I would file a complaint with your local department of employment -- There should be a division that handles employee abuse (you may be directed to the city/state Attorney General office). Collect information, keep notes, take all hard copies you have generated on sales calls when you leave.

3 Dogs Are Rebuilding Chilean Forests Once Devastated By Fire

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9

New Orleans-born saxophone player Charles Neville, who once backed up B.B. King and later gained fame with the Neville Brothers band and their rollicking blend of funk, jazz and rhythm and blues, has died April 27 from pancreatic cancer. He was 79. Charles Neville was the second-oldest of four brothers, all of whom would go on to form that legendary, eponymous and definitional Crescent City band.

Neville's career dated to the 1950s when he performed with King and other musical greats. Yet he was best known for three decades of performances with his siblings Aaron, Art and Cyril as the Grammy-winning Neville Brothers band. The band was formed in the 1970s and gained fans with high-energy performances featuring a distinctive fusion of funk, jazz and New Orleans rhythm and blues. Charles' Neville's life included a stint at Louisiana's state prison in the early 1960s. He told an interviewer that he was sentenced to five years for possession of two marijuana cigarettes. The prison was notoriously dangerous but Neville said on the public radio program Music Inside Out that the time there sharpened his musicianship. He explained that he worked in the prison music room. "I stayed in the music room practicing all day," he said. He also had access to books on music, and, at times, exposure to other imprisoned musicians. "James Booker was there," he said, referring to the celebrated New Orleans pianist. 

Neville played his saxophone as member of the renowned Dew Drop Inn's house band, supporting legendary musicians like Allen Toussaint, James Booker, Huey "Piano" Smith and Ernie K. Doe. Simultaneously, the Neville brothers cut their teeth playing in various R&B and blues bands in the 1950s and '60s like The Meters, as well as the proto-Neville Brothers group Neville Sounds. Neville relocated to New York, immersing himself in the incomparable '70s jazz scene there, but returned to New Orleans before the end of the decade to play with all three of his brothers. The 1976 album The Wild Tchoupitoulas, which Neville helped arrange and featured contributions from all of his brothers, captured the sound of the Mardi Gras Indians tradition. It was recorded with the Neville's uncle Big Chief Jolly, and served as an incubator for The Neville Brothers' band, which officially formed the following year.

A little more than a decade later, The Neville Brothers won a Grammy in 1989 for Best Pop Instrumental Performance for "Healing Chant," a highlight from the band's album Yellow Moon that centered around Charles' saxophone. The group spent decades traveling the world, spreading the message of New Orleans funk, before suspending those treks in the late '90s when Art Neville experienced health troubles

A publicist for Aaron Neville's management agency confirmed the death in an email. Aaron Neville, who first disclosed the news to WWL-TV in New Orleans, declined an interview but posted a lengthy tribute to his brother on Facebook. "I know you have a spot in the heavenly band next to James Booker, James Black, Herbert Hardesty, Fats Domino, Johnny Adams all the jazz bebop players who you turned me on to," Aaron Neville wrote. "Dizzy, Charlie Parker, Miles and the list goes on."

Charles Neville, who lived in Massachusetts in recent years, had announced in January that he had pancreatic cancer. His death came a day before the opening of his home town's signature musical and cultural event, the annual New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. The Neville Brothers were a fixture on closing day of the festival for years. And members of the family continue to be a part of the event. Aaron is scheduled for a May 4 performance. 

This is an interview on American Routes, with sax  jazzmen Charles Lloyd and Charles Neville -- April 26th, 2017

• Love 5

On April 23, jazz musician Bob Dorough died of natural causes at his home in Mount Bethel, Pennsylvania, at the age of 94. Dorough made his mark on the minds of a generation as the musical director on Schoolhouse Rock!, which rocked classrooms from 1973 to 1985 and 1993 to 1999. On Schoolhouse Rock!, Dorough taught children about conjunctions and adverbs through jazz-influenced songs that were catchy and fun without being trite. The songwriter didn’t dumb lyrics down for his young audience, and stuck to a maxim throughout his work: “Keep things happy, funny, and clever.”

Dorough was born in Arkansas and grew up in Plainview, Texas. There, he began playing clarinet with the junior high band, and a high school band director got him hooked on music. Dorough went on to study music at Texas Tech University, where he first became interested in jazz. After being drafted in 1943, he spent three years playing in the Special Services Army Band Unit before graduating with a degree in music from the University of North Texas in 1949. Dorough then had a start-and-stop journey to becoming a jazz musician. After some years on the road as the musical director for professional boxer Sugar Ray Robinson and a stint in Paris, Dorough landed in New York, where he released his debut album, Devil May Care, in 1956. That album, particularly the song “Baltimore Oriole,” caught the attention of Miles Davis.

Dorough and Davis briefly worked together on songs, but not for long. In 1962 Dorough was invited to compose a Christmas song for Davis. They recorded his cynical “Blue Xmas” for Columbia Records’ Jingle Bell Jazz and also his “Nothing Like You.” “It was a Gil Evans arrangement,” Dorough says. “Miles called Gil up to his house, and we worked all night on the chart. The next day we recorded. I didn’t even think it turned out that well. But Miles dropped it on his album Sorcerer in 1966. Because of that, the song became quite famous.” Yet Dorough would never work with Davis again. “I kind of blew it,” he says. “I was getting busy with my family; we moved to Pennsylvania. Every time I called, his number was changed. I really lost track of him, and I’ll always regret that.” In Davis’ autobiography, he devoted just a single sentence to Dorough, labeling him that “silly singer.”

As his jazz career waned, Dorough took a day job writing jingles at an advertising agency. In 1971, his boss, David McCall, asked him to write a song about multiplication, explaining to Dorough that his son struggled with remembering his multiplication tables but knew all the words to Jimi Hendrix songs. Dorough landed on the concept of three as a magic number, eventually writing the first song of what would become Schoolhouse Rock!, “Three Is a Magic Number.”

Schoolhouse Rock!

After the popularity of Schoolhouse Rock!, Dorough continued playing jazz, eventually signing with Blue Note Records and releasing three albums with them: Right on My Way Home, Too Much Coffee Man, and Who’s On First. Jazz fans will remember Dorough through his albums, and a larger, multigenerational group will recall his classics—every time they think of the function of a conjunction.

• Love 6

I tried changing my hair color and I hate it. It's so dark it's almost black and boring. Hair dresser says we can go back to burgundy next time but I'll have to wait a little while longer between sessions for the color to fade. Hopefully it'll lighten a bit over time. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I tried changing my hair color and I hate it. It's so dark it's almost black and boring. Hair dresser says we can go back to burgundy next time but I'll have to wait a little while longer between sessions for the color to fade. Hopefully it'll lighten a bit over time. 

I hear ya.  My natural color is very light brown/dark blonde, but my hair is very porous, so when I ask for my natural color it greatly absorbs the color and turns out almost black.  I don't wait too long to have it fixed.  Then I wonder why I have had so many episodes of my hair breaking!

• Love 5
(edited)

Glad I'm not alone at least, heh. My coworker asked if I was now planning on being a goth, heh. 

Steve is good but he's being wary around me since yesterday. I think my hair color is throwing him off, heh. 

I wanted the first picture. I would have settled for the second picture. Instead I got the third, heh. 

The last photo is the new color that I want. Or back to the deep red mahogany, whatever. I just miss having auburn  hair.

Brown-Hair-Color-with-Golden-Highlights.jpg

f22630257c99d29dadde3b5c513f2a8a.jpg

image.jpg

AVEDA-Hair-Color.jpg

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 8

You guys are lucky you can pull of auburn or reddish tone hair! That's funny Steve is thrown by your hair change he probably thinks "why is Mama's feathers changing?"  ❤️

• Love 7
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Glad I'm not alone at least, heh. My coworker asked if I was now planning on being a goth, heh. 

Steve is good but he's being wary around me since yesterday. I think my hair color is throwing him off, heh. 

I wanted the first picture. I would have settled for the second picture. Instead I got the third, heh. 

The last photo is the new color that I want. Or back to the deep red mahogany, whatever. I just miss having auburn  hair.

AVEDA-Hair-Color.jpg

Oops ... Wednesday Adams is pretty dark.

I do like the mahogany. Aveda has an attractive color dye pallet.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

You guys are lucky you can pull of auburn or reddish tone hair! That's funny Steve is thrown by your hair change he probably thinks "why is Mama's feathers changing?"  ❤️

Haha, definitely. He seems so unhappy. 

Cupid - My hair has been deep red mahogany for awhile now. I love it. My salon uses L'Oréal not Aveda, but hopefully they have something similar.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Aveda has an attractive color dye pallet.

Aveda color and my hair are not friends.  Whenever I got an Aveda blonde it looked crayon yellow.  But Aveda turns out so nice on others!  I think I just have a serious case of special snowflake hair LOL.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ByTor said:

Aveda color and my hair are not friends.  Whenever I got an Aveda blonde it looked crayon yellow.  But Aveda turns out so nice on others!  I think I just have a serious case of special snowflake hair LOL.

I haven't used Aveda color since 2000, when Horst Rechelbacher sold the company to Estee Lauder. My stylist uses Wella.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I haven't used Aveda color since 2000, when Horst Rechelbacher sold the company to Estee Lauder. My stylist uses Wella.

I remember being very upset when Aveda sold to Estée Lauder.  They got rid of some products I really liked (goodbye sap moss!) and replaced them with ones that are IMO inferior.  I believe the place I go uses L’Oréal. The place I went before this one (I switch a lot LOL) used Goldwell.

• Love 1

tee hee hee i use red henna from the spice shop when i colour my hair..

i'm allergic to hair dye so can only use henna.

for a while early on, i used  the "wash out within 6 wks." colouring and i loved the "burgundy" one.

someone commented that i had purple hair and i told them no it wasn't, it was a deep red wine colour..

• Love 3

I’m sure this is the wrong place to ask this question but couldn’t figure out where to post it. Does anyone know why some shows are shown in red and some in black? I’m sure there’s an obvious answer that isn’t obvious to me. Thanks for any information that you can give me!

The DC Arboretum Eagle Nest Cam Project

The two eggs of ‘MR. PRESIDENT’&‘THE FIRST LADY’ have hatched.

4 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I’m sure this is the wrong place to ask this question but couldn’t figure out where to post it. Does anyone know why some shows are shown in red and some in black? I’m sure there’s an obvious answer that isn’t obvious to me. Thanks for any information that you can give me!

I think show titles in red are presently being broadcast. Show titles in black are off the air.

• Love 4

I wanted to post on this didn't since I already selfishly clog up the thread w my work bitching, it's been going on a couple months. My mom minds George at her house while I work and when I pick him up all night and all weekend he's extremely agitated and anxious emotionally. He also has to pee and poo immediately. When I drop him off she's lying in the same place watching the same show and at pick up doing the same. When I speak to her justs about random shit like small talk ...she's very apathetic zombie non reaction or dwelling on unrelated matters that's dreary or some made up illness. I can't really bring it up but it's at the point I can't do anything at night or weekends since I'm spending 3-4 hour stretches walking G or comforting him. I get mad like his morning I yelled at him he wouldn't let me even go to the bathroom he or he's like jumping around nervous 

• Love 5

grrrrrrrr, we got an f10 error code on my electric range....it's an 8/9 yr old kenmore..

an f10 error code means "runaway temperature"..

the first time it happened was last week when i was making cinnamon buns and after they were in the oven about 10 min. or so we noticed they were burning...opened the oven door, smoke poured out, smoke detectors ALL went off...hubby said i must have turned the oven to broil in error..didn't think i did but whatever....turned off breaker for 10 min. and didn't think anymore of it....

then on weds. hubby was going to bake some beets in the oven...sure enough, after about 10 min or so same thing happened again only this time f10 kept flashing on oven control and hubby turned off the breaker to turn off oven.

so, i went on google to see what could be done.  google said only thing to do was replace eoc on the range....you tube showed how to take off the back of the stove to get to eoc to remove to replace....however, hubby noticed that the plastic guard with the wires that plugs into eoc had melted....that means a new electric range....$700 at the very minimum.

we are going out today to check the stores and hopefully, someplace will have one in stock instead of having to wait a week for delivery.. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Capricasix said:

S’up, ladies, my name’s Slim Shady!

; )

"This rock star shit, it's the life for me"

***It's Eminem uncensored, so there are naughty words involved***

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

You didn't ask for advice Petunia, so I'm just going to ask a question. Would our George be better off at home alone than with your mom? It sounds like he's miserable.

It sounds like your mother is miserable, and George is suffering from her misery.

2 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

grrrrrrrr, we got an f10 error code on my electric range....it's an 8/9 yr old kenmore..

an f10 error code means "runaway temperature"..

the first time it happened was last week when i was making cinnamon buns and after they were in the oven about 10 min. or so we noticed they were burning...opened the oven door, smoke poured out, smoke detectors ALL went off...hubby said i must have turned the oven to broil in error..didn't think i did but whatever....turned off breaker for 10 min. and didn't think anymore of it....

then on weds. hubby was going to bake some beets in the oven...sure enough, after about 10 min or so same thing happened again only this time f10 kept flashing on oven control and hubby turned off the breaker to turn off oven.

so, i went on google to see what could be done.  google said only thing to do was replace eoc on the range....you tube showed how to take off the back of the stove to get to eoc to remove to replace....however, hubby noticed that the plastic guard with the wires that plugs into eoc had melted....that means a new electric range....$700 at the very minimum.

we are going out today to check the stores and hopefully, someplace will have one in stock instead of having to wait a week for delivery.. 

Time for a thermostat?

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I wanted to post on this didn't since I already selfishly clog up the thread w my work bitching, it's been going on a couple months. My mom minds George at her house while I work and when I pick him up all night and all weekend he's extremely agitated and anxious emotionally. He also has to pee and poo immediately. When I drop him off she's lying in the same place watching the same show and at pick up doing the same. When I speak to her justs about random shit like small talk ...she's very apathetic zombie non reaction or dwelling on unrelated matters that's dreary or some made up illness. I can't really bring it up but it's at the point I can't do anything at night or weekends since I'm spending 3-4 hour stretches walking G or comforting him. I get mad like his morning I yelled at him he wouldn't let me even go to the bathroom he or he's like jumping around nervous 

:(

What about keeping him home but having a dog walker come to take him out and make sure he does his business during the day? My manager does this with her dog. 

Or putting him in a doggie day care center? We have one near where I work, people drop off their dogs, they aren't caged, and they interact with other dogs, get walked, etc.

• Love 5