Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, pearlite said:

You too?

At that point I lived just up Avenue Road from Bloor.

I was in the Manulife building at 44 Charles. (Right at Bay and Bloor) Had the LCBO, movie theatres, gym, grocery *in my building*! My friends called me Jill Abbott! Lol. Remember when she lived in a hotel?

• Love 4
On 2018-05-12 at 3:20 PM, pearlite said:

Yup, I did--in both their first two stores before the Manulife one--Bloor Street was quite the experience, wasn't it?

It was! I enjoyed working downtown when I lived in the city, but then when we moved to the burbs, it was a long commute - three hours round-trip on the GO train and subway.

42 minutes ago, miamama said:

I was in the Manulife building at 44 Charles. (Right at Bay and Bloor) Had the LCBO, movie theatres, gym, grocery *in my building*! My friends called me Jill Abbott! Lol. Remember when she lived in a hotel?

Holy crap! I used to buy snacks for my office at that Valu-Mart! And I saw many movies at the Varsity. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Holy shitballs, the emergency alert went off on my cell phone just now! At least it works, after messing up last week. Anyone else get an Amber Alert on their phones?

Yup! Freaked me out!

I get PearliteLite's Yale alerts on my phone, but those don't squawk at me.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Yup! Freaked me out!

I get PearliteLite's Yale alerts on my phone, but those don't squawk at me.

Yes. Everyone’s phones went off in the office! 

35 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

It was! I enjoyed working downtown when I lived in the city, but then when we moved to the burbs, it was a long commute - three hours round-trip on the GO train and subway.

Holy crap! I used to buy snacks for my office at that Valu-Mart! And I saw many movies at the Varsity. 

Crazy. We probably saw each other. ?

• Love 5

rami malek starred in the tv series"i robot" i think it was called.

he played a hacker...almost didn't recognize him at first..

have to wonder tho if the songs are dubbed/lip synced or if he is really singing..

anyway, sure looks good

• Love 6
14 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

rami malek starred in the tv series"i robot" i think it was called.

It's Mr. Robot, and it's still on, well, Season 4 will be back in October. It also stars Christian Slater, whom I've loved ever since Heathers.

• Love 5
(edited)

The cutest thing happened today. I was at Bartells buying some cards and stuff. While I was waiting to pay there was a kid ahead of me trying to buy a vitamin water and some ear buds. He looked about 11 or 12 and he was short on funds. He put back the vitamin water and he was still short. All of a sudden I heard myself say "How much do you need?" The cashier said $1.99, so I said "Go ahead and ring it up with my stuff" After handing me the twenty he was going to use, the kid was totally bowled over saying thank you so much, over and over again. The cashier burst into tears and said I'd just made her day. Lol. Oh, and I made sure he got his vitamin water too. It's so easy to make people happy with hardly any effort. I wish I could do it full time.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 18

Aww, it was really nothing. You should have seen this kid. He was so embarrassed, his cheeks were flaming red and he looked like he wanted the floor to swallow him up. He even brought his own bag! Any Prevert would have done the same thing.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Capricasix said:

You’re a good egg, Peach ❤️

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Aww, it was really nothing. You should have seen this kid. He was so embarrassed, his cheeks were flaming red and he looked like he wanted the floor to swallow him up. He even brought his own bag! Any Prevert would have done the same thing.

Yep, Peacheslatour, you are.  Very good egg.

I firmly believe it's the multitude of small kindnesses that keeps our planet spinning and gives us light among the bull crap.

You done good!

• Love 13
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It was everything to him.

It reminds me of a something C.S.Lewis wrote:

"Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you did."

Well and truly done, Peaches.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The cutest thing happened today. I was at Bartells buying some cards and stuff. While I was waiting to pay there was a kid ahead of me trying to buy a vitamin water and some ear buds. He looked about 11 or 12 and he was short on funds. He put back the vitamin water and he was still short. All of a sudden I heard myself say "How much do you need?" The cashier said $1.99, so I said "Go ahead and ring it up with my stuff" After handing me the twenty he was going to use, the kid was totally bowled over saying thank you so much, over and over again. The cashier burst into tears and said I'd just made her day. Lol. Oh, and I made sure he got his vitamin water too. It's so easy to make people happy with hardly any effort. I wish I could do it full time.

I love you

• Love 4

A recipe for Peaches --

Aunt Trinket's Chocolate Ganache Tarts

Serves 4

Crust:

3 ounces butter

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

3 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup flour 

1. Preheat the oven to 410º F (210º C).
  2. Put all the ingredients for the crust, except for the flour in an ovenproof bowl and place it in the oven for about 15 minutes, until the mixture starts bubbling and starts to brown a little on the edges.
  3. Carefully remove the bowl from the oven and add the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon or a spatula until the dough forms into a uniform ball.
  4. Reduce the temperature to 375 º F (190º C).
  5. Let the dough rest a little, divide it in 4 equal parts (you can use 4 tartlet pans of 4.5 inch (11.5 cm) or a large 11.5 inch (30 cm) tart pan ) and press it into each pan, creating an even layer on the sides and on the bottom.
  6. Prick the bottom using a fork and blind bake (line the tartlet pans with baking paper and fill them with beans) for about 10 minutes.
  7. Remove the beans and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
  8. Let them cool before filling.

Ganache filling:

2/3 cup whipping cream

4 ounces 55% or 75% dark chocolate 

1. Break the dark chocolate into small pieces and put it in a bowl.
  2. Heat the whipping cream over a double broiler until it starts to boil, remove from heat and pour it over the chocolate.
  3. Stir continuously until chocolate starts to melt and you get a silky creamy chocolate mixture.
  4. Let it cool for a few minutes before pouring into tart cooled shells.

For topping: 

1. Toasted and chopped pistachios, with pomegranate seeds or raspberries

Assembly:

1. Pour the chocolate ganache into the cooled tart shells and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
  2. Decorate with crushed roasted pistachio and pomegranate seeds. These are great for their taste, but also for add color

Aunt Trinket recommends using custard cups, short ramekins, mini ceramic pie pans (Glossy White Round Ceramic Pie Dishes from Home Depot), or ceramic tart pans (Revol ceramic tart pans) -- Glass and ceramic bakes evenly and doesn't scorch the crust like metal.

set-of-2-soft-cream-les-naturels-tartlet

• Love 5

I just saw on Twitter that the CW is rebooting Charmed...the original series is what got me into the first iteration of TWOP, specifically Demian’s recaps - he/she hated the show so much, but still had to do the recaps!

• Love 3

So that partner that was hassling me moved into my office while he was visiting this week and was pestering the shit out of me, was disruptive and offensive to me and my clients, and denied a time off request (already approved by all managers 1 hour btw) out of spite. So this morning I deleted a favorable review of him and his company he made me post on Glassdoor ? I don't do favors for people that treat me poorly. 

I applied to one one of the competitors this week as well. It is especially outrageous that I'm the only one of the entire sales team making sales and even able to source leads and he's still a huge asshole to me. I mean he must want a shitty team lol. Can't relate 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/18/2018 at 6:40 AM, Petunia13 said:

So that partner that was hassling me moved into my office while he was visiting this week and was pestering the shit out of me, was disruptive and offensive to me and my clients, and denied a time off request (already approved by all managers 1 hour btw) out of spite. So this morning I deleted a favorable review of him and his company he made me post on Glassdoor ? I don't do favors for people that treat me poorly. 

I applied to one one of the competitors this week as well. It is especially outrageous that I'm the only one of the entire sales team making sales and even able to source leads and he's still a huge asshole to me. I mean he must want a shitty team lol. Can't relate 

Go get 'em! The place where you work now needs to step  up and realize you're the best thing that's ever happened to them.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I don't really care about this stupid wedding, yet, here I am watching with tears streaming down my face. I'm such a sap.

You aren't the only one. In this crazy world it's nice to see 2 people find peace in each other.  She and her mother looked so elegant and he was glowing with love. 

• Love 6
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, Petunia13 said:

You were put in your own office so he could bat you around for fun, while leaving everyone else to work in peace?

<shakes head>

No one who depends on sales to keep the lights on and the doors open can relate to that sort of behavior.

4 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I don't really care about this stupid wedding, yet, here I am watching with tears streaming down my face. I'm such a sap.

Right? For weeks it's been non-stop Megan and Harry.

I've been hanging with teenagers all week, getting them fitted with prom dresses and formal suits, and all they talk about is Meghan Markle and the wedding preparations. I chaperoned a prom last night, and from the dance I went to a Royal Wedding party that was in full swing. I dozed through the first two hours, and watched the ceremony -- It was beautiful and very moving wedding service. 

Meghan's dress and veil was exquisite, and Harry was handsome in his frockcoat uniform of the Blues and Royals.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, MollyB said:

Jewel21, how are you doing?

Aww, thank you for asking. I'm doing okay. Started lowing my meds in the beginning of the week and felt some anxiousness. Not sure if it's actual withdrawal symptoms or if it's psychological at this point. I've been trying to distract myself by reading a ton. 

Steve isn't eating as much and his stools are gassy so I'm worried he has an infection but for now I'm just keeping an eye on him. He sang this morning so hopefully that's a sign he's feeling better. 

And while I am happy for Prince Harry, a part of me is also sad. He was supposed to be my husband, damn it. ;-)

How have you been?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Aww, thank you for asking. I'm doing okay. Started lowing my meds in the beginning of the week and felt some anxiousness. Not sure if it's actual withdrawal symptoms or if it's psychological at this point. I've been trying to distract myself by reading a ton. 

I had a hard time distinguishing physical from psychological, too.  Either way, it's still real and has to be dealt with.

I'm doing well, thanks.  I am moving to CA soon as I sell my house and this little adventure will be the true test of my ability to cope.  So much stuff to pack and a house to get into shape.  Keep me laughing, Preverts!

• Love 9

I always wanted to live in California, ever since I started reading Sweet Valley High books at the age of 7, heh.

I've downloaded a breathing app and some meditations although I am failing spectacularly at the meditation. I have never been able to quiet my mind which is like the whole point of meditation. The breathing app is simple but does help. 

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Yea he's pretty handsome IMHO! Why can't we have dudes like that on soaps anymore? 

Why indeed. LA must be bristling with guys that hot and what do we get? The Vyles, the Buttbiscuits and the Darvons.  Fuck you, Mal.

• Love 7
On 5/19/2018 at 7:06 AM, AngelKitty said:

I only saw a few clips (since I don't really even want to sit through the wedding ceremonies of people I know!), but I thought it was great!  I'd like to think she just delivered a big F-U to all of the newly emboldened white supremicist nazi assholes on both sides of the Atlantic.  

I read in The Guardian that she adopted a beagle that was found as a stray in Kentucky and put on a euthanasia list when he had no takers.  Now that dog will be living in a palace!  They said that was the real "rags to riches" story.

• Love 10
On 4/21/2018 at 11:05 PM, bannana said:

Wild is the Wind is my all time favourite song by Bowie. 

I love that song so much. It's my second fave Bowie song. I consider it Bowie's "Angie", which is probably my second fave Stones song.

On 5/3/2018 at 5:25 PM, valleycliffe said:

tee hee hee i use red henna from the spice shop when i colour my hair..

i'm allergic to hair dye so can only use henna.

for a while early on, i used  the "wash out within 6 wks." colouring and i loved the "burgundy" one.

someone commented that i had purple hair and i told them no it wasn't, it was a deep red wine colour..

I just henna'd yesterday. I used to be able to go every two months and not use it at all in the summer when I'd get red highlights from the sun. But hard water and some grey have me doing it every month now. I have a recipe that I've developed. I brew red Zinger tea (4 bags) in a cup of boiled spring water. Then I reheat that and add it to the henna, 1 Tbs of ground ginger and 1 Tbs of olive oil. And then I leave it in for 3-5 hours. I did 4 hrs this time. The spring water is because my hard water was making it not last very long at all. (I didn't always live where I live now.) The Red Zinger is acidic and helps the henna cover the grey. The evoo is for conditioning. The ginger is supposed to help with the smell. I've been using henna since 1980 and I still hate the smell of it. Luckily it only stinks for a week. But in the heat of the summer the smell comes on fast. I think I might be a little over sensitive to the scent, though. And I have a special outfit I wear when I henna, I call it "the rags of hell". Henna can be messy and stain stuff.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I only saw a few clips (since I don't really even want to sit through the wedding ceremonies of people I know!), but I thought it was great!  I'd like to think she just delivered a big F-U to all of the newly emboldened white supremicist nazi assholes on both sides of the Atlantic.  

I read in The Guardian that she adopted a beagle that was found as a stray in Kentucky and put on a euthanasia list when he had no takers.  Now that dog will be living in a palace!  They said that was the real "rags to riches" story.

Hee hee, the dog rode to the wedding with the Queen. She’s had a big sad since her last corgi died a few weeks ago, so she took the beagle along. 

• Love 9