Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: We Done Son

The DMX storyline didn't work for me. DMX didn't make it big until 1998. It has been established that this show is based in the early 90s (Shaq still playing on the Magic). Bugged me to no end.

Yeah, I thought he was a bit later than this show (takes place in 1995, currently). Turns out he was indeed kickin' around back then, just not as a famous solo artist. Who knew?

I found myself thinking Honey deserves a better friend than Jessica...

I actually kind of enjoyed seeing DMX. I like this show in part for nostalgia and I did listen to DMX in the late 90's.

Though I agree having a new celeb every episode (they haven't done this...yet) will kind of kill the "cool factor" of it.

• Love 1

Its hard to beat Shaq when it comes to shameless cameos. That one was heard to beat. 

I liked focusing on Honey and Jessica, and I don't think either of them really came off terrible. Well, Jessica is always a bit...insensitive, but thats just Jessica for you. 

At least Evan got a little scene. We need more Emory and Evan! Always!

• Love 2

I thought the thing with DMX was great! I had no idea who he was, but I loved how they made him so un-stereotyped.

ITA. I don't know him, but he made me laugh a few times.

Eddie: Girl trouble.

DMX: Extrapolate.

• Love 8

Is consulting a fortune teller really a "thing" in the Chinese community?

Yes. My cousins wouldn't name their children until they consulted a fortune teller. Our weddings couldn't have a date unless it was an auspicious date determined by one (though I just found one that worked for us via the web). I know some of my relatives wouldn't make life decisions without consulting one first. I think it's a complete waste of time and money, but I didn't grow up in that kind of environment perse.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the Jessica/Honey part of this episode.  I like their relationship and the fight and the makeup.  I loved how Evan gave Honey a box of her stuff back and Jessica had stuck in that ugly wooden elephant.  And the line from Jessica... "we got Xinged".

I thought DMX was OK, but I couldn't stop thinking that he looked so old.  He's probably about 45 now, and was supposed to be playing his 25 year old self.  Didn't work.  He looked 45.  It was also just so completely random.  Somebody like DMX who lives in that huge mansion wouldn't be posting a flyer at the country club looking for a nanny.  He would have had one of his "people" find someone.  And he wouldn't have hired a 12 year old kid who knows nothing about childcare.

The Barry/Louis storyline fell completely flat for me.  I didn't find it amusing in the least.  And his whole "it's called eBay"?  No, just no.  eBay's original name wasn't eBay and it was founded in California by a Middle Eastern - American.  I get that this whole thing was supposed to be played for laughs, but in the age of the internet, where facts are easily checked, it just doesn't work.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the Jessica/Honey part of this episode.  I like their relationship and the fight and the makeup.  I loved how Evan gave Honey a box of her stuff back and Jessica had stuck in that ugly wooden elephant.  And the line from Jessica... "we got Xinged".

I thought DMX was OK, but I couldn't stop thinking that he looked so old.  He's probably about 45 now, and was supposed to be playing his 25 year old self.  Didn't work.  He looked 45.  It was also just so completely random.  Somebody like DMX who lives in that huge mansion wouldn't be posting a flyer at the country club looking for a nanny.  He would have had one of his "people" find someone.  And he wouldn't have hired a 12 year old kid who knows nothing about childcare.

They had a line about "wow, you look much older in person," kind of making fun of the fact that we're "supposed to" believe this is his 1995 self. Same with Shaq a few eps back, they said he was a lot bigger "in the off season." If they'd had some rando actor and said he was DMX, it wouldn't have been as funny. Also, technically Eddie was just "an extra set of hands around the house," but I agree that in real life, DMX would not have to use a flyer. Good thing it's a silly sitcom ;)

• Love 6

The Jessica/Honey fight was too sad. Honey's face when Jessica said they weren't friends anymore was heartbreaking. As was Jessica's face when Honey wouldn't let her pretend that nothing happened. I just love their friendship so much and I'm glad that Jessica realized that she needs to treat Honey like her equal. The scene where the Grandmother admits that she is lonely was also too sad.

I liked the DMX story and the line that "fatherhood ages you" to explain why he looked 20 years older. It also made me laugh because I was around Eddie's age back then and when I was 11-12, I started baby-sitting. I would regularly watch a neighbor's infant alone and it didn't seem strange or inappropriate. Now I look back and think 'what kind of crazy person leaves their infant with a child?' but at the time it was fine.

• Love 4

The flyer wasn't for a nanny. It was for someone to help with household chores because presumably the new parents were occupied with the baby. I wanted to say if this is supposed to be before DMX really blew up, it might make sense, but then the house and his name recognition with the kids was too much for him to be on that cusp-of-fame vibe. So yeah, it stretches credibility for the gag. Which they do often.
  • Love 1

Is consulting a fortune teller really a "thing" in the Chinese community?

For people from my grandparents' generation (born in the 1920s), yeah.  I don't recall my maternal grandmother going to one, but she considered herself a "modern woman" who went to a convent school, dated and went swimming.  I don't know if my paternal grandmother even finished Grade 6 and I think she consults one more often.  Maybe.  Don't know about the grandfathers. Don't think it's a guy thing.  In my family, anyway.

• Love 1

I've only known older Chinese people hiring a fortune teller for huge events, like naming their baby.  While some are superstitious, I've only seen them consulting farmers' almanacs and such, for free.  Definitely not forking over hundreds of dollars every month for mundane advice.

• Love 1

And his whole "it's called eBay"?  No, just no.  eBay's original name wasn't eBay and it was founded in California by a Middle Eastern - American.  I get that this whole thing was supposed to be played for laughs, but in the age of the internet, where facts are easily checked, it just doesn't work.

The "Frenchman" Barry said was the potential investor would be Pierre Omidyar, who founded eBay IRL! French-born Persian. Not sure why Omidyar would have been in New Delhi at the time, but it's so specific my guess is it would check out.

• Love 1

I worked 5 years in Hong Kong (finance) and cam confirm that all the big banks, including Western, do it - yearly fung shui man consultation, plus if change of office, consultation about auspicious date for the move, if building a new office, green light on the blueprints etc. 

Weird but real :-)

• Love 4

The Jessica/Honey fight was too sad. Honey's face when Jessica said they weren't friends anymore was heartbreaking. As was Jessica's face when Honey wouldn't let her pretend that nothing happened. I just love their friendship so much and I'm glad that Jessica realized that she needs to treat Honey like her equal. The scene where the Grandmother admits that she is lonely was also too sad.

I loved it that there has been a couple or more episodes this season that has called Jessica on her BS. I love the character but sometimes she is too much. And I love that she realized Honey is a good friend. 

I'm Asian and I can attest to the seemingly over-the-top dependence on psychics, especially by the elders. I'm actually surprised they didn't have the house get feng shui'ed. 

• Love 1

I don't know much about using psychics in the Chinese community but because of relatives and friends, and my hometown, I certainly know a lot about the dependency on superstition and cultural beliefs.

There is a certain city here in Ontario, Canada where the number 4 has been banned on street addresses since 2013 because of Chinese cultural beliefs, if you can believe it.  As the number 4 pronounced in Cantonese and Mandarin sounds like their word for "death".

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I don't know much about using psychics in the Chinese community but because of relatives and friends, and my hometown, I certainly know a lot about the dependency on superstition and cultural beliefs.

There is a certain city here in Ontario, Canada where the number 4 has been banned on street addresses since 2013 because of Chinese cultural beliefs, if you can believe it. As the number 4 pronounced in Cantonese and Mandarin sounds like their word for "death".

It's not that weird when you consider that some cities skip 13th Street. People get superstitious about all kinds of things!
  • Love 2