Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Internal Affairs

• Start Topic

The team races to prove Deeks' innocence when he is arrested for the murder of his former partner.

I have left the date of this episode blank (for now, due to the "assholes"* who attacked Paris).

I will adjust and edit all the dates once we know what they are.

*John Oliver, HBO; Last Week with John Oliver; November 15, 2015

That was epic. I think it moved into second place in my response to terror all time hit list (and isn't it sad that I have one) behind the Onion's response to 9/11.

What is the John Oliver thing?

The Onion's response to 9/11 is actually the first Onion article I ever read - we spent a class on it in high school English, and I've had a soft spot for that article ever since :)

• Love 2

I hope Hettie wasn't saying what I think she was saying at the end of the episode.

I think she was as well. However, wouldn't that destroy the team? If he and Kensi break up they can't be partners anymore.

Also is she saying that he would have to be single forever he would have no one to tell for ever?

Weird advice...

I can't tell if that was break up advice or tell Kensi so it's not a secret advice.

Anyone think that Mama Deeks is not quite right emotionally? She seems a little too scattered.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 1

Anyone think that Mama Deeks is not quite right emotionally? She seems a little too scattered.

I think we know that tho...? She clearly was abused for so long and then watched her son kill her husband (actually I don't know that she was there when he killed him.)

I admit I wondered the whole ep if Deeks had done it, since in the lead up to it, he never really denied it. He kept talking around it. Then, when he "escaped" and went to the lady lawyer's house, I thought - Oh! It really *was Quinn! Then I ping ponged between Quinn and Tiffany. But what was his relationship with the lady lawyer?

Now as for the ending, it was too cryptic for me. Pls clarify for me? Hetty knew he had killed Boyle. But brought him on at NCIS anyway because it was a justified shoot (in Hetty's eyes - saving TIffany)?And then she told him NOT to tell Kensi? (Which, frankly, and obviously, was both excellent and poor advice. Excellent because Kensi would never forgive him if she knew and poor because you can't build a relationship with such a big secret.) 

So did Tiffany know he killed Boyle? She covered for him? I *do believe that he sends her money to help her out and not keep her quiet, Perhaps I am too naive. 

After Kensi's outburst, how does Granger not demand that they be separated?????????

Best part? "I'm showing my joy on the inside."  (not sure if that was the exact quote because i busted right out laughing.)

ETA: WTF with Callen and Joelle???? Was that the weirdest convo??? Why would he have to sleep on the couch at work? He has his own house! Was that seriously the only discussion we're going to to get on her "cutting her loose"? wha?????? And why was Sam encouraging it? He's the one who fixed them up!!! Was the whole thing a joke?

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 1

Oh, man. On one hand, I thought that was the best episode of the season. It was fairly well written and constructed, and actually more or less made sense, with lots of emotional beats. On the other hand...that last thirty seconds! As a Deeks/Kensi fan, it definitely made me feel very uneasy. And I agree that Hetty's "advice" was weird at best--I couldn't decide if she was telling him his relationship was a bad idea or whether she was just spouting a general statement that it's difficult to keep secrets in a relationship. But the tone felt like the former, and I didn't quite get it. Hetty absolved him enough to basically tell him he didn't have to tell people--but in the next breath told him he couldn't have anyone in his life? Because he once killed a guy under justifiable circumstances? Huh? But I agree that if they broke up, that's pretty much it for her team. I actually don't know how the show would even go there without having to reformat everything, as they clearly couldn't be partners if they broke up.  I feel like that's a big part of why no one administratively has demanded they separate--because the show can't really logistically do that long-term. 

One thing I really liked in this episode was the way the different characters dealt with the investigation. I liked Callen's moment at the beginning of acknowledging that it was likely Deeks was involved, and Hetty and Granger being determined to get him off regardless of what he had done. I also really liked Deeks trying to tell Kensi in the jail that there was something bigger going on, and Kensi flat-out refusing to hear it, instead being hyper-focused on getting him out at all costs. That was a really well done moment, where you can see in retrospect that he was, at least, partially trying to come clean, and she almost made a decision that she didn't want to know. Though all factors considered, I think she could handle the truth. 

I had the same interpretation. She seems loving, but almost childlike in her handling of situations. It makes the dynamic between her and her son more interesting though, because he seems to be more the parent in that relationship in some ways. 

Best part? "I'm showing my joy on the inside."  (not sure if that was the exact quote because i busted right out laughing.)

I totally agree and had the same reaction. Amazing line delivery.

So that's the unceremonious end for Callen and Joelle? I'm guessing the actress is no longer available. Seems like a lot of work to put into last season's storyline to just drop her randomly midway through this season in a two minute exchange.  

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 2

Man, that was some complicated plotting. I'm still not sure at what point Hetty knew Deeks was guilty. I guess she suspected it at least ever since she first vetted him and was obviously willing to look the other way. Once the whole IA investigation started she must have prepared the plan to use Quinn as a smoke-screen. In other words: as usual she was at least one step ahead of everybody else.

(BTW Deeks did not kill his father, he 'just' shot him. Hetty had Nell track him down in the episode where Deeks got shot. He was in prison for a while and later got killed in a car accident IIRC.)

I took Hetty's words as an advice to not tell Kensi and live with the secret - not necessarily break up with her. Before the line about keeping secrets she said. "It's not my story to tell.Then again, I'm not sure that it should be yours either."

That seems to suggest that he should not burden Kensi with the truth. I guess it's sound advice because I don't think the relationship would survive if he were to admit the murder. Obviously keeping secrets is easier when you're single. But Deeks has been doing quite a good job so far. This being a tv show means of course that secrets don't stay secret forever.

I'm really surprised the show went there - I totally expected Deeks to be cleared from all charges by the end of the episode. On the other hand the mother-ship's main character got away with murder too.

ITA about all the Callen and Joelle nonsense. Last time we saw them together he introduced her to his 'family' and now Sam is all for dropping her like a hot potato? Sam was written completely OOC since he has always pushed Callen towards opening up and allowing himself to be in a relationship. And now all of a sudden is he's all 'What did you expect? Women!' Makes no sense. We haven't seen Joelle since the middle of last season IIRC all we got since then was some name dropping and never any indication that the two of them had troubles. And now Callen sleeps on a couch and has to end it and it was all played for the LOLs? Has the actress scored a major part in another show? I had a look at her IMDB page and don't see anything in that vein. Weird.

Edited by MissLucas

She clearly was abused for so long and then watched her son kill her husband (actually I don't know that she was there when he killed him.)

He didn't kill his father, just shot him.  His father (or was it step-father?) went off somewhere.  Hetty told him in a previous season that his father had died a couple of years ago - not as a result of the shooting.

ETA: I see Miss Lucas already told you that while I was slowly typing:)

If Deeks killing Boyle was a justified shoot, why did he cover it up?

It was a pretty good episode though, lots of tension and angst.

I did love the Callen-Sam banter and I don't care if Joelle is gone.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

I think Boyle was a justified shoot but given the coruption involved, Deeks probably thought it wouldn't be fairly investigated and he'd end up in prison. After all, he's seeing this terrible cop being allowed to get away with whatever he wants. No way Deeks would risk that same department being fair to him. And then he was too far in to ever come clean.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 4

Well, not that Hetty's not at the head of the various fields she's expert in, but her longest-running relationship was with some russian spy she had stashed in a nursing home so she could go torture him once a week by talking about his prostate. Even if you could figure out what her advice actually was, I can't think of any reason to take it.

• Love 2

I can't tell if that was break up advice or tell Kensi so it's not a secret advice.

My take on this is that it may be a setup for the future should one of the actors (Ruah or Olsen) decide to actually leave the show.

Great episode!  Deeks being all funny and sarcastic to the lady lawyer was all kinds of delightfulness.  This episode was fast paced, suspenseful and made me all crazy about Kensi/Deeks relationship again.

I don't like what Hetty said to Deeks.  I know she didn't like the fact that Kensi and Deeks are dating but it still felt a little harsh when she told Deeks that keeping secrets are easier if one is alone.  It felt like a foreshadowing of a Deeks and Kensi major break up.  :(

As always I love Callen and Sam's bromance banter that at times, almost verge on flirtatiousness.

Should Deeks come clean to Kensi about what he did to his deceased partner?  Would Kensi forgive him for committing murder, justifiable or not?  Somehow I think she would.  But I don't know if she'll forgive the fact that he was hiding this big secret from her. 

• Love 1

Should Deeks come clean to Kensi about what he did to his deceased partner?  Would Kensi forgive him for committing murder, justifiable or not?  Somehow I think she would.  But I don't know if she'll forgive the fact that he was hiding this big secret from her. 

Obviously not, since we had that out-of-order episode from next spring a couple of weeks back.  Also, they commit "justifiable homicide" almost every episode.

Edited by Notwisconsin
  • Love 1

(BTW Deeks did not kill his father, he 'just' shot him. Hetty had Nell track him down in the episode where Deeks got shot. He was in prison for a while and later got killed in a car accident IIRC.)

Thank you!

I think Boyle was a justified shoot but given the coruption involved, Deeks probably thought it wouldn't be fairly investigated and he'd end up in prison. After all, he's seeing this terrible cop being allowed to get away with whatever he wants. No way Deeks would risk that same department being fair to him. And then he was too far in to ever come clean.

That was my take, too. That Deeks thought that a seventeen year-old prostitute with a record was a life worth saving by killing a cop, but that he didn't feel the department would agree with him--and even in a non-corrupt police department, he might be right. Killing one of your own over someone whom a lot of people would see as someone who didn't matter could easily turn into a murder charge.

My interpretation was that Tiffany knew Deeks had killed Boyle and was protecting him by throwing Quinn under the bus, but I could be wrong. It makes the 400 dollars every month look a bit dirtier, but why would Deeks need to kill Boyle to save Tiffany's life if Tiffany was already gone from the room? 

Also, they commit "justifiable homicide" almost every episode.

Totally agree. Deeks obviously has a lot of issues with what he did, and judges himself, and he might be projecting those things onto Kensi. Because I think she would accept this and move past it--he did it for the right reasons, and he saved a life, and she loves him. I think she would even understand him not telling her up until this point--she got past the prostitute he's been financially assisting that he kept a secret. I can't decide if I think Deeks keeping this from her makes sense for the character or whether it's just contrived drama. I think it could be organic if you squint a bit, but Hetty's last line made it feel more like keeping a secret for the purpose of instilling tension in the power couple, and I think that's part of why it annoyed me. 

Deeks is a lawyer. He may be keeping the secret to prevent Kensi from ending up in a bad place legally. They aren't married. She could be compelled to testify against him. You can't tell what you don't know.

• Love 3

Awesome episode!  As a huge Deeks/Densi fan, this episode had a lot of build-up and expectations, and it did not disappoint.  I, like others here, was pretty shocked by the final takeaway - that Deeks actually did kill his partner.  Also that Hetty apparently knew this all along, and presumably set in motion the whole "Quinn escapes from jail (but not really)" false flag in order to provide the LAPD with a credible alternative theory.

Knowing what we know now about what actually happened, I have to go back a re-watch the episode.  In retrospect, I think ECO played it the entire time like Deeks knew he was guilty, and was just stringing out the inevitable, even though at the time it just seemed like Deeks being his same old smart-ass self.  In particular, at the time I watched it, I was surprised by his final conversation with the IA detective, where he offered to plead guilty to manslaughter.  At that point, it seemed like an uncharacteristic fold, given that he knew his team was on the outside doing everything they could to solve the crime.  In retrospect, it makes perfect sense -- he knew his team was trying to solve the crime and probably would, and would figure out what happened.  So he knew he was on borrowed time.

The episode also leaves some pretty major unresolved problems.  Even though Boyle's corrupt partner is presumably going down for his drugs/guns/cash stash, it seems unlikely that he will cop to murdering his partner-in-crime when he had nothing to do with it.  I guess Hetty hopes that the LAPD will pin the murder on the now-vanished Quinn, but this seems optimistic, to say the least.  So that leaves an unsolved murder, with evidence implicating Deeks, that Deeks actually committed.  Pretty big ongoing problem there.

Then, there's Kensi.  Would Kensi forgive Deeks for killing his corrupt, abusive partner, to stop him from beating a teenage prostitute to death?  Given that Kensi herself spent a year living on the streets as a teenage runaway, I'd say that's a no-brainer.  The difficult question is whether she'll forgive him for not telling her the truth.  I get that between the time he was arrested and the time they were re-united, he had no opportunity to come clean, but he did before and he certainly does now.  Kensi was out there trying to solve the crime that he committed and, if she succeeded, she would find the evidence to put him away.  Can she forgive him for putting her in that position?  That's the real question as I see it.

• Love 2

I don't think murder or manslaughter is something Kensi could just brush away but it really depends on the circumstances. The fact that Deeks was willing to admit to manslaughter tells me that there's little to support self-defense but everything else is still in the open as we haven't been given the details.

Deeks must have known from the moment Hetty told him and Kensi about the investigation what was up. Yet he kept telling Kensi he had no idea - understandable because telling her the truth could have put her in massive troubles and it still can. The murder is still not resolved and until the LAPD managed to pin it on Quinn telling Kensi the truth would be a mistake - both legally and emotionally. She might be able to forgive him but what happens when she gets interrogated when someone reopens the cold case file? Nope, I'm with Hetty on this one.

• Love 1

The thing is, the way it was presented I'm pretty sure Deeks was shooting in defense mode, something we've seen this team do a thousand times. There is no way that the Deeks we know shot the guy in cold blood. I think that he could them them that he did it and while they all will be pissed, it won't be because Boyle is dead. It's that Deeks a) covered it up and b) didn't tell them so they could help him once IA started in on him.

Kensi's fury was a sight to behold. I think it speaks volumes for how much she loves Deeks. She didn't go off on Hetty over herself being shipped to Afghanistan or being put in a position to shoot her former fiance. No, she lost it when Hetty started playing games with Deeks.  And I notice that Callen, Granger and Sam conveniently were not refuting what Kensi was saying either.

The twist that Deeks actually did it was really well done.  Ultimately, I don't think he'll tell Kensi. Not unless Hetty forces his hand. He won't put the burden of that knowledge on her. The flip side is, if she ever finds out, it might just end them. Kensi isn't going to hold the death against him, not if he shot in self-defense/to defend another person. She will be furious about being lied to.

Hetty has quite the piece of blackmail information on Deeks now, doesn't she?

I think I missed something. Did they ever explain what IA had on Deeks? As in, why they reopened the case now? The interrogator says Deeks is trying to figure out what they have on him, but does the audience ever figure it out?

I mean I understand, I think, that Hetty transferred Quinn to force the investigation to come to a head. But there had to be an initial reason IA reopened the case, so...what was it?

Nice episode for the most part.

Did they solve the murder though? I'm not sure they did.  Looks as if Internal Affairs is going to be keeping an eye on Deeks.

I don't think Hetty had been setting up the Quinn angle for some time.  I think she saw that they were going to (correctly) pin the murder on Boyle, she convinced Quinn to help pin corruption charges on Steadman.  But I'm confused; Steadman forced Monica and Deeks to show him where the loot was, but then it would turn up in his own garage? Does anyone know?

Seems to me that Boyle was very similar to Deeks' father and that is why he killed him. 

Not sure that I like Deeks mother.  She seems perfectly nice, but Im just not feeling her.  Also, where was she when he was in the hospital/ had PSTD from when he'd been held and tortured?  I know I know, I'm overthinking it.

Deeks doesn't need to tell Kensi.  He hasn't told her after all this time, and if he did tell her he'd be putting her in a terrible position.  Now if Boyle hadn't been such a bad guy, I think it would be a much much different story.  I think the might be a set-up for relationship troubles down the road, but not now.  I think Hetty gave him some pretty good advice.

Callen and Sam were hilarious.

• Love 1
Did they solve the murder though? I'm not sure they did. Looks as if Internal Affairs is going to be keeping an eye on Deeks.

Not as such, but since they planted the swag at evil partner's apartment, I"m guessing they pin it on him. Although I'm at a bit of a loss how they're going to explaIn evil partner trying to kill dumbass lawyer lady and Deeks to get to the swag if he already secretly had it. Because he thought murdering a federal agent would be a good way to corroborate his story?

• Love 1

Steadman did not already have the swag. Quinn had it, and got out of jail (and relocated under a new name) in exchange for telling Hetty where it was so she could plant it in Steadman's garage. Now Steadman goes to jail for corruption, and everyone thinks that the never-to-be-found-again Quinn committed the murder.

Steadman did not already have the swag. Quinn had it, and got out of jail (and relocated under a new name) in exchange for telling Hetty where it was so she could plant it in Steadman's garage. Now Steadman goes to jail for corruption, and everyone thinks that the never-to-be-found-again Quinn committed the murder.

Well, yes, but while they were framing Steadman, Steadman was kidnapping and attempting to kill two people in order to get them to lead them to the swag he ostensibly already had, which seems like wasted effort...

I figure that Deeks killing Boyle is the reason Hetty recruited him.  Everyone on that team has to be ready to kill someone and justify it later.  They are always going in guns a blasing.  And Kensi is a trained sniper; she is trained to kill someone and not to ask why.  I don't see that it would be the breaking point of their relationship but then again if I were Deeks I would not test it by telling her.

• Love 1

Well, yes, but while they were framing Steadman, Steadman was kidnapping and attempting to kill two people in order to get them to lead them to the swag he ostensibly already had, which seems like wasted effort...

Steadman didn't know that he had the swag. Hetty had it planted in his garage. So he's going to be very surprised when LAPD finds it there.

Steadman didn't know that he had the swag. Hetty had it planted in his garage. So he's going to be very surprised when LAPD finds it there.

He is. I just think IA is too. All he had to do is sit quietly while they railroaded Deaks, since he (as far as they know) already had the stuff.

Some random thoughts:

Gray characters are so much more fascinating than black and white characters.

If I was in Hetty's sphere of influence, I would be terrified of her. She probably has something on all of them, including Granger.  I'm sure her name was Machiavelli in some previous life.

Ben Franklin said: Three may keep a Secret, if two of them are dead.

• Love 3