Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

If memory serves the appliances were all included in the home purchase and added to the mortgage.  

I recall Christine bringing the dated washer and dryer from their previous place and is STILL using them.  This may have been a martyr like ploy on Christine's part to say---look at me Kody, 6 kids and not adding to the financial burden--- and there's Meri, with one child, demanding new front loaders on platforms as well as her wet bar.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

548B5EDD-BDC5-4ABF-95A5-1DE6A90A1CB1.jpeg

JUST BUY A FUCKING LEMON, they're 33 cents each.

Also if she's hot, why is she having problems hydrating?  She should WANT to drink some water.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 13

Oh, shoot, I would use some of that on the short cycle to clean my dishwasher. Any lemon flavor powder mix dissolves scale like a champ (and Kool-Aid is cheap). Gotta find those tricks that help!

• Love 7
On 7/18/2018 at 3:44 PM, Sandy W said:

Not to mention sweet Savanah.  This carpet explains Janelle's feet.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:44 PM, Galloway Cave said:

Huh. I have bought and sold four homes and never moved the refrigerator and only moved the washer/dryer once. New buyers always wanted to buy them with the house and I was happy to buy new ones.

Unless you go no shoes in your home with no pets, carpet is nasty. Many upgrades nowadays are going carpet-free in favor of stone, engineered wood or tile. If you want an area rug, great. 

What sold us on the home we bought was the appliances were included. New, stainless steel and since we live in the boonies, it was ideal.

Anyone notice the moving boxes in the upper left of the dog photo? 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

JUST BUY A FUCKING LEMON, they're 33 cents each.

Also if she's hot, why is she having problems hydrating?  She should WANT to drink some water.

RIGHT???!!!!  Jesus Janelle.  Water.  Try it.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Unless you go no shoes in your home with no pets, carpet is nasty

Not necessarily, but it needs a daily vacuuming.  And not wearing outside shoes.  My carpet is white and 3 years old.  Still white. 

When you live in a cold climate, cold floors are not welcome.  No tile, no stone, no echoing noise.

• Love 3

Every time I see a home with concrete or tile floors my knees, back and planter fascia start to ache.  I need soft floors.  And throw rugs are a trip hazard.  (I can, and have, tripped over dust bunnies.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

Every time I see a home with concrete or tile floors my knees, back and planter fascia start to ache.  I need soft floors.  And throw rugs are a trip hazard.  (I can, and have, tripped over dust bunnies.)

True.  Give me wall to wall carpet except the bathroom and kitchen.  That being said you have to have no food or drink anywhere except the kitchen.  And no pets.  Oh and no shoes in the house.

3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

RIGHT???!!!!  Jesus Janelle.  Water.  Try it.

Some people just cant stand plain water.  I drink it more when its hot.  like we have had over 100 for about 10 days.  I drink at least a gallon every day.  Those True Lemon are good.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

That's fine but at that price point for that location I would expect a viable floor surface (hardwood/tile/even laminate) under the carpeting instead of what I suspect is just plywood or whatever, so the owner has the option of no carpet if that's what they want.  

• Love 2

I don't know about LV but in Hawaii the prices are absolutely outrageous for what would be considered shoddy construction anywhere else.  Lower than builder grade cabinets, carpet over plywood, cheap fixtures in houses starting at a million.  Coming from the Midwest it was quite a shock for me (not that I was living there, just living in a rental whilst doing humpback whale research).  Makes me appreciate what a million can buy at home!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Not necessarily, but it needs a daily vacuuming.  And not wearing outside shoes.  My carpet is white and 3 years old.  Still white. 

When you live in a cold climate, cold floors are not welcome.  No tile, no stone, no echoing noise.

Sorry, meant to imply super clean folks' carpets would likely be okay. We lived in a rental with off-white carpet and it was quite difficult to keep bright, even with constant maintenance. Kudos! 

On 7/18/2018 at 11:17 PM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Both of these are items that are never part of the house sale or rental.  Unless it is a high end or luxury home.

In New England it's expected that the appliances stay with the home. Very rare to buy a house with no appliances. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Nuts are not good for people who are trying to lose weight.  Plus if your cholesterol is bad you don't need to eat them.

According to Mayoclinic.com and other sites, nuts are healthy and good for cholesteral. Of course, moderation is key.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

According to Mayoclinic.com and other sites, nuts are healthy and good for cholesteral. Of course, moderation is key.

Soy sauce, maple syrup and sea salt, on the other hand . . . add a LOT of calories and sodium to what should be a healthy snack choice.  We buy dry-roasted peanuts and mixed nuts at Costco and pour some into a baggie for going to the movies.  No soy, definitely no salt added.  And no need to bake them in an oven.

Janelle just seems to over-complicate everything.

• Love 12
56 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Soy sauce, maple syrup and sea salt, on the other hand . . . add a LOT of calories and sodium to what should be a healthy snack choice.  We buy dry-roasted peanuts and mixed nuts at Costco and pour some into a baggie for going to the movies.  No soy, definitely no salt added.  And no need to bake them in an oven.

Does she ever. Her travel cooler of oddities still sticks in my mind (green smoothie, cold soup, whole avocado).  I get wanting to experiment with homemade stuff, however, it does taste better than food-factory processed. One tsp of soy isn't terrible, there's not enough to coat the nuts to make it awful. 

One thing Janelle needs work on--presentation. If you're going to showcase your homemade foods, make them look appealing somehow. Chucking bags of nuts into the gas stovetop and the nuts till on the roasting pan? Not. Appealing. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, TurtlePower said:

Does she ever. Her travel cooler of oddities still sticks in my mind (green smoothie, cold soup, whole avocado).  I get wanting to experiment with homemade stuff, however, it does taste better than food-factory processed. One tsp of soy isn't terrible, there's not enough to coat the nuts to make it awful. 

One thing Janelle needs work on--presentation. If you're going to showcase your homemade foods, make them look appealing somehow. Chucking bags of nuts into the gas stovetop and the nuts till on the roasting pan? Not. Appealing. 

Her post says it was a tablespoon of soy.  Only 9 calories, but  879 mg of sodium (1/3 of the day's RDA).  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Chucking bags of nuts into the gas stovetop and the nuts till on the roasting pan?

Especially since the roasting pan looks like the oil pan from a 57 Chevy.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Especially since the roasting pan looks like the oil pan from a 57 Chevy.

Lol, you have a way of describing things that paints such a clear (and hilarious) picture!

4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Good point about the add-ons, didnt even think of that! 

I'll give her that adding one's own seasoning can be less fat, salt, and calories than buying commercially-seasoned, but you do have to be careful.

And I know it's been said before, but why is EVERY post about how she's struggling and getting derailed and off track and how she needs to get back in the groove? Is she ever ON track or IN the groove, or not struggling or trying to get back to her routine?

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 12
On 7/21/2018 at 10:08 PM, Gothish520 said:

While true.  They are not a good snack, if you are trying to lose weight.  23 almonds wont keep you full for long.  Where as a salad with 1 cup lettuce, 1 roma tomato,  1 cup broccoli, 2/3 cup of green beans and 2 tablespoons of salsa will fill you up for much longer.  I thought they were healthy too.  My cholesterol didn't go down until I cut out the nuts. 

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, ginger90 said:

A9B98C5A-239B-4425-A844-FAD3070D510E.jpeg

6A0D1B5E-AB61-4A22-8E65-E3C454A91EFE.jpeg

If Janelle is really eating and drinking all of these concoctions, even if she is eating other crap as well, at least she is getting the benefits of all those fruits and vegetables, even if she's not losing weight. My sister is similar in that she will eat all kinds of veggies and fresh fruits, but then have two donuts or muffins or ice cream bars. She may not be losing weight (she only wants/needs to lose about 10 pounds, anyway), but at least her body is getting the fiber and nutrition from the healthy food she does eat. I have a tendency to just eat the junk and forgo the good stuff, because I'm always going to "be good" starting tomorrow. :P It's a terrible mindset because of course it's never "tomorrow". I honestly have to force/remind myself to eat fruit and vegetables.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 4

I think I've said this before, but the problem with smoothies is that there isn't much satisfaction in them since there's no chewing involved and everything is already broken down so it runs through your system faster, resulting in a higher caloric intake.

Janelle would be better off retraining her taste buds (as i, a reformed vegetable hater, did) and eating those veggies and fruits in their whole form, but she'd rather listen to the green smoothie sales pitch and suck down mega calories of liquified fruit while convincing herself that she's not eating processed food. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

I think I've said this before, but the problem with smoothies is that there isn't much satisfaction in them since there's no chewing involved and everything is already broken down so it runs through your system faster, resulting in a higher caloric intake.

Janelle would be better off retraining her taste buds (as i, a reformed vegetable hater, did) and eating those veggies and fruits in their whole form, but she'd rather listen to the green smoothie sales pitch and suck down mega calories of liquified fruit while convincing herself that she's not eating processed food. 

I've said much the same thing.  I like to chew.  I don't want to waste calories on smoothies; I eat the whole fruit and/or veggie.

• Love 9

Chiming in that I have twice done a diet that leaned heavily on green smoothies (at least one a day for breakfast and often one for lunch) and they used whole fruits and veg, not just greens, and they were VERY filling. One thing that people often do is not make the smoothies large enough. The recipes I used didn't skimp on ingredients, had a good balance of fruit/veg/protein and they were large. They were between 400-600 cals, with a total days calories ending up around 1400.  While it did lack the chew factor, they held me well till lunch, no problem. The issue is really with juice that removes all the fiber or smoothies that just use fruit.  If I have a 100% fruit smoothie I feel icky and hungry within an hour. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

My cholesterol didn't go down until I cut out the nuts. 

I don't understand this; only animal products have cholesterol, so nuts should not negatively affect one's levels. In fact, they're often recommended as a part of a diet aimed at lowering cholesterol. Did your doctor have any theories? 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, aulait said:

Chiming in that I have twice done a diet that leaned heavily on green smoothies (at least one a day for breakfast and often one for lunch) and they used whole fruits and veg, not just greens, and they were VERY filling. One thing that people often do is not make the smoothies large enough. The recipes I used didn't skimp on ingredients, had a good balance of fruit/veg/protein and they were large. They were between 400-600 cals, with a total days calories ending up around 1400.  While it did lack the chew factor, they held me well till lunch, no problem. The issue is really with juice that removes all the fiber or smoothies that just use fruit.  If I have a 100% fruit smoothie I feel icky and hungry within an hour. 

1400 calories a day is my average and for me that's a huge amount of food. I start most morning with a scramble consisting of 2 slices of thick cut bacon, sliced mushrooms, 3/4 cup Egg Beaters, and a little grated cheese and pico de Gallo for flavor.  Snacks are strawberries and Lite & Fit Yogurt. Lunch is a kale salad with 4-6 ounces diced chicken breast. Dinner which I'm making right now is taco seasoned ground turkey sauteed with sliced mushrooms, broccoli slaw, egg beaters and 1/2 cup of rice with some salsa Verde. I track everything in my fitness pal and right now I'm at 1375 calories for the day. I'm a volume eater so smoothies don't do it for me.

• Love 4

@DakotaJustice, have you ever put some of that taco ground turkey on a baked sweet potato with some chopped romaine?  I was skeptical, but it's delish and very filling.

If Janelle were actually a real-life health coach and not some Z-list celeb pretending to know what she's talking about, she would have zero followers.  The biggest issue is that she spends most of her posts whining about how tired she is, how busy, stressed, and oh-so-challenged in ways that we just wouldn't understand.  And then she plugs the latest diet fad that she either read on Pinterest or is getting paid to advertise.  There is absolutely no consistency to the things she says except that she feels like crap most of the time.  How is this motivational in any way?  I am waiting for Strive to pull the plug on Janelle.  She can't possibly have that many sycophants, can she?  Strive with Janelle is a joke.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

@DakotaJustice, have you ever put some of that taco ground turkey on a baked sweet potato with some chopped romaine?  I was skeptical, but it's delish and very filling.

I make what's kind of a Joe's Special. 

Yams I like to mash, sometimes with some cottage cheese for a bit of added protein, but sometimes I just eat them plain, skin and all. 

• Love 2
On 7/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

True.  Give me wall to wall carpet except the bathroom and kitchen.  That being said you have to have no food or drink anywhere except the kitchen.  And no pets.  Oh and no shoes in the house.

Some people just cant stand plain water.  I drink it more when its hot.  like we have had over 100 for about 10 days.  I drink at least a gallon every day.  Those True Lemon are good.

I was meaning to ask.  This is so you can have lemon in water when away from home?  

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Pachengala said:

I don't understand this; only animal products have cholesterol, so nuts should not negatively affect one's levels. In fact, they're often recommended as a part of a diet aimed at lowering cholesterol. Did your doctor have any theories? 

Yes, some people it is genetic, everyone in my immediate family has high cholesterol.  Reducing any fats helps it to go down.  Even avocados, which I love dearly.  I have another friend who has been vegan for over 25 years.  About 10 years ago he stopped eating processed foods and was eating natural whole foods.  He went to get all his numbers checked and his was high.  Once he removed nuts, oils and avocados, they all feel into the normal range.  My doctor said it is still okay to have them, just not often.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Yes, some people it is genetic, everyone in my immediate family has high cholesterol.  Reducing any fats helps it to go down.  Even avocados, which I love dearly.  I have another friend who has been vegan for over 25 years.  About 10 years ago he stopped eating processed foods and was eating natural whole foods.  He went to get all his numbers checked and his was high.  Once he removed nuts, oils and avocados, they all feel into the normal range.  My doctor said it is still okay to have them, just not often.

This is so interesting, thank you. My husband has high cholesterol and I’ve been pushing my mostly-veg lifestyle on him. He eats A TON of nuts, and I’m willing to try anything. Welp, more unwelcome changes coming to your diet, beloved husbo.

• Love 2
On 7/23/2018 at 6:03 PM, xwordfanatik said:

I've said much the same thing.  I like to chew.  I don't want to waste calories on smoothies; I eat the whole fruit and/or veggie.

Not sure how Janelle's doing hers, but they don't need to be heavy on calories done right and can be satisfying--especially kale/spinach based ones. I love the flavor of spinach but hate the texture, so a juice or smoothie made from greens is beneficial for me. I also have difficulty digesting apples (and hate chewing them), so if I throw one of those in, it stays low calorie (around 150).   Everyone's different in what works for them; personally I prefer liquid-y foods (vegetable-based soups, broths, oatmeal, bean mash, cauliflower mash). I even need to blend lentil soups--the texture of whole lentils is bothersome. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

After I thought she couldn't seem any more clueless and inept, Janelle has just discovered dehydration after 8 years living in the desert. 

Doesn't every health coach copy and paste stuff from Google?

• Love 7
(edited)
6 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

After I thought she couldn't seem any more clueless and inept, Janelle has just discovered dehydration after 8 years living in the desert. 

And googled and copied one of the seven million articles on drinking water.  Such wisdom.

Hee - great minds DakotaJustice, great minds....

Edited by Kohola3
Posting same comments at the same time!
  • Love 6