Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

Long commutes suck and combine that with a long day, I don't think anyone wants to cook every day

I'm fortunate because my wife is a housewife. So, she's always got dinner done right when I walk in the door (or shortly after). She is what makes my life possible and I tell her so as often as I can, including thanking her for such wonderful dinners every day.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Hand washing with all those meal preps......priority!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleBrown117/status/845086341448658944?p=v

Yeah. Sounds like possible norovirus to me, too. I tend to wash my hands three times a day at work, even if that's the only reason I'm heading to the men's room. And again once I get home from work before eating dinner.

Just now, ginger90 said:

Is this what you would eat while having a stomach virus? Not me....

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleBrown117/status/845445152478937088/photo/1

That is such poorly done stir-fry. Wow. It looks like something a 6 year old would make and call "dinner".

My critique:  too much rice, too much soy sauce, not well stirred, not enough vegetables, and could use some pop of color like carrots, and that's considering I toss some simple stir fries together as I did last night and I put more effort into it than Janelle.  I'm currently dieting so no rice in mine at all.  I had 1/4 of a large onion, four cloves of garlic, 2/3 head of broccoli, and one thin sliced chicken breast.  I barely splashed any soy sauce in it to keep the sodium down but used red pepper flakes and a little sesame oil to coat the pan and for flavor. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

My critique:  too much rice, too much soy sauce, not well stirred, not enough vegetables, and could use some pop of color like carrots, and that's considering I toss some simple stir fries together as I did last night and I put more effort into it than Janelle.  I'm currently dieting so no rice in mine at all.  I had 1/4 of a large onion, four cloves of garlic, 2/3 head of broccoli, and one thin sliced chicken breast.  I barely splashed any soy sauce in it to keep the sodium down but used red pepper flakes and a little sesame oil to coat the pan and for flavor. 

Skip the rice altogether and use green giant's cauliflower crumbles fried rice blend. 

I hate cauliflower normally but I'm hooked on this stuff!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

Skip the rice altogether and use green giant's cauliflower crumbles fried rice blend. 

I hate cauliflower normally but I'm hooked on this stuff!

Or for variety and a boost of protein, Quinoa.

• Love 3

Guys, it's just cooking at home.

Yeah, and you're pretty terrible at it, Janelle. That's why people are making suggestions about how to improve your meals. Plus, the meals you're posting pictures of aren't really doing much for your goal of losing weight. A meal heavy in white rice is not a dieter's friend. White rice is almost all carbs, will spike your blood sugar, and the insulin response will make you feel hungry again a short time later. Vegetables are basically free foods since your body consumes almost as many calories digesting them as it gets from digesting them. Bonus: Vegetables make you feel full for longer. Protein also makes you feel full for longer. And if you don't want to include any of the usual proteins, like chicken, beef, or pork, put some tofu in your meals instead. Of course, if you use tofu, then you're going to have to be smart about seasoning since tofu takes on the flavors of whatever it's cooked with.

Side note: I keep trying to get my wife to make things with tofu, but so far no dice. If anyone has a recipe they like, please either post it here or PM it to me. Thanks!

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

White rice is almost all carbs

White rice is a major carb (8% protein) and zero nutrition and a terrible choice, in general.   I only eat it with Thai food, you have to! 

My husband was a vegetarian so I have cooked with tofu a lot.  I have nothing in my repertoire worthy of praise other than one thing, I will PM you.   

On 3/23/2017 at 3:03 PM, ginger90 said:

Is this a thinly-veiled oh-snap to his mother's unappetizing food photos?  I don't really think Logan is that way, but I find it funny that while Janelle tosses together a piece of fried chicken with a dousing of jarred spaghetti sauce and posts it for all to see, Logan and Michelle are whipping up courses that look like something out of a foodie magazine, and I seriously want to be invited to their house for dinner.

On 3/26/2017 at 7:58 AM, ginger90 said:

Such haters. If she felt the need to say something, she could have said thanks for the suggestions. These people should just save their data, or cancel their internet. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleBrown117/status/845778101476900864?p=v

Defensive Janelle is being defensive!  Perhaps if she took the approach of admitting that she's a newbie to cooking, she wouldn't need to be all "whatev, haterz."  But she seems to think that because she is suddenly cooking food at home several nights a week, she has stumbled onto some kind of brilliant revelation and everyone should be amazed and want to be just like her.  It's kind of like someone creating a very specific line of expensive jool'ry and then being stunned that the world wide web didn't crash under the weight of all those orders.  Or like selling hideously patterned leggings and telling all those hungry buyers to be patient because the seller is buried with thousands of requests but can only handle so many at a time!

Delusional, all of them.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Is this a thinly-veiled oh-snap to his mother's unappetizing food photos?  I don't really think Logan is that way, but I find it funny that while Janelle tosses together a piece of fried chicken with a dousing of jarred spaghetti sauce and posts it for all to see, Logan and Michelle are whipping up courses that look like something out of a foodie magazine, and I seriously want to be invited to their house for dinner.

Defensive Janelle is being defensive!  Perhaps if she took the approach of admitting that she's a newbie to cooking, she wouldn't need to be all "whatev, haterz."  But she seems to think that because she is suddenly cooking food at home several nights a week, she has stumbled onto some kind of brilliant revelation and everyone should be amazed and want to be just like her.  It's kind of like someone creating a very specific line of expensive jool'ry and then being stunned that the world wide web didn't crash under the weight of all those orders.  Or like selling hideously patterned leggings and telling all those hungry buyers to be patient because the seller is buried with thousands of requests but can only handle so many at a time!

Delusional, all of them.

Hear, hear!  I love your post.  This "fambly" thinks the public should hang on their every word, and buy into all their bullshit!  So laughable.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Delusional, all of them.

I'm still kinda shocked that Janelle has just "discovered" homemade meals. Growing up I had friends whose moms did not embrace cooking, but they still did, even if the meals were boring. "Oh, look, another casserole with potato chips on top!" 

I want to be happy for Janelle but geez, how often were they eating take away or eating out that home cooking is such a big deal? How does she not know the basics? I will admit it does take a while to become proficient--I actually learned quite a bit from watching years of "Kitchen Nightmares". Of course watching Gordon Ramsay yell at people was part of the fun (It's fucking RAW you idiot!).

• Love 4

I think I'm in the minority here and may come off as a Janelle apologist but I give her credit for the way she's managing a healthy lifestyle. I don't think she did much cooking when Christine was in charge of the kids while Janelle worked.  It does seem like they ate out a lot and Janelle had other wives' support with meals. I don't think Janelle is a novice cooker but she's been pretty open on her blog about extreme dieting  and wanting to find more balance, which I think many people can identify with.  This is a recent realization for her, so I don't expect her to go from zero to sixty in terms of healthy eating overnight. 

Having more meals at home than taken out is a good, heathy step.

This is reminds me of Meri with LuLaRue. I have to give her credit for working even if I wouldn't do it the way she is. 

Edited by mamey2422
  • Love 6

Well, I think I would give her a little more credit if she: 1. wasn't shilling a business built on healthy eating/lifestyle, and 2. acting like she has created something new with this way of eating. When she posts this stuff, she could be a little humble about it -"Hey, it may not be the lowest-calorie dinner in the books, but at least it's homemade and not drive-thru!" or "Here's tonight's dinner. The game is make it even more low-cal. GO!" Hell, even a recipe-share on her site would be a great start. I applaud her for eating better and eating in. I'm just not so sure she's doing it for herself and not the business....

• Love 10

@mamey2422 I would agree with you, except for the points made by @Galloway Cave. I'm in complete agreement with @Galloway Cave when it comes to Janelle's sudden interest in home cooking. If she were less arrogant about it and less obviously shilling something, then I'd be more on her side. Given her hubris and the obvious business tie-in, I expect more effort, thought, and care to be put into the meals and I expect the meals to be much closer to fine dining than to "fast casual" (a la Chipotle, Qdoba, and other restaurants).

• Love 2

Yikes! I take wraps for lunch every day and quite enjoy them. However, these wraps look terrible! https://t.co/5tAlRP98j0 Where are the vegetables? Where's the sauce/dressing? (I tend to use a small amount of olive oil mayo and some sweet onion mustard, unless it's Mexican-inspired in which case it's home-made chipotle sauce.) Those wraps look like they'd put me in a sleep coma come 1:00pm.

And the posts by Amy Hobbs .... she is definitely not a maestro in the kitchen, either. And Marianne, tea is not a meal ( https://t.co/n27SvlQN2M ). On the other hand, Karen Mercer ( https://t.co/M9K3nAADPj ), I would like to know when I can come for dinner! That looks delicious!

Going back to Janelle's fried rice and chicken meal ( https://t.co/r1yX31gTQU ) for a minute, I'd missed her description the first time: "heavy on veggies and chicken". If that's heavy on the vegetables, what's light vegetables look like?

Edited to add: And this ( https://t.co/2s0vAlRAsM ) does not qualify as cooking. She rolled up three slices of ham and threw it on the plate with some raw vegetables. Someone else put up a picture of just raspberries. Another one put up a picture of just a banana and some almonds. All of that is not "cooking". There's no skill in the preparation for any of it. If that's cooking, then I'm a gourmet chef!

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 1

I'm going to take a picture of the wraps I have for lunch today and post it up here. Comparison is important. I'll try to edit this post to include the picture, if I can.

Edited to add: OK. Here we go! The shell of these wraps is a basic fiber shell that doesn't really have any flavor. I prefer that because it makes getting the flavor profiles of everything inside easier. Plus, who can't use more fiber? Everything inside is wrapped in a Romaine lettuce leaf. We've got sweet peppers (red, and possibly yellow), red onions, and shrimp for the main ingredients. The yellow sauce is a home-made chipotle sauce (made from a real chipotle pepper).

I've also had pork, marinated in this fantastic taco-seasoning-based marinade that my wife made, with more vegetables than we've got here and with the chipotle sauce and those are also fantastic. Last week I had flank steak wraps with sweet onion mustard, light amount of olive oil mayo, red onions, yellow and red sweet peppers, diced potatoes, and carrot spears (and the ever-present Romaine lettuce).

The Romaine lettuce leaf helps keep the moisture seeping into the wrap to a minimum (and I just like the taste). So, all my wraps have that.

20170328_113026.jpg

20170328_113041.jpg

20170328_113707.jpg

Edited by MrSmith
Pix!
  • Love 3

I was going to edit the previous post again, but decided to just post a separate time. The sweet onion mustard comes from Wal-Mart and is the Sam's Club/Wal-Mart brand. It's very good and doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it. They also have a good, generic brand "Southwest Spicy" mustard, which has chipotle in it. It's slightly sweet with a nice spicy kick to it. It also does not have high fructose corn syrup.

I'm a nut for mustard and have to try all kinds when I find them. I'm working on sourcing some more exotic mustards right now. I think I have to drive up to the Hy-Vee that's an hour north to really get some variety. Wal-Mart doesn't have much variety and I've tried all the kinds they have. Though I do stay away from all mustard that has high fructose corn syrup in it.

Why do I hate high fructose corn syrup so much? First, it adds a bitter taste to food and leaves a bitter after-taste. For people who grew up after 1985, they won't remember a time when foods were made with real sugar instead of HFCS. But I remember and for those of you who have the possibility of remembering, the best/fastest/easiest way to be reminded is to go to the store and buy a Coca-Cola made with real sugar (get some made with HFCS, too, if you don't already have any). Refrigerate both. Once they're suitably cold, taste each. If you drank cold Cokes before 1985, then you'll remember the taste of the Coke with real sugar. And once you start avoiding foods with HFCS in them, then you'll be able to taste HFCS in things when it's present. It's a horrible taste.

Second, HFCS interferes with your body's ability to determine when you've eaten enough. It leads to eating more food than you should and more than you need because your body's "I'm full. STOP!" response is delayed.

Third, HFCS spikes your blood sugar and generates a significant insulin response. And that makes you hungry again sooner than you would have been. Of course, that leads to eating more ... again.

Foods with HFCS in them was one of the first things we dropped when I started hitting the gym back in 2007/8 and the differences were stark. When you start looking, it's amazing how many foods have HFCS in them - and that includes mustards. Also, be careful! Some companies have started labeling HFCS as simply "fructose" because they realize that consumers have gotten wise to being poisoned with HFCS. So, in an effort to trick you into thinking you're okay, they changed the label. But it's either regular HFCS-45 that we've all come to know and hate as "high fructose corn syrup" or it's the more insidious HFCS-90.

Here are some links:
http://foodidentitytheft.com/corn-refiners-admit-hfcs-with-90-percent-fructose-used-for-decades/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup#Food
http://www.naturalnews.com/048938_high_fructose_corn_syrup_labeling.html

And for those of you who remember the debacle that was New Coke, here's an interesting little factoid: New Coke sold in the supermarkets was made with HFCS. It was the first time soda/pop/soda-pop manufacturers had used HFCS to sweeten their beverages. And they started using it because of the taxes imposed on imported sugar by the US govt. I remember when New Coke flopped and the company went back to the "original" formula and I remember complaining about how it was still different than it was before, as well as hearing many other people make the same statement. Well, of course Coke had been made with real sugar before 1985, and after New Coke came out it was all made with HFCS. And I'm 99% positive that New Coke was taste tested with a formulation that used real sugar, and then the company switched to HFCS for its production runs, and I'm positive that that is what caused the failure of New Coke. I can't imagine that all their taste testers' palates were so different from everyone else's that the taste testers would have liked something that tasted so horrible as New Coke. It had to be the switch to HFCS.

Pepsico has also started making Pepsi, Mtn Dew, and Cherry Pepsi with real sugar. Originally, Pepsi and Mtn Dew with real sugar were going to be limited runs. But the response to those drinks was so positive that Pepsico decided to keep Pepsi and Mtn Dew made with real sugar and add Cherry Pepsi to that line-up! Sometimes you can even find Dr Pepper made with real sugar, but that's a lot harder to find than even Cherry Pepsi made with real sugar.

Also, Hy-Vee and Sam's Club carry Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange, and one other flavor in varieties that are made with real sugar. At Hy-Vee, they're typically in the "Mexican" food section because they're imported from Mexico. At Sam's Club, it's a case of 24 bottles of Mexican-bottled soda; it's a variety pack that comes with Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and one other flavor. I can't remember the other flavor, but it's the same at both places.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I was going to edit the previous post again, but decided to just post a separate time. The sweet onion mustard comes from Wal-Mart and is the Sam's Club/Wal-Mart brand. It's very good and doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it. They also have a good, generic brand "Southwest Spicy" mustard, which has chipotle in it. It's slightly sweet with a nice spicy kick to it. It also does not have high fructose corn syrup.

I'm a nut for mustard and have to try all kinds when I find them. I'm working on sourcing some more exotic mustards right now. I think I have to drive up to the Hy-Vee that's an hour north to really get some variety. Wal-Mart doesn't have much variety and I've tried all the kinds they have. Though I do stay away from all mustard that has high fructose corn syrup in it.

Why do I hate high fructose corn syrup so much? First, it adds a bitter taste to food and leaves a bitter after-taste. For people who grew up after 1985, they won't remember a time when foods were made with real sugar instead of HFCS. But I remember and for those of you who have the possibility of remembering, the best/fastest/easiest way to be reminded is to go to the store and buy a Coca-Cola made with real sugar (get some made with HFCS, too, if you don't already have any). Refrigerate both. Once they're suitably cold, taste each. If you drank cold Cokes before 1985, then you'll remember the taste of the Coke with real sugar. And once you start avoiding foods with HFCS in them, then you'll be able to taste HFCS in things when it's present. It's a horrible taste.

Second, HFCS interferes with your body's ability to determine when you've eaten enough. It leads to eating more food than you should and more than you need because your body's "I'm full. STOP!" response is delayed.

Third, HFCS spikes your blood sugar and generates a significant insulin response. And that makes you hungry again sooner than you would have been. Of course, that leads to eating more ... again.

Foods with HFCS in them was one of the first things we dropped when I started hitting the gym back in 2007/8 and the differences were stark. When you start looking, it's amazing how many foods have HFCS in them - and that includes mustards. Also, be careful! Some companies have started labeling HFCS as simply "fructose" because they realize that consumers have gotten wise to being poisoned with HFCS. So, in an effort to trick you into thinking you're okay, they changed the label. But it's either regular HFCS-45 that we've all come to know and hate as "high fructose corn syrup" or it's the more insidious HFCS-90.

Here are some links:
http://foodidentitytheft.com/corn-refiners-admit-hfcs-with-90-percent-fructose-used-for-decades/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup#Food
http://www.naturalnews.com/048938_high_fructose_corn_syrup_labeling.html

And for those of you who remember the debacle that was New Coke, here's an interesting little factoid: New Coke sold in the supermarkets was made with HFCS. It was the first time soda/pop/soda-pop manufacturers had used HFCS to sweeten their beverages. And they started using it because of the taxes imposed on imported sugar by the US govt. I remember when New Coke flopped and the company went back to the "original" formula and I remember complaining about how it was still different than it was before, as well as hearing many other people make the same statement. Well, of course Coke had been made with real sugar before 1985, and after New Coke came out it was all made with HFCS. And I'm 99% positive that New Coke was taste tested with a formulation that used real sugar, and then the company switched to HFCS for its production runs, and I'm positive that that is what caused the failure of New Coke. I can't imagine that all their taste testers' palates were so different from everyone else's that the taste testers would have liked something that tasted so horrible as New Coke. It had to be the switch to HFCS.

Pepsico has also started making Pepsi, Mtn Dew, and Cherry Pepsi with real sugar. Originally, Pepsi and Mtn Dew with real sugar were going to be limited runs. But the response to those drinks was so positive that Pepsico decided to keep Pepsi and Mtn Dew made with real sugar and add Cherry Pepsi to that line-up! Sometimes you can even find Dr Pepper made with real sugar, but that's a lot harder to find than even Cherry Pepsi made with real sugar.

Also, Hy-Vee and Sam's Club carry Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange, and one other flavor in varieties that are made with real sugar. At Hy-Vee, they're typically in the "Mexican" food section because they're imported from Mexico. At Sam's Club, it's a case of 24 bottles of Mexican-bottled soda; it's a variety pack that comes with Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and one other flavor. I can't remember the other flavor, but it's the same at both places.

Those wraps look really good! I use giant swiss rainbow chard leaves for mine--I grow it for that purpose (and sautéeing when I get too many leaves).

I also hate HFCS! I refuse to purchase anything made with that shit. I mostly drink sparkling water and rarely drink soda, but sometimes I treat myself to a coke--I'll get a small glass bottle of Coca Cola from Mexico and place it on ice for a while.  The don't use that HFCS garbage and it just tastes so much better (I also like the little glass bottle--I don't like anything from cans or plastic for some reason).

2 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

Those wraps look really good! I use giant swiss rainbow chard leaves for mine--I grow it for that purpose (and sautéeing when I get too many leaves).

I also hate HFCS! I refuse to purchase anything made with that shit. I mostly drink sparkling water and rarely drink soda, but sometimes I treat myself to a coke--I'll get a small glass bottle of Coca Cola from Mexico and place it on ice for a while.  The don't use that HFCS garbage and it just tastes so much better (I also like the little glass bottle--I don't like anything from cans or plastic for some reason).

Aluminum can actually alter the taste just a bit. I notice it most when drinking Mtn Dew from a can. There's a slight metallic, flat taste to it. I definitely prefer Coke in a bottle, but that's mostly because it reminds me of hot summer days running around Cadott WI with my cousins when we'd stop at the 50's era Coke machine outside the bar and buy some.

• Love 3
On 3/26/2017 at 6:47 AM, wings707 said:

White rice is a major carb (8% protein) and zero nutrition and a terrible choice, in general.   I only eat it with Thai food, you have to! 

My husband was a vegetarian so I have cooked with tofu a lot.  I have nothing in my repertoire worthy of praise other than one thing, I will PM you.   

I cook a lot and I like tofu but I have never made it.  I used to buy a grilled tofu at a market in my town (they had a teriyaki that was too die for) but I can't seem to make it (not sure why, it intimidates me).  Can you swing over to the small talk area and give some pointers?  

I get that Janelle doesn't want pointers YET she is talking about cooking 10 meals in 10 days.  At least fake it like you do your relationship!  Put up some funky meal and people are going to comment.  Isn't she STRIVING to be the best?  Is white rice the best you can do Janelle?  You are advertising yourself as a coach and I don't think you are intending to coach people to get to your figure.  She is kinda half assing it if I do say so myself.  I don't always have a great meal full of all the healthful things one needs but I am not coaching anyone on being the best they can be.

49 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Aluminum can actually alter the taste just a bit. I notice it most when drinking Mtn Dew from a can. There's a slight metallic, flat taste to it. I definitely prefer Coke in a bottle, but that's mostly because it reminds me of hot summer days running around Cadott WI with my cousins when we'd stop at the 50's era Coke machine outside the bar and buy some.

My people!  I really prefer coke in a bottle for the same reason you do.

• Love 3

From an article posted somewhere here, but I have too many tabs open to remember and am guessing it was this thread:

STRIVE (Strength, Tenacity, Resilience, Integrity, Vision, Endurance) with Janelle was officially launched in September but has grown to more than 3,600 active subscribers since then. http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/tv/sister-wives-star-and-las-vegas-local-launches-online-fitness-program

Bull...chit. That subscription cost $9.99 a month, nothing has been shown that isn't revealed for free already online, and she doesn't have that many fans willing to pay to watch her failures in weight loss. She has shown them on the show already, with her showing her exercise regimen, exclaiming she lost clothings sizes while admitting she she hadn't lost many pounds (because she didn't change her eating habits), and I just don't see 3600 people subscribing to watch her; some of those are entirely made up, a free month promotion, or purchased "subscribers" which is really common when it comes to reality television personalities. 

Also, that link has an annoying autoplay video, which usually results in an automatic block for me, but I opened it in Google Chrome and apparently don't have that configured for that browser like I do for Firefox. By the time the video started playing, I was halfway down the page so I just finished reading. Then, I scrolled up to turn it off, only to see a dog behind what I now know is the trainer, and not moving while she was trying to perform the yoga moves, and giving her dirty looks on top of it. The dog stole the show in that video, and I want to give it a steak.

• Love 2

@Christina Regarding auto-playing video, when there's a video playing or an ad making noise in a tab, there'll be a little speaker in the tab. If you click that, it will mute that tab. This works in FF and Chrome. Probably also in Safari (for those who use Macs or just like Safari), but I don't use Safari and can't say for sure.

I really enjoyed this quote from that article:

While Brown was fortunate enough to have access to multiple personal trainers and nutrition experts that helped her acheive the fitness goals she set for herself

LMAO. Really? She's achieved the fitness goals she set for herself? She must have set that bar exceedingly low, such that she could just step over it without exerting herself. Ohhhh, this quote explains it:

Being able to play with your children in the park or climb the stairs easily is more important than losing a certain number of pounds

So, basically since she's no longer huffing and puffing from ascending the two short flights of stairs to get to her home's second story, then she's achieved her goals. Well, bravo Janelle! You're now capable of doing something that 90% (or more) of the population does with ease on a daily basis!

Oh, boy:

somebody on the Facebook Live said, ‘I have knee problems,’” she said. “The coach explained some things you could do to circumvent the knee problem.”

Yeah, they should be referring those people to their doctors instead of trying to give advice. That's just opening themselves up to a lawsuit when the knee problems get worse. Besides, I wouldn't trust the advice of anyone dumb enough to get involved in this "business" with one of these grifters.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 1

Their disclaimer reads like a software license. WTF? And why do they have so much in capital letters? That makes it really damned hard to read that disclaimer. Hey, uhh, Janelle, you do realize you can do things like bold and italics and bold italics, right? They're much easier to read than all that damn caps.

Looked at the taco video. The taco salad doesn't look too awful, really, for something lacking nachos and shells. (Which, good on her for deleting the useless carbs!) That all said, I can't imagine anyone paying $10 a month for access to a video on how to buy seasoning and shells, brown taco meat, cut tomatoes and other vegetables, and put it all together either with or without taco shells. Americanized tacos are pretty pedestrian and the fact she considers this to be some kind of event really says a lot about their family. (BTW, Janelle, there are better seasonings out there than Old El Paso. Yuck! Check your local Mexican mercado for some really good stuff. We even have one of those in Red Wing, MN. So, there has to be at least one in Las Vegas!)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, tabloidlover said:

is her big tip for spicing up dinner merely adding taco seasoning to the ground beef?

Thanks for saying this better than I did. This is part of my complaint about her "10 meals in 10 days" challenge. All her food is so basic that I'm surprised anyone needs an instructional video to make this stuff. Hell, I don't even cook (on anything you could possibly construe to be a regular basis) and even I'm capable of fucking tacos. And I still wouldn't use Old El Paso. That crap was fine in the 1980's when it was harder to get authentic Mexican flavor profiles. But today? Even tiny cities (Red Wing is 16k people) have a Mexican mercado where you can get good stuff like authentic seasonings, horchata mix, and a lot more - and using crap like Old El Paso is just inexcusable and absolutely bottom of the barrel rubbish.

• Love 1

Cheap video made with a cheap phone. 

Did you see all the grease coming out of the ground beef? Cheap meat. 

I loathe Old El Paso. I live in California so of course I have my pick of Mexican groceries, taquerias, and so on. 

Butter lettuce really? Jarred salsa really? 

Jennie O makes a taco seasoned ground turkey. I buy it all the time but if I was going to make tacos I'd opt for marinated flap meat BBQ d on the grill - 5 minutes on each side then let it rest and chop it up.

Buy some soft corn tortillas, you can get a huge package for a few bucks. 

Use angel hair shredded cabbage for texture and crunch not butter lettuce, unless you're going to use the leaves as shells instead of tortillas. 

That just looks nasty. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Where does one buy ground beef that is  "not for sale"?  What is it for if not to purchase?  And why would you buy that?  I swear this Brown logic gives me a headache.

I think it is beef she bought from a butcher-they use those kind of bags.  Usually when you buy a side of beef, they use packaging like that for hamburger meat.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

I think it is beef she bought from a butcher-they use those kind of bags.  Usually when you buy a side of beef, they use packaging like that for hamburger meat.

I just assumed it was mystery meat sourced from Area 51.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Who doesn't know how to make basic tacos? And yeah, it's pretty dated. We have many carnicerias here in Vegas that carry authentic Mexican ingredients.

Speaking of, I just made a version using strips of chicken sautéed in seasonings, then wrapped in chard leaves with chopped tomatoes, peppers and kale. Uber yum and less calories than Janelle's version. Chard leaves are huge and make great wraps!

3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Btw their disclaimer comes accross as rude, to me. They do mention seeking medical advice, though.

https://www.strivewithjanelle.com/disclaimer/

That disclaimer is the longest most obnoxious thing I have ever seen.  It looks like they sat down and copied every boilerplate they could find and cut and pasted them all together to create that mess.  I don't think medical experiment waivers are that long and detailed. And repetitive, sheesh.  

It is defensive to the point of being almost hostile, like they think I just can't WAIT to sue them for something so they are going to head me off at every pass three different ways ahead of time.  It's really sort of insulting, lol. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

I make up my own seasoning mixes and salsas. No added preservatives or extra salts that way. Lots of recipes online. FOR free.

But GC, Janelle says this is exactly the way her very large family likes their tacos. 

Hahaaaaaa

• Love 3

So STRIVE is supposed to have 3600 members?  I'm giving that number the big stink eye.

Anyway, if they have that many people, why no comments on their posts?  Every post I've ever looked at has almost no comments.  She doesn't have anyone (looking at you, Maddie) who can begin the conversion?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Janelle says this is exactly the way her very large family likes their tacos. 

And THAT is the problem with her thinking. Can't change up the diet to a healthy one because, whaaaa, we LIKE it crappy and unhealthy!

I have been off of processed and salty/sugary food for so long now that when I get a taste of it, it tastes horrible and makes me sick.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, toodles said:

So STRIVE is supposed to have 3600 members?  I'm giving that number the big stink eye.

Anyway, if they have that many people, why no comments on their posts?  Every post I've ever looked at has almost no comments.  She doesn't have anyone (looking at you, Maddie) who can begin the conversion?

I'm thinking she's counting as "members" people who are following the Strive Twitter feed, along with people who just signed up for the page updates, but haven't paid to actually access that forum which i'm sure is hearing crickets.

• Love 3