Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Regarding This Wedding

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

After a fire ruins a neighborhood wedding, Boden steps up to host the ceremony at the firehouse. That's much to the chagrin of his boss, Chief Riddle, whose political aspirations have caused friction from within the firehouse. Meanwhile, Dawson, who returns to the house, also butts heads with Riddle over her ability to perform and is forced to defend herself despite Boden's support. Severide finds himself fighting for his way back to his old position and Capt. Patterson is caught between loyalty towards leadership and loyalty to his colleagues.

I get the idea of Higher ups just shitting on someone's parade for personal reasons, but....At what point is anybody in that firehouse going to stop doing things that they don't need to be doing?

Chicago has hundreds of parks, have a wedding at a firehouse for WHY?  It's just silly at this point.

• Love 1

Aired In Canada last night so hope this is okay

As much as the whole Riddle thing is a plot device, he has a completely valid claim of the fact that Gabby should not be working under Casey. In any way. It has continually been a problem so why she hasn't moved houses, I don't know. Well I do, she's Gabby. She can do anything. And really, did I miss the issue with the fact that he brought up the baby? It is a traumatizing thing. She was in the hospital, lost a baby, that all factors in to her mental and physical state. Why the outrage? Other than the fact that the doctor cleared her already. But I'd be questioning the crap out of that house too with all the shit that goes on.

And Gabby, you won a bar. Have the wedding there if it's so damn important. Don't guilt trip your boss. I normally like their community involvement but they've become so self important about it.

• Love 5

It's clear to me Antonio taught Gabby how to fight years ago because I'm SURE she was bullied, she's so goddamn annoying.  I know Riddle wasn't being altruistic with his whole, "are you ok mentally", but...IS Gabby ok mentally?  Because she seems like the chip on her shoulder is now the size of a discus. 

Also, I know Chief doesn't want to be bullied, but there was really no reason they couldn't have had the wedding at Molly's.  Or a park. Or ANYWHERE but the firehouse.  It's silly.

And no, I don't trust that captain. He clearly dyes his hair black.

• Love 1

Also, I know Chief doesn't want to be bullied, but there was really no reason they couldn't have had the wedding at Molly's.  Or a park. Or ANYWHERE but the firehouse.  It's silly.

I thought about Molly's as well, but I know some people's religion is against drinking so that wouldn't be the best venue.for them.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1

It's nice to see that Cruz and Sylvie have kept a friendly relationship. Beautiful voice, Sylvie.

Too much Chicago Med. Do. Not. Care.

The showrunners seemingly think they need a neverending string of human antagonists menacing the firefighters jobs/house 51 but I think that fire, accidents, arsons etc. make better ones. Maybe it's my problem with this season, the political shenanigans are wearing thin with me.

With the guitar playing and his "early" exposure to all as a fame whore/opportunist, I fear that the writers chose Patterson as a candidate to walk Redemption Road.

Chilli and Jimmy, they have chemistry! Shipper happy, I really like them and I liked their scenes.

Of course, marriage is going to be their conflict - I bet that Jimmy was already fantasizing about the ceremony when she said she didn't want to get married, if I rely on his disappointed puppy face. I think they've done a good job with Chilli's positivity and non-angsty exploitation of her tragic background, so I hope that when conflict comes, it will be treated with the same little touch of levity. I don't want to see Chilli going dark and twisty. As for Jimmy, I love that he's a decent guy and I want to see him loose the green but no Break the Cutie, please.

Was that a Severide and Casey scene at the end? Nice! Can I have more? 

• Love 3

Stupid episode.

Did that bride even want to get married in a firehouse? Really, that couple could have just gotten married in the hospital (if only Chicago Med had already started :)), boom, problem solved. And weren't some of the wedding party drinking in Molly's that night--guess our bar owners didn't want to offer a free wedding.

I missed out on exactly who William Dunbar was and why his family needed the house to cough up money for him for several days, but I thought sure that boot full of money was going to get stolen during the wedding.

Go away Gabby.

Grrr to the EMT case of the week--I would be calling 911 again if those two showed up. They couldn't even move that guy without help? Look, Jelly/chilli, a big fat man had a heart attack and almost suffocated a woman who is married to someone else! No wonder you don't want to get married, that could happen to you! At least I think that was the only point of that plotline. And Brett's just a pink ruffly stereotype now--she likes babies, it was her idea to have the wedding at the firehouse, she has the voice of an angel. Get her a man and send her out of here. I miss Shay more and more.

Why is Boden's boss micromanaging the house in the first place, calling Gabby in to evaluate her physical and mental condition, demoting Severide? Just stupid and unbelievable.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh

The showrunners seemingly think they need a neverending string of human antagonists menacing the firefighters jobs/house 51 but I think that fire, accidents, arsons etc. make better ones. Maybe it's my problem with this season, the political shenanigans are wearing thin with me.

Funny, I was just thinking this!  I'm getting tired of so much personal drama but most especially of the bogus political drama.  It doesn't ring true, and it's BORING.  There are better stories to tell, and if they don't show up soon, I won't be watching.  It's disappointing to watch this show deteriorate when they have so much potential in the characters they have. 

• Love 5

Stupid episode.

Did that bride even want to get married in a firehouse? Really, that couple could have just gotten married in the hospital (if only Chicago Med had already started :)), boom, problem solved. And weren't some of the wedding party drinking in Molly's that night--guess our bar owners didn't want to offer a free wedding.

I missed out on exactly who William Dunbar was and why his family needed the house to cough up money for him for several days, but I thought sure that boot full of money was going to get stolen during the wedding.

Go away Gabby.

Grrr to the EMT case of the week--I would be calling 911 again if those two showed up. They couldn't even move that guy without help? Look, Jelly/chilli, a big fat man had a heart attack and almost suffocated a woman who is married to someone else! No wonder you don't want to get married, that could happen to you! At least I think that was the only point of that plotline. And Brett's just a pink ruffly stereotype now--she likes babies, it was her idea to have the wedding at the firehouse, she has the voice of an angel. Get her a man and send her out of here. I miss Shay more and more.

Why is Boden's boss micromanaging the house in the first place, calling Gabby in to evaluate her physical and mental condition, demoting Severide? Just stupid and unbelievable.

Because he's in line for a better job and the only blip in his district is House 51. You know, the house who called a millionaire out on Arson and then lost all the paperwork.  That only didn't blow up in Gabby/Boden/EVERYBODYs face because Gabby's boss(the guy who stole the evidence) was a soft touch. 

Edited by Watermelon

Way too much Chicago Med stuff. I don't care for the male doctor and I really don't care to have to stay in the hospital too long after they drop off a victim. I don't care and I'm losing interest fast. 

• Love 2

I thought so much of this episode that I fell asleep about 15 minutes in.  

This used to be such a great show.  Now we know it has become BORING with all the same crap.  Maybe if they sent Gabby away, I wouldn't fall asleep.  Sick and tired of St. Gabby, her perfectness and being able to do it all because she is, after all, St. Gabby.  BARF.

I liked this episode more then the last two but ugh I'm so sick of the BIG BAD VILLAINS chasing down the innocent firehouse storylines.

Severide lost his leadership position last year because he acted like an idiot and showed bad judgement when it came to that high school friend of his. It's not a shock he'd find his job hard to retain given they replaced him while he did the course. But instead of watching that play out, it's just Patterson ~the political asshole trying to force his way to the top while Severide is cheated out of his rightful position as leader.

Riddle may as well have had an evil moustache to twirl in all his scenes. He went too far with Gabby. I do think he would have a legitimate point in Matt/Gabby working together because it has failed in the past and they've obviously personal grievances they're working through right now but instead of saying that he just jumps straight into bullying her. Same with his point on the wedding, it was a ridiculous plan that the firehouse host it but the writers take it too far he insults everyone.

It's just exhausting to watch. Like I get who I'm supposed to be rooting for in the storyline. I really feel the writers could write Patterson and Riddle as gray characters who are slightly interesting to watch rather then these pure evil plot points that are out to get 51. The anvils are too heavy.

I loved Jimmy/Chilli though. I like that they're so opposite. Now that Dawsey baby is no more they're about the only thing that feels fresh about the season.

Cute Sylvie and Cruz scenes too. It's nice that they've remained such good pals.

• Love 3

Ugh, that was not good.  Show, if you want me to root against a person don't have him be right about most of what he says.  Casey should not be in a management position over his would have been baby mama, so Gabby should have been transferred to a different station or position after being cleared from medical leave.  No, I don't think the chief was out of line to question the someone recovering from a miscarriage going to work under the supervision of her baby daddy.  Yes, she was medically cleared and I thought Gabby implied that clearance included some sort of pysch eval, but it doesn't cover the question of breaking fraternization regs.   Honestly, I would have been happy to see Gabby stay in arson - lots of potential plots with arson investigations and as someone who enjoys seeing some of the technical side of firefighting I would have loved to spend some more time learning a bit about what goes into arson investigation.  Instead of course they blow the arson plotline with the corrupt, suicidal boss trying to screw poor little Gabby over.  And while I think the whole demoting Severide seemed a bit much, he did have a lot of screw-ups and needs to learn to control his temper instead of yelling at his superiors and calling them names, so the evil boss man wasn't entirely wrong to recommend Severide get some leadership training before being put in charge again. 

The only thing I think the "evil" chief was really wrong about was the wedding, because the new squad leader had a good point, it's good publicity for the department.  Poor couple loses their home in a fire, and because the groom has to stay overnight in a hospital they lose their venue and wedding party family members have to leave before the couple could put something together, so fire personnel volunteer to help throw them a new wedding is the sort of great human interest piece that the media and most general public love.  If the chief wasn't so inherently anti 51 and anti Boden, being politically minded he should have realized it himself.  That being said, there was so much stupid with the firehouse wedding plan.  I can understand the couple losing their venue and pastor with needing to change dates, but I missed why they wouldn't have flowers and decorations already - don't most florists deliver the stuff to the church/venue?  Besides using Molly's as a venue, and I can understand why a couple might not want their wedding ceremony held in a bar, do none of the guys own a house with a yard nor the hospital have a chapel?  And really Brett, using an ipod hooked up to some speakers is really worse than having Cap perform acapella?

I was also confused by the Bobby D mentions - is he someone the audience was supposed to know?  The chaplain getting drunk over his death plotline felt really random, I guess it was just to add to the wacky wedding hijinks?

• Love 2

I thought the chief was a sexist jerk by bringing up the baby to Gabby.  If his concern was that Gabby hadn't cleared whatever psych evaluation was necessary to come back to work, then that would have been one thing, but that wasn't his complaint.  He does have a point about fraternization, but if he was legitimately concerned about that, he should have gone after Casey, not Gabby.  I'm not sure why the chief hasn't gone after Casey at all, actually.  It's not like he lacks ammunition, considering both the ongoing fraternization and the recent, unaddressed abduction issue.  

I do think the chief's sexism lost some of its sting though, when the show itself is focusing so heavily on Gabby's grief and well-being after the loss of the baby, and ignoring that the baby had a father too.  I mean, okay, Casey has proven more than capable of repressing terrible crap, but I'd like to see something.

I don't know if it's acting style or what, but I find the paramedic girls so utterly bland.  I did appreciate that they seem to finally be giving Chilli some layers, between the angsty backstory (I was a little sad that Casey wasn't in the room for that bit about her parents trying to kill each other, because that would have been just a little awkward) and the cute relationship with Jimmy.  Sylvie's just kind of a waste of space to me though.

I want very much to like this show, but it gets harder each week. I'm so tired of Casey and Gabby and their little soap opera. I'm also tired of the endless soap opera drama around 51's existence. How many times can Severide and the Chief be on the verge of termination?

There's so much real drama in the life of a firefighter that would make a fascinating show if the writers were willing/able to do it. I guess it's easier to write Gabby drama, Severide's hoe of the week and everybody picks on 51 stories.

There are some some well written and credible characters, but most of the writing is very weak. PD seems so much better written.

Edited by Andy
  • Love 5

The only thing I think the "evil" chief was really wrong about was the wedding, because the new squad leader had a good point, it's good publicity for the department.  Poor couple loses their home in a fire, and because the groom has to stay overnight in a hospital they lose their venue and wedding party family members have to leave before the couple could put something together, so fire personnel volunteer to help throw them a new wedding is the sort of great human interest piece that the media and most general public love.  

Except why would fire fighters need the added publicity? Everybody loves firefighters.

Also agree that Gaby shouldn't be working for Casey, although I am just glad they didn't promote her to the head of the arson department after her boss admitted to being corrupt. Since I wouldn't really be surprised if the writers tried that because she is Gaby.

• Love 1

Why couldn't they have just contacted the media on behalf of the couple.  I'm sure some news station would have loved the chance to throw the couple a dream wedding and would have been able to arrange everything donated.  I really don't think the firefighters are the only people who are sympathetic.  

I agreed way too much with Riddle about Gabby not working under Casey to get upset about that part.  He could have said things more tactfully but they shouldn't be working together.  There is also an incredibly easy solution.  Somebody changes to a new shift.  Aren't there three shifts?  I would assume it wouldn't too difficult to find one person willing to switch.  Alternately they could switch someone to a different house.  But allowing her to return to being under him is just so wrong.

There is also an incredibly easy solution.  Somebody changes to a new shift.  Aren't there three shifts?  I would assume it wouldn't too difficult to find one person willing to switch.  Alternately they could switch someone to a different house.  But allowing her to return to being under him is just so wrong.

There is actually a whole other truck (the fire engine) in Fire House 51 that Gaby could get transferred to that almost never gets seen or mentioned. They tried sending Gaby to another house remember. In that house they treated her only slightly worse than 51 treated Peter Mills when he was a candidate, but apparently that house was the worst bunch of guys ever.

There is actually a whole other truck (the fire engine) in Fire House 51 that Gaby could get transferred to that almost never gets seen or mentioned. They tried sending Gaby to another house remember. In that house they treated her only slightly worse than 51 treated Peter Mills when he was a candidate, but apparently that house was the worst bunch of guys ever.

It really is sad how they completely ignore the engine and for the most part the role of water. 

• Love 2

Gabby is so typical of these young whippersnappers today. The chief was totally right that fraternization rules preclude a firefighter working "under" her baby daddy. He should have just transferred her out without any question. Gabby Sue just thinks the rules don't apply to her. These kids never take personal responsiblity and the rules just don't matter. Or the law.

Oh yeah one more thing.

GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 3

I didn't have a problem with Gabby asking Riddle if he asks male firefighters about their emotional state when they come off medical leave, but when they all thought he was being a jerk by bringing up the baby? Umm, what did they think he would ask about?

• Love 1

I didn't have a problem with Gabby asking Riddle if he asks male firefighters about their emotional state when they come off medical leave, but when they all thought he was being a jerk by bringing up the baby? Umm, what did they think he would ask about?

That was my first reax too - esp when Sylvie let out the big gasp. But I'm wondering if they meant that Riddle commented on getting knocked up - allegedly - by her LT (valid - but he could have asked a bit more delicately). I remember thinking that the way he worded it at the time was offensive - made it sound like the father could have been any one of many guys.

• Love 1

Chilli at the end was hot though.

IMO, of course.

With her hair down she looked much nicer than usual.

I have noticed that both Chilli and Brett often look hotter in the scenes at Molly's than they do at the firehouse. Which is one detail about the show I kind of appreciate. 

• Love 2

Well actually the father could have been one of several guys. Mills. Halstead. Her direct supervisor. Who knows what rumors the guy heard. I bet there are just as many fireman that hate Gabby Sue as love her. In any event the fact that her direct supervisor impregnated her is enough to transfer her immediately. The fact that it didn't happen is not credible. But then this is TV and nothing they do is credible. 

I know Riddle is supposed to be evil...but I agree with a lot he said. And what was up with both Gabby and Severide acting like 2 year olds because they didn't get their way? If I spoke to my superiors that way, I wouldn't have a job to go back to.

• Love 2

Well actually the father could have been one of several guys. Mills. Halstead. Her direct supervisor. Who knows what rumors the guy heard. I bet there are just as many fireman that hate Gabby Sue as love her. In any event the fact that her direct supervisor impregnated her is enough to transfer her immediately. The fact that it didn't happen is not credible. But then this is TV and nothing they do is credible. 

TBH, I can't imagine anybody in the city likes her besides her house.  There's nothing altogether impressive about her, and she's been around for the death of 2 other women who were 1) likeable(Shay) and 2)connected(other lady firefighter).

In any event the fact that her direct supervisor impregnated her is enough to transfer her immediately. The fact that it didn't happen is not credible. But then this is TV and nothing they do is credible. 

She did get transferred to arson - but I think that was just about safety and not that they cared about a proper workplace environment.