Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Beautiful Mistake

When Elijah and Freya realize that Rebekah may be the target of The Strix's latest plan, they do whatever it takes to protect her. Elsewhere, Klaus spends time with Aurora to figure out where her loyalties lie, while a dangerous run-in with a member of The Strix leads Hayley and Marcel to make an unsettling discovery. Finally, an elaborate scheme created by Lucien leaves Cami faced with a difficult decision to make and Detective Kinney fighting for his life.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fpyetui8F4

I watched this episode because I knew that Claire Holt was going to be in it. I was struck by how isolated Real Rebekah is from her siblings. It makes me think that despite the claims otherwise that there is some real life tension between Claire and the main cast. Too bad because she is my favorite and this means it is unlikely that she will ever be part of the regular cast any time soon.

I wish I could see more chemistry between Aurora and Klaus, because I love the idea that Klaus's soulmate is of a similar level of batshit crazy to his.

Am I alone in missing Hope? I'd just like to know what the custody situation is right now, and I miss seeing Joseph Morgan with those babies.

• Love 2

Another dull episode.

Hope is adorable. I miss seeing that happy little baby, too.

I wish I could see more chemistry between Aurora and Klaus, because I love the idea that Klaus's soulmate is of a similar level of batshit crazy to his.

Yeah, TA. In theory, it should work, but in practice...

I even enjoyed Klaus and Aurora's date. Aurora's a great addition to the show in general, imo. But I can't really see the two of them as a romantic couple, let alone as an ~epic romance.~

• Love 1

I love that one of the things Elijah and Klaus have in common with Damon and Stefan is that even though they fight like cats and dogs, they are never more united than when they have a common enemy.

I know hybrids are supposed to be extra strong, but Hayley was able to take down an 800 year old vampire? I mean, at least Rebekah gave the excuse that she'd been in a coffin for six months (and even then I had a hard time believing that Aya was matching her).

What I really hate is when the show insists on writing these characters as stupid. Once Freya knocked out Aya and her henchman, why didn't Freya and Rebekah actually kill them? Instead they just skipped out to go get the spell Rebekah had tracked down. It would have taken a minute or two to stake everyone in the room, damn it.

Loved seeing Claire Holt again. And cute to see that Rebekah and Freya have been having magical drinking dates!

What I really hate is when the show insists on writing these characters as stupid. Once Freya knocked out Aya and her henchman, why didn't Freya and Rebekah actually kill them? Instead they just skipped out to go get the spell Rebekah had tracked down. It would have taken a minute or two to stake everyone in the room, damn it.

That was my only real problem with the episode (that, and how Cami dealt with Lucien. If you're literally the only person that can give a person what they want... It's very hard for them to threaten you with anything. Like..."I'll kill {insert random} if you don't give me what I want!" Other person replies "If you kill {insert random} then I'm not giving you sh*t." ). What was the point in keeping them alive? There was none! None! Except for plot!

I also would like to know the Klaus/Hayley custody arrangements. It doesn't seem like Klaus doesn't get to see his daughter...like I couldn't see Freya not bringing Hope to the manor while she's bbsitting if Klaus asks her to. And....why are they leaving Hope with Jackson (and only Jackson) if they know the Mikaelsons are being attacked? I feel like any person worth their salt would just attempt to get at Hope to get to all of them. They need Hayley and co out of the way so that they can get to Davina? Kidnap Hope! They need to get all the Mikaelson's in one place: Kidnap Hope!

As much as I love the actress portraying Witch Rebekah I am always so pleased to see CH as Rebekah! Agree with the poster above who wondered why in hell Rebekah and Freya didn't kill the Strix when they were all dead-by-necksnap, it would have taken just a few minutes, sheesh.

Genghis Khan's torture consultant is one total hottie. Too bad he went up in flames. There is no way that hybrid Hayley would have gotten the best of that guy. No freaking way. And interesting to hear that there may be an object that can incapacitate the Originals and that Davina is targeted as the only witch that can use/activate it. This is just me hoping that Vincent actually tries to help her because I'm shallow and miss seeing YG. :-)

Cami is such a waste. The only reason Lucien didn't kill her/have Will kill her is because he knows Klaus has a soft spot for her. ARGH.

We have seen all of these people kill out of mere crankiness/spite so it seems out of character for them NOT to kill Aya and the other Strix people. It's not like they didn't have good cause since they were obviously there for nefarious purposes. What did Rebekah and Freya think would happen? These pissed off vampires with an agenda to kill Rebekah's witch body would wake up and be like, "Well, I guess we'll just go back to New Orleans!"? Leaving them alive just ensured that they would continue searching for Rebekah and Freya. If it was just a matter of being in a hurry, Freya could have magicked stakes into all of them in less than a minute!

At least I can kind of understand Marcel wanting to torture some info out of Hot Asian Vampire before killing him (plus he was planning to kill him once he was done).

Am I alone in missing Hope? I'd just like to know what the custody situation is right now, and I miss seeing Joseph Morgan with those babies.

Klaus and Aurora have anti-chemistry. I can't watch them because there is nothing between them. I just sit back and listen to Joseph Morgan's voice.

The first interesting Strix we've met was Genghis Khan's senior torturer and this show had to kill him.

Why did the show have to go through the insane machinations to get Rebekah back to New Orleans? When once she got the spell, Rebekah would have come back to New Orleans to resurrect Kol.

There is no way that hybrid Hayley would have gotten the best of that guy. No freaking way.

I know hybrids are supposed to be extra strong, but Hayley was able to take down an 800 year old vampire? I mean, at least Rebekah gave the excuse that she'd been in a coffin for six months (and even then I had a hard time believing that Aya was matching her).

I remember on the mother ship Tyler was able to take down Katherine's 500 year old daughter.  So there is some precedent.  Yet I still find it hard to believe.  To be fair, I found it hard to believe Tyler could take down a 500 year old vamp. 

One of the things that has always bugged me about the writing for Rebekah is that she's always, IMO, been shown to be weaker than her brothers both physically and emotionally.  She's never really seen as an equal as she should be.   

Agree with the poster above who wondered why in hell Rebekah and Freya didn't kill the Strix when they were all dead-by-necksnap, it would have taken just a few minutes, sheesh.

Seriously.  This just never makes sense to me.  The plot didn't need Rebekah to be daggered, for the umpteenth millionth time, in order to have her back in New Orleans.  

Also stupid, the incessant need by villains to make "witty" comments just before killing the protagonists, there by allowing time for the "heroes" to be rescued.  Dude had the opportunity to kill Haley and Marcel at the same time, but nope, had to dramatically pause and quip.   Though I did enjoy Elijah's comment to Marcel about taking out the trash. 

And interesting to hear that there may be an object that can incapacitate the Originals and that Davina is targeted as the only witch that can use/activate it.

I keep trying to figure out what's so special about Davina.  At least on the VD, you knew they were often looking for a Bennet Witch in particular so Bonnie being specifically targeted made sense.  Here, in a city full of witches, it's always Davina that is targeted and I just don't understand why.  I know in the first season it was because she was a Harvest Girl.  But since then? 

I am not loving this season, the whole sire lines at war thing (even though  no revealed to be kinda bullshit) has never worked for me, but this episode was probably my favorite so far, because as much as Aurora and Klaus don't have the chemistry,I still love that A) she was turned by Rebeka, B) She was compelled to think she WAS Rebeka, C) She knew revealing that she saved Rebekah would get her laid by Klaus who is in love with Rebekah. Oh and she and Tristan are as incesty as Klebekah. Heh.

Another good thing about this season has been Riley's Freya, I really like her as the mediator of her brothers madness, and having drinks with Rebekah, she seems to have toned down some weird ticks she had all last year. I wish I could be more excited about Kol's resurrection, but they killed off the beautiful Danile Sharman body (and now Maisie too dammit!) so whatevs. 

Y'know it says a lot that every time Haley shows up I think "Faye", because she's TERRIBLE. 

All this time spent on Tristan/Lucien/Aurora only reminds me how much more I wish I was spending time on Marcel, Vincent, and Davina, particularly Vincent/Davina, I want to see them working together and eventually Vincent leading/uniting the covens. 

how Cami dealt with Lucien. If you're literally the only person that can give a person what they want... It's very hard for them to threaten you with anything. Like..."I'll kill {insert random}

The unbelievably dumb part of that is that Lucien HAD all that shit in his condo, he just made her go through it? I mean it's kind of funny he was that lazy, but it was clear she had no special knowledge so just have your dumb minions go through it and find it! I also thought it was dumb that Haley's wolf bite didn't take effect and that vamp could still kick their ass? Like he should have been feeling it. 

The idea of "decoy Mikealsons" will never not be funny to me. Also, when Elijah fucks someone over, he really goes the extra mile doesn`t he?

And I love how it is explained that Tristan was turned. While he was the only one sired on purpose, apparently it was nothing more than "I already have a Klaus and a Rebekah for my set, now I just need a me-figure because screw Finn and Kol, right? Even our father will not question us leaving them on the side of the road. So, where to find a me? Oh, you in the green tunic, come over here, you will work just fine". Ahahahaha.

Though Aurora, maybe because being batshit crazy, seems much smarter than and two steps ahead of Lucian and Tristan. When she told Klaus to come back to bed after telling him about her Rebekah ploy, it was a clear message of "I own your ass". And he looked like he knew it.

I wonder what it is SHE wants. Apparently not vengeance. Or at least not in the way her brother and Lucian want it. Right now, she seems to be want to keep Klaus like a little poseable doll,

Some fun parts here but neither the Lucian-Cami-Logan Echolls nor the stuff with Hailey really held my interest.

Not to mention, stake those stupid Stryx, you idiots. At least Klaus would have dramatically eviscerated them and then paint a mediocre painting with their blood. Urgh.

• Love 3

The Sire Line War makes a little more sense now, since it was a big fat lie.  They're working together because they've twice seen what happens when a Mikaelson dies and they're fearing for their lives.  I hope that their plan to trap the siblings together behind an impenetrable barrier works both ways.  Otherwise someone could enter and kill all of them after they've desiccated and can't fight back. I'm getting a real "Akasha and Enkil" vibe from this -- is there an ancient Egyptian tomb somewhere in New Orleans that they can use?

I love Claire Holt, love Rebekkah, but boy is she stupid.  When is she ever going to learn that 9 times out of 10, witches are setting traps for her?

Alos, the Strix plan with her made little sense.  They wanted her immobilized body so they could dump it behind the mystical barrier.  Well, why kill her witchy self?  They had unoccupied body already.  Just keep witch!Becky unconscious, toss Vamp!Becky into the prison, THEN kill her witch-self.  But no, Aya had to do this elaborate trap just to have a villainous gloating session before daggering her.

I hate Rebekah's pointless returns. This show continues to be so shortsighted. The had her witch body repaired at the end of last season only to get rid of it again in this episode. Such bad writing

I watched this episode because I knew that Claire Holt was going to be in it. I was struck by how isolated Real Rebekah is from her siblings. It makes me think that despite the claims otherwise that there is some real life tension between Claire and the main cast. Too bad because she is my favorite and this means it is unlikely that she will ever be part of the regular cast any time soon.

Claire doesn't want to be on this show as a regular. It has nothing to do with any BTS drama.

I keep trying to figure out what's so special about Davina. At least on the VD, you knew they were often looking for a Bennet Witch in particular so Bonnie being specifically targeted made sense. Here, in a city full of witches, it's always Davina that is targeted and I just don't understand why. I know in the first season it was because she was a Harvest Girl. But since then?

I couldn't figure out why the Strix vamps were so insistent that they need Davina to activate the medallion but the only thing I could come up with is that she's the regent now. Maybe activating the medallion requires more power than a regular witch has or older magic that Davina can access if she contacts the ancestors.

Alos, the Strix plan with her made little sense.  They wanted her immobilized body so they could dump it behind the mystical barrier.  Well, why kill her witchy self?  They had unoccupied body already.  Just keep witch!Becky unconscious, toss Vamp!Becky into the prison, THEN kill her witch-self.  But no, Aya had to do this elaborate trap just to have a villainous gloating session before daggering her.

Her Original body was hidden (presumably by magic) so they killed her witch body so she'd be forced to return to her actually body, therefore making it easier to find her. ---Or at least I think that's what they said

Genghis Khan's torture consultant is one total hottie. Too bad he went up in flames.

Pun intended?

There is no way that hybrid Hayley would have gotten the best of that guy. No freaking way.

Everybody on this and the other show somehow manage to get their asses kicked by people that shouldn't stand of ghost of a chance against them on a regular basis. As a great man once said, "POWER LEVELS ARE BULLSHIT!!!"

It's one of the reasons I was both simultaneously glad to hear Lucien say that line "against vampires, humans always lose" because it was nice to see that power discrepancy not kicking in for once and also sad because the law of narrative irony means that line will make sure Cami will kill Lucien at the end of this, in the most asspull way possible, and probably quoting that same line back to him.

Cami is such a waste. The only reason Lucien didn't kill her/have Will kill her is because he knows Klaus has a soft spot for her. ARGH.

Agreed, either vamp her so she can actually remotely have a purpose or kill her already. Cami does nothing, contributes nothing and never has, and the only thing she does is get in the way, that needs to change. Cami is like, well, just about every normal human character on The Vampire Diaries, she'll either die or be completely and utterly useless until someone turns her, just like Matt still is now.

It seemed like Lucien was only doing the whole thing for his own amusement anyway.

The idea of "decoy Mikealsons" will never not be funny to me. Also, when Elijah fucks someone over, he really goes the extra mile doesn`t he?

Yes, and that incredibly sexy smile he gave Freya when he was explaining what he did are the reasons I love him best of all.

• Love 2

The way he turned and smiled before telling her totally cracked me up. First of all, we rarely see Elijah smile so gleefully. Secondly, I thought the same thing - when Elijah messes with people, he doesn't half ass it.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

STAKE THEM YOU FOOLS!

Just finished this episode and it wasn't bad but I just don't understand why Freya and Rebekah did not stake the Strix vamps!

Though it did seem like Aya has been tailing Becks for a while now and even set up her meeting with the witch...

But then again, they could have waited for Rebekah to get the spell and come to New Orleans and restore her to her original body and dagger her there so the plan seems useless especially that The Strix is supposed to be a bunch of vampires with ground breaking intelligence and whatnot.

I don't mind Klaus and Aurora so much, anything to keep him away from Cami really. I just wish her story was hinted at in the earlier seasons. Like just one line about Klaus having his heart broken way back when by his psychotic soulmate or whatever.

Love Elijah and Marcel. I laughed so hard when Elijah said: Marcellus when I ask you to take out the trash...

So what's with the super old super powerful vampire? I don't understand why Elijah and Becks were so alarmed when they knew he was around. Are we going to get some back story on him? Or are the writers trying to show us how powerful Hayley is because she managed to bite the guy and tie him up with a rope?

I like that Elijah's misdeeds are unraveling. It's a nice continuity from last season's red door plot.

Edited by raytch

I hate Rebekah's pointless returns. This show continues to be so shortsighted. The had her witch body repaired at the end of last season only to get rid of it again in this episode. Such bad writing

Claire doesn't want to be on this show as a regular. It has nothing to do with any BTS drama.

Do you know why she doesn't want to be a regular? I know she is on Aquarius and chose to leave for that. Just curious.

Wish she would come back as I love her character. Was good to see her. Still patiently waiting for Kol.

Do you know why she doesn't want to be a regular? I know she is on Aquarius and chose to leave for that. Just curious.

I can't speak for Claire Holt, but I know that some actors have chosen not to be regulars on other shows because they don't want to be tied down. The standard contract for being a regular on a network show means committing to 22 episodes a season for seven years, which is a long time. That means they can't become regulars on another show and their options for starring in movies becomes a lot more limited because they either have to shoot during hiatus or they have to convince the producers to reduce their role or rearrange the schedule to allow them to shoot both projects simultaneously (which is what Sarah Michelle Gellar did when she shot Scooby Doo 2 and the last season of Buffy). Chris Noth chose not to be a regular on The Good Wife, which has allowed him to shoot several other projects (one movie a year plus a mini series) in the seven years that he's been on the show. Connor Paolo chose not to be a regular on Gossip Girl which later allowed him to become a regular on Revenge. Is Claire a regular on Aquarius or recurring? Either way, maybe the shorter season appealed to her. Or maybe she just wanted to do something edgier with a well known actor. I mean, I love The Originals but it's a vampire show on the CW so I can see the appeal of wanting to do a series about Charles Manson with David Duchovny instead.

• Love 1