Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: The Big 1-2

It's Eddie's 12th birthday and instead of celebrating with his family, he plans his own birthday party with his friends at the mall. When confronted about his secret party, Eddie confesses that the Huang family rules are stifling his true persona. So Louis and Jessica agree to loosen the reigns and let him go to a sleepover at Dave's house. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan purposely misbehave to gain attention from their parents.

So funny that when the two little boys rebel they played "Slam" by Onyx.  My older brother was the prototypical rebellious black sheep of the family.  I always explain the music he listened to back then as a shorthand for this.  Extreme over the top music like Marilyn Manson, Korn,.... and Onyx.

It is sooooooo Asian to go to a white house as a kid and see some shit that's kind of fucked up.  My personal example is a friend who had a huge dog that would climb all over me, push me down, and bite me.  The mother at that house never reacted once to my visible and vocal pain, fear, and concern.  I never went back.

However, my family ALSO was that fucked up house in our way!  I had a super healthy vegan friend who would bounce all over the walls whenever I'd give her a sip of Coke.  Her mother was so sweet and would keep Coke and milk in their house -- JUST for me!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

It was nice seeing Mo Collins again--she looks great! Not that much different from the MadTV days. She's so good at playing trashy characters.

Totally remember being that age and not wanting to do the family birthday thing; also, totally brought back memories of the culture shock of sleeping over your friends house for the first time. No matter how good of friends you are, its always a little strange to see how differently your friends live from you.

Never thought I would be love a sitcom again, but I gotta say I look forward to this show every Tuesday. It has a lot to do with the nostalgia factor. I was the same age as Eddie in '95 so I see a lot of my childhood in this show. Great job on the writers for keeping the '90s "feel" every week.

• Love 4

Awww... this episode was kinda sweet.  It was a good mix of amusing and heartwarming.  Though there were some wrong notes, like Jessica barging in on the neighbors when there was a death in the family.  That was just not funny.

• Love 1

Awww... this episode was kinda sweet. It was a good mix of amusing and heartwarming. Though there were some wrong notes, like Jessica barging in on the neighbors when there was a death in the family. That was just not funny.

I laughed. It's all about the calm reaction to Jessica's lack of boundaries.

I smile whenever the grandma smiles. It's just so sweet.

• Love 1

I usually always find the brothers funny but they were just on fire tonight.  The line deliveries of "shirt boobs" and "what's up, Jessica?" had me rolling.

The grandma getting in the camera with that smile was awesome.

• Love 9

Birthday noodles! We always have noodles on birthdays too (as well as on New Year's Day), although no special kind. It's just whatever the birthday person feels like on the day. Spaghetti with Classico from a jar is perfectly acceptable as long as the noodles are long. "Long noodles equal long life."

I remember on sleepovers feeling sorry for my friends who had to eat cold cereal instead of a hot breakfast. And being kind of horrified by the one friend's mom who would wake up late, drag herself to the couch, and then put new eye makeup on over the cruddy makeup from the day before that she never washed off. After seeing Dave and his mom last night, I'm beginning to understand why his dad stays away.

LOL at Eddie having to wear underwear because they're not poets.

• Love 1

I felt bad for Eddie not being able to be himself.

Lewis falls with the camera: Jessica: "The camera! Is it ok?"

Poptarts :

Eddie; "You said Poptarts make you go blind."

Jessica: "I lied; I have one everyday after you go to school."

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

I loved Mo as the kid's mom. It reminded me of when she was that big kid's mom on MadTV. His name was Michael MacDonald IIRC and he played, "Stuart." It was hilarious. Anway when she was screaming on this show I had flashbacks of that skit heh.

Does it take 6 hours to make noodles?

• Love 2

I've always liked Dave the best out of Eddie's friends, and it was great to get some more insight to his home life.  We learned last year that his dad is mostly absent, and I wonder if his mom is overly nice/lenient to make up for that (except for the part where they yell angrily at each other to say "goodnight").  It was nice that Eddie could see that as fun as Dave's mom was, he needed--and actually liked--the structure (and healthy food!) his own family provided.  

And I really like Honey and Marvin.  There was something so poignant about Marvin coming in and admitting that he'd had too many vodka lemons and then getting hit with the news of his brother's death.

• Love 1

That was a nice ep. Even though it was predictable that Eddie would realize he loved being home, I still liked seeing it happen.

Jessica staring out the peephole -- "Until he comes home" -- was great. I also loved when she kept giving conditions to Eddie as Louis said, "Jessicaaaaa?" until finally she turned to Louis and said, "Louisssss?"

The opening birthday party video was fun. That poor pinata.

But the best part for me was Emery and Evan trying to be bad and get attention. "It's like we're ghosts."

• Love 4

I too like Honey and Marvin.  Great neighbors and friends for them.

Like how Jessica couldn't throw away the piñata and had to at least use the head, which scared Evan.

Grandma is just great!

I can tell I am a mom: when Dave ate the ice cream and then went right to sleep I yelled "You gotta brush your teeth!" 

I can tell I am a mom: when Dave ate the ice cream and then went right to sleep I yelled "You gotta brush your teeth!" 

I did the same exact thing!  (I don't know if his regular diet is sugary cereal, soda, and ice cream, or if that was just a special sleepover thing, but Dave's teeth must be FULL of cavities!)

I did the same exact thing! (I don't know if his regular diet is sugary cereal, soda, and ice cream, or if that was just a special sleepover thing, but Dave's teeth must be FULL of cavities!)

I actually did that with my goddaughter not too long ago. No one in the room was calling her out on it but I was just like that's not okay. You just had sweets.Man, I am getting old.I also had a mom that didn't press on the brushing/flossing thing and I payed for it as a adult.

Does it take 6 hours to make noodles?

My first thought from that statement was not that it would take six hours to make a noodle dish, but that she were first going to actually make the noodles, and then the dish. Of course I have no idea how long that takes. It seems sort of like either the noodles themselves wouldn't take that long if it's like fresh pasta, but then if they had to rest or some such, maybe that's part of it and would add time? But in my head it definitely sounded either too long for one method that came to mind or way too short for another. So I'm going with "it was supposed to be funny and not precise noodle math" because otherwise my skull hurts. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

So funny that when the two little boys rebel they played "Slam" by Onyx.  My older brother was the prototypical rebellious black sheep of the family.  I always explain the music he listened to back then as a shorthand for this.  Extreme over the top music like Marilyn Manson, Korn,.... and Onyx.

It is sooooooo Asian to go to a white house as a kid and see some shit that's kind of fucked up.  My personal example is a friend who had a huge dog that would climb all over me, push me down, and bite me.  The mother at that house never reacted once to my visible and vocal pain, fear, and concern.  I never went back.

However, my family ALSO was that fucked up house in our way!  I had a super healthy vegan friend who would bounce all over the walls whenever I'd give her a sip of Coke.  Her mother was so sweet and would keep Coke and milk in their house -- JUST for me!

Yeah, but the dog thing isn't unique to white people.  Though other than an older couple in my building, I don't think I know any Asians with BIG ones.  Most keep medium sized dogs.  But I've found that the smaller ones are those who are the most hyper.

• Love 2

Mo Collins is awesome. I hope she is in more episodes. Her character reminded me of the "Feuding Parents" skit on Mad TV years

ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSIiMUt2nTw. That skit is hilarious and Mo was awesome in it.

My parents wouldn't let me sleep over at any friends houses either. I definitely know what it feels like to be the only one going home while everyone else is having fun.

...and we'll have a free Saturday

We can go to work

I've haven't gone to work on a Saturday in years!

Why didn't you tell us there was no party?

because we're your parents, we don't have to tell you things, you have to tell us things, plus i forgot.

Jessica is the best

Edited by MrWhyt
  • Love 2