Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: In Extremis

I think it's different because from the promos, they have to decide on whether to save the officer or the criminal, even though I find that hardto believe because they should have resources to save both. And knowing this show, the officer will die and the criminal live, and Krista will quit. No spoilers, just a spec.

I know that actual doctors probably want to take hostages when they see the medicine on this show, and I recognize that there entirely too many Very Special Moments and Big Speeches .... but it doesn't matter. I'm hooked. They are doing a good first season job of telling each lead's story bit by bit, the medicine at least seems complex, compelling, and realistically chaotic, and -- as someone posted last episode, Raza J is smokin' hot. :-).

(Now that you've been introduced, go stream his MI-5/Spooks seasons. That's where I met him).

Now. The next thing they must do is bring one and preferably two more nurses to the fore. They've established the docs, but as Mama has shown us, none of it is getting done w/o the RNs.

• Love 6

Now. The next thing they must do is bring one and preferably two more nurses to the fore. They've established the docs, but as Mama has shown us, none of it is getting done w/o the RNs.

Yep. On er, I had my favorite nurses, even if I liked them all! I've heard names, but would like to pair faces too.

• Love 2

I'm liking the show, but, dayum! I hate the mama & papa names. I suppose I could tolerate it if they were used correctly but the opposite titles for the woman & the man just grates. Takes me out every time I hear it.

• Love 3

This show dehydrates me every Thursday with the tears. I was expecting Jamal to be the cliche bully that led him to suicide, so am very glad they didn't go that route. That last scene broke my heart. The actor that played Jamal is busy- he was also on Quantico, and he's good in that as well.

Shiri Appleby and Michael Trucco guest starring? Loved it.

The reason I watch this show (and love it) is because the medical scenes are good and full of adrenaline, but also because there is a slow introduction to every character and their backstory without it going overboard. I ended up hating Grey's Anatomy and ER because medicine took a backseat to high school drama, but Code Black's ER trauma scenes are so realistic and chaotic. And even though they didn't leave the ED, we got backstory on Malaya, Cole and his dad's tensioned relationship, and Leanne's traumatic event.

Hope they keep it up. Plus, if it can't be said enough, Raza is hot!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6

Yep, still love it.

My favorite part is indeed how everyone is allowed some character development/backstory, and how everybody interacts. I like how the question of trust is central, and in this episode in particular how Leanne trusted Neal to make the decision for her when she knew she wasn't up to it, and how Neal trusted Christa and Mario to do the procedure.

I wouldn't have minded more Neal, though, he's definitely my favorite.

I'm glad that the media noticed that S.Appleby had played the same role on CF. It was jarring at first, but her character is much more sympathetic here so in the end I was OK with it.

Neal's reaction to Mario's guess of drink for Christa made me put my shipping goggles on and think "Jealous?". My apologies.

Edit:

Was the actor playing the nurse who told the docs that the kid's pacemaker/defibrillator was malfunctioning Gabrielle Carteris (Andrea from 90210)?

Good catch! IMDb credits her as "ER nurse" in 1x05, at least.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

I'm liking the show, but, dayum! I hate the mama & papa names. I suppose I could tolerate it if they were used correctly but the opposite titles for the woman & the man just grates. Takes me out every time I hear it.

I agree totally!  It is one of the stupidest and annoying little contrivances in this entire show, and irritates to the point I grit my teeth.  What is the message they are trying to send?   She couldn't possibly be in charge unless blessed with a male appellation, and he is such a subservient little thing he must be tagged as female? And the whole stupid thing is entwined in the show in such a way I don't think they could stop it if they wanted to.

• Love 3

I agree totally!  It is one of the stupidest and annoying little contrivances in this entire show, and irritates to the point I grit my teeth.  What is the message they are trying to send?   She couldn't possibly be in charge unless blessed with a male appellation, and he is such a subservient little thing he must be tagged as female? And the whole stupid thing is entwined in the show in such a way I don't think they could stop it if they wanted to.

Maybe both characters inherited the old titles people have for their role in this hospital? The Papa term for the boss doctor on the ER floor and Mama for the boss of the ER nurses*. Historically, I assume the head honcho for the docs was male and the head nurse was female. The nicknames don't change even if the person does?

*ETA : or their role to form the ER interns, or whatever. I don't even know if Rorish is the boss on the floor or not but you get my point!

Edited by Pollock
  • Love 1

I'm hooked.

Me too.  It is ridiculous at how happy I am to have a new show to love.  How is it doing in the ratings?

Michael Trucco ... please stay as a recurring character to be my eye candy and a HOT love interest for Marcia Gay Harden's character.  She probably needs some good lovin'. 

Weakest character/actor for me is the lesbian doctor.  She is gorgeous, but a little too wide-eyed for me in the acting.

Looks like they are trying to set up a love triangle with Krista, Neal, and the other dark-haired guy.  Hmm.

And I liked how Reggie (?)  ... why am I so bad with character names?!?  said to Neal, "You are a good surgeon.  What are you doing down here?"

Funny how Mama pointed out to Marcia Gay Harden that she seems to be causing the Code Blacks.

• Love 3

Funny how Mama pointed out to Marcia Gay Harden that she seems to be causing the Code Blacks.

Even funnier how a hospital that runs out of resources 300 times a year has resources to install a stupid, automated, electronic "Code Black" sign.

• Love 2

Me too.  It is ridiculous at how happy I am to have a new show to love.  How is it doing in the ratings?

1.2, up from last week. 6.44 millions viewers against the 6.45 millions for Chicago PD, but skewing older and it's a problem. Likely to be cancelled according to TVbythenumbers, although it does better than The Good Wife and NCIS: LA.

CPD sucks this season, imo, so I hope that more people will sample Code Black and will get hooked.

Edited by Happy Harpy

My one hesitation about this show is that an awful lot of the leads seems to have to have a tragedy in the background or unfolding currently.  Yes, it's TV, but it seems a bit over the top. 

Nonetheless, I am loving it, but I'm almost afraid to say so because anything new that I get invested in seems to get canceled.  There was an article yesterday I read saying that the networks are giving new fall shows more time this year, so I'm hopeful.  When tired old shows that have run out of gas are renewed and good new ones get canned, I just have to shake my head.  And then there are the terrible new shows that do get renewed (CSI Cyber - I bet it causes brain rot). 

Anyway, I will love this one as long as it's on.  It's getting better week by week, and I'm really pulling for it to continue. 

• Love 2

I agree--the show is getting stronger every week and I really hope it continues because I'm really enjoying it. 

I ended up hating Grey's Anatomy and ER because medicine took a backseat to high school drama,

That's why my husband and I stopped watching ER (we never watched Grey's Anatomy) and I'm really hoping that if show doesn't get canceled that it doesn't happen with this one. 

I'm kind of used to the mama/papa thing, so it doesn't bother me--I barely hear it anymore. 

What an eerie coincidence that next week's episode is airing so soon after what happened in Oklahoma (and somewhere else on Halloween night, too, I think).  Something similar happened here a number of years ago--it was awful.

Edited by Shannon L.

They are doing a good first season job of telling each lead's story bit by bit, the medicine at least seems complex, compelling, and realistically chaotic, and -- as someone posted last episode, Raza J is smokin' hot. :-).

There might have been other but I believe that is me, he is all kinds of yum! I do like the blend of trauma scenes with the character development as well, it is pretty balanced.  It never fails to make me boo-hoo at least once per episode which is good, at least we are feeling the characters and story lines. To me this show is getting better each week, I am sticking around.

• Love 1

This was cliche upon cliche upon cliche. Definitely didn't care for this episode, the strength is definitely the individual relationships as some of the medical stuff is just tired tropes at this point.

I must be incredibly hard-hearted. I do like a lot of things on the show, but i can't say it's hit me in the feels yet.

I like it, but I'm certainly not reaching for the tissues either.

• Love 2

I thought this episode was weaker than 1.05. It's also becoming a little predictable that the MGH-character reveals a small, heart-breakening bit about her familiy's episode each week. Meh.

I agree that lesbian Doc is little too eager and wide-eyed to be credible. But she's stunningly beautiful so I don't mind looking at her. It's just that she lacks substance and dimension. I hope that they keep her gay and not make her being into guys at some point.

Regarding that Mama/Papa-thing: I'm not sure, but couldn't it be because the Mama-guy is caring and MGH is the one who gives tough love and is generally more strict? It does comes off as rather forced but that's how I understand it.

Kevin Dunn is blessed with having the best one-liners.

Anyway, I do have minor complaints but I also really love this show. All the characters are great, all of them are flawed. And not just in a charming she's-the-best-damn-doctor-in-her-field-but-cannot-hold-a-normal-conversation-hahaha-way but they clearly still need need to learn. None of them is a kind of whiz kid. After years of watching Grey's Anatomy and having grown up with Emergency Room it's great to go back to the roots. And be spared of endless, self-centered monologues with the newest singer/songwriter whining in the background.

• Love 2

This wasn't one of the best episodes but it was ok.  It went back to being a little too frenetic for my taste.

And how many times do we have to hear references to the young doc being a lesbian?  It's no big deal.  I agree she's too eager and wide-eyed to be credible and I'd be nervous as hell if she were my doctor. 

• Love 1

1.2, up from last week. 6.44 millions viewers against the 6.45 millions for Chicago PD, but skewing older and it's a problem. Likely to be cancelled according to TVbythenumbers, although it does better than The Good Wife and NCIS: LA.

CPD sucks this season, imo, so I hope that more people will sample Code Black and will get hooked.

You got your wish (a little bit of it anyway) - at least 2 more people are now hooked.  My husband and I have recently started watching during the winter break for our regular shows, and we will continue to watch once the networks go back to broadcasting new episodes again.  

My one hesitation about this show is that an awful lot of the leads seems to have to have a tragedy in the background or unfolding currently.  Yes, it's TV, but it seems a bit over the top. 

The one thing that is bugging me a bit is that every episode has a heart-tugging story about a parent and child - The father dealing with the gay son committing suicide, the rebar guy who says he can't die because he needs to make up with his daughter who finally contacts him at the end of the episode, the guy who gets drunk because his daughter died on her wedding day, the step father who needs to survive because of his special needs step daughter, the kidnapped woman who set a fire so that her son would go to the emergency room. One story started off as between two brothers, but eventually it was more about the mother grieving for her son who died and forgiving the other drunk driver son.  Another story could have been entirely about a husband and wife, but they were Neal's parents, so the parent-child relationship was front and center.  I realize that two of the doctors have lost children and that experience shaped a lot of the characters' actions and reactions, but not every episode has to have a gut wrenching story about a parent and child. 

They have had other stories besides the parent - child ones, so it is not like they are incapable of doing it.  I have five more episodes until I am caught up and hope that one of them has no parent child relationships - only co-workers or best friends or romantic partners or singletons (like the pacemaker kid this time).  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1

You got your wish (a little bit of it anyway) - at least 2 more people are now hooked.  My husband and I have recently started watching during the winter break for our regular shows, and we will continue to watch once the networks go back to broadcasting new episodes again.  

Cool :) And the show is now a toss-up for renewal or cancellation, so I'm crossing my fingers with a bit more hope.