Type keyword(s) to search

Veterinary And Animal Rescue Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, 2727 said:

@SunnyBeBe, the explanation about the zebras was pretty vague. The females decide if they're receptive to mating and the male wasn't forceful enough, or something.

Bala the baby elephant at Chester Zoo who died of the herpes virus nearly did me in. It can't be good to cry that much. Sadly, I read that

Reveal hidden contents

her playmate Hari later died of the disease.

e.JPG

That broke my heart.  I had no idea the virus was so virulent and so deadly to elephants.  I do hope they find some sort of treatment or cure before the population is further decimated.  :-(

• Love 3

That Boni Vet show had an amusing case recently.  This dog got bit TWICE by ticks that put him near death.  The ticks caused him paralysis in his throat and he had to go on life support to survive! I've never heard of it at all, but, this dog got severely sick twice with this condition.  Odd. Thank goodness, he survived. 

• Love 1
On 8/13/2018 at 6:24 PM, walnutqueen said:

That broke my heart.  I had no idea the virus was so virulent and so deadly to elephants.  I do hope they find some sort of treatment or cure before the population is further decimated.  :-(

I could totally be remembering wrong (I'm not known for my memory), but I think they dealt with this on The Zoo. I think they caught it early with the elephant there and were treating it. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:
On 8/13/2018 at 6:24 PM, walnutqueen said:

I could totally be remembering wrong (I'm not known for my memory), but I think they dealt with this on The Zoo. I think they caught it early with the elephant there and were treating it. 

The disease the Bronx Zoo monitors and treats with the elephants is tuberculosis, not herpes.  I believe both populations are Asian elephants. On the Zoo, they stated the TB could be passed from animal to human but they didn't say anything about the nature of the herpes virus at Chester Zoo.

• Love 3

Did anyone watch the new Scaled show on Animal Planet? It's about building enclosures for reptiles and amphibians, but it puts more focus on the animals than Tanked* or similar shows. The opening credits/shots of various reptiles are awesome and I even liked the font style that looks like 3D snake skin. The people who work at the shop aren't annoying yet.

* My favorite part of Tanked was them putting the fish in the new tanks and describing them. I say "was" because I gave up on it when the "personalities" (and wives) overtook the show.

• Love 3

Damn, I forgot about Scaled, it looks like it could be good.

Got my One Pass set for next week though (ugh, no repeats of ep 1 this week at all).

And yeah, Tanked USED to be great...but then they introduced all the fake scripted crap (like something breaking EVERY episode or the "pranks") and it really ruined the show...

• Love 3

Ok..Watched Secrets of the Zoo last night...Chester England

The black rhino named Kitani (I believe was her name):

Heartbreaking to see her depressed and grieving for her dead calf.

They introduced her to a male in last night's episode.

I just googled to see if she recently had a calf

There was a black rhino birth...apparently on 08/02/18..the mom's name is Malindi,

I guess I need to know that Kitani is ok  :(

Baby rhinos with their outsized hooves are just the cutest! Spoiler about them.

I wondered if it would have helped Kitani if the keepers had put the dead calf back in the enclosure with her? I'm sure I'm overly anthropomorphizing, but maybe knowing the baby was dead would have at least given Kitani an answer.

It's not uncommon for rhinos to kill each other during mating? Yeesh. Seems bad from an evolutionary perspective if nothing else.

The keepers not knowing their orangutan was pregnant made me laugh. I thought when the guy said he came to work and saw blood it was going to be something bad. It's reassuring that the animals apparently feel so secure in their environment that they may have babies more frequently than they would in the wild.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, artisto said:

Ok..Watched Secrets of the Zoo last night...Chester England

Slight correction:

The Secret Life of the Zoo - Animal Planet - Chester Zoo

Secrets of the Zoo - Nat Geo Wild - Columbus Zoo

I get the two mixed up all the time.  You'd think they could come up with show titles that weren't nearly identical; but then, they are on different channels, so I'll cut them some slack.  ;-)

Also, I agree with everyone about the new show Scaled (and the ridiculous antics on Tanked, which I also stopped watching).  I just wish these shows would address the issues surrounding exotics and how they're collected in the wild.  I'd feel a lot more enthusiastic about these awesome tanks & terrariums if I knew that conscientious and "eco-friendly" methods were being followed.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Jenkins said:

And yeah, Tanked USED to be great...but then they introduced all the fake scripted crap (like something breaking EVERY episode or the "pranks") and it really ruined the show...

Wow, you mean there was a time when Tanked was worth watching? I must have missed it in its early days.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Slight correction:

The Secret Life of the Zoo - Animal Planet - Chester Zoo

Secrets of the Zoo - Nat Geo Wild - Columbus Zoo

Thanks buddy!!

I just wish these shows would address the issues surrounding exotics and how they're collected in the wild. 

Exactly

I'm not interested in seeing the containers they make to put the animals in.

I too want to see the frogs...snakes...lizards and their antics.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:09 AM, 2727 said:

Baby rhinos with their outsized hooves are just the cutest! Spoiler about them.

Excerpted from the spoiler:

"Incredible news from our rhino house...

One week, TWO births and a huge boost to the species!

Congrats new mums Kitani & Zuri ??❤️️ pic.twitter.com/AHn7W4TNWG

— Chester Zoo (@chesterzoo) June 29, 2017"

Wasn't the calf born on June 2017 the one that died? 

If this is a subsequent calf...then I'm overjoyed for Kitani.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:09 AM, 2727 said:

I wondered if it would have helped Kitani if the keepers had put the dead calf back in the enclosure with her?

Yes..I believe it would.

I heard/read a theory that if you have multiple pets and one of them dies..

you should show them the dead pet.  It seems to make sense.

Although, the orca that carried her dead baby wasn't appeased with just looking at it.  :(

Edited by artisto

Gosh, I have almost as much love for the zookeepers as I do for the animals in their care.  They have so much love and affection for the animals they tend - no matter what species.  Sure, I get teary-eyed right along with them when they talk about saving a cute baby or losing a beautiful mammal or bird; but what surprised me is how much they can make me feel for some reptile or amphibian.  First it was the lady who cried over her rat snake; then it was the guy who mourned the loss of a frog.  I bawled like a baby the other night when he got all teary and overwhelmed with emotion over that loss.

Come to think of it, long ago when my niece was little she talked me into buying her a couple of tiny aquatic froggies, and of course the care & feeding of same were left to me, since her Mum didn't want them at her place.  The only thing they'd eat was little worms, so I dutifully set up my own "worm farm", and patiently dangled little worms in front of their kinda stupid faces.  Those little suckers lived for YEARS, and much as I thought they were a pain in the ass, I truly mourned their individual passings, and remember them fondly to this day.  :~)

• Love 8

@walnutqueen

Just when I brace myself because I know that the frog story of yours will make me misty eyed; I see  this:

their kinda stupid faces. 

Yes, I laughed.

Yesterday's episode at the Columbus zoo was the first time I maybe didn't want to be one of the keepers, because the hours a day it takes to round up the various herds on the open land to feed them, and then the stubborn ostriches refusing to go in their winter barn ... gah! The keepers must have a really high tolerance for frustration. I didn't fully understand why the animals had to be moved to give them the morning meal, and then herded back out every day. Even a herd of cows will come running when they hear food being poured into their trough. The different noises used to call specific animals was fun.

The Bronx Zoo people have said they no longer allow keepers in the enclosure with their elephants but Columbus still does. Bronx is phasing out their program and only have Happy left, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I started looking up ratings for zoos in the U.S. to see which are considered the best by the AZA or similar, but only found travel site rankings. Columbus wasn't included on the several that I checked but Bronx was mentioned.

I enjoy the way the staff gets exasperated with Jack Hanna because I feel the same way about him. They do it fondly though, which is the difference.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, artisto said:

@walnutqueen

Just when I brace myself because I know that the frog story of yours will make me misty eyed; I see  this:

Yes, I laughed.

Those little froggies were cute, but seemed too dumb to stay alive.  They refused to find ANY food, and it was only by dangling a tiny worm at the end of a hemostat right in front of their noses for long periods of time (I practically had to stuff the worms into their mouths) that I was able to get them to eat at all.  Hence, the "kinda stupid faces" remark.  I'm glad you can appreciate my sometimes dark humor!  ;-)

3 hours ago, 2727 said:

I didn't fully understand why the animals had to be moved to give them the morning meal, and then herded back out every day.

Frustrating, yes.  But I assumed it was because the keepers have to keep track of what and how much each animal eats, which is almost impossible to do out in the field.  Also, it probably gives the keepers a chance to check out the animals closely for any signs of illness or injury.  Just spitballin' here ...

• Love 2

It was nice to see that at the Chester Zoo in England, the little male zebra, who the ladies had banished from their enclosure, somehow made it back and bred with them.  Now with more little zebras, things seem just fine. I wonder with the breeding issues they have in zoos, it's due to the female not having a few to pick from.  It's like, they just get one option and that's it. lol  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I'm glad you can appreciate my sometimes dark humor!  ;-)

Laughed again

Comedy relief

Don't change

images.jpg.100c06eae3100857e798376322e9f440.jpg

2 hours ago, artisto said:

Laughed again

Comedy relief

Don't change

images.jpg.100c06eae3100857e798376322e9f440.jpg

I couldn't change if I tried.  Speaking of change : How many psychologists does it take to change a lightbulb?  Only one, but the lightbulb really has to want to change.  :-D

My black humor has landed me in hot water many times - even with my fellow animal lovers.  Last year I was on a Small Talk thread and responded about "that fucking Rainbow Bridge letter" and how I'd been the recipient thereof too many times.  Then I said "When the cat cremation place gives you a frequent flyer discount, come sit by me".  Some folks were (justifiably) quite offended.  They didn't understand that I'd recently lost my Mum and my most beloved friendly feral within 2 weeks of each other, and that was the SIXTH Rainbow Bridge letter I'd received in less than 7 years.  It was just my way of dealing with unbearable loss, and fighting back buckets of tears & snot.  The people who knew me well got it.

So, yeah, I ugly-cry during all these animal shows, and go through reams of TP or paper towels ('cause I couldn't afford all that Kleenex).  Then I try to find something uplifting or funny to stave off the inevitable puffy eyelids and sinus headache.  ;-)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I couldn't change if I tried.  Speaking of change : How many psychologists does it take to change a lightbulb?  Only one, but the lightbulb really has to want to change.  :-D

The way I heard it was “One, but it takes a long time and the light bulb has to want to change.”(The other version went “None, it’ll change when it’s ready.”)

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, smittykins said:

The way I heard it was “One, but it takes a long time and the light bulb has to want to change.”(The other version went “None, it’ll change when it’s ready.”)

HEE!  I just lurve corny jokes.

Since it's kinda sorta zoo/animal related, I'll re-post just one of my favorites here (from the Jokes thread) :

On 7/9/2017 at 7:36 PM, walnutqueen said:

You are riding a beautiful white horse. 
On your left side is a drop off. 
On your right side are several ostriches being chased by a lion. 
In front of you are four large gazelles that won't get out of your way and you can't seem to overtake them. 
Behind you is a stampede of horses. 
What must you do to get out of this highly dangerous situation? 

ANSWER:

Spoiler

* Get your drunk ass off the merry-go-round. *

• Love 6

My favorite part of Scaled is learning so much about all the species they work with.  Even though I'm not a reptile person, I appreciate the knowledge that's imparted during the show.  Warm & fuzzy critters seem to get all the glory, but these Zoo shows and something like Scaled serve to remind us that there's a whole world of animals that are every bit as fascinating (and somehow as enchantingly adorable) as the mammals we all know and love.

Just watched Wolves and Warriors, and I floved it. In my experience, there's nothing like an animal in need to take you out of your own pain & emotional damage.  And I really liked that veterinarian with the French accent.  :-)

• Love 3

I actually like insects and reptiles.  I was so lucky that as a little girl my grandmother taught me to appreciate nature. We'd walk through the fields, park, yard, and explore for frogs, turtles, praying mantis, grass hoppers, lizards etc. I had no fear in touching them.   I'm so happy that I never developed a phobia of things like many have.  If there's a bug, insect, etc in the building, they call me to remove it.  I still cherish all little creatures. 

• Love 5

Scaled was an interesting program - I wish they would give an indication as to the type of finances (& hours) needed to house, feed, get medical care of all those exotics - the woman profiled last week had a huge number of enclosures & wanted an even bigger one for her favorite critter - & then the basic question of how often do these enclosures need to be cleaned?

• Love 5

I was curious about the woman with the basement o' reptiles, too. She mentioned that feeding them costs more than her mortgage, so it's not a small investment. Her basement was extremely well organized and tidy (especially compared to the family who had a slapdash set of enclosures in their living room) but my guess is that it takes at least a couple hours a day to feed the animals and clean/drain their enclosures. She looked young to be a married homeowner (or perhaps renter) in the first place, but add in the cost of buying and maintaining exotic reptiles, and I did wonder about her finances.

As far as the builds go, I didn't really like hers; the "sci fi" look wasn't my taste. I thought the one from last week that was in the new reptile shed was well done. LED lightning!

The woman who asked for a Disney theme for her three snakes ... now that enclosure was straight up ugly (to me), and the materials looked a little cheap.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

Wolves and Warriors is killing me. That story about the sanctuary caught in the CA fire... I know they SAID all the animals were safe, but I was so traumatized by that point in the episode that I didn't believe it.

That was horrific.  I was impressed that the "Warriors" had so many resources & specialty cages available for the evacuation of so many animals, and that they were ready to respond to a second emergency evacuation at another animal sanctuary so soon after the first.  It was sweet to see the veterans caring for and bonding with all those animals, too - from primates to pigs.  "Siri, how do spider monkeys drink?"   :-)

28 minutes ago, RealityCheck said:

I saw an ad that a new season for Dr Oakley Yukon Vet premieres Saturday October 6, 2018 at 9PM.

Yes!

I've also seen a cryptic ad on Animal Planet about bringing khaki back, so I'm assuming we'll have another Zoo show coming.

• Love 2
On 9/6/2018 at 10:03 AM, 2727 said:

I was curious about the woman with the basement o' reptiles, too. She mentioned that feeding them costs more than her mortgage, so it's not a small investment. Her basement was extremely well organized and tidy (especially compared to the family who had a slapdash set of enclosures in their living room) but my guess is that it takes at least a couple hours a day to feed the animals and clean/drain their enclosures. She looked young to be a married homeowner (or perhaps renter) in the first place, but add in the cost of buying and maintaining exotic reptiles, and I did wonder about her finances.

As far as the builds go, I didn't really like hers; the "sci fi" look wasn't my taste. I thought the one from last week that was in the new reptile shed was well done. LED lightning!

The woman who asked for a Disney theme for her three snakes ... now that enclosure was straight up ugly (to me), and the materials looked a little cheap.

I saw Wolves and Warriors.  It's okay.  I noticed a couple of things though. I'll post about them later.  Just glad they were able to save the animals.  Man, those CA fires are fierce.  I don't think I could live there.

Scaled was pretty good. I only saw the episode about the tattoo shop.  The albino pythons were beautiful.  

I think people who really get into their exotic pets tend to spend a lot....not matter what. Do you recall the show that used to come on Animal Planet about owners of dangerous animals or reptiles who got too close and were killed by their beloved pets?  I really miss that show. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Do you recall the show that used to come on Animal Planet about owners of dangerous animals or reptiles who got too close and were killed by their beloved pets?  I really miss that show. 

Fatal Attractions.

• Love 1
On 8/25/2018 at 2:23 PM, 2727 said:

* My favorite part of Tanked was them putting the fish in the new tanks and describing them. I say "was" because I gave up on it when the "personalities" (and wives) overtook the show.

My adult (okay...middle-aged) son and I commented on this just last night.  We want to see the completed projects on TANKED and SCALED...not "shenanigans."  It took only one "Scaled" episode to determine it was just another "Tanked."   Two more viewers down the drain, or tank, or swamp............

• Love 1

Wolves and Warriors : I love that they allow the wolves/hybrids to decide if they want human or animal contact, and with whom.  The veterans/caretakers who are chosen are allowed to bond with the animals - on the animal's terms.  That must be so rewarding for them both.  Even though they are destined to spend their lives in captivity (because of human hubris), the wolves have some semblance of autonomy, and the freedom to make choices - exactly the concept those veterans were fighting for.  The story of Apache (and his Lady Love, Sadira) broke my heart and warmed it at the same time.  The Big Bad Wolf who may well have been euthanized turned into a mush-puppy, simply by removing a painful tooth, neutering, and taking him out of a 10x10 concrete cage for the first time in SEVEN YEARS.   Oh, and those Saudi princes can go fuck themselves.  I've seen the exotic animals they use and abuse - it is a shameful secret that needs to be exposed (see Viceland for an episode about this very subject).

Pupparazzi was an unexpected delight.  It was such a feel-good high to see happy dogs being photographed to bring out the best in them.  The snow-dog segments had me grinning ear-to-ear.   I like the marriage of professional dog photography with helping shelters and rescues highlight the animals that need to be homed - especially the "problem" dogs.  It was cool to see the National Mill Dog Rescue in Colorado Springs (same place Dr. Jeff helped out) again - what a worthy cause.  That poor little unsocialized mill dog, Poindexter, brought more than one tear to my eye, and his portrait was spectacular.  Bringing the pet project of showing pitbulls in a super-hero light was just an added bonus; that sweet elementary-school therapy dog, Chance , gave me the feels.

My heart soars like an eagle ...

• Love 4

All-New Series "Amanda to the Rescue" Premieres On Animal Planet October 28 At 9PM ET/PT.

Amanda Giese treats the seemingly hopeless animals in her Washington state home, primarily focusing on dogs that others have given up on.  Alongside Amanda are her two kids, Jade and Beast, and her partner Gary.

Throughout the season, Amanda will launch large scale rescue missions across the country to save dozens of animals with major medical or special needs, from being euthanized.

Amanda’s goal and the mission of her foundation, Panda Paws Rescue, is to end the homelessness, abuse and neglect of all animals.

• Love 4

Thanks for the heads-up, @RealityCheck. I'm sure it's intended to be uplifting but I'm afraid it will just depress me.

I can't imagine anyone who watches Animal Planet will have missed the promos, but Crikey! It's The Irwins is coming on October 28 at 8pm:

"Lace up your boots because you’re about to embark on the journey of a lifetime with the family that’s bringing khaki back! The Irwins – Terri, Bindi and Robert – return to Animal Planet in a new series that gives audiences an all-access, front row seat to experience the sights and sounds of their thrilling wildlife adventures around the globe and the amazing animals that continue to inspire their conservation efforts. From running Australia’s largest family-owned zoo, Australia Zoo in Queensland, to crisscrossing the world protecting and celebrating the most wondrous animals on the planet, The Irwins work thoughtfully and tirelessly to carry on Steve’s mission to bring people closer to animals and ignite the connection that will ensure an abundance of wildlife for generations to come."

• Love 3

Does anyone have any idea what the problem was between Steve's wife and his father? Things went way downhill after his death and from what I've read, it seems the children have no relationship with their fraternal grandfather.  The way Terri has always been so ecstatic over Steve, made me wonder why she couldn't stand his dad..........I found this article.  So, if this is true, it was over how the Zoo's marketing was handled.  Sad that they didn't patch it up. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/mar/03/australia

The grandfather wanted to see the grandkids again.  I wonder if that has happened. 

https://au.be.yahoo.com/steve-irwins-dad-wants-see-bindi-bob-dies-041816123.html

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone have any idea what the problem was between Steve's wife and his father? Things went way downhill after his death and from what I've read, it seems the children have no relationship with their fraternal grandfather.  The way Terri has always been so ecstatic over Steve, made me wonder why she couldn't stand his dad..........I found this article.  So, if this is true, it was over how the Zoo's marketing was handled.  Sad that they didn't patch it up. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/mar/03/australia

The grandfather wanted to see the grandkids again.  I wonder if that has happened. 

https://au.be.yahoo.com/steve-irwins-dad-wants-see-bindi-bob-dies-041816123.html

I haven't a clue, but I always suspected Terri was a famewhore ...

• Love 3
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I haven't a clue, but I always suspected Terri was a famewhore ...

Interesting.  I just think that grandparents are so important and if you have them alive, they are such a wonderful gift to the children.  To stay estranged for years, from the parent of your beloved husband, over some kind of business matter seems extremely petty and misguided. And the children suffer the most, though, it sounds like grandpa Irwin was hurting over the estrangement as well.   It makes me not like her. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just think that grandparents are so important and if you have them alive, they are such a wonderful gift to the children

Not always.  Just sayin' I wish someone had protected me from my grandmother ... and her gifts.

ETA - and still no LURVE for Pupparrazzi?  Such a feel-good show!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2

Is anyone else remembering some of the Steve Irwin criticisms about his kids being too involved with dangerous animals when Bindi talks about jumping on a crocodile's head at 8 years old, on the commercials for the new show?   Isn't Irwin the one who had his baby son in his arms while tossing grocery store chickens to the giant crocodile at feeding time?    One slip and bye-bye.    I've never thought Terry was all that nice, but it will be interesting to see people pop up on here that know her in real life.   

• Love 3
On 9/30/2018 at 3:04 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Is anyone else remembering some of the Steve Irwin criticisms about his kids being too involved with dangerous animals when Bindi talks about jumping on a crocodile's head at 8 years old, on the commercials for the new show?   Isn't Irwin the one who had his baby son in his arms while tossing grocery store chickens to the giant crocodile at feeding time?    One slip and bye-bye.    I've never thought Terry was all that nice, but it will be interesting to see people pop up on here that know her in real life.   

Yes, I recall the criticisms.  And, if they start showing that old footage, they may get a not so warm response.  It was quite fool hearty, imo.  And, even though, I did like Steve a lot, I thought that at one in his career that he taunted wild animals, especially dangerous snakes.  I just thought that he toyed with them too long, got them riled up and it wasn't necessary.  Well, except for riveting footage.  And, then, he died due to beimg too close to a wild animal (stingray).....it was so odd.  May he rest in peace. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

Terry Irwin seemed so cold when she appeared on the original show. I just chalked it up to her being reserved and perhaps an introvert. But I did wonder if she was the one with business smarts, pushing for all of the exposure. Didn't Steve's father create the family's animal business originally? If so, I hope he has not been pushed out. Or maybe there were shenanigans with Steve's estate.

I'll watch the show with reservations, because I worry the new show will be Hollywood-ized.

I adore Dr. Oakley. I like how accomplished she is, while apparently being very kind. I secretly yearn to be her (except for the Alaska winter part).

I still struggle with some of the traditional methods for treating farm/factory animals. They suffer so and not all vets are enthusiastic about gentle treatment and pain medication for these creatures who are economic products.

Trust military folks to know how to organize a rescue! I hope we see more women on Wolves and Warriors.

East Coasters, there is a wolf sanctuary near Lititz PA. https://wolfsanctuarypa.org/

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I still struggle with some of the traditional methods for treating farm/factory animals. They suffer so and not all vets are enthusiastic about gentle treatment and pain medication for these creatures who are economic products.

I'm not saying one practice is better or worse, but I can't help but compare Dr. Oakley's methods of castrating a farm animal -- sterile field and instruments, gown and gloves, IV line, sedatives, etc. -- with Dr. Pol, who does none of that. It did get me wondering whether or not these TV vets modify or are very careful about their techniques because they know they'll be scrutinized by the public, and perhaps even their vet boards.

Dr. Oakley has visited that man who had the wolverine a few times before, and he is a character. I'd put his picture on the dictionary entry for "lives for animals." If there were such a thing.

Why did Dr. Oakley feel like she wasn't able to do a C-section on that Yorkie? I may have missed the explanation, but she ended up doing it anyway. (What I also missed was the vets at Planned Pethood forcing the owner to get her dog spayed. "New Year's accident with my male dog! Giggle, giggle." Sigh.)

Edited by 2727
  • Love 4

I agree about Dr. Pol. Sometimes I see him provide pain relief for farm animals, other times not. He's more compassionate with horses, whom he loves.

It could be a function of editing sometimes, because I'm not sure Dr. Brenda and Dr. Emily always give pain meds to farm animals either. In my experience, many farmers and ranchers don't like to pay for it.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3

In my experience, a lot of farmers do have painkillers, like banamine on hand, and give them before the vets get there.    I've been around a lot of horses, and many times for colic or other emergencies the banamine or other sedatives are on board by the time the vet arrives.    Depending on distance, and the availability of the vet, equine vets can take a long time to arrive.    One reason I've read about Dr. Pol working into his 70's, and having no intention of retiring, is there is a shortage of large animal vets.    It's only recently that there have been four vets in the practice.    I think that's why there are the statements at the beginning of each show, where it says that all procedures and treatments aren't shown.      

Texas Tech (at least that's the one I've heard about) is supposed to be starting a vet school that will concentrate on large animal medicine.     Many other vet schools there are large animal portions of training, but it's not emphasized the way it will be there.   

I'm watching Animal Planet, and if I see one more Crikey! It's the Irwins commercial I'm going to scream.      Yes, Bob Irwin and his wife founded the zoo under another name in 1970 or about there.     After Steve died, Bob left the zoo about two years later, because he disagreed about the course the zoo was taking, and what was happening with fund raising.       Robert (the son) wasn't even three when his father died, and Steve holding his son at a month old, while feeding raw chickens to a 13 foot crocodile created a hideous uproar, and legislation there says that no one under 18 can be within a certain number of feet of a crocodile.      The grandfather, Bob, apparently has no association with the zoo, and is estranged from the family.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

In my experience, a lot of farmers do have painkillers, like banamine on hand, and give them before the vets get there.

Thanks for that insight CrazyinAlabama.

Last night I did some Googling on Dr. Pol and it appears he has been disciplined by the Michigan vet board, and also there are some harsh and specific criticisms posted in various blogs, including by at least one country vet.