Type keyword(s) to search

Veterinary And Animal Rescue Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

On 6/13/2016 at 3:44 PM, lordonia said:

In the article I read about how women now make up the majority of vets, one said when she first started in the 70s, there were farmers who didn't allow her in the barn for calvings or the like, saying it wasn't proper for a woman to see those things.

Gotta love men's thinking. Who did those farmers think birthed human babies? The men used to be kept out of the labor process. 

So sad about Dr. Jeff. I haven't watched as many episodes as so many of you, as I happened to catch sad ones with animals and was scared away a bit. But he and all of these vets are great, so definitely sad to hear. Hopefully his treatment will be successful.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

So sad about Dr. Jeff. I haven't watched as many episodes as so many of you, as I happened to catch sad ones with animals and was scared away a bit. But he and all of these vets are great, so definitely sad to hear. Hopefully his treatment will be successful.

Jeff said on Saturday's episode that he was responding well to treatment and had no sign of tumors, so hopefully it'll be good news for him going forward. These shows were probably filmed several months ago and I assume we would have heard if he'd taken a turn for the worse.

I'm loving the new building and trailer! If I heard him right, Jeff said they would be able to lower their fees in the new facility, although I'm not sure how that makes financial sense.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3
(edited)

I hope Dr. Jeff makes a full and complete recovery. I feel like a terrible person, I don't watch his show very often so when I saw a commercial and saw Dr Jeff with his bald head my first thought was how much better he looked without his hair.  I feel bad, I didn't know he was sick.  I'm happy to hear he's responding to treatment.  I have a hard time watching the vet shows, almost all of my many pets are rescues that nobody else wanted so I've seen so many animals in distress, I have a hard time watching them on TV but when I read your comments here I feel like I'm missing out.   I don't know where I can post this but you are animal lovers so I will do it here. I am sorry for being off topic but I'm so happy, I have goats!!  I "rented" one from a neighbor to clean a section of my property of some brush. I loved him so much that I kept him and got 2 more.  They are the best darn gardners I've ever had and so, so funny to watch, they bicker like old people so I named them Ethel, Walter and Martha.  My cousins and I built them a house and enclosures out of an old shed I have. I have a lot of big sheds here that held building supplies when I was building the house.  I'm putting them to goo use now!   I will put up some pictures of them when I have time. Im getting quite the little farm!!

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 7

Yup, I grew up next to a farm and they would let their goats "mow" our yard (we had about a half acre of weeds, it was So Cal, so not much more than weeds grow).

I love farm animals, not even the smell bothers me. We had cows, chickens, goats and sometimes lamb living next to us.

And yeah, it looks like Dr Jeff is going to make a full recovery.

I was surprised to learn that this last episode was the season finale of Dr Jeff. That was a QUICK season!

• Love 4

@Jenkins,  I'm getting chickens next! I have two more sheds here and I have one of them in mind for my chicken coop.  I love farm animals too. I love hearing the goats outside. I would love to have a pig someday. 

I'm happy to hear that Dr Jeff is going to be OK. 

• Love 3

Shelly is great!  and broadcasts 24/7 via livestream and has some of the best camera angles.  I'm spoiled for other livestreams.

In addition to the FB page, there are these links, too.  

Livestream link

TinyKittens website

TinyTuxies FB page (for the Miracle Kitten, Cassidy, and his adopted siblings)

TinyTapeworms FB page, for those interested in the some of the medical stuff.  Yes, it can be gross, she shows actual tapeworms, and spays, and injuries, etc.

TinyKittens is also on Twitter and Instagram.

• Love 2
(edited)

Who else was yelling at Dr. Dee's vet tech to check her parka pocket for the nebulizer? We saw her put it there!

The resident who brought in the pups to be taken back to Fairbanks said he thought the father was a Golden, with a joking suggestion that he maybe needed to be fixed. Well, what about spaying the guy's own dog, the mother? Maybe she was and we didn't see it, but the lackadaisical attitude some owners have about neutering their pets makes me shake my head. Like their own sexuality or macho/mothering instincts are somehow connected to their pets, which is gross to even to type.

I wish Dr. Dee well establishing a no-kill shelter in Fairbanks. She's for sure a business dynamo as well as a tireless vet.

The new vet at Dr. Pol's looks really familiar to me, like she was the tech on some other show?

I just saw an article about a second investigation of Dr. Pol which I hadn't heard about. Some random vet in another state watched the show and took exception to treatment provided by Dr. Pol, including that he did not wear a sterile gown during surgery. He was found guilty of negligence and incompetence by Michigan Vet board, fined $500 put on probation, and required to attend continuing education courses. That ruling was later overturned on appeal, with the court stating the original sanctions were "arbitrary and capricious."

"In the appeals court’s decision, the judges seem perplexed that Pol was reprimanded when the dog in question survived and its owners were happy with its care. They found that the sanctions imposed by the regulatory board were not supported by the evidence given."

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

The resident who brought in the pups to be taken back to Fairbanks said he thought the father was a Golden, with a joking suggestion that he maybe needed to be fixed. Well, what about spaying the guy's own dog, the mother? Maybe she was and we didn't see it, but the lackadaisical attitude some owners have about neutering their pets makes me shake my head. Like their own sexuality or macho/mothering instincts are somehow connected to their pets, which is gross to even to type.

I wish Dr. Dee well establishing a no-kill shelter in Fairbanks. She's for sure a business dynamo as well as a tireless vet.

Well, I lost the whole day.  I meant to just drop in and see what kind of babies were on Too Cute! and then I'd never seen My Cat From Hell, with the banger dude smacking all those clueless owners around--fun.  But the big score was Dr. Dee, Alaska Vet.  So interesting!

I finally tracked you all down to this thread, but I don't think I want to follow half a dozen standard vet practice shows, (particularly those with emphasis on home life.)  Animals in pain make me sad and depressed.  But the vet stories that either include, or are based on, the difficulty of functioning in Alaska puts this at the top of my DVR list. 

It did seem a little strange to feature those two little cutie pie puppies getting an airplane ride back for adoption.  I think it's a pretty safe bet that those remote airplane-accessible villages are probably overrun with strays and countless unwanted litters of puppies.  Unless. . .predators?  Temperature?  Don't tell me.  More teeny tiny horses and beloved piggies, please.

Okay by me to focus on the upbeat.  My heart bled for the (unseen) woman who had to go into nursing care and be parted from her dog.  Her family couldn't get rid of her aging pet fast enough.  REALLY rare, super-happy ending to find another old lady to love him.  Thank you, show.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, candall said:

But the big score was Dr. Dee, Alaska Vet.  So interesting!

Have you see Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet, on Nat Geo Wild? She treats wild animals at a couple of sanctuaries, makes large animal house calls and has a small animal practice. She has a family and one of her daughters may ride with her sometimes, but the focus isn't really on her personal life. As with all the vet programs, there are some animals that don't have a good outcome.

Sad comment hidden --

Spoiler

the owner last week who felt it was his duty to put his beloved, terminal dog down so that she could die at home made me cry so hard.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

Have you see Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet, on Nat Geo Wild? She treats wild animals at a couple of sanctuaries, makes large animal house calls and has a small animal practice. She has a family and one of her daughters may ride with her sometimes, but the focus isn't really on her personal life. As with all the vet programs, there are some animals that don't have a good outcome.

Sad comment hidden --

Reveal hidden contents

the owner last week who felt it was his duty to put his beloved, terminal dog down so that she could die at home made me cry so hard.

Well, that has my name written all over it.  Thanks, lordonia!

(P.S.  I shy away from the sad stuff because the unwanted and abused are already in my day-to-day life.  It's just enough, you know?)

I appreciate the Hidden Content warning.  That was kind and I didn't read it.  I'll stick a [brutal] comment under cover myself, referring to the licker bottle post from the previous page.

Spoiler

I used to take in a lot of "retired," i.e. worn out, breeders from the puppymill auctions--still going on every weekend, btw.  Jeeves is exactly right about the hamster licker bottle setup.  (The cages aren't big enough for a dog AND a water bowl.)  Their unrinsed rotten teeth caused bone deterioration so their jawbones would break, and then they couldn't withstand the surgical repair because their health was so poor.  I did not have much of a survival rate, although there were the incredibly rewarding moments of setting a dog's feet down on grass for the first time.  They would try to hold up all four feet a once because the soft grass was freaky scary after lives of straddling wire cage bottoms.

The commercial breeder lobby is so rich and powerful, the state legislature protects them, but as word spreads about the conditions and legalized abuse, I hope there will finally be a revolution.  So that's why I added this, two seconds after begging off sad stories, myself.  Forgive me.

• Love 4
(edited)

Two new shows coming up!
Animal ER -- September 10 on Nat Geo Wild at 10 pm
Life at Vet U -- October 1 on Animal Planet at 10 pm

Kinda somewhat related -- The Million Dollar Duck is a documentary about the National Duck Stamp contest, airing on Animal Planet on 9/14 at 9 pm. It's very gentle and low-key but interesting.

This week's Dr. Dee featured Annabelle the dog who had knee surgery. The owner said he wanted to sleep overnight in the kennel room with her, then he built an electric elevator for the stairs in his house because she couldn't climb for several weeks. Ahem. First of all, it's not like the dog could operate the elevator lift by herself, so why not just carry her up and down the stairs? And secondly, I kind of had to agree with his wife that he probably liked the dog better than her!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

This is not a slam at Dr. Pol at all, but I had to wonder what Dr. K could have done for that hedgehog with the prolapsed rectum. They don't discuss fees very much on Pol. but maybe the owner's family couldn't have afforded extensive surgery and we didn't see that part.

I think I'm developing a crush on goats myself after watching Dr. Dee with hers.

• Love 1

Animal ER: All those herpes warts on the sea turtle were pretty horrifying. They didn't specifically show them removing the ones around his eyes, which I really wanted off. I really like this show overall; they're doing some very advanced procedures.

The owlets on Dr. Dee sent me over to spend some time with online owl videos. So cute.

• Love 2

The latest episode of Dr. Pol, with his dog that had cancer, was the first episode since season one that didn't have me yelling, "Shut up, Charles!" at the television. He drives me mad. The first season, he would ask questions of his dad so the rest of us knew what was going on. Now, he's constantly using the term "we" and explaining the procedures. He doesn't know; shut up and let your dad talk.

I don't enjoy any of the extended family scenes on any of these shows. It completely ruined Pawn Stars for me, in part because they are such bad actors. I could deal with the fact it wasn't real because I enjoyed hearing about the items, but they were all so stupid. On the vet shows, I like watching the animals, treatment of the animals, and can deal just fine with the pet owners' talking heads, but the extended family bore me and take up time I could be "awwww-ing" at an animal. All of the shows bring the families in though, so it must be something other people enjoy. 

While watching this episode, it dawned on me that Dr. Pol has three female veterinarians. The Animal ER show (I think) said that women now make up a large percentage of the field, but I didn't realize it. Dr. Pol is the only male in his office, then there are the three men in the animal hospital on Vet Life, but no women doctors, Dr. Jeff seemed to have a fair mix, then there are the two female Alaskan vets and the exotic animal vet and her newer vet are women. The Hawaiian veterinarian who passed away was male, as is Dr. Dee's partner. That seems like a pretty fair representation of the sexes, so it makes me wonder if there only being the three doctors of color in Vet Life is also a fair representation of the racial make up of the field. Animal ER is still too new to remember all the docs there, but I think the show about the veterinarian school was a pretty equal mix of sexes, but didn't have a lot of diversity. 

TL:DR = Shut up, Charles! and it's nice to see smart women on television, in a field that I didn't realize had so many. Especially when you see them working with the large animals.

• Love 2

I've thought about the vets on Dr. Pol before because all three women are pretty much like him in their pragmatic, no-fuss attitudes. Brenda of course has been there for years but even Emily and Elizabeth are the same. It probably takes a specific personality type to work in a large and small animal practice in the rural Midwest. The Pol vets are certainly a lot different from Dr. K and Dr. Thielen, who are so kissy-face with their patients.

But yeah, Charles can be annoying.

• Love 2

The gender split for veterinarians in this country is about 50/50, but women are increasingly represented in veterinary schools -- up to 80% of students. 

Veterinary medicine is still a blindingly white profession, though.  A BLS report from only a couple of years ago showed 97 percent of practicing veterinarians to be white.  Like women, non-whites are better represented in veterinary schools than in the workforce, yet they still comprise only something like ten percent of enrolled students.

It's why I'm very happy to have The Vet Life on the air, even though I don't care for the scenes at home (in that or any show; that one just happens to have more than the others I watch, so it stands out).  One of the vets said when he met his wife and introduced himself as a vet, she said she'd never met a black veterinarian in her life.  This is not uncommon, obviously.  It's so great to show them to a national audience.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Life at Vet U: Dang it, I knew they were going to drag out the Match Day results until next week!

Good luck to the two students who are preparing for a year of separation during their internships, but long distance relationship are hard, my dears. It's an inevitable drift. The equine student seems kind of nervous and uncertain for horses; they sense that anxious hesitancy more than most animals.

Nice to have Dr. Oakley and her dart guns back! She really does have the most troublesome patients in the wildlife preserves, either running away or trying to gore her. Those pronghorn sheep on the cliffs were so cute. But troublesome. And try getting them all in a pen next time, cheese. That was a lot of work for one danged ear tag.

• Love 3

I have searched high and low for the vet forums. Finally I searched by "Oakley" and landed here. Looking forward to reading through the pages when I have more time.

ETA: does anyone remember a short-lived TV show about a woman who ran a sanctuary in southern Alabama? She had red hair. I particularly remember a couple episodes where they showed her team having to move all of the animals to higher ground because of a hurricane. It was such a lot of work to accomplish in very little time. I think they eventually relocated the sanctuary to a better location.

I also watched a short-lived series where a woman in Mississippi rescued animals, mostly stray dogs. She would scoop them up from the side of a road, get them care, and then find homes for them, often putting a bunch of them onto a big rig and driving north to adoptive families.

Both of these shows caught my attention because I lived in both states, and the locals can be very cavalier about how they treat their animals. About 10 years ago I was home visiting family and spotted a stray injured dog out in the country. I discovered that none of the animal control places answered their phones on Sunday. I had to go through a sheriff's office to find an emergency clinic in a city and then drive the poor dog there.  The lack of services haunted me, but since then some rescue groups have been established.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3
On 10/2/2016 at 0:30 AM, lordonia said:

Life at Vet U: Dang it, I knew they were going to drag out the Match Day results until next week!

Good luck to the two students who are preparing for a year of separation during their internships, but long distance relationship are hard, my dears. It's an inevitable drift. The equine student seems kind of nervous and uncertain for horses; they sense that anxious hesitancy more than most animals.

Yes, I mean I appreciate that long-distance relationships are quite difficult and often don't survive, but with the way those two students were acting, you'd think they were going off to fight separate wars where they had about a 1% chance of surviving. The dramatics just made them seem very immature and silly. It's a year, my lord, you'd think it was a death sentence. I guess I'm just cold at heart, but I was hoping that the guy would've been sent across the country to Colorado, just because they were being so Romeo&Juliet about it all.

That one woman who didn't match had a voice-over monologue that came across as so egotistical, I rolled my eyes so hard my head started to pound. If that's how she came across when applying for match, it's no wonder she didn't get a match at any of her four choices.

I appreciate that the students depicted in Life at Vet U are studying hard towards a very worthwhile career doing truly good work, but so many of them seem really spoiled and unpleasant to me. And most of them have incredibly annoying voices.

Edited by pamplemousse
  • Love 3
(edited)
18 hours ago, pamplemousse said:

That one woman who didn't match had a voice-over monologue that came across as so egotistical, I rolled my eyes so hard my head started to pound. If that's how she came across when applying for match, it's no wonder she didn't get a match at any of her four choices.

This monologue? -- "I am an exceptional vet and any client will be lucky to have me." Paraphrased. The woman didn't even get matched but she sure didn't let it affect her self-regard. She keeps saying she wants to teach, but most instructors in professional programs have some work experience in their fields. It's not like law students graduate and immediately become faculty. I felt like calling the clinic where she ended up and asking how she and her bad attitude worked out for them.

I like seeing all the various types of surgery on Animal ER. I try not to blame owners for delaying bringing in their animals, or not noticing a problem, but that hen was messed up. The girl was very concerned and willing to pay for the best treatment, but dang. That wound seemed hard to miss for days.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, lordonia said:

This monologue? -- "I am an exceptional vet and any client will be lucky to have me." Paraphrased. The woman didn't even get matched but she sure didn't let it affect her self-regard. She keeps saying she wants to teach, but most instructors in professional programs have some work experience in their fields. It's not like law students graduate and immediately become faculty. I felt like calling the clinic where she ended up and asking how she and her bad attitude worked out for them.

Yeah, I think her name is Melanie. Haha, doooo it! I think her internship was/is at some vet clinic called Red Bank in New Jersey. I found her sniffling, sniveling, and self-aggrandizing so off-putting. And yes what was up with her continuing to insist that she wanted to teach, one would think that she'd need work experience first but I guess she's such a special snowflake, so maybe not. What I found really funny was how she said something like "I'm being very picky" when she was talking on the phone to a place that had an open internship -- I was thinking um, you're the one scrambling because you didn't match, maybe telling a place that could potentially help you that you're very picky comes off as a bit...lacking in humility or awareness of the situation? She comes across as such a tone-deaf arrogant prat. I wonder how she even got into Penn, which is an Ivy...oh wait, being a tone-deaf arrogant prat might actually be a pre-requisite there.

Edited by pamplemousse
  • Love 1

Saw an episode of Dr. Jeff yesterday with a bright yellow python named Banana.  I never thought a snake would make me go SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE! And for about half a second, I wanted one.

But only half a second.  They require more care than I'm able to provide, and I don't think my apartment manager(or my cat)would be too keen on the idea.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1

Life at Vet U: I never thought about it before but one of the hardest parts of being a vet must be keeping a straight face when owners do things like bring bottled water and lump crabmeat when a pet requires an overnight stay after routine surgery. But then Dr. Melanie goes into the restroom to sob because her cat as asthma, so maybe all the excesses seem normal to them. (Not saying asthma isn't a serious disease, but I would expect a vet to just take a deep breath and deal.)

The bovine c-sections were surprising, just because I don't know how owners are able to transport animals to the vet in time for the surgery since cows that can't calve are usually an emergency situation. Maybe the clinic keeps a herd themselves? It still seems odd that there were several cows that needed c-sections as the same time.

Animal ER: The rancher who got so emotional about accidentally running over his dog made me cry, too. Poor little pup, RIP.

I didn't know that parrot owners can inadvertently give their birds sexual stimulation, yikes. I have to say after seeing them on Dr. K and other shows, parrots seem like pretty high maintenance pets. And you have to make arrangements for them in your will because they'll likely outlive you!

The amount of dental work, root canals and crowns that the Animal ER vets do is kind of surprising to me. I have crowns myself but I don't know if I expect my adhesives to hold up if I was trying to drag a man down with my teeth! Hell, I had a crown pop off last month all by itself.

As an aside, it's funny that most of the vets (except Pol) are careful to say "radiograph" instead of "x-ray", but I'm still going to call them x-rays. Even my doctors do. ;)

• Love 1
On 9/26/2016 at 3:25 PM, Bastet said:

The gender split for veterinarians in this country is about 50/50, but women are increasingly represented in veterinary schools -- up to 80% of students. 

Veterinary medicine is still a blindingly white profession, though.  A BLS report from only a couple of years ago showed 97 percent of practicing veterinarians to be white.  Like women, non-whites are better represented in veterinary schools than in the workforce, yet they still comprise only something like ten percent of enrolled students.

It's why I'm very happy to have The Vet Life on the air, even though I don't care for the scenes at home (in that or any show; that one just happens to have more than the others I watch, so it stands out).  One of the vets said when he met his wife and introduced himself as a vet, she said she'd never met a black veterinarian in her life.  This is not uncommon, obviously.  It's so great to show them to a national audience.

One thing I wish they would talk about more is the fact that all three of the Vet Life vets were educated at an HBCU (historically Black college/university). Traditionally HBCU's have produced more minority professionals of every type (doctors, lawyers, vets, engineers, PhDs, etc) than all other schools combined. It's a rich history which the majority of Americans are blind to.

• Love 2

Noel Fitzpatrick posted on his facebook page that The SuperVet is airing new episodes beginning Wednesday November 9th.

Cool; I wonder when/where we'll get those episodes in the U.S.

• Love 2

Today's episode of Lucky Dog with Olive was so touching. She was gong to be used as an emotional support animal for children testifying in court, but what got to me was Brandon getting teary when he had to say goodbye to her. He often becomes fond of the dogs he trains but this seems like it was a real loss for him.

It often seems like the highest compliment we pay pets is that they're "sweet." I sometimes find that very limiting in that people don't value being smart or energetic or playful, but in this case Olive certainly was loving and calm.

• Love 4

For those of you who are interested, there have been many displaced animals after the horrific fires in the Smoky Mountains. They need donations of food, cages, blankets, towels to help the animals. This area has been just devastated our national treasure so any help is greatly appreciated. Or you can donate to Dolly Parton's site, MyPeopleFund. All moneys will go directly to rescuing animals, supporting all of the families who've lost their homes and livelihoods. Please consider a donation to help them through this horrible time, especially with Christmas coming. So many children have lost their homes, belongings and any Christmas they thought they might have. Thank you!

• Love 2

Twelve adorable puppies gamboling on Dr. Pol! They so gamboled. Can you die from too much cuteness?

I watched the first episode of The Guardians and was a little uncomfortable with the confrontations, but that's just me in general.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, lordonia said:

Twelve adorable puppies gamboling on Dr. Pol! They so gamboled. Can you die from too much cuteness?

I watched the first episode of The Guardians and was a little uncomfortable with the confrontations, but that's just me in general.

Animal cuteness is sometimes the only thing keeping me alive ...  Gamboling is my newest favorite word.

I aspire to be confrontational with animal abusers.  Locked & loaded with no place to go.  :-)

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, rcc said:

I had to look up gamboling! I like that word.

I am OLD, so it is a word revisited from my misspent youth!  :-)

If I could put a picture to the word, I'd link the YouTube video : "Jingle Bell Goats".

• Love 2

I'm still thinking about that poor dog with the huge cheek abscess on Dr. Pol this week. Dr. Emily lanced it and put in a drain but the dog came back in a few days later with the skin ripped open all the way down his neck. They said it had burst from the pressure but there shouldn't have been that much pressure with the drain there, right?

And maybe it wasn't possible to use a protective cone or bandages, but I'm thinking the wound opened because the dog was scratching at it. And sorry, but the owners waited far too long before they brought the dog in. At least it had a good ending but I'm imagining another complaint to the vet board from another random vet about how that case was handled.

• Love 2
(edited)

Dr. Jeff is coming back soon! I'm an old hippie myself, but think he looks so much better with short hair. I really hope his recovery and good health continue unabated. I'm looking forward to seeing his team in their new facility.

Did everyone see the commercials for the new show about the Bronx Zoo airing next month? I'm squeeing!

Dr. Pol -- That poor dog that ate the string/twist ties. I thought she'd pull through just because the show focuses mostly on success stories but there was just too much infection for her small body, I guess.

What the heck was that "to be continued" about? As if I'm on the edge of my seating waiting for next week to see if Pol can untwist a cow for the 20th time.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 3

Love, love, love Dr. Jeff (and his long hair)!  I am ever so relieved to see him looking like he's on the mend, and can't wait for the new season to start,

I am also looking forward to the Bronx Zoo show.

I really like that show "The Guardians" - especially how these people try to find solutions to help and educate, rather than automatically judging others.  Sometimes to help the animal, you have to help the owner first.

• Love 3

I love The Guardians.

Though no way in hell I could do their job. The guy beating the puppy (I had to turn away because no way do I need that image in my head, but I saw the reaction of the two people there to confront him and knew it must have been bad) REALLY pissed me off.

I am just glad they got the puppy away from him.

Also sad a 21 year vet from the Navy was homeless and no one would give him a place to rent simply because he had two SMALL dogs.

Definitely looking forward to Dr Jeff! It is my favorite of all the vet shows.

• Love 4