Type keyword(s) to search

Veterinary And Animal Rescue Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

I just heard this show exists, so haven't seen an episode yet. You all are making it sound rather tragic. If I watch it, am I going to feel traumatized and worried about the animals being OK after the show? Or do they really show change and everybody safe and happy and not negligent and stupid by the end?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just heard this show exists, so haven't seen an episode yet. You all are making it sound rather tragic. If I watch it, am I going to feel traumatized and worried about the animals being OK after the show? Or do they really show change and everybody safe and happy and not negligent and stupid by the end?

Hmmmm, tough question. So far, at the end of each episode I'd say the family at least has a chance of getting along in the future. Usually, even a good chance if they follow through with the advice. The thing each case seems to have in common, is that the owners are always the main problem.... no surprise there, going all the way back to Cesar Milan up to and including, Jackson's Cat from Hell series it's almost always the human rather than the animal. Really, this week's episode is the one I'd say has the least chance of long term success, again, having more to do with the humans than the animals... I mean the human couple have gone through multiple break ups, and I wouldn't bet on the humans still being a couple this time next year even if the cat and dog become best buds. At the end of the episode they had made a start of getting the animals to coexist peacefully. Problem is, both humans argued and fought with the experts they brought in to fix their problems and only grudgingly followed the advice. Still, even if they don't stay together and end up with happy pets, there was good advice given that would work if they followed it.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 2

I'm not as pessimistic as SRTouch with respect to this last couple. The biggest problems in the house were 1) girlfriend was the only one who saw the dog's attention on the cat as problematic (boyfriend didn't seem to care until Boo turned on Girly hissing and spitting), 2) the apartment was small and there was literally no where for Boo to go where Girly couldn't chase her or get to her, 3) Girly wasn't getting enough exercise or having her instinctual behavior channeled in a positive manner, and 4) Boyfriend had conditioned Girly to only respond to him and not to the other human in the house.

Following the episode, it seemed like 2) and 4) were dealt with completely (a huge cat condo that was high enough the dog couldn't reach the cat on the upper portions as well as sleeping areas up off the floor and food station under a table too small for Girly to get under plus girlfriend going through basic obedience training with Girly). As far as 1) was concerned, I think Jackson forcing a connection between Boo and boyfriend will result in boyfriend stepping in when the animals focus too much on one another. The only issue I'm not sure will be changed is whether they will continue to exercise Girly and spend time having her herd trained. Generally, I do think that both boyfriend and girlfriend ended up feeling like they learned a lot about their pets. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Thus far, it seems it will be like My Cat From Hell - every once in a while, you'll get a real jackass or someone who is permanently stuck on stupid, but for the most part it's a bunch of people who love their pets but are surprisingly clueless at how to manage them.  Jackson (now Jackson and the dog expert) comes in and talks sense to them, there's some resistance with the homework, they finally embrace it, and voila - happy household.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think we should request a dedicated forum so we can debrief every episode, as well.

I'm too lazy to come up with thread titles until seeing if it goes beyond a handful of episodes (like the show about overweight pets), but go for it!

• Love 1

Animal Planet to Present Inspiring Stories of Animals in New Series DODO HEROES

DODO HEROES (WT) will feature inspiring stories of animals from around the world in dire need, and those who go to unimaginable lengths to help them.  Featured stories will document true heroes and the animals they save, including, among other stories,

Pen Farthing, a former British Royal Marine who has reunited more than 700 street dogs with the soldiers who adopted them in Afghanistan; an Australian family whose life's mission is to rescue injured baby koalas from the disastrous winter cyclone season; and Derrick Campana, the inspiring DOCTOR WHO has dedicated his life to building custom prosthetics for animals of all sizes from elephants to rabbits.

Programming notes from Nat Geo Wild:

"The new series are Rocky Mountain Animal Rescue (premieres March 10), The Supervet (March 11), Alaska’s Grizzly Gauntlet (April) and Zoo Life with Jack Hanna (June). There’s also the return of Nat Geo Wild’s No. 1 series, The Incredible Dr. Pol, along with new seasons of Dr. K’s Exotic Animal ER and Buckeye Bottoms."

I enjoyed the trial episodes of Buckeye Bottoms last year, but ugh to Jack Hanna. Sorry, never could stand that blowhard.

• Love 1

I tried to watch a recorded episode of Dr. Pol and just couldn't do it.  Our beloved rat terrier died yesterday of pneumonia. We had her for more than 12 years and miss her terribly. Somehow I just couldn't watch Dr. Pol taking care of other people's pets.  Maybe after some time passes I'll try again.

• Love 1

That improvised harness for physical therapy was pretty cute and I was impressed the keepers were target training the bats. And I laughed when Dr. Sykes acknowledged his deadpan speaking style. It's good to have Mert and the show back.

• Love 1

I checked my cable listings and that looks like just one of those two minute clips. Who knows, though...I didn't expect Animal Planet to cue up that preview episode with only two or three days notice either. 

• Love 1

This article was written before season 1 of Animal Planet's The Zoo aired but I thought it contained some interesting information, at least to me.  Such as,

Filming natural animal antics proved a challenge as well since crews could not step inside enclosures. ... "These are not trained animals, they are not accustomed to interacting with people," Lucas said. "Sometimes we had to hide cameras in fake tree stumps and mount them around the enclosures."  But curious gorillas managed to find the cameras hidden behind plastic glass in their exhibits, smearing them and sometimes ruining the footage.

This article describes some of the stories that will be covered in season 2.

All-new stories and animals this season include Dave, a red kangaroo who bounces back from arthritic symptoms after undergoing chryotherapy; breeding komodo dragons; keepers training bats, a golden eagle and Indian gharials; the head-starting of hellbenders, a giant salamander found in Eastern North America, for introduction into the wild; and how a keeper deals with retiring after 31 years of caring for Happy, Patty and Maxine, the zoo’s three female Asian elephants.

There is also going to be a supplemental web series, THE ZOO: FROM THE INSIDE, on Animal Planet GO and Facebook Watch:

... which takes audiences behind the scenes and offers them exclusive looks at operations zoo guests never see.  Stories include: an after-hours look at the animal commissary, where food is stored and delivered every night for the animals; feeding time with tigers and baby penguins; and much more.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, RealityCheck said:

There is also going to be a supplemental web series, THE ZOO: FROM THE INSIDE, on Animal Planet GO and Facebook Watch:

Thanks for passing along the articles.

I don't normally bother with online BTS clips, but I'll definitely make an exception for this! Can't get enough of these animals and their human co-conspirators. I'm getting sad in advance about the unknown keeper's retirement. Elephants are the best.

• Love 1

I couldn't find The Supervet on the DVR guide for Sunday March 11 so I looked up Nat Geo Wild's schedule and discovered it is now scheduled to premiere Sunday March 18 at 10PM.                                                           

• Love 1

NatGeoWild has a new Saturday night show called Rocky Mountain Animal Rescue that just started last week.  It is similar to the old show "Animal Cops", and features Animal Control officers and the Humane Society in the Pikes Peak region of Colorado.

Also, Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER returns on Sunday, March 18th.

ETA: On Monday, 3/12 Nat Geo and NatGeoWild are airing the documentary Jane, about the incredible Jane Goodall.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, smittykins said:

Thanks, @walnutqueen, I'll have to check that out(I watch reruns of the various Animal Cops shows).

Me, too!  Much as they are sometimes very hard to watch (and my FF button gets a real workout), I have always loved the Animal Cops series.  The veterinarian on this new show has already captured my heart with her obvious love for the animals she treats.

• Love 4

Is anyone watching The Zoo show from the inside on Animal Planet?  I didn't see any other thread for it around here.  I did see it was mentioned here upthread.  I really liked it.  I watched  several episodes yesterday and learned quite a bit.  There is one thing that makes me scratch my head. In the opening, the director says their goal is to erase children's concept of a zoo having bars.......well....I recall one of my first visits to a zoo in the 1970's and it didn't have bars.  So, I'm not sure what he's talking about.  I can't imagine any children today in the USA thinking of a zoo with bars.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is anyone watching The Zoo show from the inside on Animal Planet?  I didn't see any other thread for it around here.  I did see it was mentioned here upthread.  I really liked it.  I watched  several episodes yesterday and learned quite a bit.  There is one thing that makes me scratch my head. In the opening, the director says their goal is to erase children's concept of a zoo having bars.......well....I recall one of my first visits to a zoo in the 1970's and it didn't have bars.  So, I'm not sure what he's talking about.  I can't imagine any children today in the USA thinking of a zoo with bars.  

Unfortunately, there are still plenty of zoos with bars and cages.  Not every area is as blessed with funding like my own local San Diego Zoo/Wild Animal (now Safari) Parks; or the Bronx Zoo, or, for that matter, any other well publicized zoo.  

There was actually a short-lived show about "zoo/sanctuary" animal rescues (the name of the show escapes me), where experts went in to help save exotic animals from small private zoos or untenable individual ownership situations.  It was a real eye opener.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I had no idea. I've been fortunate to visit the NC Zoo, Miami Zoo, and San Diego Zoo.  I thought that bars were a thing of the past. 

All big-time, well funded zoos.  For every one of those, there are dozens of sometimes well-meaning but often under funded or even tragically negligent "zoos", "sanctuaries", travelling side-shows, and willfully defiant individual owners who keep exotics in horrific situations.

Just before I get off my soapbox, I want to see a federal law banning private ownership of all exotic animals.  And I am absolutely apoplectic about the current suspension of the ban on importing certain lion and elephant trophies.  It is an obscene abomination, and has nothing to do with politics.

This world has seen the extinction of many species, and is now counting the days until the last male northern white rhino draws his last breath.  It's about time we put a stop to this senseless genocide, and start giving back to the planet we owe our lives to.

• Love 9

I'm planning to watch. I have a couple of episodes on my DVR that I recorded this weekend. I've been super busy this week, so I haven't gotten to them yet. I wish I'd known about the show before now. The clips I've seen look really good.

I think it would be great to have a dedicated forum for The Zoo. I might request one after I watch, if it turns out I like it as much as I think I will. But don't wait for me; if someone else wants to make the request, please do-- I'll catch up with you all later.

• Love 3

I'm so happy The Zoo is back! I adore all the staff and animals.

Dave the kangaroo was so sweet having his cryosurgery. Congrats to the keepers for training those gharial to feed in peace -- loved the one guy catching on quickly while one of the others was all, "I don't get it, dude."

The zoo director just seems like everyone's favorite middle school science teacher.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I'm so happy The Zoo is back! I adore all the staff and animals.

Dave the kangaroo was so sweet having his cryosurgery. Congrats to the keepers for training those gharial to feed in peace -- loved the one guy catching on quickly while one of the others was all, "I don't get it, dude."

The zoo director just seems like everyone's favorite middle school science teacher.

Ditto.

I loved the bit at the end, when Dave the kangaroo is hopping around his exercise yard with reckless abandon, knocking the zoo director ass over tea kettle.  Everyone, including Dave, was so darned happy - as was I.

And as if a tiny little marmoset isn't cute enough - we get a tiny little BABY marmoset.  Squee!

• Love 4

Glad to have The Zoo back. Regarding animals in captivity for the public's viewing pleasure, I remember when apes and chimpanzees where kept in smallish cages at the National Zoo. Just big blocks of concrete and metal, with no enrichment, no space to swing around, no interaction with others.  Smart creatures imprisoned with nothing to do. I stopped going to zoos when I realized they were all like that.

Things are somewhat better today at the big zoos with robust fundraising capabilities. But zoos should only exist for conservation purposes.

The boss' wife is an odd duck. I'd rather see other hard-working staff.

• Love 3

The Bonx is doing some great things.  I mean, they have literally saved species that became extinct in other countries, raised them, and returned them back to their native land. Just fascinating.  

They do need to get their act together in the snake section.  It seems too lax and risky.  Not sure what the issue is, but, I'm shocked no one has been harmed by dangerous snakes yet. 

The new episode of Supervet about destroyed me with Chris and Spud. Obviously all the owners on this show love their animals tremendously to go to the time and expense to take them to Dr. Fitzpatrick, but Chris had so few resources and relied on Spud so much for his own well being. Pit of despair, indeed.

As always, Noel's own goodness, dedication, and sincere concern for both animals and humans is inspiring.

Gray kitty was the best. Animals who stand quietly while doctors do necessary but painful things always get to me.

• Love 3

Beware of small rant coming on.

Was watching The Yorkshire Vet (on Acorn) and one owner in particular was driving me crazy. She was probably in her 70s and loved her little dog to bits, y'all! The dog is her child, she'd die without her, etc.

This was over a couple of seasons, but her first visit was because dog had about a pound of feces stuck to her backside. Anal gland issues, something. The vet cleaned off the shit, cut all the matted hair, gave her medication for the irritation.

The next visit was due to a small mass on the dog's abdomen that turned out to be a hard candy that had gotten stuck and matted in.

Third time was an eye infection because the dog's hair wasn't trimmed properly and was causing irritation. The vet also had to cut her nails and clean her ears.

For crissake! If this dog is the most important thing in the owner's life, she needs to damned well take care of her! If the owner can't see well or bend or whatever, take the poor little pooch to the groomer.

It's not nearly as infuriating as deliberate abuse, but jeeze louise.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 6
On 3/20/2018 at 2:52 AM, 2727 said:

Beware of small rant coming on.

Was watching The Yorkshire Vet (on Acorn) and one owner in particular was driving me crazy. She was probably in her 70s and loved her little dog to bits, y'all! The dog is her child, she'd die without her, etc.

This was over a couple of seasons, but her first visit was because dog had about a pound of feces stuck to her backside. Anal gland issues, something. The vet cleaned off the shit, cut all the matted hair, gave her medication for the irritation.

The next visit was due to a small mass on the dog's abdomen that turned out to be a hard candy that had gotten stuck and matted in.

Third time was an eye infection because the dogs hair wasn't trimmed properly and was causing irritation. The vet also had to cut her nails and clean her ears.

For crissake! If this dog is the most important thing in the owner's life, she needs to damned well take care of her! If the owner can't see well or bend or whatever, take the poor little pooch to the groomer.

It's not nearly as infuriating as deliberate abuse, but jeeze louise.

I didn't see it, but, if the owner is that negligent, they should be removed. Perhaps, something is causing the pet owner to be missing vital clues about the dog welfare. Maybe, the owner is having some mental or visual decline, but, that's no excuse, imo.  I get frustrated when I see pet owners who are mentally ill, but, neglecting pets they claim to love and the county/city officials bend over backwards to keep the pets in their care!  BOGGLES the mind.  I'm not sure why they think it's fair to the animals.  Don't get me started. 

I've seen similar things on Rocky Mountain vet too, like the dog was injured 4 days previous or some story of injury that sounds bogus.  I suspect some of those stories involve the owner being negligent.  Still, nobody gives it much thought. Just patch it up and send them back home......worrisome to me. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

Brutal episode of Dr. K tonight

Spoiler

with two patient deaths.

Does anyone know if the large, tattooed, bearded vet tech is still there? I haven't seen him this season but may have missed a line or two about him leaving. There seem to be new interns there as well. I need updates on the staff!

It was sweet to hear Dr. K say she thinks of Dr. T as her daughter. They do have a nurturing relationship, from what we see.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Brutal episode of Dr. K tonight

Hide contents

with two patient deaths.

Does anyone know if the large, tattooed, bearded vet tech is still there? I haven't seen him this season but may have missed a line or two about him leaving. There seem to be new interns there as well. I need updates on the staff!

It was sweet to hear Dr. K say she thinks of Dr. T as her daughter. They do have a nurturing relationship, from what we see.

Crapballs.  My FF button will be working overtime, again.

I really liked that large, tattooed, bearded vet tech, and hope to see him again.  Preferably cuddling a teeny kitten.  :-)

• Love 3

I watched the first half of the new episode of Dr K's Animal ER that aired last night.  The spider monkey that ate sushi, chicken nuggets, & cheese, used to advertise the episode, was one of the cases.  The owners brought the animal in to be neutered because he had bitten their daughter. I didn't hear how old the daughter was but the couple appeared to be in their mid-30s.  What angered me was they asked Dr K if she would remove the teeth as a solution for the biting problem.  I was appalled that the owners thought that was an appropriate solution and was happy when Dr K told them it was unethical.  I didn't see the resolution of the case but felt the monkey drew the short straw for owners.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

I watched the first half of the new episode of Dr K's Animal ER that aired last night.  The spider monkey that ate sushi, chicken nuggets, & cheese, used to advertise the episode, was one of the cases.  The owners brought the animal in to be neutered because he had bitten their daughter. I didn't hear how old the daughter was but the couple appeared to be in their mid-30s.  What angered me was they asked Dr K if she would remove the teeth as a solution for the biting problem.  I was appalled that the owners thought that was an appropriate solution and was happy when Dr K told them it was unethical.  I didn't see the resolution of the case but felt the monkey drew the short straw for owners.

I believe the daughter was in her early 20s.  The couple seemed awfully ignorant, but Dr. K was very patient with them, and explained why a proper diet and behavior management was so important, and she gave them a lot of resource material.  When they left, they seemed to have had a change of heart, and said they would change the monkey's diet and do whatever Dr. K. recommended to keep their pet healthy and happy, because it was like their child.  So ... fingers crossed.

Dr. K stated that she tries not to be judgmental, but does her best to educate owners - which is probably a much more successful tactic than scolding & contempt.  Kudos to her for having such a positive attitude.

• Love 6

She's a lot more patient than I would have been. I'm amazed they got their OWN kids to adulthood with that attitude. Sheesh!

I felt bad for Chickadees owner. Losing 3 pets so close together. I would have liked to find out what that metal stuff in the birds stomach was and if it had something to do with the other pets deaths. 

• Love 4