Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I think having Felicity suddenly decide she has no feelings for Oliver, especially after the scene on Lian Yu when she practically begged him to say it wasn't all a con, would be a worse ruse than Oliver's in the Mansion.  Besides, Guggenheim said

Guggenheim: We’re certainly moving him and her in that direction, and over the course of the comic we’ll see them growing closer and closer. That will tie in pretty nicely for the season premiere.

and it seems bizarre to spend the comic growing them closer only to have  her decide "now that I have Oliver interested in me, I guess I never was serious about my feelings for him."  That would so be WTF?

I think that's a bit unfair, the show isn't doing a time jump just because of Olicity the show has kept to real time or close to real time since the beginning. The show jumped ahead one month after winter break for both S1 & S2. The show jumped ahead 5 months between S1 & S2 and kept to the same time difference between S2 & S3.

It worked after s1 because Oliver was on the island and they were putting together Moira's case in Starling City so the time jumped worked.  But there were too many cliff-hangers at the end of s2, not just Olicity but where Oliver was going to live and what he was going to do for money, how was Roy going to handle the awkward fitting-in stage, and what happens to Quentin Lance, that to do a time jump this year means we miss out on a lot of character development that would have been good to see on screen.

Edited by statsgirl

I think Oliver/Sara love each other, but their relationship always felt more like FWB too me. I got the impression they were trying to force something deeper out of it and it wasn't working for a number of reasons….I like to think Felicity and Nyssa were some of those reasons.

I think the time jump had nothing to do with Olicity, I think it was more about Thea & Malcolm and avoiding Lyla's pregnancy. If they didn't do a time jump we would have to wait longer for bad ass Thea and Diggle would be in lamaze class. Also, I don't think they know how to ease Laurel (or really anyone else) into Team Arrow so they are trying to avoid that by just jumping in.

• Love 4

It worked after s1 because Oliver was on the island and they were putting together Moira's case in Starling City so the time jumped worked.  But there were too many cliff-hangers at the end of s2, not just Olicity but where Oliver was going to live and what he was going to do for money, how was Roy going to handle the awkward fitting-in stage, and what happens to Quentin Lance, that to do a time jump this year means we miss out on a lot of character development that would have been good to see on screen.

Yup, this is why I'm frustrated by the time jump and feel cheated. I didn't think they were doing it because of Olicity (and yes, even without the comics I could see how Oliver and Felicity would get from the beach scene to a date in the opener. I just want to actually SEE it onscreen because I love seeing them together). Second season ended with too many loose ends, so to speak. And to have that answered in the comics feels unsatisfying to me right now. Maybe we'll be shown some of that on the show *shrugs* who knows? The EPs have talked about doing a variety of flashbacks, including one to the night of the siege from different perspectives outside of Team Arrow (not very enthused by that, sounds like a retreat of "The Promise" for me where we already know what happened and the story doesn't get advanced).

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

The EPs have talked about doing a variety of flashbacks, including one to the night of the siege from different perspectives outside of Team Arrow (not very enthused by that, sounds like a retreat of "The Promise" for me where we already know what happened and the story doesn't get advanced).

Actually in this case I think it won't just be a retread since I think the flashbacks will set up motivations for other characters so it will be brand new stuff for us. 

The thing about the time jump is it doesn't have to be one or the other.  Why couldn't they pick up at the cliff hangers, resolve them, maybe even stay back in that time line for an episode or two to start showing the changing awareness between Oliver and Felicity and then have the time jump. 

There is no rule that says they have to perfectly line up all the time, if there was, they already broke their own rule with the final three episodes.  I think they just being comic guys fell in love with the idea of a way to fall back on the comics to tell their story. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I'm thinking with how much Ross has been tweeting, the BTS shots, and the fact that a lot other cast members seem to have a light week this episode is really about Felicity. Lol I'm really glad it is, but I was worried it would be more like Time of Death and have a cut away to someone else's drama. 

• Love 3

http://tvline.com/gallery/fall-tv-spoilers-2014-season-premieres-photos/#!4/arrow/

Ok, none of this is new info BUT I do have a question: when a reviewer says "...play a role in Laurel's evolution into Canary" is that the reviewer's speculative theory about what's going to happen or is that based on anything officially stated?  Because I have yet to see, hear or read a single thing that states - without any doubt - that Laurel will be the Canary and Sara won't.

Does anyone have an opinion about this?

I think having Felicity suddenly decide she has no feelings for Oliver, especially after the scene on Lian Yu when she practically begged him to say it wasn't all a con, would be a worse ruse than Oliver's in the Mansion.  Besides, Guggenheim said

and it seems bizarre to spend the comic growing them closer only to have  her decide "now that I have Oliver interested in me, I guess I never was serious about my feelings for him."  That would so be WTF?

In addition to that, Guggenheim said Oliver and Felicity were in love with each other and that the secrets he tells her on the date about his missing five years deepen their connection. So I agree that it's unlikely Felicity's feelings will change.

Even though Oliver will probably gnash his teeth at Ray's interest in Felicity, I've been wondering if he might try to push her towards Ray as a way of cockblocking himself after he decides he can't be with her?

Are there going to be many crossovers with The Flash? Because I have no interest in watching that show.

I also really have no interest in a Felicity/Oliver romance. Sigh.

So far we know that Arrow has a cameo in The Flash pilot. Felicity goes to The Flash in the 4th episode and there is a two part Arrow/Flash crossover with the 8th episode of both shows. Beyond that I haven't heard of anything specific, unless you count shared Villains (The Clock King will appear in episode 7 of The Flash).

Well there will be one major crossover in episode 8, beyond that I'm not sure at all! But I don't think you'll need to watch the flash to understand what's happening in Arrow. 

Eh, Oliver/Felicity isn't everyone's cup of tea. hopefully there are other exciting things that keep you motivated for Arrow! Also, hopefully they don't jump the gun on Oliver/Felicity :/ this is my biggest fear right now lol because I really like this couple, moreso than any other couple I've seen on television. lol

Malcolm and Thea! Malcolm and Thea! If it weren't for the ~super secret developments going on with those two, my interest in season three probably would have sailed away with Sara.

But the potential "two men, a hacker and a baby" Team Arrow Diggletventures might also be worth looking forward to. (I don't care for Roy /lucille bluth)

• Love 2

But the potential "two men, a hacker and a baby" Team Arrow Diggletventures might also be worth looking forward to. (I don't care for Roy /lucille bluth)

I love Diggle, but I'm not a fan of him having a baby. I'm just afraid that it's going to push him in the background more, and I would hate that. On another note, thank god I'm not alone regarding Roy. Of all of the characters, he is my least favorite, and I can see him being another reason Diggle gets pushed aside. I understand his comic importance, but to me, he brings nothing to the table.

I was always indifferent to Thea, but her story-line looks so promising that I'm excited for her. I really hope she gets some good material because Willa can handle it. I don't think Sara has sailed away completely, I still think they're keeping her in their pocket. So maybe we'll see more of her the second half of the season.

Edited by JJ928

Are there going to be many crossovers with The Flash? Because I have no interest in watching that show.

Well, it does appear that Felicity and Oliver will be apart for most of season 3, anyways, due to reasons.  Now, does a Felicity/Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh) romance interest you because that's a possibility based on some of the spoilers that have come out.  I totally get how you feel because I'm currently watching a show where I don't like the main character, and I just find myself sighing and wishing that she, her obnoxious friends, and her boring storyline would go away.    

I'm in wait and see mode in regrads to Daddy Diggle; I am not a fan of children in shows like Arrow, that includes Oliver's.

I hope apart doesn't mean apart for Oliver/Felicity. I think its important for their relationship to continue to grow as friends/partners even if/esp if they can't be romantic now. That and Team Arrow is one of my favorite things, I want it to be tested, not broke.

Willa Holland has a great quality to her and I want to see her relationship with Oliver exploted. Can't wait for that.

• Love 5

I am still wondering why we don't get any info about the chemistry between KC and J.R Ramirez. Only about Emily and Brandon.

It makes sense. Ray is more of main character than Ted Grant will be. I think J.R. Ramirez will only be in a couple episodes. Also Felicity is generally a fan favorite so people want to hear more info about her character. 

Yeah but everybody and their mama knows Emily has chemistry with practically everybody on the show. So them saying Emily has chemistry with Brandon its like saying the sky is blue. And it just seems like a repeat of what there were saying with Grant Gustin.

And then we have KC who almost has negative chemistry with the lead actor. Shouldn't there be some reassurance that with her next love interest there will at least be some positive chemistry. I remember correctly? They did say Laurel is getting a new LI this year. 

They said Laurel would have a love interest, but I don't think they said it would be Ted. I assume, along with most people, it's him because they hired someone so much younger than the character. I don't think there has been official confirmation that it's him, yet. Unless I missed something - which is entirely possible.

Yeah but everybody and their mama knows Emily has chemistry with practically everybody on the show. So them saying Emily has chemistry with Brandon its like saying the sky is blue. And it just seems like a repeat of what there were saying with Grant Gustin.

And then we have KC who almost has negative chemistry with the lead actor. Shouldn't there be some reassurance that with her next love interest there will at least be some positive chemistry. I remember correctly? They did say Laurel is getting a new LI this year. 

Do people even know for sure that Ted Grant is going to be Laurel's love interest? I feel like that's just an assumption being made because they cast a younger actor. And again, I think he's only going to be in a couple episodes. Also most of the marketing has had to do with Felicity. It's just what the EP's do. Even all their sneak peek quotes that they post on twitter are Felicity quotes. 

Edit: He's also just started filming too I believe. 

Edited by ban1o

Laurel's storyline is hard to figure out this year (I don't know what the promotion was for her last year so maybe this is normal). I think they still intend to make her BC, but they are being vague about the actual question, so maybe not. They are introducing Ted Grant to guide/train/whatever who was supposed to be recurring, but now he is a regular on another show, so maybe not. They talk about a LI, but there haven't been any species and if its Ted, maybe not. They said Sara would play a big part in her story, but they said that earlier and Sara was more about Oliver/LOA, so maybe not. I don't know if your storyline is in a state of flux right now or if they just know that the fans would rather here about the other characters.

I feel like we have a general understanding of the themes of all the other major players (maybe not Thea, but I think they know where they are taking her). 

• Love 2

You know, I'd rather the EPs outright state whether Laurel will be BC or not. Will people be upset if they do state Laurel is becoming BC? Sure, but given time they'd get used to it. This is pretty much what they did with Oliver/Felicity during the summer. It seems to me that the EPs are having trouble committing to Laurel's arc which is worrisome because to me it means that they're not confident in her arc. To me if they were excited about Laurel they would show it, instead, we've barely heard a peep about her this entire summer. This doesn't give me any confidence about Laurel at all. 

• Love 5

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the final decision in making Laurel BC is out of the hands of the showrunners because it's pending approval from network and studio. Hence Sara still around and having such a ~mysterious role in S3. Hence no word on Laurel's storyline except for Ted Grant. The WB has a really long history of micro-managing this exact kind of thing in their TV properties.

Season 2 hits Netflix in a couple of weeks. I would bet real money the WB is gonna wait for their reports on most-wached vs. least-watched episodes and scenes to settle this one. It's the most devisive topic re: Arrow, and Netflix gives them a pretty good way to measure character reception.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 1

Speaking of Ray Palmer, MG said BR was booked for 16 episodes.  So are most of them happening in the second half of the season?  Other than the premiere I can't find any mention of him anywhere. 

He probably only has a scene or two in the episodes filmed so far. 

You know, I'd rather the EPs outright state whether Laurel will be BC or not.

I don't think they've decided so there's nothing equivocal to state.I think they will or could say something like we plan for Laurel to become Black Canary, but we don't need to tell you WHEN that will happen, it could be the last shot of the last episode they ever shoot, as it stands Sara is our Canary. 

Still, GO WHITE CANARY.

Speaking of Ray Palmer, MG said BR was booked for 16 episodes. So are most of them happening in the second half of the season? Other than the premiere I can't find any mention of him anywhere.

I want to say he's in 302 or 303 but I don't know why I think that. He's in 16 episodes but I expect they'll be sporatic.

Laurel's storyline is hard to figure out this year (I don't know what the promotion was for her last year so maybe this is normal).

Actually, this is exactly what happened last season and as I recall the fandom talk was that her storyline was under wraps because it was so important. In actuality they didn't say much b/c there wasn't much to say. When they did have a story for Laurel 210-214 they gave several interviews starting in December talking about the Laurel chapter.

I don't think these writers are as Machiavellian as people think, I don't buy into the belief that they're hiding stories for certain characters if they have something they talk about it.

I could be totally wrong but based on last season it seems to be the same situation.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

I wonder if they're not talking about the great chemistry between Laurel and Ted Grant because they're still not sure he's going to be her love interest, although they do want to get her one if Felicity is going to get Oliver.  After the anti-chemistry KC had with SA, maybe they're waiting to find out if Laurel/Ted Grant will work before they book him for long term and set up those story lines.

Same with Laurel as Black Canary. If they have any sense, they'll wait to see how she works out this season instead of confirming she'll be the new BC.

The thing about the time jump is it doesn't have to be one or the other.  Why couldn't they pick up at the cliff hangers, resolve them, maybe even stay back in that time line for an episode or two to start showing the changing awareness between Oliver and Felicity and then have the time jump. 

There is no rule that says they have to perfectly line up all the time, if there was, they already broke their own rule with the final three episodes.  I think they just being comic guys fell in love with the idea of a way to fall back on the comics to tell their story. 

They could do what some other shows do, which is have the start of the first episode immediately after the cliff-hanger and then do a time jump later on ep 1 or before 2.

Even though Oliver will probably gnash his teeth at Ray's interest in Felicity, I've been wondering if he might try to push her towards Ray as a way of cockblocking himself after he decides he can't be with her?

That would be very Oliver.  He did kind of the same thing with Barry too.

I totally get how you feel because I'm currently watching a show where I don't like the main character, and I just find myself sighing and wishing that she, her obnoxious friends, and her boring storyline would go away.    

That's what the fast-forward button is for.  (And I am very thankful for it.)

• Love 2

I am still wondering why we don't get any info about the chemistry between KC and J.R Ramirez. Only about Emily and Brandon.

I'm not sure I'd trust them even if they were raving about the KC/JR chemistry. I assume it can't be worse than her chemistry with SA, right? Right?

I actually wish they could bring Colin Donnell back as a new character. The only times I found myself liking Laurel in S1 were in her scenes with Tommy. Their chemistry didn't set my world on fire, but it was nice and easy, and he made her a bit more likeable to me. 

• Love 1

http://tvline.com/2014/09/02/the-vampire-diaries-season-6-caroline-stefan-love-story-spoilers/

Question: I’ve heard that Arrow is doing a Felicity-centric flashback episode called “Oracle.” I know it’ll touch on her time at MIT and casting news says her mom becomes a factor, but I’d like to know more about how Oracle ties into it. Can you dig up any teases? –Katie H.

Ausiello: For starters, the episode was recently retitled “The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak,” so I’d take a wait-and-see approach as to how much DC Comics’ famous Oracle figures in at this point. As for casting NYPD Blue’s Charlotte Ross as Mama Smoak, Donna, “This is our first deep dive into Felicity’s character, so we knew we wanted to meet one of the parents,” showrunner Marc Guggenheim explains. “We felt both parents would be overload, and one might pull focus from the other.”

Edited by Morrigan2575

From the large DC panel at SDCC KC seemed surprised when they mentioned that Wildcat had been cast. EBR even had to tap her arm to get her attention when they made the announcement. I got the feeling she didn't know anything about who was cast and now we are getting more spoilers about how much chemistry EBR and BR have together and no mention of WildCat and Laurel, maybe they haven't filmed to many scenes together but he tweeted about being in 302 or 303 and he tweeted again Friday night that he was filming.

I find it odd that the EPs aren't trying to promote that couple and their chemistry the way they are with Felicity. 

Unless he isn't the love interest and her love interest is Ra's. If I remember correctly she has an affair with him in the comics. Could that be why we haven't heard about his casting yet? And are they setting up her leaving with him at the Season 3 to really train.

I just wish they would tell us so I could prepare myself.

Oh I hope not. Whenever I picture Ra's, I think of the Batman: The Animated Series version. That's the kinda portrayal I want on the show; Older, dignified, methodical, with a touch of crazy below the surface. 

• Love 2

I find it odd that the EPs aren't trying to promote that couple and their chemistry the way they are with Felicity. 

Maybe they feel like they need to reassure Felicity/Olicity fans. People already know EBR has exceptional chemistry with SA. So they might feel like if they're going to pair her with someone else, they need to placate fans by letting us know she has great chemistry with the other guys too. 

Maybe they feel like they need to reassure Felicity/Olicity fans. People already know EBR has exceptional chemistry with SA. So they might feel like if they're going to pair her with someone else, they need to placate fans by letting us know she has great chemistry with the other guys too. 

It shouldn't be an either or thing though. The EPs can promote multiple couples as having chemistry at the same time.  And to be honest, EBR doesn't need to the chemistry promotion that KC does. That's a universal criticism of Laurel. 

As soon as Sara was cast we heard about her chemistry tests with Oliver, when Nyssa was cast we heard about her chemistry tests with Sara, when Barry was cast we heard about the chemistry tests with Felicity and now Ray Palmer but nothing on Laurel. It's just .... odd.

It's really odd for sure. I would think that the producers would want to get the audience excited for her storyline. If I had to guess though, they want to generate positive buzz and the reaction to Laurel is so divisive they are waiting until after the premiere. 

On the whole though, I find the PR decisions really interesting. 

• Love 2

I don't think you need to worry that Olicity will take over the show - they just know what gets people talking so it's featured heavily in the promotional stuff.

I like em well enough but I primarily watch Arrow for the action (and the abs!), and I don't think romance is going to be the major part of the show any time soon.

Seems Felicity's boyfriend has interaction with Mama Smoak

Hmmm. So does her mom appear both in the present and the flashbacks or does Felicity's ex appear in both. They've said that the flashbacks are at MIT and it's been mentioned that her mom works as a waitress in Vegas, I'm assuming that's where Felicity grew up based on the conversation, so I figured that she wouldn't be in flashbacks. Maybe she comes to see Felicity at college?

I'm thinking she meets the ex in flashbacks. Maybe she comes in MIT to bail Felicity out of trouble (based off of that small clip)?

Felicity already has a storyline with Oliver and Ray in the present, I don't want to throw the ex into the mix.