Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

People are currently writing about wanting to 'shut Stephen Amell up' considering he's not a writer or an EP. They're also stating that he's pissing off Laurel fans and Lauriver shippers by isolating them with his comments and disregarding what the EPs have said about Lauriver over the past two seasons. People are even hoping that the EPs become super angry with Stephen and have a 'serious talk' with him... smh

Eh it's shippers being shippers.  I'm sure the same fans that are currently villifying SA for his comments were praising him last year when he talked about how Oliver will never stop pursuing Laurel and that it's Laurel for Oliver and Oliver for Laurel.  

Oded voiced Ra in the Young Justice animation series.

Seems to me that's the big maybe only reason his name keeps getting tossed around.  Same reason why so many people wanted CCH Pounder for Amanda Waller.  Personally, Oded doesn't exude the intelligence or charm/charisma of Ra's. He's also not a strong enough actor (IMO) to play this character and play it well.  

Pedro Pascal would be fantastic in the role, but he's young and Spanish vs Arabic (which could cause issues). 

• Love 1
(edited)

Pedro Pascal would be fantastic in the role, but he's young and Spanish vs Arabic (which could cause issues).

They could use a bit of makeup, a little gray around the temples, and make a few veiled references to the Lazarus Pit. It just never occurred to me to have PP as Ra's until I read it here; and now, it's going to sit in my brain and take root and grow until they announce who they actually cast, and then I'll be crushed with disappointment like when they cast Brandon Routh instead of Luke Mitchell.

So, thanks guys.  :)

Edited by Lokiberry
  • Love 1
(edited)

If they go with Ra's went into the Lazarus pits and it made him younger storyline, Pedro Pascal could work. Although I think he should look older to give us that intimation factor that Ra's is known for. Whoever they pick has their work cut out for them though. I just hope they pick someone that can embody such a powerful character. I wasn't impressed with their choice for the Wall. The only thing we do have going for us is, Ra's should be older since he has Katrina Law as a daughter so he should at least be in 50's. 

Edited by Sakura12
(edited)

As an Oliver/Felicity fan...I was SHOCKED at what SA said about no more chance of Oliver/Laurel. Because after the constant assurance of the EPs about Oliver/Laurel being end game, I wasn't expecting it. Even though there were overwhelming signs recently that there might be a change in the lead romantic pairing on the show...I simply couldn't make myself hope too much.

If I, as an Oliver/Felicity fan could be so surprised, imagine the shock of the Laurel/Oliver fans. They were so sure that no matter what happens, no matter how many women Oliver beds, no matter how many dates he goes on...he'll end up with Laurel 'because comics' and also what the EPs and KC have been saying in the not so distant past.

Not trying to defend the backlash from the Laurel fans, because nothing condones name calling and demanding an actor be fired because something didn't suit the fans' fantasy. But this reaction is natural, though rude, still natural. They were majorly invested and had the EPs blessings. Some Olicity fans have also said unbecoming things (about KC) in the past. This is the price of popularity.

I'm sure the EPs are used to fans' heavy handed response to whatever they do and Stephen Amell is media savvy and fandom aware and knows how to handle these things maturely. They'll live.

But everyone should learn to respect other people's choices from this incident. After all, who knows how long Oliver/Felicity will last (hopefully forever).

ETA: I would love for Farhan Tahir to be Ra's al Ghul. He was Raza in Ironman and also played Osiris in Supernatural.

Edited by At Leisure
  • Love 2

I hope Ra's is an older actor who - Lazarus Pits not withstanding - looks like he could be the father of Nyssa.  As much as I adore Paul Blackthorne and John Barrowman in their roles on the show, they both are too young to be fathers to their character's children.  Susanna Thompson, Jamey Sheridan and (I can't remember his name) the actor who played Yao Fei all were more believable in that aspect.

I think Oded could do it, but the make up dept would have to age him (not unlike what they did with PB, who looks his actual age now with the shaved head but easily looked older the past 2 seasons).  The parts I've seen him in on TV and movies have me as a fan.  This is a HUGE role for the show to deal with, so any casting will be done extremely carefully.

I have no idea if the show knew how long Manu Bennett would be on.  Whoever cast him as Deathstroke/Slade is a genius, because he handled all layers of the character beautifully.  And when the story made NO sense, he still got me to watch his scenes because of how he played the role.  As big as Deathstoke was in terms of the show, I think Ra's is that much larger - so the casting will reflect that.

I think casting Ted Grant will be a matter of finding a physical character who can handle the role AND who tests well with KC.  Good luck to whoever that may be.

I really hope that they don't use the Lazarus Pits and make Ra's al Ghul a younger guy - who could then be a potential love interest for one of the ladies on the show.  That would just make it too CW for me and completely diminish the Ra's al Ghul character.

• Love 2

Despite what Stephen said, I doubt the door is closed on Laurel/Oliver. Maybe this season but for the entire series? No, not buying it.

I'm not taking it as gospel, but Stephen isn't an idiot, so for him to have put it out there means there was probably some discussion about it which means the producers are open to not revisiting it again which gives me a glimmer of hope.

The only thing they could do to Laurel that would absolutely make me stop watching is put her back with Oliver again. That relationship is and always will be an unpleasant mess.

• Love 8

What I can't figure out is, other than wanting KC to be restored to "leading lady" status, why do Laurel fans want her back with Oliver in the first place? Nothing about that relationship makes any sense anymore, and it just drags both characters down. I'm glad it's dead. And better for the Lauriver fans to know now than to carry false hope for the next however many seasons. Besides, maybe she'll actually spark with Ted in a way she's never done with Oliver.

• Love 4
(edited)

That's why I said this season. I don't think he knows anything beyond this one.

Laurel/Oliver was only damaged for me in s2...and not permanently imo.

Oh, I think he probably knows a little more than that. He mentioned during his Nerd HQ that he spoke with the producers about the number of women Oliver slept with - they could've had a talk about his romantic future then.

IMO, the relationship was never good. I don't think they ever loved each other, and I think they romanticize their relationship and their time together. She wanted to be a society wife and wanted what came along with the Queen name, and he wanted someone who would look the other way when he behaved like an asshat. He's got at least one kid out there that was the result of his infidelity to her, who knows what else he did while he was with her? They were perfect for each other at the time. Now? Nah. I personally don't have any desire to see a repeat of any part of that.

I do think it would be good if they could be friends, though.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

After all the cheating, lies and Sara, I don't see why Laurel would even want him in her life. Now the baby to contend with. Sometimes there's just too much past weighing you down to make something good.

Besides that the two of them together looks bad all around. I lose respect for both Laurel and Oliver.

• Love 2

If Laurel has good Chemistry with her new love interest then Oliver officially will be the only man on the show she doesn't have a romantic chemistry with since she had a good one with Tommy too. This should put the lid on their relationship (or lack thereof) permanently cuz it will prove that they don't go well together. IMO

Here's hoping for a knock out Chem test and wishing KC all the best. Though just because Laurel's out of the picture doesn't mean that there weren't be other women...this is after all a Green Arrow adaptation. Right now I'm satisfied with the Felicity only policy for this season, future seasons are not something I'm thinking much on.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ra's Al Ghul's introduction was expected, but it's great to have it confirmed nevertheless. Unfortunately, the writing on this show has often not lived up to expectations - especially with some of the villain roles - so casting will be crucial.

I think the producers have described Ra's as more of a psychological villain with a great deal of respect and admiration for Oliver Queen. To me, that sounds as if he really might try to recruit Oliver to the League. Eventually, something big has got to go down to lead to an all-out war between Oliver and the LoA. Maybe it will be as simple as him turning down Ra's offer or maybe it will be him choosing to protect Malcolm Merlyn from the League. I just hope it won't be the tired and overused "death of a beloved" trope where Oliver/Team Arrow gets one of Ra's children killed.

Ra's arrival as the big bad and "alliances and loyalty" being one of the themes of this season doesn't make me feel too good about Sara's long term chances, though. If she chooses to stay loyal to Ra's and the League (even if it's just because of Nyssa), she will become the enemy. And if she chooses to fight on the side of Team Arrow or tries to overthrow Ra's, she will have betrayed him and the League for a second time and I don't think you can do that twice and expect to get away with it in the long run.

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 1

I don't understand the ire towards SA re: what he said, honestly if I had a favorite actor say they were uncomfortable doing romantic scenes with someone and then all of a sudden their story changes in a different direction where they will get more, hopefully, interesting things to do and they don't have to shoot scenes they've previously said are awkward, etc, I'd be happy for them. If I were a KC fan I'd be looking forward to her growing, becoming part of team Arrow, her new potential LI, not going around stating that SA should be fired or "shut up" when, quite frankly, KC herself is not too media savvy and has made some pretty awkward statements. In regards to the baseball statement, positions are earned, not just rewarded to who's been there longer, if a player goes from starting position and gets demoted to a bench player usually that's because something's not working and they need to step their game up or the team found another strategy and they have certain players on the bench that could be starters but sometimes are more effective coming out of the bench. From what I have seen of her, Willa Holland is extremely professional and a team player, she has done excellent work with the little she has been given, IMHO, she has earned a bigger role.SA is an excellent team captain and should be treated as such, he didn't say anything negative about KC or anyone else for fans to react the way they have.

I am really looking forward to the Thea/Malcolm storyline, I hope that since JB's role has increased we'll get more footage of the cast having fun such as in this video: 

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, I basically think that Sara's big role this season is to die at the end of it. 

Yeah, I didn't want to be as crass about it but I think so, too. If not at the end of season 3, then sometime in season 4 for sure. The lack of a series regular contract also alludes to that. I know regular contracts don't save anyone from dying, but the lack of one hints that the writers don't have any long term plans for the character, IMO.

Edited by strikera0

Yeah, I didn't want to be as crass about it but I think so, too. The lack of a series regular contract also alludes to that. I know regular contracts don't save anyone from dying, but the lack of one hints that the writers don't have any long term plans for the character, IMO.

I watched a TVLine interview with John Barrowman and he said the producers had to decide in December if Malcolm was going to be a series regular or not. I think the show could only add one regular (either Sara or Malcolm) because there is a limited amount of time/money, so they chose Malcolm. I don't think it means that Sara will die or that there are no long-term plans for her character. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I basically think that Sara's big role this season is to die at the end of it.

I think so too. I've resigned myself to it at this point. I'm going to enjoy Sara as long as we have her, and if she does survive the season I'll be delighted, but as strikera0 said, I don't see her getting out of the League alive a second time.

• Love 1

I think Oded Fehr would be perfect. I've seen him in several roles and he has the gravitas and chops to pull it off.  That said, I do have a soft spot for the actor that played Ashur on Spartacus too.

I hope he means romantic. This season (or half-season) I'd like a significant portion Oliver's screen time be about Thea.

You would think so. But the interviewer even said Thea and he said no, Felicity. The interviewer obviously didn't mean romantic relationship when she said Thea, but he said no, Felicity.

I also hope Thea and her brother get screen time. But I so look forward to daddy cray cray and Thea.

I really can't see Thea's storyline not intersecting with Oliver's though.

Usually when someone talks about a man/woman in their life, it's romantically speaking. I'm sure Thea will be a part of Oliver's story this season.

• Love 1
(edited)

True enough

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-stephen-amell-talks-season-3-flashbacks-including-someones-return/18115

One thing we are particularly excited about is that the second episode of Arrow Season 3, “Sara,” features the return of Colin Donnell’s Tommy Merlyn, but in flashback form.

“We’re shooting on Monday. I’m so excited,” Stephen Amell enthused in the Arrow press room on Saturday at the Comic-Con International in San Diego.

Amell didn’t linger on the subject of Tommy’s return much, but he did offer a quick hint of something we will see: “I see Tommy from a rooftop. And he’s talking to his dad,” he teased.

Interesting...I'll be honest, I kinda want Tommy to be resurrected at the end of the ep (or rather the reveal that he is resurrected).

Edited by wingster55
  • Love 2

As much as I ended up loving Tommy by the end of S1 and as much as I hated how they handled both that RIDICULOUS love triangle (which made me very antagonistic towards Laurel and Oliver) and his death, I don't want him resurrected in current time. With Tommy and Moira and Shado, we saw them die. Their deaths had consequences and rippling effects. If they just start bringing back every character who dies, there's no meaning to any of that anymore. They skirted this with Sara and especially with Malcolm - I get how Sara survived drowning (fishy but okay) but I need someone to explain at some point how Malcolm survived. And not the Lazarus Pits unless they want to make that a lot more scientific/medical in nature. Those island herbs are already enough 'magical cure' for me. I know we're dealing with superheroes but I need some believable things in that world too.

• Love 7

As much as I loved Tommy and hated that they killed him off.  I cannot stand the idea of character resurrections...i don't care if it happens all the time in the comics...different mediums, different rules for what's good story telling (IMO).

• Love 4

I'm not taking it as gospel, but Stephen isn't an idiot, so for him to have put it out there means there was probably some discussion about it which means the producers are open to not revisiting it again which gives me a glimmer of hope.

I can imagine the four of them talking about it (Stephen and the 3 EPs) and deciding that it's time to make a statement and Stephen's going to take the hit for it because he's the one who can recover most easily.

There are two ways the show could go:  either stay static like a procedural (L&O, NCIS) in which the male lead remains treading water and beating up bad guys; or grow Oliver as a person and develop him into a hero.  It seems like they want to take the second route (SA definitely does) and part of doing that is not bedding "the caravan of women" who come on to the show.  I'm surprised that he declared that it would be Felicity, at least for this season, but in terms of story telling as well as chemistry, she makes the most sense. 

Honestly, other than comics!, I can't think of a single reason why it would make the show better to have Oliver end up with Laurel.

I hope they find a Ted Grant who has decent chemistry with KC and give her a storyline she can do so her fans will be okay with it, and so that Sara will remain the Black Canary.  I know that if they had given a decent storyline and happy outside relationship to the female characters I've shipped with the lead that didn't work out (e.g. Cameron, Ziva, Hannah), I wouldn't have been nearly so bitter at the show.

In that clip, SA talks about Oliver becoming more honest with Thea so he was thinking romantic relationships, not personal ones.

ETA: I would love for Farhan Tahir to be Ra's al Ghul. He was Raza in Ironman and also played Osiris in Supernatural.

I love that idea. I was hoping for Alexander Siddig but he's got a new gig on Game of Thrones this season.

• Love 2

The thing is, IMO, Ra's is more than just a look. It wouldn't be hard to find an actor who looked the part, but he also needs to have a charisma and an intensity, both of which are off the charts. Ra's is the kind of guy who walks in the room where everybody is fighting and they stop for a minute to look at him. He speaks as if he is used to his word being obeyed. He doesn't need to show off or announce himself, he just IS. Of course that is just MY interpretation of the character, I wouldn't try to speak for any of you or the EP's.

As much as I loved Tommy and hated that they killed him off. I cannot stand the idea of character resurrections...i don't care if it happens all the time in the comics...different mediums, different rules for what's good story telling (IMO).

Totally with you...except if it were Moira. Long live the Queen.

• Love 2

I think the actor they choose as a lot of work cut out for them with Katrina Law bringing so much presence to Nyssa, they have to have even more than her to pull of being Ra's al Ghul. 

The thing is, IMO, Ra's is more than just a look. It wouldn't be hard to find an actor who looked the part, but he also needs to have a charisma and an intensity, both of which are off the charts. Ra's is the kind of guy who walks in the room where everybody is fighting and they stop for a minute to look at him. He speaks as if he is used to his word being obeyed. He doesn't need to show off or announce himself, he just IS. Of course that is just MY interpretation of the character, I wouldn't try to speak for any of you or the EP's.

Frankly there's no perfect casting for this character no matter who gets cast someone will say that's NOT Ra's...although I guess that's true of every character.

I wanted Alexander Siddig but he's now on GoT and Da Vinci's Demons (still?) so I doubt he has time to do Arrow.  Pedro Pascal really would be great but there's the age issue and I don't know if fandom will accept a Spaniard as Ra's (then again look at TDK).  

(edited)

I was just reading this article that comprises all relevant pieces of information that were revealed at the Arrow round table interviews and I was wondering if this part is supposed to be a joke:

1. Season 3 is all about identity. - Apparently, a number of characters will be questioning their identity. Guggenheim broke it down with each of the main characters and their identity questions:

Oliver - Can I be both Oliver and Arrow?

Laurel - Am I Laurel, or Am I my sister?

Thea Queen - Am I Thea Queen or Am I Thea Merlyn? Am I Malcolm Merlyn’s daughter or am I Moira Queen’s daughter.

Diggle - Am I a sidekick or am I my own man? Am I a crime fighter or am I a father?

Felicity - Am I Oliver’s crush object or do I have my own identity outside of that. Do I exist outside the lair?

What the hell?

Edited by shadow2008
  • Love 3

Some other relevant pieces of information from the article that I haven't seen posted yet:

3. Merlyn will be around a lot. - John Barrowman’s a series regular and Marc Guggenheim says he’ll appear in at least 18 episodes. But he’s not the big bad this season. “The fun of Season 3 and Malcolm’s presence in it is the unexpected ways that he’s injected into the story.”

8. Diggle may be setting a big example for Oliver in his personal life. - “Some of the things that Oliver wants to do, you’re going to see that happen with Diggle this season. Some of those balances of his personal life and this crusade, Diggle’s going to start doing this season. I think Oliver’s going to see some of what Diggle goes through and have to make some choices as well. It’s interesting. Both these men have problems forming these relationships."

10. Oliver’s team will be using A.R.G.U.S.’s resources.” - “In the second episode, the team immediately begins using A.R.G.U.S. resources,” David Ramsay revealed.

14. They want to do a flashback story that reveals how Sarah met Nyssa al Ghul and became a member of the League of assassins. From what Marc Guggenheim said, the idea would be to take Sarah from the shores of Lian Yu after the Amazo went down to when she becomes a member of the League of Assassins. “All of that is something we are absolutely determined to do, we just don’t know what episode it’s going to go in yet,” Guggenheim said.

19. Roy will be embarking on some solo missions to “see if he’s being told the truth.”- From what Colton Haynes told us about Roy, it sounds like he’s not trusting Oliver’s team so much this season, and they might not want to trust him either.

26. Oliver finds a new home. - Greg Berlanti says Oliver will find a new place to live “soon after” the first episode.

28. There’s going to be correspondence between Roy and Thea. — “And Malcolm’s going to find out about it,” Colton Haynes told us. Haynes was vague, but I get the sense that Merlyn’s not supportive of Thea’s relationship (or potential reconciliation with) Roy.

Felicity - Am I Oliver’s crush object or do I have my own identity outside of that. Do I exist outside the lair?

I certainly hope the latter gets explored for Felicity. I'm tired of people saying that she's a one dimensional character because she apparently has no social life, family, backstory, etc. It just makes me smh because even though we've seen Felicity be timid, brave, rambly, confident, be fiercely loyal and protective of the people she cares about, honest, dishonest (with Roy), she's a flat character... 

But then again, it's a lose lose situation because a lot of these people who say this are already saying that they're tired of Felicity being shoved down their throats, and how she's taking over arrow when she barely gets 5 minutes screentime. *rolls eyes*

• Love 4

I was just reading this article that comprises all relevant pieces of information that were revealed at the Arrow round table interviews and I was wondering if this part is supposed to be a joke:

Laurel: Am I Laurel or am I my sister?

What the hell?

Yes!! I just read this too! WTH does that even mean? The others make sense. Maybe a better way to phrase that is "Who is Laurel?"

For me, I don't even really need Felicity's backstory to make her a fully realized character because EBR has already done that.  It's icing on the cake for me. I never thought Felicity was only an object of love for Oliver. 

• Love 10
14. They want to do a flashback story that reveals how Sarah met Nyssa al Ghul and became a member of the League of assassins. From what Marc Guggenheim said, the idea would be to take Sarah from the shores of Lian Yu after the Amazo went down to when she becomes a member of the League of Assassins. “All of that is something we are absolutely determined to do, we just don’t know what episode it’s going to go in yet,” Guggenheim said.

So episode 2 is not about that? What is "Sara" about then?

(edited)

Laurel: Am I Laurel or am I my sister?

You are not your sister and you are not even Laurel.  You are adopted or the product of an affair between Dinah and some other guy not named Lance (or possibly switched at birth, as well).

Edited by SonofaBiscuit