Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Both are correct (my spell check tells me neither are incorrect at least), even as a Canadian I'm not 100% positive, but I do spell it as "toque". 

lol yeah I'm Canadian too I guess there are multiple spellings :) 

• Love 1
(edited)

Possibly an exercise in futility but I was looking through the DC comics database for "Donna" characters and I came across Donna Walker (Queen of Spades, Royal Flush Gang...DCAU...looks like she's from Batman Beyond).

Last season when they teased, Felicity's backstory being setup in S1, I locked onto the Royal Flush Gang...I know Arrow already did a version but it could work.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

tumblr_naqmhzCOZQ1sr6d2do1_400.jpg

Both KC & Willa have tweeted about their work out regimen and how they have packed the muscles but EBR does not say much. This photo was posted earlier today and it looks like she too has rather enviably toned arms. The cast probably hits the gym en masse.

Oh oh oh I have another theory for the "2 years in a making" comment by Stephen Amell. Could Oliver be taking the name "green arrow" cause like there was that scene in early season 1 where Malcolm proposed that name and Ollie called it lame and comic book fans have wanted him to go by green arrow since the show began.

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 3

Oh oh oh I have another theory for the "2 years in a making" comment by Stephen Amell. Could Oliver be taking the name "green arrow" cause like there was that scene in early season 1 where Malcolm proposed that name and Ollie called it lame and comic book fans have wanted him to go by green arrow since the show began.

Oh that's good..

Possibly an exercise in futility but I was looking through the DC comics database for "Donna" characters and I came across Donna Walker (Queen of Spades, Royal Flush Gang...DCAU...looks like she's from Batman Beyond).

Last season when they teased, Felicity's backstory being setup in S1, I locked onto the Royal Flush Gang...I know Arrow already did a version but it could work.

Wow, that's a great possibility - esp. given the Vegas location.  Ironic, if true, because Donna Walker was the Queen of the Royal Flush Gang ... and Oliver Queen ;) -- http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Queen_(Walker_Family)

Donna Walker was blonde and blue-eyed (like Charlotte Ross) and had a husband (King), a son (Jack) and a daughter (Melanie Walker, Ten).  Melanie was also blonde and blue-eyed, and her abilities were: security systems expert, and hand to hand combatant.

Ten was initiated into her life of crime at an early age, and as a consequence she had no friends and was constantly "uproot[ed] every few weeks". She eventually grew weary of her lifestyle, becoming the only malcontent member of the gang. Ten played a vital role in the team, as she was in charge of overriding the security systems of the places they robbed. Melanie Walker was notably less cold-blooded and ruthless than her father and was much more humane; she seemed gentle, empathetic, smart, level-headed, honorable, somewhat outspoken, reliable, and trustworthy enough.

Sound familiar? For additional information on Ten:  http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Melanie_Walker

EDITED TO ADD:  Even though they've already done the Royal Flush Gang on the show, there have been different versions of this gang in the comics.  Alternatively, the EPs could do their own version of the Walker Family's Royal Flush Gang and call it something else (since the EPs are not following the comics strictly).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

More than the fact the've already done a version of the Royal Flush Gang (cause we know that wouldn't stop them since they love to repeat stuff) the issue we'd have is the AWOL father and brother. Felicity couldn't have been a part of something like that when the dad was around or she'd have more memory of him.

I don't know. Her mother could have noticed Felicity's abilities with math (card counting) and computers (she's been building them since she was seven) and used those abilities to her own advantage. They could have been more a mother-daughter team? But I don't get the impression they had a lot of money so maybe Felicity 'helped' at a younger age and refused as she got older. That would fit her "My mother is my mother" line - maybe Mom is opportunistic and they clashed over that. It might also explain why she shows up in the present. She could be in financial trouble. Or if Donna is Donna Walker it could be more of an Easter egg along with the Vegas location. I could see both happening quite easily.

• Love 1

We've never heard Felicity mention that she doesn't have siblings, only that all she has now is her mom.  So they could add a brother or two (a much older one as the King) if they wanted to play with it.

Say "DC comics" and "Donna" to me, and I'm thinking of a girl in a red or sparkly black catsuit. Sadly, DC decided that my second favourite Teen Titan no longer exists in their crummy new universe. But I would hate for her to be brought into Arrow as Felicity's mother, so hopefully the name is unconnected.

Though, given how badly DC mangled Donna Troy back when they actually tried to write women as more than sexually available mannequins, I suppose I should be glad she doesn't exist any more.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think Donna Troy is the most recognized DC Comics "Donna" so everyone went there. I really don't see them making Mama Smoak into Donna Troy...if they did it would at most be an easter egg...like before she had Felicity she was a showgirl and her stage name was Donna Troy.

@DannyFranks - you hanging in there for S3?

Edited by Morrigan2575

I think Donna Troy is the most recognized DC Comics "Donna" so everyone went there. I really don't see them making Mama Smoak into Donna Troy...if they did it would at most be an easter egg...like before she had Felicity she was a showgirl and her stage name was Donna Troy.

@DannyFranks - you hanging in there for S3?

I'm also not sure that DC would ever okay the use of Donna Troy, given their apparent disdain for everything Teen Titans (except Roy fucking Harper, for some reason). But like I said, she's better off completely out of the clusterfuck that is DC comics at the moment.

As for Arrow, I doubt I'm going to watch season 3. I have no tolerance any more for 'will they, won't they' crap on television, and it seems like they're gearing up to go big on that, with Oliver/Felicity. And as I've said before, the typical clichés used to sustain such a narrative nearly always leave me disliking at least one of the characters involved (usually both). Plus, the cherry on top of that cake is Brandon Routh, who just brings back horrible memories of terribly mishandled 'will they, won't they' clichés on Chuck. For fourteen episodes too! No thanks.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

@Danny Franks I was going to argue that it's not really the will they/won't they trope but I looked it up and I'm surprised.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WillTheyOrWontthey

"Sometimes a Love Epiphany can be used to have a character realize his/her feelings, but still not resolve the question, just add a new dynamic to it." Only both admit feelings.

And

"Sometimes an attempt is made to introduce a new source of dramatic tension, but it is frequently cheesy and lame." Potentially Ray eventually but mostly Felicity being blown up at first.

Now I just feel like I know nothing about TV tropes. Excellent website though.

I'm willing to give the story a chance because I think/hope the EPs realise how lightly they have to tred with these two. I read somewhere it's not so much about Felicity having a new LI but whether or not she can have a LI that isn't Oliver and have it work out.

But I see what you mean.

Edited by ArrowLimbo
  • Love 2

@ArrowLimbo, I think that 'will they, won't they' has become a convenient catch-all phrase for all the elements of the trope. Most of the time, it's 'they will, but not for years', and the same shenanigans go on, over and over.

For me, the main appeal of Oliver/Felicity was the juxtaposition of their dispositions. Oliver the broody tortured soul, Felicity the innocent, cheerful, sunny girl. They made an interesting pair, and Felicity has always generally been able to bring out that lighter side of Oliver. She makes him smile, as I'm sure a thousand youtube videos will testify. But the whole romantic trope depends on angst and jealousy to get a reaction from the audience. What's the point of one character having a love interest if it doesn't affect the other (and I don't believe for one second that Felicity's relationship will just be about Felicity. The showrunners themselves have said they always look for "the Oliver in the story")? So for me, that risks changing the dynamic irreparably. Because instead of making Oliver smile, Felicity will be adding to his angst and his moodiness, by virtue of the 'I'm so noble I won't be with the girl I love because I can't be the guy she needs' nonsense. And in my experience, once a pairing becomes about what hurts they can inflict on one another, it never recovers.

The 'love triangle' in season 1 was only tolerable because it really wasn't a triangle. Oliver didn't seem to care what Tommy and Laurel were doing, and rightly so, because he was far too messed up to have a relationship, then. And he had more important things to worry about. But if the theme of season 3 is, 'maybe I can be happy', then juxtaposing that theme with, 'I love her but I can't be with her because reasons' just screams needless angst, to me. Oliver feels he can't be with Felicity, so hurts her. Felicity thinks he's not interested, so she gets with some other guy, hurting Oliver in the process. Then Oliver spends half his time being a jealous ass and the other half unwittingly making Felicity fall for him even more, which just leaves her confused and even more hurt. I've seen it before. Too many times.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7

Hmm but I don't think Oliver will hurt her purposefully. There will obviously be a serious conversation between the two in the first episode and I think all theories and hypotheses should be held until we hear them both out. For one SA said Oliver won't have any other love interests this season. So at least he won't bed hop (thank You Father).

But I'm totally with you with the great juxtaposition the two bring to the table. Indeed it's the reason I started hoping they get together: Felicity has the ability to make him smile. And they have no baggage between them. However, without spite or malice, Oliver did have a relationship right in front of Felicity during the farcical Sara arc and that could've created baggage because it made Oliver look selfish and insensitive (to Laurel) and nullified his little "because of the life that I lead" speech. I don't think it's so much Ray is going to turn into baggage for their light and free relationship, as they both have to see 1) what it's like giving it a go with a real competitor and 2) having to watch and come to grips with the fact that they can have a relationship in spite of the dangers.

But I totally get what you mean. I hope the writers and EPs have come to understand WHY Oliver and Felicity is such a charming couple, not because of the angsty, longing looks but because they would actually be GOOD together. I hope in this arc they don't lose the sweet nature of their relationship that draws one in.

Edited by ArrowLimbo
  • Love 4

Stephen Amell himself said that Oliver's a lot more smiley this season, so I wouldn't worry about him turning into a 24/7 ball of angst regarding Felicity. If only I could get my hands on that first ep to see what goes down. I need to see what this version of himself that he sees that scares him is (and per SA, causes some tension with Diggle), and I need to know what the conversation with Felicity is, and basically what I'm saying (again) is I NEED IT NOW.

• Love 2

Just think, apinknightmare, if there were no spoilers, you probably wouldn't be as angsty to see it as you are now.

As for the 'will they/won't they' thing, 'you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold em', know when to walk away, know when to run'.  I hate the trope with the fire of a thousand suns but Oliver isn't ready to be in a relationship yet and I rather he get ready than they get together, break up, spend time apart, get together... which is what MG threatened us with when talking about Oliver/Laurel as star-crossed lovers.  I think it's hopeful that there are more and more shows on television getting the couple together while the show is still running (Bones, Castle, Murdoch Mysteries) rather than after the show is either done or is declining (Remmington Steele, X-Files).

On top of Oliver not being able to be in a stable relationship now, I agree with AK that Felicity has to be given a real opportunity to choose between Oliver and another viable option, not just Oliver or nothing.  Or a guy in a coma.

I'll see how it turns out. I was ready to leave the show after the mess of s2B but they pulled it together at the end, so I'm see what they do now.

• Love 2

Me sad too.

It sounds like he doesn't see a role for Walter on Arrow now that Moira is gone.  #nomoiranowalter

I hope that's not what the EPs told him because I think as a recurring character, he could add a lot to the show.

That's too bad. I'm not all that surprised though. They didn't use him much last year either. He appeared, what, twice? Once to help Oliver save the company and then at Moira's funeral. It's too bad they couldn't have figured out a way to use him better.

That's too bad. I'm not all that surprised though. They didn't use him much last year either. He appeared, what, twice? Once to help Oliver save the company and then at Moira's funeral. It's too bad they couldn't have figured out a way to use him better.

He appeared in 5 episodes last season. 

Don't forget that he helped convince Moira to run for mayor, lmao

As for the 'will they/won't they' thing, 'you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold em', know when to walk away, know when to run'.  I hate the trope with the fire of a thousand suns but Oliver isn't ready to be in a relationship yet and I rather he get ready than they get together, break up, spend time apart, get together... which is what MG threatened us with when talking about Oliver/Laurel as star-crossed lovers.  I think it's hopeful that there are more and more shows on television getting the couple together while the show is still running (Bones, Castle, Murdoch Mysteries) rather than after the show is either done or is declining (Remmington Steele, X-Files).

I'll take "will they/won't they" over "break up/make up" any day, but I'd rather they do neither.  I'm hopeful the "will they/won't they" on Arrow will end this season after Oliver decides whether he can only be the Arrow or Oliver and the Arrow both. 

@statsgirl Do you watch Murdoch Mysteries?  I love that show, but I'm in the States, so I have to jump through hoops to see it and I am always at least a season behind.

• Love 1

Don't forget that he helped convince Moira to run for mayor, lmao

I did forget that (obviously - *facepalm*) - thank you for reminding me.

Wow. As much as I loved Moira and will miss her, neither of her storylines last season made any sense. :(

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
(edited)

It sucks but at the same time I kind of understand it. If this show was about Thea then I could see a continued use of Walter. They could do a Walter vs Malcolm storyline with Thea trying to pick between her "good" step-father and her "evil" bio-dad as part of her "Who Am I"? Story.

However, since the show is about Oliver, I imagine the EPs will want to limit the Thea story (to an extent) and bringing in the step-father who raised her and whom she loved will just be an added complication, especially since Malcolm had Walter kidnapped and held hostage for 6 months.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Oh God, I totally forgot that Malcolm had held Walter captive for so many months, I wonder what Thea would have to say about that considering how she hated her mother in season 1 when she thought she was cheating on Walter with Malcolm.

I think Walter has more legs than just in Thea's storyline.  A big part of this season will be Oliver trying to get back QC, which should involve banks and money and business advice. It's ridiculous that the person on the show with the best business credentials right now is Oliver or guest cast Ray Palmer.  (I'm leaving out Malcolm Merlyn since I don't think he's be offering Oliver advice any time soon.)

@MsSchadenfreude, good to meet another fan of Murdoch Mysteries. I've been a fan of the show since it first started, although my love was wore thin during the seasons she married Darcy for the most idiotic of reasons and then was stuck with him just to keep the OTP apart. I think it's got better since it moved to CBC so I hope you get to see this last season.  I"m looking forward to the next one.  

I'm really sorry to hear that Colin Salmon won't be returning to Arrow.  I think they could've come up with a great story about Walter being an old friend of Felicity's father or mother, and that's how she came to work at QC.  But I guess the EPs are too busy trying to inject as many DC characters into the show as soon as possible, before Gotham sucks them up.

• Love 2

Er... Does anyone else have a problem with Roy being on equal footing with Felicity and Digg?

Because while I do think Roy could be an interesting addition to the team, it rubs me the wrong way to see that someone so new can be just as important as Felicity and Digg. i wouldn't mind waiting an entire season to see Roy be on equal footing, because then I believe he'd earn it, but at the beginning of season 3? I think it's much too fast. 

Until I see and hear it said on the show, I'm not going to worry about that equal footing thing. It wasn't a direct quote from Marc Guggenheim, so I'm taking it as the interviewer's interpretation. And, it's Natalie Abrams (yeah, gonna have to get used to her being at EW) so I'm definitely taking it such from her. Marc's quote is just really about Roy having an episode focused on him.

• Love 2

But Roy's not on equal footing. He's being lied to about the cop killing. And there was an earlier spoiler that said Dig and Felicity weren't sure about Roy being totally miracured. That implies he's not completely trusted by the entire team. Not to mention Roy is not telling Oliver about Thea's letter, so again, another reason for distrust. None of that reads equal footing to me.

Also, I love Team Arrow as the Trio, but I really think the team WILL grow. They have a real chance to do some sort of Justice League thing here, and there's no way they're not gonna take full advantage of that. Which doesn't mean there won't be clear leaders and clear sidekicks, if only because chain of commands are pretty much necessary in dangerous missions. Someone needs to give the final orders, someone needs to have the last word. I doubt that will stop being Oliver, Diggle and Felicity anytime soon.

• Love 3

So according to MGs tweet, Ben Sokolowski and Brian Ford Sullivan wrote episode 5, QUICK! What are the episodes they have written? I want to know if they're one of the good writers :p 

Edited by wonderwall

According to IMDB, Ben Sokolowski wrote:

Damaged

Burned

Vertigo

Home Invasion

Identity

Keep Your Enemies Closer

Three Ghosts

The Promise

Streets of Fire

All in all, they're pretty strong episodes.  No idea which episodes Brian Ford Sullivan has written.

• Love 3

Arrow set, Davids child is older ( around 5 i think) and a boy. 

It seems the baby is in the lair/under Verdant.  I am so excited for this freaking episode. 

Bv6J1RiCcAAJFiX.png

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 3

Re: Daddy Diggle - I wonder if he and Lyla are into gender-neutral accessories, or if their baby is a boy? IIRC, the baby cast was a little girl, and we speculated that part of the reason the episode called "Sara" was named that was because some of us thought D&L might name their baby that. If that's a boy, guess not.

Either way, freaking adorable. I wasn't a fan of the thought of a baby in the lair until now - it has the potential to be adorable.

Okay, Oliver and Mama Smoak having scenes together is a complete win in my book.  This makes me happy.

Me too. I was hoping and praying that would happen. I practically did a dance in my chair when I saw Stephen's tweet. 

And that picture of Daddy Diggle and Uncle Oliver made my ovaries twinge a bit. So cute!