Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I want to qualify what I posted above.  While I like seeing more Felicity on the show and love that she's a regular cast member, I'm concerned that they're going to go overboard with her character and create a fan backlash.  At the same time, I didn't like seeing her and Team Arrow sidelined for so much of the back half of Season 2.  I realize it's a difficult balancing act when you have so many characters on the show.

• Love 2

They already admitted during the WB SDCC panel that they're using Felicity to link the two shows together. That, along with MG's "we're giving you Felicity in this episode because we love you" tweet answers the question as to whether she's being used to help prop up episodes/characters/shows. Showing more Laurel/Felicity interaction in the hopes the Arrow audience responds positively isn't much different than using a Barry/Felicity date to generate viewership for The Flash and to help Barry realize he loves Iris, IMO. I get why they're using her that way, but crossing my fingers they don't go overboard pushing things so they end up seeming artificial (i.e. no to Felicity and Laurel as best buddies).

• Love 1

I'm more curious than ever about this raw conversation now. We know Oliver encourages Felicity to visit Barry and we know Felicity and Barry go out on a double date with Iris and her guy. Seems to me like cute awkwardness in the making with Barry and Felicity. I think it'll be more of a friendly date than anything. Also-Barry's clasping Felicity's hand in that pic-for all we know he takes hold of it right as they hurry away for whatever reason. It's not like they're on a stroll with their fingers twined or anything.

I have no problem whatsoever with Felicity moving on if Oliver's not ready to commit or tells her he can't be with her. I'm just wondering what exactly he tells her (and what she tells him) that has it seemingly happening three weeks later.

Naively, I have faith that it'll make sense for the characters and the story since regardless of the hack job the writers have done on some of the other relationships on this show, I think they've handled O/F beautifully thus far (please don't let me be wrong about this).

• Love 6

Barry's cute, but isn't Wentworth Miller on this show. I'm just saying.

And Tom Cavanagh as well.  And he is a man!

I was thinking that maybe when Felicity is over in Central City with Barry, over on Arrow they could show Felicity in flashbacks to the few months that we are skipping over between season 2 and season 3.  They could show us Oliver falling harder for Felicity, speaking to Diggle about it, committing to ask her out on a date, etc.  In the present, we can see *sad* Oliver wishing that Felicity wasn't off with Barry and regretting that he had to push her away due to reasons.

ETA: That is an awkward looking photo of F/B holding hands.  It looks like he's pulling his grandma along behind him or something. "Come along now, Grandma." Ha!

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

I think the flashbacks in 303 are Thea's? Amell said so in one of the press room interviews from SDCC. I can't find the video right now, but this article mentions it: http://www.hitfix.com/news/arrow-star-stephen-amell-is-ready-for-his-iron-man-moment

Thea -- played by Willa Holland -- might as well be a new character, with her big familial reveal last season and a whiff of superhero action to come. Amell called Season 3 "Thea-centric," and said that she'll get her own flashbacks in episode three of the new year.

No idea what the 304 flashbacks will be, though. They only start shooting that episode next Wednesday. And 305 will have Felicity in MIT flashbacks. No idea if they'll have flashbacks to the 6 months between the two seasons, or if they'll cover that strictly in the Season 2.5 comics.

Edited by dancingnancy

How does she look good all the time...it might not be a spoiler but...those shoes and everything that's above them...can't really blame Barry for closing the distance. Damn it Oliver...how could you send Felicity to Central City looking like this?

And thank you

Edited by At Leisure
  • Love 3

IMO, Felicity has been pretty damn sexy from from day 1 IMO, be she in pink shirt and slacks and flat shoes with a ponytail, or in her slim fit dress as his EA.  And really Barry has nothing on Oliver IMO.  

I love Barry, he is the most adorable adorableness ever. I loved him on Arrow and I really think he being there in the final episodes would've been so fun. He would've changed the tone of the final few episodes IMO. BUT Barrles, Miss Smoak is waaaaaaay too hot for you.

#sorry#notsorry

So is GG holding EBR's hand or is Barry holding Felicity's?  It looks similar to Diggle (DR) holding out his hand to F/EBR in 2.21 as she descended stairs in heels.  Context is everything.

Love that the Spoiler Room is back!  I’ve been dying for information on Oliver Queen and Felicity Smoak on Arrow as its third season approaches. It sounds like their date blows up (literally?) and I’m wondering how this affects them for the rest of the season—both romantically and as teammates.  I think they’re a fabulous couple and I’m rooting for them to come out of this stronger, together, at the end. —Nancy

Hey, Nancy! Spoiler Room is happy to be back, and I fully understand your desire for Olicity scoop. I don’t have any specifics on their explosive first date, but it sounds like there’s something—or should I say someone—else who will play a bigger role in potentially hurting Oliver and Felicity’s relationship this year. Executive producer Andrew Kreisberg talked about how they cast Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer, and how one of the key things they loved was his chemistry with Oliver’s Girl Wednesday. “[brandon] actually did a chemistry test with Emily [bett Rickards] and we didn’t have any doubt [before], but when everyone saw that, the two of them just jumped off the screen together. It’s funny because we had a picture of Stephen, Stephen’s headshot, and we had Emily’s headshot, and there was a blank on the board. Once you put Brandon’s up there, you’re like, ‘Oh yeah, these are two guys.'” So perhaps we’re worried about the wrong type of explosion?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/08/spoiler-room-dallas-arrow-the-mindy-project/2/

I have to say now that I've seen that hand holding picture, it really is very sweet. Kind of like teenage sweethearts sweet. Also there's no context for it. He could have just been leading her somewhere or squeezing her hand in reassurance or something. I don't look at them and think chemistry and wow, they need to kiss which is what happens whenever Felicity and Oliver are in breathing distance of each other. There is no comparison. 

This really is a way of getting people to watch The Flash because Felicity is the best and also a way of helping the Barry/Iris situation. 

I'm also ok with Felicity dating someone else and trying to move on. I just hope they give her a little time to do so. I'd be more than happy if nothing happens with Ray until mid season. They can be flirting and he asks her out and she thinks 'why not?' I just think if Olicity both admit they love each other in 301, it just seems a little fast for her to start dating so soon. She can know deep down that she needs to move on with her life but that doesn't mean she'd necessarily be equipped to do so. These things take time. That's why mid season seems perfect to me. 

That said, the more I see these spoilers the more I think not much of anything will really happen with Ray and Felicity. I think there will be banter that leads to friendship and flirting and maybe even a few dates but I don't think it will be anything serious. He's only signed on for 14 episodes. How far could it go? Again this is just a catalyst for Oliver to get himself together. 

• Love 2

That said, the more I see these spoilers the more I think not much of anything will really happen with Ray and Felicity. I think there will be banter that leads to friendship and flirting and maybe even a few dates but I don't think it will be anything serious. He's only signed on for 14 episodes. How far could it go? Again this is just a catalyst for Oliver to get himself together.

I don't think it's going anywhere either. It makes no sense from a plot perspective...spend 2 seasons slowly building up Oliver and Felicity, have them go on a date, and then change course in 14 episodes of S3 so that the most popular female character ends up with the supporting player who isn't the title superhero who is meanwhile pining for her rather than going back to his usual parade of female sexual partners.  I don't think the die-hard shippers have anything to worry about.

• Love 2
(edited)

Looks like BR is currently signed on for 16 episodes. Not sure if the original report was wrong or they upped the episode count shortly after signing him

http://www.tvovermind.com/arrow/sdcc-2014-arrow-ep-marc-guggenheim-talks-character-themes-flashbacks-237781

Another version of the identity theme, once again Laurel's identity is tied to Sara. I honestly can't tell if they yhink this is the best way for Laurel to become BC. Are definitely planning on not going the BC route with Laurel and this is their way of killing that thread. Or if they figure if well everyone is bitching about Laurel taking Sara's life so why not tale the bull by the horns?

Edited by Morrigan2575

If the answer to Laurel's "am I me or am I my sister" question is "well, it turns out I am indeed me, and I don't wanna be my sister; instead I wanna do something else." then I'm gonna be pleasantly surprised. If Laurel = BC because of Sara -- be it copying her, or avenging her after she's dead -- then I'll keep being bored to death by Laurel.

• Love 1

Oh it's 16 episodes. Ok. But what we need to remember is that Ray's character isn't just there as a potential LI for Felicity. He's there  as a professional foil for Oliver too. So I don't see all of his episodes being tied up in a love story that never really goes anywhere. He's gonna be with Oliver a few times too. I really don't think anyone has anything to worry about. I've said it before, Ray Palmer is a foil and nothing more.

Also, the more I read about Laurel the more concerned I am. Why does her identity have to be tied to Sara? It's ridiculous! 

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Ray only showed romantic interest in Felicity during Sweeps episodes. But yeah, I can see how he serves a multiple purpose. Without Moira and Isabel, they needed to hire someone if they wanted to keep QC relevant to the story. Plus, 1. Oliver needed a foil/antagonist that is not a villain. 2. I have a feeling they'll be trying to come up with a version of the Justice League sometime in the future, and having a bunch of heroes around with different skill sets is the way to do that.

Edited by dancingnancy

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Ray only showed romantic interest in Felicity during Sweeps episodes. But yeah, I can see how he serves a multiple purpose. Without Moira and Isabel, they needed to hire someone if they wanted to keep QC relevant to the story. Plus, 1. Oliver needed a foil/antagonist that is not a villain. 2. I have a feeling they'll be trying to come up with a version of the Justice League sometime in the future, and having a bunch of heroes around with different skill sets is the way to do that.

MTE! That's the time I see things starting properly. I'm looking forward to seeing how Oliver deals with having a foil that isn't evil. His go-to way of dealing with things is to be all grrr Arrow-y but he won't be able to do that with Ray, unless something Ray does puts Felicity in danger and then all bets are off lol! 

Good for Felicity.  I hope she has fun with Barry in Central City including kissing him if that's what she feels like doing.  She's single, she can do what she wants. Although I think it's pretty obvious this is just closure on any potential Barry/Felicity relationship and nothing more.  And until Felicity sleeps with brothers or has a one night stand with some guy who also slept with her mom, nothing she does with any guy with come close to annoying me as much as Oliver's romantic shenanigans have repeatedly done.

Word!

Guggenheim:  Every other character on the show is dealing with some question of identity. Who am I, what am I, what am I doing? Let me give you an example: Detective Lance who is now Captain Lance has basically taken a desk job and he is like “If I can’t be a cop the way I used to be a cop, what am I?” He is dealing with identity. Laurel is going to be dealing with this question of identity as she tries to walk the path that her sister walks. Is Thea Malcolm Merlyn’s daughter or Moira Queen’s daughter? Who is she? Diggle: “am I a sidekick, am I my own man?” Felicity: “do I have my own identity?”

I understand what he's trying to say (I think) but while it really works for Quentin and Thea, who have had huge life-changing events happen to them at the end of last season (Quentin was injured too badly to stay in the field and has a desk job now), if you were to ask Felicity or Diggle those questions, I'm pretty sure that Diggle will tell you he's nobody's sidekick, and Felicity will tell you exactly who she is before he walks awayu and she messes up your credit rating.

I hope they have a good explanation for why in the world Laurel would even think of walking in her sister's path.

If BR is booked for 16 episodes, then he'll probably stil be around for May sweeps since he may not be in all of them. I wonder if The proto-Atom is going to help Oliver take down the Big Bad.

It's hard to believe there are still 2 months to go before the season premier.

Edited by statsgirl

TVO: Even better! So now that we have that question out of the way, will there be any flashbacks to Ray Palmer perhaps because we saw a little sign in a recent Flash trailer about Palmer Industries is perhaps going to appear there. So will there be flashbacks to him since he is now going to be a very big character in the Arrow universe?

Guggenheim: He will be and we have talked about maybe doing a flashback oriented episode [for Ray].

TVO: Like The Odyssey?

Guggenheim: [thinks] we are definitely going to do an episode around the middle of the year like we typically do like “The Odyssey”, like “The Promise” where it’s mostly flashbacks as opposed to mostly present day We will probably do that centered around Oliver in Hong Kong. But one thing that we did a little bit, once in season 1 and we had success with that so we kept doing it more and more in season 2 and we had a lot of success with that.

And that was to do non-Oliver centric flashbacks or non-Island [centric flashbacks] and now non- Hong Kong centric flashbacks. We are going to do more and more of those and surely Ray is fair game. We have talked about flashing back to the night of the siege which was the season finale and seeing those events from a different perspective and that may include Ray.

Read more at http://www.tvovermind.com/arrow/sdcc-2014-arrow-ep-marc-guggenheim-talks-character-themes-flashbacks-237781#TGsdL1OI96xtQYZO.99

Ugh this really annoys me. I thought this season will be more intimate. Not give every guest star a flashback episode. We only had to wait like 3 seasons for some regulars to get flashbacks ...

• Love 4

Hopefully it's nothing like "The Promise" because I wasn't a particular fan of that. Seriously these guest stars getting so much screen time. I'm not sure the EPs understand the difference between guest star and recurring character. Sara was a guest star and I got a whole bunch of her, now Ray is a guest star.

If I end up knowing a bunch more about small, shrinking man than Felicity and Diggle, tables will be flipped.

• Love 5

I honestly think The Promise is one of the worst episodes the show has ever done. The present day scenes are mostly fine, barring the inappropriate zoom-ins on Sara and Felicity and their bad line deliveries in those scenes, but the stuff at the mansion was fun. The flashback portion of the episode, aka most of the episode, did nothing for me. We already knew pretty much everything that happened so it had little dramatic impact for me, and while the action was well directed and staged that doesn't really do anything for me considering every other week Arrow has fun stunts and better and more surprising storylines.

All the Olicity spoilers are doing nothing for me. I just can't get on board with any Oliver Queen ship. Oh well.

Edited by manbearpig

All the Olicity spoilers are doing nothing for me. I just can't get on board with any Oliver Queen ship. Oh well.

I feel the same. I am aware that this is the minority opinion on this board, but the Olicity love fest at SDCC coupled with some of the filming spoilers we've gotten lately have me deeply concerned that the Olicity/Ray drama is going to get focused on for much of the season while most of the other storylines might get short shrift and will only be superficially explored in an episode or two. That might be great for the shippers, but I hope the producers haven't forgotten that there are many people in their audience who are watching Arrow for reasons other than Oliver Queen's love life.

Edited by shadow2008

I actually don't think it will be focused on as much as the spoilers say. They haven't breathed a word on really any of the other storylines for season 3, and there's so much happening. Romance has never been Arrow's strong suit, and as much as I want real development from Oliver and Felicity, it's a superhero show. That's why I'm a little annoyed/concerned that Mr Guest Star will have seemingly more than one flashback. Sigh we need to reevaluate what guest star means.

• Love 2

Now that we know that Arrow has the rights to Ra's al Ghul, just how far are the other League characters from appearing in Arrow. It will be really weird if Talia al Ghul doesn't make an appearance on Arrow, say by Season 4, since she won't be on the silver screen and most probably not in the Gotham TV Series. I think they already have the right to Lady Shiva and we might see her appearing sometime. But I would really like Talia to appear. She's such a popular character and the character is not going to be utilized in the movie or any other TV series, so it makes perfect sense for her to appear when the war takes place against LOA.

And according to Andrew Kriesberg, they wanted Harley Queen to be on Arrow but DC had other plans for her so the "deranged female prisoner" was a compromise offered by Geoff Jones. Now we know that she will appear on Gotham since she has been teased along with Joker.

Edited by abhi

All the Olicity info released thus far has served to a) reel in some people who felt like they'd been tricked by the finale, and b) get the loudest group of fans talking and excited about the show. All we really know is that Oliver and Felicity love each other, they go on a date, and it's over by the end of the first episode. The producers have managed to create a spectacular amount of buzz without giving away hardly any information (all while tempering the expectations of that group of fans), which is, I'm sure, every show's dream. Oliver and Felicity generated a ton of buzz last year considering their "moments" amounted to three or four minutes *tops* every few episodes - and there were quite a few where they barely interacted at all. Yes, it seems like Oliver's feelings for Felicity are going to be the impetus for some personal growth this season, but I think it'll be part of the theme for the season, not the main story for the season.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about Olicity/Ray drama overtaking the show. I'd bet the majority of the Ray angst is going to come from him taking over Queen Consolidated and setting his sights on Applied Sciences (and his interest in Felicity professionally - we really don't know how much of a love interest he'll even wind up being). The producers give away so much relationship information because it's a relatively small part of the show and it has the most ravenous/vocal fans. It's the easiest give/take there is - a win/win situation if there ever was one.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 13

I am beginning to hate flashbacks. I got some were necessary in season 1 to set things up, but I didn't want to continue spending half or more of the season in the past and on the island and I am not looking forward to spending half or more of the season in Hong Kong. I already KNOW Oliver Queen is a badass with a bow, I don't need to see episode after episode of him very slowly turning into the character he is now, which is the one I actually want to watch.

• Love 4

I am beginning to hate flashbacks. I got some were necessary in season 1 to set things up, but I didn't want to continue spending half or more of the season in the past and on the island and I am not looking forward to spending half or more of the season in Hong Kong. I already KNOW Oliver Queen is a badass with a bow, I don't need to see episode after episode of him very slowly turning into the character he is now, which is the one I actually want to watch.

Exactly, especially since we already pretty much know what we needed to know.  Idc about him being in HK.

Yeah, I don't for one second think that soap opera romance or 'The Felicity Smoak Diaries' will be taking over the show. For one thing, it doesn't get more soapy than S1's love triangle or the sister drama of S2. I actually saw someone tweet "Arrow or Days of Our Lives? I can't tell" during Time of Death last season, and it made me laugh because it was so true. We will never get away from romance entirely - romance is a part of most comic stories and movie or TV adaptations, and it's certainly a part of many TV shows. I don't think we can judge because of the spoilers. If they wanted to tease Hong Kong, Ra's, Thea/Malcolm, or Laurel/Sara/BC news, they would. Clearly they want to sit on those details, so they're spoiling smaller bits they know will generate buzz and free advertising. I want to know about those things too - Thea has never been a favorite character, but that's rapidly changing. I freaking love Ra's and LoA stories in comics, so I'm excited about that. But it doesn't make me any less excited about Felicity's story. The girl should get a diary entry here and there - everyone else has.

As for Ray Palmer and his 16 episodes, I doubt that translates to him being a big part of each of those episodes. I swear I barely remember Isabel in around half of her episodes. I agree that I don't care to see his flashbacks though. They should save that for regulars and Oliver and if they don't have a flashback story to tell one week, just don't do one. Use the extra time for character development in the present. Some of the flashbacks last season seemed pointless because little was happening.

• Love 5

My take on them upping BR's episode count to 16 means that while they were working out the story, they realized that they needed more time to sell it? So instead of rushing through this story and then starting another one that had little build up they are just telling one longer story. I hope this means that they learned their lesson from last year. Hopefully it also mean that they have a plan for Ray Palmer and that they most likely won't be deciding half way through the season if he is good or evil like they apparently did with Isabel and Sara in season two. 

As for the show becoming the "Olicity Show" I'm wondering what else there is about that relationship that they haven't already spoiled? It seems that most of the spoilers so far are about them, meaning that all of the other storylines are being kept under wraps. We've barely gotten anything on Thea and Malcolm, and that's probably on purpose. They want to keep that storyline a secret, so they might be trying to play up the olicity stuff to keep a large a part of the fandom talking about it (both those for the ship and against it) so that when the Malcolm and Thea stuff does happen it can be a surprise. I'm not even sure if this is making sense (I haven't had a full cup of coffee yet today) but basically if you keep people talking about A, then they will probably miss B and you can slip it in and surprise the audience. Which is what I assume some shows want now that the online fandom knows about a lot of what is going to happen before it does thanks to spoilers. 

Seriously. Plus, the way they edit them in, a lot of times it takes the tension right out of the current events, because the storyline keeps getting interrupted to go back to the past. We already know Oliver lives through whatever, so...

• Love 1

I get they feeling that they are proud of their flashbacks and it was a good effect in terms of the show and the parallel Olivers (as one becomes a cold-blooded killer, the other is regaining his humanity).  But by the middle of s2, the flashbacks were overdone since we already knew almost everything that happened in them and that added to the Lance Family Drama (including Quentin and Dinah) plus the lack of Diggle, Felicity and even Roy really weakened the show.

So I'm glad they're acknowledging that it's time to get flashbacks on characters other than Oliver, His Women and His Foes.  (Although if Ray Parker gets a flashback before Felicity does, I will be really pissed off.  The only regular characters who haven't been in flashbacks at all are Felicity and Thea and while I understand that it might be hard for Willa Holland to play a 12 year old, there's little excuse for the lack of Felicity two seasons in..... another reason why I don't think Olicity and Felicity will take over the show, because they use her as a grace note rather than a riff, ) 

I don't think anyone needs to worry about Olicity/Ray drama overtaking the show. I'd bet the majority of the Ray angst is going to come from him taking over Queen Consolidated and setting his sights on Applied Sciences (and his interest in Felicity professionally - we really don't know how much of a love interest he'll even wind up being). The producers give away so much relationship information because it's a relatively small part of the show and it has the most ravenous/vocal fans. It's the easiest give/take there is - a win/win situation if there ever was one.

And the date stuff is the easiest to spoil without really spoiling anything big, it's not about Count Vertigo or Ra's, the big villains of the season, it's not about how Oliver copes with Hong Kong and only minimally about how he deals in the present since they're done by the end of the first episode. 

Ray taking over QC and Ray working his way to becoming a vigilante will probably be much bigger than Ray being Felicity's love interest.

• Love 3

We've barely gotten anything on Thea and Malcolm, and that's probably on purpose. They want to keep that storyline a secret, so they might be trying to play up the olicity stuff to keep a large a part of the fandom talking about it (both those for the ship and against it) so that when the Malcolm and Thea stuff does happen it can be a surprise.

I hope that this is the case. The way Barrowman talks about it has me all hyped up. I'm all for the Team Arrow Show, but the romantic stuff isn't handled well so I'm fine with the dating spoilers being a bait-and-switch for the meatier storylines. There is a lot of ground to cover in terms of growth for these characters, and I'd like to see some deeper exploration of that and not just plot puppetry and face smooshing.

Also we haven't seen Roy's flashbacks and there are tons of possibilities with his back story. We know that a character from his past is coming this Season so hopefully that will lead to his flashbacks of some sort. My take is that Chesire will be coming back in Roy's life, now that we know that he will be getting a new love interest.

Now that I think about it, all the female on this show (except Felicity ) are good at physical fights or are going to be good at fighting and stuff in the future.

Edited by abhi

I feel like i'm the only one who actually likes the flashbacks. I feel like they are an important part of the show. as @statsgirl said they are to show us the progression and reversion (is that even a word?) of oliver from Ollie queen to hood to Oliver/Green Arrow (eventually). I enjoy seeing this loss and regain of his humanity. it's story we rarely see in shows, we usually don't see how it happened, but rather are told that it happened. are all the flashback awesome piece of acting? no. but Arrow is.. arrow, it's a CW show, with a good strong cast. but.. it's no West Wing or Mad Men (and even those had their weak moments).

BTW Statsgirl: i believe episode 5 is the felicity flashback episode- even if it probably only gonna show her MIT days. Diggle episode last year(?) only showed his army days.

I also don't mind Ray Palmer getting a flashback episode. there are 23 episodes a season, as i said before i would bet my entire fortune that 85% of the storyline stuff we hear about will be a one episode, tops two, things. i doubt we'll see palmer for more than a handful maybe two minutes in any of the episodes he is in. so no it doesn't bother, just as it didn't bother me when we got lance flashbacks (which were really Sara flashbacks) even though she wasn't technically a cast member; we'll probably get a second Sara flashback episode and again it doesn't bother me, even though she's technically a recurring role, she's a major character who influences events (same as Ray Palmer will) so....

Looking forward to the Thea Malcolm stuff.

And repeating my previous post: not bothered in the least by the Barry Felicity stuff on Flash.

I wouldn't like them to completely do away with the flashbacks.  I need a certain of amount of pre-Arrow Oliver in the show along with some of his stupid decision-making skills and really bad hair.  I'm actually excited for Hong Kong. I want to see Maseo school Oliver that while he may have gotten stronger and learned to fight on the island, he doesn't know everything yet.  Waller isn't my favorite, but I don't mind her either.  As for non-Oliver flashbacks, I actually hope we get some for Felicity, Roy, Thea and Malcolm.  I've seen more than enough of the Lance family flashbacks though, so no need to show me anymore of them.

• Love 6