Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I don't think they ever stated Ray won't be the Atom. However, there has been so much of late it's possible I missed an article or interview saying he won't be Atom.

Also, don't know if it's been posted here but AK confirmed on twitter that Felicity's episode is 305 not, 304. Not sure if that means Oracle is 305 or 304 and 305 has a different title. I know Berlanti said 305 in an interview but the Arrow panel made it sound like 304.

Edited by Morrigan2575

But didn't the EP said Ray is just Ray and will not assume the Atom role while on the show.. or at least through most of his run in it?

or maybe i'm confusing it with something someone said on the forums..

I'm not sure anyone's ever really said. Although unless they alter his powers a bit, I'm not sure how they could really have him be Atom on this show since the budget seems to be so tight.

But didn't the EP said Ray is just Ray and will not assume the Atom role while on the show.. or at least through most of his run in it?

or maybe i'm confusing it with something someone said on the forums..

Oh, I don't know. I must have missed something if that's true. But it doesn't really add up though. Why bring on a character with a superhero story if you're not going to make use of it in some way? They could have just made up a random character to be Felicity's LI and nothing more. I assumed they chose Ray/The Atom because he has two sides to his character just like Oliver is Oliver Queen and The Arrow. The parallels are too much to be a coincidence, particularly when I've read that he only wants to buy QC because of the Applied Sciences Division and something about being very secretive about what he plans to do with it.

The only way I see him not really being The Atom very often (maybe we'll only see that side to him once or twice) is because I don't know how they'd do those kinds of special effects needed for his character.

Edited by Angel12d

I don't expect we will see him shrinking down and solving crime but I think they will be working on something that relates to the shrinking power, maybe applying it to technology or some other kind of biological innovation.  I do expect him to end up playing hero at some point.  Maybe using a gadget or maybe having the inclinations and then leaving the show and becoming the incredible shrinking guy off screen like they did with Barry.  They wouldn't have to if they played it right ever show his shrinking ability or maybe they scrap that aspect of his powers and focus on other parts of his abilities. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

He's interested in QC's Applied Tech division. That suggests he'll be wanting to work on something scientific or technological.  Since he's a vigilante rival of Oliver's, as well as a business and romantic one, maybe he's started on his vigilante road but found he needs better technology to do it.  No need to start shrinking yet.

If they wanted to be cheap they could have him fight crime or whatever fairly easily, since he'd be tiny, by having people be knocked around as if they are fighting someone invisible.

Saw this Karl Yune Tweet

"@angiegogo your in the theatre, I'm by the food, @caitylotz is in Miami. Were all over the place"

So will we see him in the present too? Because as far as I remember flashbacks are shot in one day and on that day only flashbacks are shot. He has already interacted with Emily and Caity so there is a possibility that we see him in the present or it might be that I am reading too much into it.

Edited by abhi

I think the EPs just love bringing in comic book characters onto the show - and they love origin stories.  Otherwise, how coincidental that both the Atom and Wildcat come to Starling City (and become love interests of two major female characters)!  They may not show their fully developed superhero personas on Arrow.  Maybe they're testing out possible spin-offs - like the Flash, the powers don't show up until the character goes off on his own spin-off show.

This is kinda interesting (nothing new, though)...

10 Things We Learned From Arrow’s Season 3 SDCC Trailer
http://whatculture.com/tv/10-things-learned-arrows-season-3-sdcc-trailer.php

It wouldn't be the first time a comic character was brought on and didn't become their alter ego, Kate Spencer never became Man Hunter.

Given Ray's 14 episode arc and Tatsu is listed as potentially showing up in present day Starling, I think these two probably will end up as some version of their alter egos.  I'm not so sure about Ted Grant actually being Wildcat but I guess we'll see what they have planned for the character once we get more information.

I like it when actors show enthusiasm for their roles.

Charlotte Ross @charlotteross  ·  Aug 1

THANK YOU for the unbelievable welcome & love from all the @CW_Arrow #fans! ❤ I'm extraordinarily touched & humbled... #MamaSmoak #BestFans

Charlotte Ross ‏@charlotteross   ·  Aug 1

I am SOO honored & excited to join the AMAZING show @CW_Arrow & be the #Mom of the beautiful @EmilyBett ❤#MamaSmoak http://tvline.com/2014/08/01/arrow-season-3-charlotte-ross-cast-felicitys-mother/

https://twitter.com/CW_Arrow

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Karl Yune and Charlotte Ross seem to be joining Brandon Routh in showing their enthusiasm on social media - nice to see!

It wouldn't be the first time a comic character was brought on and didn't become their alter ego, Kate Spencer never became Man Hunter.

I think the show has consistently shown that they will Arrow-cize any DC character that comes onto the show.  I'm fine with it by now.  I've been pleased with many of the choices, a bit underwhelmed with a few. 

I'm curious if Ted Grant will take on the Wildcat persona on the show. I think it could go either way at this point. If they had made him 50+ years old, I would have said "No way!" because it would have looked rather silly for such an old guy to suddenly turn into a superhero. Maybe the writers decided to make the characrter younger because it opens more opportunities for him. Not just as a love interest, but as a vigilante in his own right. Maybe the first time Laurel goes out in the field as a costumed vigilante, it will be with Ted as her partner-in-crime.

"The lair is going to get a little complicated"

I hope the complications don't stretch out for super long.

MG's interview is mostly the same but he does indicate Ted Grant is a reoccurring character rather than a one off.

If they had gone the older guy route, they probably would have had Ted Grant be a vigilante in his past. Oliver probably isn't the first person to put on a funny suit and fight crime.

Edited by KirkB

Ha. I love that that TV Line article on Mama Smoak pimped Kassie dePaiva as new Eve, when there really was no reason to mention that. They are big soap fans.

Since he's a vigilante rival of Oliver's, as well as a business and romantic one, maybe he's started on his vigilante road but found he needs better technology to do it.

Ray's perfect because he functions as a rival in *every* respect,I mean we definitely don't need to see him literally become The Atom, but his vigilante bent and his desire to leverage the AS division to accomplish it should be a big part of the story I'd think. Honestly it's the biggest benefits to doing comic book driven shows, instead of blowing through too much story for your main cast you can always do one offs about various and sundry villians and hero's throughout a given labels canon, or uses their stories as significant parts of any single season arc, which is what I think they are doing with Ray, he's there to factor in the fight with Ras and along the way he'll romance Felicity and aggravate Oliver. 

• Love 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYUmhtoyAq4

IMO this is the (i want to say) final nail in the coffin for Laurel getting the 'Canary Cry' as AK says that they're going to ground the Arrow again into reality instead of one filled with superpowers.  

I can't watch the interview, but Laurel getting the Canary Cry would be stupid anyways. I mean, what are the odds that she would develop a superpower that closely resembles her sister's sonic device? 1 in a trillion?

That being said, if they ever did go the meta human route with her character, they wouldn't necessarily have to do it on Arrow. They could send her to the Flash for a cross-over episode and she could get "infected" over there.

Edited by strikera0

I guess we shall agree to disagree :) What with the leathers mixed with fishnets, it just screams 'adult sexytimes videos' to me :p

But I do agree that it's impractical. I mean, what would prevent BC from getting a cut (which will lead to blood dripping on the floor, which would lead to someone trying to figure out whose it is, etc.) Honestly, fishnets don't protect the legs properly. I don't care how 'hot' it looks. 

I'm also happy that Sara wore boots instead of heels/stilettos. We all know how impractical that would be. 

• Love 4

Impractical? Absolutely. But putting aside the fact the real reason is they are easy to draw, on a real person I figure the fishnets would be for the same reason her breasts are half on display (which is also impractical), to distract most of the men and at least some of the women she fights.

I think Sara's outfit was a compromise, they got rid of the leotard, fishnets and stilettos. but kept the corset for the cleavage. Because we can't have a woman be all covered up like most of the men super heroes. 

• Love 2

Kate Spencer didn't become Manhunter on the show so this guy may not either. In fact the number of potential vigilantes we're getting this season is a bit silly now - Laurel a potential Black Canary, Ray a potential Atom, Ted a potential Wildcat & now Mark a potential Manhunter.

Yeah, I doubt this guy will be a full-fledged Manhunter. I could certainly be misjudging him, but the actor is almost 50 years old and while handsome, he doesn't exactly look like superhero material. Most likely, he will be playing an ARGUS agent who is operating under the codename 'Manhunter'.

Edited by strikera0

Wow. There are a lot of names coming onto the show. I hope they can juggle it all. Let's think about this. In S3 there is:

1) Olicity stuff, Oliver struggling with two identities

2) Ray Palmer/The Atom and his dealings with Felicity and QC

3) Daddy Diggle, H.I.V.E and ARGUS

4) Laurel and Ted Grant, maybe (probably) starting her journey to BC

5) Sara and her associations with LoA and Nyssa

6) Roy becoming Arsenal, struggling with life post-Mirakuru

7) Thea and Malcolm arc

8) Ra's al Ghul

9) And now Manhunter

And top of all that we have the Hong Kong flashbacks. Wowsa. I have faith that the balance should be good but that's a lot when you lay it out like that!

"The lair is going to get a little complicated"

I hope the complications don't stretch out for super long.

I'm all for shaking up the lair a bit but I hope it doesn't go on too long either. I am all about Team Arrow. It's the most important relationship on the show for me. 

• Love 1

9) And now Manhunter

And top of all that we have the Hong Kong flashbacks. Wowsa. I have faith that the balance should be good but that's a lot when you lay it out like that!

I'm all for shaking up the lair a bit but I hope it doesn't go on too long either. I am all about Team Arrow. It's the most important relationship on the show for me. 

I don't think the Manhunter thing is going to figure too prominently. From the sounds of it he's just an ARGUS agent who shows up in ep 3 - I don't think there will be an ongoing story with him.

http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-season-3-ep-andrew-kreisberg-on-oliver-and-felicity-and-their-date

This is latest interview that came out from SDCC. While Andrew Kriesberg talked all about how they thought it was but inevitable that Olicity would happen, I am very very glad that he categorically said that there would be no relationship with Amanda Waller in the flashbacks, which is great because that would have been the worst thing EVER!.

Edited by TanyaKay
  • Love 6

^ That news is good, but I actually assumed as much from the trailer. Their relationship is too antagonistic in a you're making me do horrible things you psycho woman way.

Do you think that would actually stop Oliver? I'm just glad there's going to be at least one woman that Oliver hasn't slept with, it was getting a little ridiculous.

Edited by drspaceman10
I am very very glad that he categorically said that there would be no relationship with Amanda Waller in the flashbacks

Yeah, but no relationship doesn't necessarily mean there couldn't be sex.

Edited by KirkB

http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-season-3-ep-andrew-kreisberg-on-oliver-and-felicity-and-their-date

This is latest interview that came out from SDCC. While Andrew Kriesberg talked all bout how they thought it was but inevitable that Olicity would happen, I am very very glad that he categorically said that there would be no relationship with Amanda Waller in the flashbacks, which is great because that would have been the worst thing EVER!.

Season 3 is also going to introduce Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer, who is a potential love interest for Felicity. "I will say that Emily read with Brandon for the part, so that is something we're exploring too, and as always with these things, it's a rocky road and there are complications and changes and obstacles," the EP revealed. "I think some people will get what they were looking for and other people will shake their fists. As always, we just do what feels like the next right step."

Sentences like this always make me nervous.

While I am relived that an Oliver/Waller hookup doesn't appear to be in the cards, I am now even more worried that he will get involved with Katana instead and I would find that even worse. Please, there has got to be a member of the Birds of Prey that Oliver doesn't have sex with.

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 2

Season 3 is also going to introduce Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer, who is a potential love interest for Felicity. "I will say that Emily read with Brandon for the part, so that is something we're exploring too, and as always with these things, it's a rocky road and there are complications and changes and obstacles," the EP revealed. "I think some people will get what they were looking for and other people will shake their fists. As always, we just do what feels like the next right step."

Yeah, me too. I think s3 is gonna be tough to watch sometimes. I don't really want Felicity to have a LI but I see why they're doing it that way. It's stalling for now, at least I hope it is! 

It feels like there is way too much going on already and the show hasn't even started yet. 

I was hoping they'd learn their lesson with having way too many storylines going at once and trying to cram in every DC character they can. From the spoilers so far it doesn't look like it.

• Love 6

I think they are just making every new age appropriate male cast member to read with Emily because Emily is a gold mine and if they want a character to click, they would pair that one up with Emily - even if they do it for a couple of episodes or they do it in a non romantic way. I think they are gonna cement Roy's place in the lair as a team mate with some banter with Felicity to make him more likeable.

they are still in the process of writing later episodes so we do not really know if anything with Routh's character would happen. I suspect that there would be a lot of banter, I am not sure if there would be an actual adult relationship.

"I think some people will get what they were looking for and other people will shake their fists. As always, we just do what feels like the next right step."

Usually me too, but I really thought the "will shake their fists" part was a direct answer to the journalist who had said she preferred Oliver and Felicity as just friends? It looks way more ominous in the transcript than it is on video, IMO.

• Love 2

Good lord, now there's a Manhunter coming on - who isn't Kate Spencer or Laurel?!  GAAAAHHHH

This show seems destined to repeat its S2 mistakes of throwing too many balls into the air - and you just know that Team Arrow will be backburnered - again - because the show cannot resist playing with the shiny new toys.

UGH.

Honestly, what the heck is the show planning on doing with Laurel?  They just gave a plausible DC role to yet someone else coming onto the show.   MAYBE Mark trains her, mentors her, something? 

no relationship with Amanda Waller in the flashbacks

YAY!!!!

and then

Yeah, but no relationship doesn't necessarily mean there couldn't be sex.

damn, how true.  Hopefully the show does NOT go that way.

And

"I think some people will get what they were looking for and other people will shake their fists. As always, we just do what feels like the next right step."

Me, too. 

I think I'm ready for Season 4.

Wow. There are a lot of names coming onto the show. I hope they can juggle it all. Let's think about this. In S3 there is:

1) Olicity stuff, Oliver struggling with two identities

2) Ray Palmer/The Atom and his dealings with Felicity and QC

3) Daddy Diggle, H.I.V.E and ARGUS

4) Laurel and Ted Grant, maybe (probably) starting her journey to BC

5) Sara and her associations with LoA and Nyssa

6) Roy becoming Arsenal, struggling with life post-Mirakuru

7) Thea and Malcolm arc

8) Ra's al Ghul

9) And now Manhunter

Don't forget Oliver's baby mama drama and Flash Crossover event (which may or may not tie in to one of the listed plots).

Bull-fucking-shit, bringing in a Manhunter who is not Kate Spencer (outshadowed only by making her a middleaged blonde idiot DA instead of a 30-something brunette single mother who kills people with a force staff).

Eh, it doesn't really make me nervous, especially after watching that AK interview. I don't think all the producers and actors would be selling Oliver and Felicity so hard after 2 seasons of building them up just to change direction at the last minute. Plus, even though EBR can make wallpaper seem interesting, she still has the monumental task of trying to make Brandon Routh not seem bland as hell which might be her biggest challenge yet as an actor.

• Love 10

Don't forget Oliver's baby mama drama and Flash Crossover event (which may or may not tie in to one of the listed plots).

Oh yeah, of course! And I forgot to add in Felicity's backstory and meeting her mother too! The list is growing!

I am now even more worried that he will get involved with Katana instead

Yup, I mean I'm still laying odds on him banging both of them, but Katana seems more plausible given the trailer.

I'm not too worried about them "fitting" everything in, all of it sounds better than the middle part of S2 with the Roy and Lance sisters episodes, while they continued the Mirakuru arc. And I mean I like Roy, but damn I did not need him to have his own three episode arc in the middle of last season.

With all these announcements, I get the feeling the EP's are planning to just throw everything they can think of at the viewers and wait to see which ones we respond positively to, then go with that. Which doesn't really speak well for the direction of the season.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3

I think they are just making every new age appropriate male cast member to read with Emily because Emily is a gold mine and if they want a character to click, they would pair that one up with Emily - even if they do it for a couple of episodes or they do it in a non romantic way. I think they are gonna cement Roy's place in the lair as a team mate with some banter with Felicity to make him more likeable.

they are still in the process of writing later episodes so we do not really know if anything with Routh's character would happen. I suspect that there would be a lot of banter, I am not sure if there would be an actual adult relationship.

IA the EPs seemed to have figured out if you want a character liked you stick them with Felicity and have her like them Sara, Roy, Lance, Walter, Nyssa (to a certain extent) or have Felicity not like them (Isabel, Moira) and you have instant characterization.  Which is why I don't think they will let Felicity anywhere near WildCat if he is Laurel's love interest. The last thing they need is for everybody to compare chemistry or to go, "Wow, he's great with Felicity!" to another one of Laurel's love interests.

• Love 4