Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh so apparently:

the promo was filmed during TCA aka the panel that went viral because of the lack of women (1 in 16)

This makes sense. Let me try to get a legit source out of this. 

Thanks for looking for a legit source! Its still is not an excuse in my book. Get together the non-masks film a 5 sec clip to be added into the promo. Sitting them on a bleacher with some popcorn, doesn't even require script. And doesn't even require a reshot. You just cut the scene into the current footage. If the online community on youTube can do it, the CW should be able to handle it. But if they wanted to do something with a script, they could have come up with some a funny line having the non-masks getting off the elevator at the end. Or they could have had FS hack into the video feed & had them watching from another room maybe shut the lights off on them. They could have said something like guess your "secret club ain't so secret". IDK, something. I don't get paid to come up with quippy dialogue - they are supposed to.

• Love 6

It amazes me just how much they don't listen to audience feedback, while everyone on the show keeps saying they do.

Thanks for looking for a legit source! Its still is not an excuse in my book. Get together the non-masks film a 5 sec clip to be added into the promo. Sitting them on a bleacher with some popcorn, doesn't even require script. And doesn't even require a reshot. You just cut the scene into the current footage. If the online community on youTube can do it, the CW should be able to handle it.

Exactly.  On the  other hand, the on-line community came up with better posters for season 3 than the CW did.

I just want her role to be more than essentially fucking Oliver into an epiphany about his own life, that's all.

Honestly, I think at this point I'd take even that.

But realistically, what can Felicity do? I'd love her to point out to Ra's that making the guy who hates your organization and doesn't want anything to do with it not to mention is opposed to killing isn't the brightest move to make, but I doubt he'd understand even that.

The promo felt soooo forced and cheesy. Also, this was the first time I've seen Ra's in action, good lord, he sucks.

And Laurel being the only female also pissed me off to no end. I mean, I already know The Flash hates women, but why no Nyssa or Thea? 

• Love 2

Finally figured out what it reminded me of, does anyone else remember the intro to the old X-Men cartoon? Fun but over the top cheesy. And yeah not really fitting with Arrow. I wonder if one of the reasons they lighten Arrow up next season is to fit in better with the Flash and Spin Off.

I would now like them to do an unsung heroes promo with the Arrow and Flash crew.

• Love 2

The promo felt soooo forced and cheesy. Also, this was the first time I've seen Ra's in action, good lord, he sucks.

And Laurel being the only female also pissed me off to no end. I mean, I already know The Flash hates women, but why no Nyssa or Thea? 

Because they don't wear those almighty masks!

Edited by apinknightmare

They had the Flash characters and Victor Garber that didn't wear masks. I don't give a shit what the EPs say, Arrow is so clearly not the focus of the good part of their minds anymore and even this stupid promo proves that. 

It's a tone befitting the Flash and probably the spinoff. The real-world of Arrow is getting shoved to the side .

And it really pisses me off.

• Love 2

Wasnt David Ramsey at that panel. Side eyes the CW!

Yes,  and Emily was in town during that weekend (she took the same plane as Grant & Barrowman). The promotion reflects what we've been seeing on the show and that's what I don't like. Diggle and Felicity are always pushed in the backgroud for someone with a mask and when I see new stuff like that, I don't see it change next season in terms of promotion but storylines too.

Edited by rainydawn
  • Love 14

They had the Flash characters and Victor Garber that didn't wear masks. I don't give a shit what the EPs say, Arrow is so clearly not the focus of the good part of their minds anymore and even this stupid promo proves that. 

It's a tone befitting the Flash and probably the spinoff. The real-world of Arrow is getting shoved to the side .

They had the characters that they wanted at the TCAs. Whatever the reasons were, that's the truth. All this 'only masked heroes' BS is simply that. Especially because it's not even accurate, given that not all the people there even wear masks. It'd be better for them if they just admitted it, instead of digging deeper and deeper holes.

They seem so in love with getting to play with their real life action figures, that they forgot that the audience might feel differently. While Guggenheim is busy running around his bedroom, making whooshing noises and imagining Ray 'Tin Man' Palmer flying about, the people watching might actually be more invested in characters who they have been watching for three years but who, through no fault of their own, have not been deemed worthy of being masked.

DC themselves need to be way more discerning in who they give these people the okay to include, because it's clear by now that they will not pass up on a single opportunity to cram another comic book character into one of their shows. 

• Love 12

I guess they are not technically masked characters, but they are from the comics. Victor Garber is part of Firestorm, Capt Cold/Freeze & Firehot (forget their names) brothers as considered arch-rivals of the Flash. So in my mind, I think when people refer to the "masks", they refer to the characters that come from the Comic & are the heroes/villains. So they would all technically be park of the mask groups. Whereas Diggle, Felicity, Cisco, Caitlin & Joe are just regular people & not as vital to the comics. Perhaps our grouping name should more inclusive to those that are deemed "masks" but don't actually wear masks. 

• Love 1

It's a complete bullshit promo.

The TCA panel theory - okay, but where's David Ramsey?

Masks and Suits theory - okay, so why is Dr. Stein there with no mask?

They can't have it both ways.

I know the intention was for fun and to probably lead to the spin off. Whatever. It was a miss, as far as I'm concerned.

And it was, quite possibly, a waste of time and money.  Time and money that could have been spent on updated promos for each show with the full casts.

• Love 11

I did find how they used Ray in the promo interesting.  His arrival was comedic, but it also clearly to me made him look careless (crashing through the roof) stupid (oh, there is an elevator) and pointless (missed everything) .  Maybe they are going to embrace Ray as being kind of a tool. 

• Love 6

Well, I tweeted directly to the CW Network, Flash & Arrow about Felicity, Diggle, Caitlin, Cisco & Joe being missing from the promo & vital to club too. Complimented the stunts & CGI depts, since that they are basically who deserves credit for the actual work they put into the promo. Its not their fault TPTB seem to forget about other things important beyond just comics & masks. So it probably won't go anywhere. But I feel better about it... at least some random person (or bot) assigned to the twitter feeds might hear what I said. Maybe if enough people complain, something tiny might happen. But yea, I'm not holding my breath.

But yea absolute waste of time & money, hey maybe I found my next tweet. Just got think of way to say it that won't sound too bitter in 140 characters.

Edited - Found a way, implied that fan favs who people tune in for are missing in promo. So connected the $$ to the fan $$.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

Masks and Suits theory - okay, so why is Dr. Stein there with no mask?

Because he's half of Firestorm. I really do think this was just supposed to be a masked superhero vs. villain thing, that's why Diggle wasn't there.

Edited by apinknightmare

Right--I think this is a promo to play up specific elements of these three shows (even if they didn't mention the spinoff here). It bugs me because a) I think it was super cheesy and too long and somehow no real concept other than "throw these people in a cage!" and b) because I can't remember any other promo of this magnitude, so it's a bummer that it focuses on villains and side characters instead of the bulk of the series regulars on both shows. We'll never get a Team Arrow promo like this, for example (not even talking OT3--I'm talking like a full-on promo with everyone, Laurel, Roy, Thea, whomever).

• Love 3

I get what they are trying to so with this - SUPER COOL COMIC BOOK HEROES AND VILLAINS. It just annoys me because I'm watching it highlight Laurel and Ray. Two people who haven't earned the title of Hero and completely ignore two characters who have been helping save the city for two plus seasons now.

It pisses me off.

• Love 15

Alright.

So then my frustration about the shows focusing solely on masked/suited superheroes continues.  David Ramsey was at the TCA Panel because Diggle is a hero.  Just one without a mask or a suit. It's a widely discussed topic and one that he's been discussed in interviews. It's troubling, even in the confines of a 'fun promo,' that the network and EPs only think of heroes as the ones with masks and suits.  

• Love 2

I think David Ramsey was solely at the TCAs because he was there to be the token black person and this promo sort of proved it even further. The promo was fun, but it's also concerning especially if this is the direction both shows take (taking away importance from the characters that made their respective shows popular)

• Love 12

What was spoilery about this superhero trailer?

The jungle gym set & archaic scoreboard. Also Palmer Tech is hiring a different age demographic to file boxes & fangirl outside of elevator shafts.

• Love 4

I did find how they used Ray in the promo interesting.  His arrival was comedic, but it also clearly to me made him look careless (crashing through the roof) stupid (oh, there is an elevator) and pointless (missed everything) .  Maybe they are going to embrace Ray as being kind of a tool. 

BR can play a tool very well. Not for nothing but the jungle gym cage is in his own building, so I'm supposed to believe that he has no idea that there is an elevator?? I mean he knew where to park his helicopter are elevators too pedestrian now for him?

• Love 2

Ray shows up at the end and busts through the ceiling because he didn't know there was an elevator.

which is weird considering Ray owns the building. They were fighting on the rooftop of Palmer Tech, right?

• Love 1

which is weird considering Ray owns the building. They were fighting on the rooftop of Palmer Tech, right?

I thought so, otherwise I'm not sure what the woman in the elevator was doing. Come to think of it, why is there an elevator that's publicly used that has a skull button on it (am I remembering this right? I'm not going back to watch).

• Love 1

I can't be the only one that thinks this is all tied to the spin-off? It seems kind of obvious that the TCA panel, the promo and even the timing of the release (ATOM centric episodes on both Flash and Arrow this week) are all related to pimping the potential spin-off.

I don't think it's any deeper than that.

• Love 4

I thought so, otherwise I'm not sure what the woman in the elevator was doing. Come to think of it, why is there an elevator that's publicly used that has a skull button on it (am I remembering this right? I'm not going back to watch).

yes, there was a skull button, probably a left over from Oliver days when he put it in reminiscing about his skull society days in one of the four Ivy League colleges he dropped out of.

I can't be the only one that thinks this is all tied to the spin-off? It seems kind of obvious that the TCA panel, the promo and even the timing of the release (ATOM centric episodes on both Flash and Arrow this week) are all related to pimping the potential spin-off.

I don't think it's any deeper than that.

ITA.

I think the fact that they booked 10 actors for a promo stunt, and no one cared that only one of them is a woman, and that all of them are white proves that there's absolutely no deep thinking involved in any of this.

• Love 12

Sorry but I am gonna read into that promo because it sucks that Felicity and Diggle weren't there and they're more heroes to me than Laurel is so far. Sorry not sorry. I get the intention behind it but no thanks. Not interested in all these white guys in masks. Costumes are not the reason I watch this show. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 12

ITA.

I think the fact that they booked 10 actors for a promo stunt, and no one cared that only one of them is a woman, and that all of them are white proves that there's absolutely no deep thinking involved in any of this.

Wentworth Miller is not white actually, I know it's not very obvious but still. Seriously how they cannot see how that looks is so not a surprise (since the Eps are all men and white) but it still pisses me off.

Honestly, if this is the message the show/network is sending the audience - that masks and costumes rate above all else - I don't see the point in even watching s4. I mean, the two people who were pretty instrumental in making most of those 'heroes' aren't even there. WTF. This has annoyed me more than it probably should.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 3

This has annoyed me more than it probably should.

Same. 

I realize the intent, which was to get people all pumped up for well-known people, and no one who doesn't watch the show even knows who Felicity and Diggle (and Joe, Cisco or Caitlyn and Iris) even are, and having everyone in a mask and fighting each other would give people fangasms (and it definitely has), it just irritates me. I know it might not mean anything, but still...irritated. 

• Love 4

Well at least we know when all the money runs out because of the needed CGI & additional stunt budgeting, we will still have Diggle & Felicity interacting with Oliver because they don't need additional money to make them Awesome... they just already are. So here's to having quality actors with good chemistry, eventually the real suits (ie the networks) will catch up to what fills their pockets vs. what drains their pockets.

• Love 9

Change of topic but I was thinking about MG saying a few shots of the promo won't be included and maybe they are going to do a sort of montage of the sex scene and the "branding scene" going back to one scene and the other. Like what they did in TVD when they had Damon and Elena first love scene cut with Caroline and Stefan discovering Elena  was sired. It sure complicated the life of vidders. So I think that if they use only a score it could be something really sad and dark.

Edited by steeledwithakiss
  • Love 1

Is it too much to hope for Hozier "Take me to church"? or is the song too old to be used?

usually the music dept like to use new songs, but i can't think of any right now- i'm not too up to date on the current top of the charts music.

I love that song but does it fit Olicity?

Wentworth Miller is not white actually, I know it's not very obvious but still. Seriously how they cannot see how that looks is so not a surprise (since the Eps are all men and white) but it still pisses me off.

Yeah, I actually have a pretty similar ethnic background as Wentworth Miller [but I live in a different country, with a different racial culture from the U.S., that considers me white -- I was raised white, it would actually be offensive of me to say I'm not white where I live -- regardless of my African/Native/Lebanese/Mediterranean background], but he only plays white characters, so I think my point still stands.

Edited by dancingnancy

I'm not reading too much into this either, other than an attempt to sell the spinoff. We got bits with the established characters to get people to tune in - with most of the focus on Arrow, Flash and Ra's - and then the focus switched more to Captain Cold, Firedude, and Firestorm. I agree that only having one woman there looks terrible, even if she does win her fight, and it's another argument for getting Hawkgirl and Vixen on board as quickly as possible, but I just don't think that much thought went into this at all.

The real question is that although it was cute, I kinda have to ask: are they trying to turn Ray into bumbling superhero?  I know this makes no sense given the rest of his introduction/background - 3 PhDs, successful businessman, and so on - but:

a) Despite getting introduced as a computer genius, he can't make all the computer bits without help.

b) On his first outing, instead of taking out any bad guys, he electrocuted a hero.

c) Oliver then more or less destroys the robot suit in just one blow.

d) His first and so far only heroic moment comes when he's just Ray Palmer, and not in the suit.

e) He then needs to go to Team Flash for help with the suit.

f) And in this promo, he's late to the meeting AND can't even find an elevator.

• Love 10

I'd say he would be given the Watson to someone else's Holmes but Ray is supposed to be the leading man, right?

Unless you know that according to how the US defines race Wentworth Miller is not technically white (although lighter skinned than many Caucasians, you're going to look at him and say "white guy".

Given how angry people were during the TCA panel, you'd think someone would have realized this is a bad idea.  If only the writer (because there was a script) and the EPs who okayed it.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3