Type keyword(s) to search

Dean Winchester: aka Squirrel

• Start Topic

I cannot believe there will ever be such an iconic character on our screens again. Series don't go on as long as fifteen years, and they certainly won't have an actor/character as well-played as Jensen/Dean were. What's really sad to me going forward is that I'll compare every other character to Dean and be disappointed in what I see. I really, really miss Dean.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I cannot believe there will ever be such an iconic character on our screens again. Series don't go on as long as fifteen years, and they certainly won't have an actor/character as well-played as Jensen/Dean were. What's really sad to me going forward is that I'll compare every other character to Dean and be disappointed in what I see. I really, really miss Dean.

The only other character I've felt anything close to what I feel for Dean was on a show that only had 83 episodes and it was already over for five years when I found it, so I kind of knew going in it had an end date. Even though I came late to SPN, I was captivated immediately and completely by Dean. Learning about Jensen, finding out what a good man he is, was just icing on the cake. I missed my 'first' guy, but in my mind and heart I know he's still out there in the world, kicking ass and taking names. That is why I can never forgive this ending.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Even though I came late to SPN, I was captivated immediately and completely by Dean. Learning about Jensen, finding out what a good man he is, was just icing on the cake. I missed my 'first' guy, but in my mind and heart I know he's still out there in the world, kicking ass and taking names. That is why I can never forgive this ending.

I totally agree with you. I started watching when the show was in it's 10th season and season 11 was the first one that I watched live. From the pilot on I was completely drawn to Dean and Jensen is so awesome that it makes me happy to follow him on all of his future projects.

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

I try not to, truly hated that scene.

As much as I hated Sam for this, I think I hated him even more for walking away from Dean after promising Kevin he'd try to work things out. He was never redeemed in my eyes. It was a beautiful performance from Jensen though.

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

As much as I hated Sam for this, I think I hated him even more for walking away from Dean after promising Kevin he'd try to work things out. He was never redeemed in my eyes. It was a beautiful performance from Jensen though.

The scene itself, I wouldn't even have so much of a problem with if the jerk writers didn't spout their "hard truths" bs. 

If a character I love (and feel doesn't deserve this) gets called a selfish worthless coward and that this is their entire personality, that is one thing. Characters get belittled and insulted often. 

The writer telling me that this is supposed the truth and I should cheer the other character on? Eff that. 

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

How did fandom as a whole react after this aired? I wasn’t watching yet when this happened.

It did not go over well.  Even I, who was on Sam's side up to that point, thought he went too far.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I’d forgotten it existed. There I was happily enjoying the powdered donuts,  introduction to Donna, and fish taco monsters ..... and then that happened.  When Sam holds a grudge he holds on tight and long and he lashes out cruelly. How much has Dean forgiven and forgotten over the years?  

I agree Jensen’s performance was powerful. His expressions... your heart just twists painfully for him.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

I’d forgotten it existed. There I was happily enjoying the powdered donuts,  introduction to Donna, and fish taco monsters ..... and then that happened.  When Sam holds a grudge he holds on tight and long and he lashes out cruelly. How much has Dean forgiven and forgotten over the years?  

I agree Jensen’s performance was powerful. His expressions... your heart just twists painfully for him.  

Yeah, Donna, the donuts, Jensen in general and always with the performances. I vaguely recall these only because it's all that's of value from this episode. Sam ... I can't even without launching into a string of expletives. And the producers too who thought this was an example of tough love or something? I swear almost the entire writing team from the Carver years onward especially must have been seriously damaged to think they were doing right by these characters.

I only watched this episode once. I know Jensen is stellar in it - but really when isn't he? But I could never stomach to watch it more than the once because ... Sam. 🤬

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

I only watched this episode once. I know Jensen is stellar in it - but really when isn't he? But I could never stomach to watch it more than the once because ... Sam. 🤬

Same. This and season 4's Sex and Violence were a one and done for me because I couldn't sit through Sam's behavior more than once.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 5

I was reading some fan-fiction and had a thought - can you imagine if we got to watch Dean Winchester on HBO, Amazon, etc.? What a glorious thing that would be. There we could witness the gritty, hard existence of Dean's life. See his fear and depression in full color so to speak, hear his true cries of despair, enjoy his fun excursions to the fullest. In many ways, I feel like we would see a harder, time-worn Dean, probably more realistic in many ways, than the character we've watched for so many years. I know not everyone would like this version of Dean, but Jensen would have knocked it out of the park. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, FlickChick said:

I was reading some fan-fiction and had a thought - can you imagine if we got to watch Dean Winchester on HBO, 

HBO? He probably would have been nude at least three times. 😁

But yes, the show would have been much more gritty there. Not quite sure it would have worked with the vibe because the show at its best Seasons still had a lot of the somewhat goofy charm with genuine heart and some sweet mythology. Good in its own way but I wouldn`t mix it with HBO shows.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

HBO? He probably would have been nude at least three times. 😁

But yes, the show would have been much more gritty there. Not quite sure it would have worked with the vibe because the show at its best Seasons still had a lot of the somewhat goofy charm with genuine heart and some sweet mythology. Good in its own way but I wouldn`t mix it with HBO shows.    

Sure, more nudity, sex, and cursing but if Kripke had gotten an HBO deal, it would have been very dark. Unfortunately,  considering Kripke's latest, it wouldn't have been psychologically dark, but with all the emphasis on the horror, gore, and violence. They had set out to make a horror movie every week. 

I feel we would have lost a lot of the nuanced acting and a lot of the mythology and story of the brothers.

• Love 6
On 3/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, Aeryn13 said:

The scene itself, I wouldn't even have so much of a problem with if the jerk writers didn't spout their "hard truths" bs. 

If a character I love (and feel doesn't deserve this) gets called a selfish worthless coward and that this is their entire personality, that is one thing. Characters get belittled and insulted often. 

The writer telling me that this is supposed the truth and I should cheer the other character on? Eff that. 

Made worse when you re-watch from the beginning! We are "told" that Sam is the compassionate caring one. But Dean was the one always ready to get back to the hunt of saving people, when Sam wanted to give up and run away countless times. And the way Dean connected with kids was always touching to me.  Yeah, that scene can go the way of the rubbish bin.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

From the pix that Jensen posted for JJ's birthday. I know I'm going to hell for cropping but I'm not sorry. Look at those eyes 😍

20210530_142342.jpg

Can you imagine being an 8 year old girl and having This Man as your father? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

So I've been rewatching S2 on TNT this week and while I've always been dumb struck at how beautiful Jensen Ackles is, his S2 looks carry such an angelic cast/light, IMO. Totally and So Completely Ethereal is the best descriptor of S2 Dean that I can come up with; and now, even more so.

I think it was this season that made me long to see him in the Michael role more than any other-but not Kripke's angels or any of the other showrunners that this show has had.

And tbh, I can't even think of any angelic casting that I've ever seen that would truly do his looks and his skillset as an actor justice.

I just know that I'd still love to see him in a warrior angel role written just for him.

It's still a role that I think he was absolutely born to play. 

• Love 8
On 6/4/2021 at 12:49 PM, Myrelle said:

And tbh, I can't even think of any angelic casting that I've ever seen that would truly do his looks and his skillset as an actor justice.

Do you mean you can’t think of any other actor who is moreover suited to play an angel?

Let ever introduce you to Tom Ellis and DB Woodside of Lucifer.

4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Do you mean you can’t think of any other actor who is moreover suited to play an angel?

Let ever introduce you to Tom Ellis and DB Woodside of Lucifer.

I tried to watch Lucifer(watched S1) but it just didn't do it for me-not the least bit interested in seeing a romance between an angel and a human.

And I actually love the idea that they gave us of archangels in The Monster at the End of the Book,  when Castiel described them to Dean.

I further think that the best depiction we've seen of an archangel on Supernatural was Raphael's first appearance.

But that's not really what I meant.

I meant that I've never seen a role written for an angelic being that would do Jensen's skillset justice-the kind of Ethereal Beauty that he possesses mixed with the Utmost Badassity and Otherworldliness especially. 

I remember the movie Michael, from many years ago, with John Travolta in the title role, that could have come pretty close, but I would have loved to see more battles(both with other angels as well as with humans), if it had been written for Jensen.

• Love 2

Lucifer (as in the show) is IMO s fantastic character (and Tom Ellis is doing a fantastic job). It made me more and more annoyed with the neverending version of Nepotism-duo-pet-character-run-into-the-ground-Lucifer they did on SPN.

Then again, SPN ran everything into the ground.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Lucifer (as in the show) is IMO s fantastic character (and Tom Ellis is doing a fantastic job). It made me more and more annoyed with the neverending version of Nepotism-duo-pet-character-run-into-the-ground-Lucifer they did on SPN.

Then again, SPN ran everything into the ground.

I agree about Lucifer. It's IMO a very tropey genre show that distinguishes itself via great execution, especially in the Netflix seasons. Unlike what I'd grown accustomed to with SPN, Lucifer has yet to truly disappoint me and has consistently given thoughtful, generous, and appreciative treatment to the main character and actor.

It also finished off its fifth season without pulling a Swan Song on its lead, and certain elements of the finale just embittered me further toward SPN's Dean vs. Samifer and the stupid marionette version of Michael vs. Lucifer. Jensen and Dean deserved at least the caliber of treatment that Tom Ellis has gotten.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

You can have Tom’s Lucifer.

And I’ll keep Jensen’s Dean.

I would pay real money for Tom Ellis's Lucifer to interact with Jensen Ackles' Dean Winchester. A match made in heaven for sure!

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, PAForrest said:

I would pay real money for Tom Ellis's Lucifer to interact with Jensen Ackles' Dean Winchester. A match made in heaven for sure!

Mark Pellegrino is a good actor,  but they made Lucifer such an awful character I never wanted to see him on my screen again. Tom's Lucifer would have been so much more interesting, but doesn't fit in the SPN universe.  What would've been so cool is for Dean to have landed in the Lucifer 'verse in one of the AUs, lol.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
Typo
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Mark Pellegrino is a good actor,  but they made Lucifer such an awful character I never wanted to see him on my screen again. Tom's Lucifer would have been so much more interesting, but doesn't fit in the SPN universe.  What would've been so cool is fir Dean to have landed in the Lucifer 'verse in one of the AUs, lol.

Yes, Tom's Lucifer and the entire story wouldn't havw fit in SPN but I agree a x-over AU could havw been fun. Better than the increasingly cringy meta episodes.

And if they wanted a well-done Devil's child, they could have crossed over with Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Everything Cutesy Stu Jack only dreamed of being, like complex.

There were lots of characters from other stories who would have made an interesting dynamic with Dean for a fun AU.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

It's about Dean so it counts...

I'm looking forward to what comedic elements Jensen brings to Soldier Boy.

Can you post the youtube link, please? 😊

6 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

It's not my fault there isn't a Jensen Ackles thread....

I LOVE! that this is based on the influx of positive tweets received.

So good to know. 🥰

• Love 4
On 8/22/2021 at 11:48 AM, Casseiopeia said:

It's not my fault there isn't a Jensen Ackles thread....

I love this so much. Jensen is a beautiful man inside and out, Every time that I see positive press about him it makes me hope that others that aren't already tuned into him will do so just to see what the hype is all about and decide to stick around for his awesomeness. 

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 9

So one random thought from my somewhat-finishing of the series... I was really surprised in season 14 when we learned that John actually used to send Dean away when he was really angry with him. I think Dean implies it wasn't even all that rare, since he assumes Sam will remember these times and interpret them as just Dean running off for a while. 

I guess it depends on the age this was happening at, but it's so vague that it's hard to even guess at what this means - what would trigger this kind of reaction from John, how long he would be told to stay away (or if it was a "I'll call you when you can come home" kind of thing), where he went or what he did during those times. It doesn't sound like he was being sent on jobs - just told to get gone for a while until John cooled off. 

Just such an odd twist on their family history. It's not something I would assume John would even want to do - it makes the family weaker when one of them is gone, particularly the older kid -  and makes their early comments in season one ("Dad never yelled at us like that." "Not you, you were perfect."), etc. seem kind of... I don't know. Like deliberate amnesia on both their parts. I didn't know what I was supposed to take away from it, beyond Dean feeling guilt as usual. Maybe it was just supposed to be an insight into how John thinks and their relationship. Like, he disciplines the kid who's most invested in the family by temporarily taking the family away - fits with the MO in Bad Boys as well, I guess.  It just seemed like a big thing to throw out there and then shut it down just as quickly. 

Edited by Aithne
4 hours ago, Aithne said:

So one random thought from my somewhat-finishing of the series... I was really surprised in season 14 when we learned that John actually used to send Dean away when he was really angry with him. I think Dean implies it wasn't even all that rare, since he assumes Sam will remember these times and interpret them as just Dean running off for a while. 

I guess it depends on the age this was happening at, but it's so vague that it's hard to even guess at what this means - what would trigger this kind of reaction from John, how long he would be told to stay away (or if it was a "I'll call you when you can come home" kind of thing), where he went or what he did during those times. It doesn't sound like he was being sent on jobs - just told to get gone for a while until John cooled off. 

Just such an odd twist on their family history. It's not something I would assume John would even want to do - it makes the family weaker when one of them is gone, particularly the older kid -  and makes their early comments in season one ("Dad never yelled at us like that." "Not you, you were perfect."), etc. seem kind of... I don't know. Like deliberate amnesia on both their parts. I didn't know what I was supposed to take away from it, beyond Dean feeling guilt as usual. Maybe it was just supposed to be an insight into how John thinks and their relationship. Like, he disciplines the kid who's most invested in the family by temporarily taking the family away - fits with the MO in Bad Boys as well, I guess.  It just seemed like a big thing to throw out there and then shut it down just as quickly. 

Maybe whoever wrote it was hoping when John came back for episode 300, Dean would actually get to have his own heart to heart with Dad about how he was treated and wanted to use the Bad Boys angle to do it but then naturally it was decided Dean didn't need to say anything and that was a dead end.  I mean it did fit with Bad Boys and it would make sense to "punish Dean", who dearly loved his family, by taking away his family, and it's cold enough to sound like something John would do.  It could have been things like when Sam ran away, after they found him, maybe John was like get out.  Or even those times we know Dean tried to give Sam some of the childhood he didn't have, like when he shot off the fireworks.  

Or heck we saw that there were times when John got angry and he just needed someone to blame and he took it out on Dean, it may have been some ridiculous thing to set him.

• Love 2
On 9/8/2021 at 12:24 AM, tessathereaper said:

It could have been things like when Sam ran away, after they found him

Oh God, yeah, that one. That's just painful all around to think about. Like, presumably at the time, they didn't have cell phones (I'm about their age, and didn't get one til college). So Dean's dealing with this panic of not knowing where Sam is, is running himself ragged looking for him, starts being afraid that he's dead, and he's got no reliable way to contact John about it. And then John gets home and reacts God knows how (but we can guess from prior experience and Dean's tone that it wasn't compassion and understanding), and all of this goes on for two whole weeks? 

Yeesh. Scars for life, seriously. I can't  imagine being a kid himself and dealing with 2 weeks of that kind of fear coupled with the guilt of it happening on his watch. (Which is like... dude. Everyone's gotta sleep, get food, etc, and it's not like he could've expected Sam to leave. It's insane to blame him anyway.)

Edited by Aithne
  • Love 5