Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: C To The T

What the hell, Tandy? What the hell is his endgame? Is he that desperate to be around people that he's willing to torture himself?

But also, what is Todd up to? Is HE trying to kill everyone? I'm interested now.

• Love 2

What the hell, Tandy? What the hell is his endgame? Is he that desperate to be around people that he's willing to torture himself?

But also, what is Todd up to? Is HE trying to kill everyone? I'm interested now.

i feel like they must have dropped some clues about Todd this episode. He was acting weird but I started to really notice after Melissa's conversation with Carol.

The obvious answer, to me, is he's cheating on Melissa with one of the girls whose names I can never remember. Erica? The last two girls are both available. No one else was giving off nervous vibes as much as Todd was, but then again he started the fire and he'd be the one cheating on a significant other.

I'm more leaning towards a man cave type scenario where he has supplies or amenities that he's keeping to himself. I could see some major guilt about that, especially since the canned food is expiring. (side note: why are these people not farming? I assume bees are gone, but Phil and Tandy both seem industrious enough to study up on agriculture enough to start a nice little farm. These people have enough time on their hands for it.)

• Love 6

I'm more leaning towards a man cave type scenario where he has supplies or amenities that he's keeping to himself. I could see some major guilt about that, especially since the canned food is expiring. (side note: why are these people not farming? I assume bees are gone, but Phil and Tandy both seem industrious enough to study up on agriculture enough to start a nice little farm. These people have enough time on their hands for it.)

Yeah that makes more sense.

I hated this episode.  It was so uncomfortable to watch.  I've given this show tons of leeway, but the way they were treating Tandy was ridiculous.  I get that he was trying to atone for his past behaviors, but I didn't find any of that funny.  Also, Carol could be doing so much more for him, even just keeping him company.  I don't get why she was so distant.

• Love 8

Agreed with GenL above; this episode was more uncomfortable than funny. Are we supposed to assume that Phil/Tandy is going mad (which would be reasonable given the world's circumstances), or that he's a masochist? And as for the canned food starting to expire, I don't expect this show to be realistic, but they're on the ocean, hasn't anyone there ever fished, or gathered shellfish? I enjoyed this show last season but this season isn't connecting as well for me.

• Love 3

The show is pushing me away, last night I had to force myself to watch it and wanted to fast forward threw it all. If I was Phil I would have let the house burn down and would have left town. Why would anyone stay and put up with that bullshit?

• Love 2

I think this ep was necessary for the group to finally let him be. Phil really has changed. I was so afraid that the group's treatment of him was going to drive him back to being a jerk, so I'm glad that didn't happen. 

Carol has helped him find his humanity, and so he wants friends.

I think Dots and Stripes is right on that Todd is hoarding supplies. I wondered why the group was talking so much about expired food.

I thought it was cruel that they used a shock-collar on the cow. I know that was in the show so that Phil would have to wear one too, but still. They could have built a fence.

• Love 1

What a bunch of assholes. I don't get why Carol, much less Phil, wants to be anywhere near these people. They are the epitome of "I would only be with you if you were the last people on earth." And questionable, even then.

• Love 6

Original Phil has been a jerk, even recently.

I was happy he put out the fire but I was a little worried no one would believe him. He has very little credibility and for good reason. If I were one of the others, I probably would have thought original Phil started the fire so that he could be the hero that saved everyone. 

Original Phil's problem is that he always wants something better. That doesn't go away over night. It looks like he's going to try and use whatever is going on with Todd to his advantage. That will probably make him look like a jerk too.

• Love 1

But even outside of their treatment of Phil, I don't see anything so great about them that makes it worth this trouble to be on their good side. I know he's there because Carol wants to be there, I just think I'd rather see them start off somewhere else.

• Love 6

I have to agree with the posters above.  I was so disappointed in this episode, also finding it difficult to watch.  They were all just so mean.  However, I'm not going anywhere.  I want to find out more about "lost in space".

• Love 4

I hated this episode, I can't stand the rest of the group, and I actually like Tandy, so torturing him for fun was not my idea of a great episode. I'm still in, but I hope they move on to something else.

• Love 7

I feel like they must have dropped some clues about Todd this episode. He was acting weird, but I started to really notice after Melissa's conversation with Carol.

I'm leaning towards a man-cave type scenario where he has supplies or amenities that he's keeping to himself.

Last episode, TPTB reminded us (via Gordon's tombstone) that it's 2023. So when Todd said, "I ate a whole jar of rancid olives that expired in 2014," I thought he was lying. Are they dressing, padding &/or shooting Mel Rodriguez to look larger? I don't remember him being so big on Better Call Saul.

Maybe Todd's hiding a grow-light veggie garden? Breeding rabbits, guinea pigs, and/or chickens?

So what was the shed meant to be before they turned it into Tandy's prison? It made me think Gordon had a "fifty-shades" side or something.

I really do wish the show was just original Phil and Carol traveling around North America in search of a different group of survivors Bc this group is a bunch of dicks.

I kinda do hope we get a backstory on the relocation from Tucson to California at some point, but just an episode and nothing longer than that.

• Love 1

Agreed with GenL above; this episode was more uncomfortable than funny. Are we supposed to assume that Phil/Tandy is going mad (which would be reasonable given the world's circumstances), or that he's a masochist? And as for the canned food starting to expire, I don't expect this show to be realistic, but they're on the ocean, hasn't anyone there ever fished, or gathered shellfish? I enjoyed this show last season but this season isn't connecting as well for me.

I think by their massive surprise over finding the cow (and other things) it's implied that animals were just as wiped out as humans. So they could try to fish, but it's implied they'd not really find any.

I too am confused why Phil still wants to be anywhere near these people. He was fine with just Carol, theoretically less stir crazy when it was just him and his ball-friends. I don't see why (other than: sitcom) he wouldn't just say, look, you all don't trust me or like me, and I came back because it was important to Carol and Carol's important to me, but if you just want to torture me forever, I'll go live in the RV down by the beach, and Carol can hang with you when she wants and with me when she wants and nobody will be completely alone, but we don't need to be around each other, mmkay?

Like, I get that he's cracked, and they're finally starting to show how the others have too, but it makes zero sense to me that he'd even bother or have any interest in earning their trust. His putting out the fire makes him decent, no more, no less. Sometimes people need to just agree to not be around each other, especially since nobody seems intent on repopulating/mixing the gene pool as much as possible anyway. That was the only argument they had going for why they all needed to stay together. So if they hate him, fine, let him live in peace nearby enough. Hell they could even continue doing the shock-collar thing if they wanted to, just make it a way larger perimeter for him, farther from them.

It's too sensible to ignore, and I still don't find the other characters interesting or funny. If they can't be both, I want at least one.

Also I have no idea why my mind went here, but for some reason...something about the camera angles of the cheese...and when Todd was sounding vaguely suspicious...I think what he was hiding up there was cow-related.

• Love 1

I find it hilarious how everyone else is the asshole this year and Phil is the nice guy...for now anyway. I'm sure it won't last. Ooh, and I love the beard!

Yeah, don't worry, I'll just sit over here quietly now. I don't need a collar, I promise to behave. ;)

but if you just want to torture me forever, I'll go live in the RV down by the beach, and Carol can hang with you when she wants and with me when she wants and nobody will be completely alone, but we don't need to be around each other, mmkay?

theatermouse, I totally thought that too. Malibu is a big place - he can live across town! And Carol can visit her jerk friends! And Phil doesn't have to interact with them except for the occasional dinner party! I know he wants people too, but please, not these people. This is an abusive relationship for him. (and was anyone else going " PHIL. You have HANDS. You can COVER THE SPRAY NOZZLE SO IT DOESN'T SPRAY YOU IN THE FACE."?)

• Love 4

Are we supposed to assume that Phil/Tandy is going mad (which would be reasonable given the world's circumstances), or that he's a masochist?

I saw Phil's actions in this episode a little differently than most here. I don't think he's going mad.  I think he's still the same Phil he has always been.  Last season he desperately wanted to be "the big man on campus" the more people showed up.  He wanted to have sex with the prettiest girls.  He wanted to be the leader.

Now he's happy with Carol but he's still seeking affirmation.  I don't think his main motivation for torturing himself was masochism...not with how often he asked Carol if they were talking about him.  He was looking for credit for what he was doing.  He wants them to feel badly that he's being "tortured" even tough most of it is self-imposed.

• Love 2

Yes, I agree with this. ^^^

Tandy chose to punish himself as penance. I understand the desire for human interaction, but these aren't nice people. I don't understand why Carol wants companionship from people,who clearly hate her husband.

As for what Todd is up to? I'm guessing it's something we would never think of - because that's how this show rolls. Why would he hoard anything when there's more than enough of everything for 7 people. If non-perishables are reaching the end of their shelf life, hoarding it won't help Todd.

Carol had a garden last season, they should return to that.

I think New Phil made it and the stocks.

The thing is that the locked shed was shown in the background before they decided to shock collar Tandy, you could see it when they were showing the cow the first time.  I can't believe that New Phil would have the know-how nor the time to make the stocks that looked that fine-polished from the time that Tandy threatened them w/ the gun to deciding to lock him in the stocks.  It all looked like it was pre-pre-exisitng, and of course there is nothing wrong w/ Gordon having a kinky side if that. 

If I were one of the others, I probably would have thought original Phil started the fire so that he could be the hero that saved everyone.

This is what I thought was going to happen, but the reason I think they didn't think Tandy started the fire was simply the fact that Tandy would have woken them all up to let them know he had saved them from a fire he would have started to get in their good graces.

• Love 1

What a brilliant episode, this show just keeps getting better and better. I agree it was a little uncomfortable in parts seeing Tandy being treated badly but he did bring a lot of it on himself and he does want to show the group how much he has changed. The whole Todd thing is intriguing and I agree with one of my fellow posters, he does seem to have gotten bigger. I know Tandy was going to leave him in the desert but his reaction to our hero`s return was a little too hostile, seeing as he had started to obsess over Melissa and new Phil you would have thought he would be glad to have someone to talk to, although we don`t know how close he had gotten to Gordon. I also sense a great malign presence at the heart of the new Phil, not a bully as such but rather someone who could snap at any time.

• Love 1

The thing is that the locked shed was shown in the background before they decided to shock collar Tandy, you could see it when they were showing the cow the first time.  I can't believe that New Phil would have the know-how nor the time to make the stocks that looked that fine-polished from the time that Tandy threatened them w/ the gun to deciding to lock him in the stocks.  It all looked like it was pre-pre-exisitng, and of course there is nothing wrong w/ Gordon having a kinky side if that. 

From last season we know that New Phil is capable and knowledgeable in so many ways. It was like he could make anything and solve any problem. The stocks looked brand new to me. I'm sure he made that to punish Original Phil. However, I didn't see the little shed in the background before it was used on Original Phil. If -- big if -- Gordon had used it in a kinky way, this is a strange way for the show to suggest that, but I have no idea what it would have been used for. 

Ah, if everything actually made sense on this show, they wouldn't have a cow, be driving around the countryside or their clothes look like they just came off the rack. I actually find the less it makes sense, the more funny it is on this show. 

I'm sorry, I know I promised I'd sit quietly, but...okay, maybe I do need a collar. 

• Love 1

I hate everyone but Old Phil and Carol. My patience is wearing thin, Show. Take them away again . . . this time for good!

When Todd sneaked off to his hidey hole and said "Daddy's home," I immediately imagined a room full of dolls. I think he's having weird-ass late-night tea parties. Yeah, that's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 3

HATED IT!  Sorry, but for me this was the worst episode yet.  As I said in last week's thread, watching "Tandy the Outcast" is not of interest or enjoyable to me.  I don't get why he wants to get in with these people. None of the outside group have shown any redeeming qualities.  What was the point of the blonde (hate her character so much I already forgot her name) putting the beer just out of reach? Why did they add punishment on top of punishment on top of punishment?  If they all care for Carol, why not accept she loves him and accept him for who he is?  And other than the fact they are other people to talk to, why oh why does Carol continue to want to be around these folks?

I get Tandy asked for the punishments he got (some of them), but seriously, did they have no intention of letting Phil eat or drink when he was in the stockade? What about in the shock collar? Plus, they left him for days outside with no shelter and in a small area with a cow (so, you know, cow poop everywhere)...

Funny that a lot of us thought Tandy set the fire just so he could save everyone by putting it out.  I'm glad the writers didn't go there...

And I know this is a work of fiction, but I don't get why Carol and Tandy want to stick with this group.  They were having fun up until they met back up with them.  The others in the group are so mean and have so little depth I don't see how Carol can enjoy them. I want Carol and the Real Phil to up and leave and go on the road in search of other living beings... and to take the cow with them!

What happened to Jason Sudeikis' character?  Now he was interesting.  I'm not buying the whole "now we're going to make Todd an interesting character by giving him a secret" thing.  I don't care about him and he's not going to suddenly become likeable to me.  I suppose it's an attempt to give some depth to another character, but too late, show, too late...

I get why Tandy is bending over backwards for these guys...Carol made the sacrifice to leave the group to be w/ Tandy and now it was Tandy's turn to sacrifice for Carol but at some point Carol had to see how unhealthy the group looks at Tand and by extension her for choosing to go off w/ him. I hope by the end of the season Carol makes the decision that they need to move on again.

• Love 1

It's true that it's not logical for Tandy to live in the mansion with them as opposed to living across town and letting Carol go back and forth. But I don't mind the gap in logic if it makes for a funny show.

But it doesn't.

This group is just a bunch of joykills and I am so over them. If the show doesn't get better soon I am out. We are in the era of maximum TV and I don't have the patience for much more of this.

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 1

I just hope this is the end of the Tandy punishment. We've done it, we've explored it, lets break some new ground.

From what I can tell with the suggested one week punishment, the group seems to be coming to term with the notion that they've moved on. If only he would just shut up.

But lets get these people doing something. There's a lot of wasted comic potential with Schaal and Forte that we saw in the first two episodes.

• Love 1

I can`t wait for the next episode, to see what Todd is up to. His character development has been fascinating, he has gone from being the nicest person in the World to the nastiest, his loathing for Phil/Tandy is astonishing. Admittedly he DID consider leaving him stranded in the desert. I think Todd`s secret is food related and it will be interesting to see whether or not the rest of them turn on him and treat him as badly as they have been treating our hero.

• Love 2

I feel like this is comedic Lord of the Flies/28 Days Later type scenario. Last season showed individual darkness with Phil to mixed degrees, now this one is showing how groups turn on one person. The Tucson group done some pretty low things. It is not as fun as the first episode of the season, but I am willing to see what happens.

I did like Carol's slice of cheese that she took. And like Phil, cheese would make me want to break house arrest.

• Love 2