Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Fear The Unknown

Location: the "Mayan jungles of Belize" The dude had a Bigfoot sighting at age 12. The woman is a mom who has never spent more than a night away from the kids.

Was anyone else hoping for a chupacabra? Not to hurt anyone (as if they are real?) but just to shake things up a bit given the Bigfoot history. Just me? Alrighty then. :) Her crotch in his face on day one. Yikes. They giggled a lot at first which beats the sniping and I thought it was going to go great.. He is a super sweet dude.  Wow day three must be an ass-kicker day..

Interesting that the dude brought a hammock (that could be used in other ways as well) as his item. I wondered if they could catch fish with it since it was all net-ty looking.  .  

I'm jealous of her hair.

That growling when he was alone was terrifying

"You just spit on my toe."

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

Not done with the episode yet, but I am confused about why the guy brought a hammock since they aren't sleeping in it. So far they are using it for cordage, but he could have brought a bunch of rope. *shrug*

Edited: I finished the whole thing, and this guy seemed fairly normal except the whole Bigfoot thing. Please tell me he was kidding. Please tell me he doesn't actually believe in Bigfoot. That chick did a terrible job, which was disappointing because she seemed tough. She also looked much older than 37, like she's had a rough life or something.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 1

Not done with the episode yet, but I am confused about why the guy brought a hammock since they aren't sleeping in it. So far they are using it for cordage, but he could have brought a bunch of rope. *shrug*

Edited: I finished the whole thing, and this guy seemed fairly normal except the whole Bigfoot thing. Please tell me he was kidding. Please tell me he doesn't actually believe in Bigfoot. That chick did a terrible job, which was disappointing because she seemed tough. She also looked much older than 37, like she's had a rough life or something.

Agreed.

I had to rewind to re-hear, but did he say that Bigfoot LAY ON HIM?  I mean , if so, I have some serious questions. Obviously something happened. Was it a prank on a 12 yr old on a camping trip as people are prone to do? Why wasn't he killed? which would have been horrible, of course, but if it is indeed the dreaded Bigfoot of yore lore as if it exists for argument's sake, then why is the kid still alive? Bigfoot comes and lies on you then leaves? Im so confused.

And what did the team do when he freaked out when the growling and prowling started? They walked up to the campsite then left? WHAT? And they chalked it up to low protein - low serotonin?

I was disappointed in the woman .  She wasn't even physically sick, was she? There was plenty of water....or enough. Her spirit seemed dead rather quickly for the  athlete that she claimed to be.

• Love 3

Yeah, she definitely just lay down and died (metaphorically) out there. Hated her "I'm an athlete, I know how much water I need" attitude. If you are an athlete, you know that the answer to "how much water do you need" when you are exerting yourself in 95 degree heat is: "More."

• Love 5
(edited)

Yeah, she definitely just lay down and died (metaphorically) out there. Hated her "I'm an athlete, I know how much water I need" attitude. If you are an athlete, you know that the answer to "how much water do you need" when you are exerting yourself in 95 degree heat is: "More."

YES!

I thought that was pretty bitchy and snarky of her since he was trying to help her. And chugging a load of water in one shot is probably not a great idea in that situation , so I was with the dude on that one. Still, imo, her snappy response was uncalled for. He BROUGHT HER THE WATER for crying out loud and she snapped his head off.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

So the first episode of this season, the girl gets out alone.  The second episode the guy does.  Airing 2 episodes, one week after the other, where both times only one finishes the challenge was a bad decision, imo.  I'm bored.  It was great the first epi with Kim spanking the cop and getting herself out, but without the personality dynamics of 2 people, it's tiresome. 

Naked and Afraid Alone is no fun. 

C'mon Discovery Channel - why you gotta be all chronological? I can't think of another reason why they'd air these episodes back to back unless they really do air them in the order in which they filmed them.

• Love 3

The producers obviously have not done a good job selecting people so far this season. I wonder how they pair up the men and women for each episode - seems like the two who made it alone the past 2 weeks would have made a good team.

Initially it looked like it would have been a far better episode than last week's but we get the same quitting after a few days. At least we didn't get someone who thought they were better than their teammate. I thought the guy's Bigfoot fear was weird. Interesting that after production went in to help with the growling animal there were no more occurrences.

Maybe we should start making guesses on how long the next ones will go before quitting, lol.

• Love 1

Every time the guy mentioned that Bigfoot was on top of him at 12 I giggled. He really believes that! Oh my. Other than that, good guy. It was nice not to have people tearing each other down, even if she did only last 3 days. Did he eat anything but that little critter on the last day or so? 

• Love 1

Did he say that Bigfoot laid on top of him through the tent? Not that it makes it more believable but I kept trying to remind myself he was 12, only 12. Still good for him for sticking it out all alone through his darkness fear with either an animal growling & huffing at night or production having a really sick sense of humor. Low serotonin was making him paranoid & hear noises? I was hearing them in my audio feed as well. Am I paranoid? Wait, is that my dog or Bigfoot? Run!!!

• Love 5

Did he say that Bigfoot laid on top of him through the tent? Not that it makes it more believable but I kept trying to remind myself he was 12, only 12. Still good for him for sticking it out all alone through his darkness fear with either an animal growling & huffing at night or production having a really sick sense of humor. Low serotonin was making him paranoid & hear noises? I was hearing them in my audio feed as well. Am I paranoid? Wait, is that my dog or Bigfoot? Run!!!

What amazes me is this guy carries this around with him to this day. No one has said, "it wasn't Bigfoot, dude" -- poor guy. He's been terrified of the dark for decades because of this…and he just went on national tv and mentioned it about 5 times. Bigfoot never laid on top of me in a tent when I was 12 and I would still be freaked out being alone in the jungle for 18 days with all those noises. I would have tapped out the first night. No food, sleep deprivation, weird noises -- I'd be screaming naked through the forest too. 

• Love 5

I seriously thought the woman was going to tap out on the first day before she even took her clothes off...

It's too bad she only lasted 4 days, I thought they would have made a good team. They had been off to a good start. Poor guy seemed like he was losing his marbles all alone in the dark.

• Love 2

And what did the team do when he freaked out when the growling and prowling started? They walked up to the campsite then left?

I was waiting to see if he stabbed the beast through the shelter with his machete.  "Whoops, sorry, that was a cameraman".

• Love 3

I seriously thought the woman was going to tap out on the first day before she even took her clothes off...

Me, too.  She stood there for a long time in front of the canoe captain (canoe captain?), deciding to drop her drawers.  Then, after she did she just took off into the jungle.  Didn't even thank the nice man for the ride. 

• Love 1

The producers obviously have not done a good job selecting people so far this season. I wonder how they pair up the men and women for each episode - seems like the two who made it alone the past 2 weeks would have made a good team.

When they still did that show Naked After Dark, the casting person said that they pair people up based on what kind of drama they think would happen, not based on their survival skill compatibility.

I really liked Trent, he was funny and had a good attitude about the whole thing, even if he was scared. I'm glad that little mole seemed to last him. And hot dang was that a magnificent hut. HE MADE A DOOR! 

• Love 5

Ok, so am I the only one who thinks his bigfoot story is a coping mechanism for being molested when he was 12? Bigfoot "laid on top of him" and 30 years later he's still terrified of the dark? I really feel sorry for him because something isn't right there. 

• Love 6

Ok, so am I the only one who thinks his bigfoot story is a coping mechanism for being molested when he was 12? Bigfoot "laid on top of him" and 30 years later he's still terrified of the dark? I really feel sorry for him because something isn't right there. 

That is a good theory, honestly. It would also explain why he so earnestly believes in Bigfoot as a grown man. He HAS to rationalize it somehow. Otherwise, I can understand why a 12-year-old would think "aaah, Bigfoot!" but not why he would still believe it decades later, and say it without even a trace of self-consciousness. I mean, he didn't even say in an interview, "I know this sounds silly, but I swear I encountered a Bigfoot." He does not know that it sounds silly, folks!

• Love 2

Those animal noises at night were terrifying.  Sounded like wild boars, which I'd prefer to a big cat.  The boars wouldn't have hurt him unless he chased them, but he'd be a late night snack for a cat.

So this couple shows up, one with a fire flint, the other with a hammock (ooookaaay), and I'm thinking "what will they do for something to cut with, i.e., chop trees, gut critters"? Then, without any explanation given the guy pulls out a huge machete and proceeds to cut down bamboo. WHAAAAT?!?! OK, whatever (shrugs).

It was too bad that this couple seemed to have the best relationship/friendship and had to part ways so soon. Either the crew/editors did a good job with sound effects, or there was something DANGEROUS and CLOSE to Trent's shelter most nights, wow! They really did a good job with the scary suspense of his night terrors! Trent seemed like a really great guy, but I just really don't get the bigfoot references.

Edited by suzeecat
  • Love 2

So this couple shows up, one with a fire flint, the other with a hammock (ooookaaay), and I'm thinking "what will they do for something to cut with, i.e., chop trees, gut critters"? Then, without any explanation given the guy pulls out a huge machete and proceeds to cut down bamboo. WHAAAAT?!?! OK, whatever (shrugs).

I thought I missed something and had been meaning to rewatch because I also noticed that the machete came out of nowhere.

I thought I missed something and had been meaning to rewatch because I also noticed that the machete came out of nowhere.

Last episode the "bonus" item was paracord, this week a machete.  Of course no producer interference this week, except when he was hightailing it through the jungle, or at least not they aired.  

The exceptions they show create curiosity about what other exceptions they are hiding.

• Love 1

The guy had a great attitude and interacted with his "partner" wonderfully. He built a kick ass shelter with a door and overcame his fear of the dark. I really liked the guy--humble and funny. I don't get the big foot thing and suspect either someone played a mean prank on him or he is unconsciously protecting himself from some more human traumatic event. He didn't strike me as one of those "alien abducted me" or "I track/love bigfoot" people but more like a vicious prank or a defense mechanism to cope with a more realistic trauma (molestation or something). He seemed to genuinely fear bigfoot and not like he was trying to track big foot. I wish that big foot thing never happened to him but it detracts from his accomplishments (dealt well with a crappy partner, kick ass shelter, overcame fear, survived alone for the longest time, patience and determination in getting the mole, finding fresh water, etc. I thought he was great--he seemed to have a great sense of humor and wasn't all alpha male/macho man yet wasn't all pathetic lying down killing time like some others. He put up traps and stalked that mole. Plus he survived the longest alone.

• Love 2

Was just watching the "After Belize" clip on the Disco website.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid/videos/after-belize-2/

That night that the film crew and producer tracked Trent down when he left his well made shelter, he had radioed the "Base Camp" around 4:00.

I could not have done what he did, radio or not.  It does concern me that Disco does not represent accurately the resources available and made available to the participants.  I am not trying to 'dis' Trent or his accomplishment, I am just concerned that Disco is deceptive when it comes to the "Everest of Survival Challenges". 

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 1
On 10/13/2015 at 1:27 AM, LAgator77 said:

I doubt anyone's reading this but I watch older episodes on Discovery channel at my gym.  I saw this one yesterday and YES I agree with you that was my first thought.  

I finished my workout on day 20 but since he made it that far I assume he made it to 21 days but on what, exactly?  We never saw him eat anything.