Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Grumpy Old Liv

Seems like going out of the way to find a negative to me, but even so, in context shouldn't Clive's presumption be that Liv is insulting the police rather than African-Americans?

Or men, which is the usual way that comment is used IMO, particularly given the context of the scene (sleazy guy hitting on a woman, and a gentleman stands up for her. "You're one of the good ones." cf, a mother complimenting her daughter's boyfriends "You got yourself one of the good ones!")

It could be interpreted that way, but I think it was meant to racist. Since we were told that victim was a huge racist.

In an interview Rose McIver said she was afraid to say most of what she said. Malcolm Goodwin told her to go for it because it was the character.  

• Love 1

Allow me to represent the fibromyalgia community (of racist assholes, I guess?) by gently placing my head into my hands and sighing.I'm so glad this show is back but this episode was kind of a bummer.

I know, right? Chronic, debilitating pain sufferer here too: I'm guessing the dead guy's backstory was supposed to be that he was raised to be racist but had never acted that way until he got sick or something, but that his backstory got gutted for time until it made no sense. And wasn't there anyone in the writers' room with enough common sense and a loud enough voice to say that this stuff is not funny?? IDK. I had to turn off Seth Meyers the other night because of offensive, not funny "jokes" too, so maybe I'm just too sensitive.

Ravi and Clive are still SO freaking great.

They are the only reason I'm going to give this show one more chance. The offensive victim and his brains will be gone next week, and maybe Liv will even apologize, but the plot arcs are a little too angsty for me. Probably the only thing that could pull me back is if the new roomy decides she would rather be on Team Liv than Team Blaine.

And wow, the actor who played the hipster perp sold me 100% on how heartbroken he was to have lost his dog, gotten her back, and then been forced to leave her again (for prison).

Yes. But all he did was kick the jack. It wasn't premeditated, I don't think, and he couldn't have known it would kill him, and they showed that he was trying to rescue the guy when he stepped in the blood rather than hanging around to enjoy his demise. Wouldn't it be some sort of manslaughter charge?

Also, not really relevant to murder charges, but was the dog locked in the dead guy's basement?

Probably the only thing that could pull me back is if the new roomy decides she would rather be on Team Liv than Team Blaine.

I think she's on Team Rager, not Team Blaine.  Team Rager wants to get rid of the zombies; Team Blaine wants to make more.

• Love 2

I binged watched this show recently and was pulled in by the lead. She is truly a find. If only the leads of some other cop dramas would take notice.

The supporting cast is great too - Ravi is my favorite. This is probably the first show I watched where I started the show with zero interest in the love interest and ended up loving him. Major has had a fantastic arc and now things have gotten even more dark for him. Love ex-zombie Blaine too, although he will always be Sark to me. The actor definitely knows how to play a charismatic villain - even when I know that Blaine is a psycopath, I can't help love him. If Peyton came back and Clive got more to do, then the show would be perfect.

• Love 3

Most of my objections have been pointed out: Major's silence, unfunny scenario, etc.  Really, it would make more sense if Major had decided on his own to start hunting down the bad zombies following his success at Meat Cute.  As if he'd found his calling.

Ravi is still the best, and the New Hope jokes were fun.  I'm surprised they didn't spare a line to the fact that he is also getting over the loss of Peyton.

Do Blaine's employees realize he is now not a zombie?  He's still bleaching his hair, and unless they are taking his pulse or he eats rapturously in front of them he can probably fake it.

I was surprised to see the mental hospital patient's twin show up.

I'm confused on one thing: how come Max Rager isn't employing Ravi to come up with a cure? If they know Major is a zombie divining rod, they must know he was a temporary zombie. 

1. I think they only know what they overhear at Liv's house since the new roomie moved in and bugged the place.

2. They don't want to admit culpability. Going public or forcibly curing folks would mean more exposure.

3. That wouldn't be sufficiently EEEEEVILE

• Love 3

1. I think they only know what they overhear at Liv's house since the new roomie moved in and bugged the place.

2. They don't want to admit culpability. Going public or forcibly curing folks would mean more exposure.

3. That wouldn't be sufficiently EEEEEVILE

True. Plus even if they cure folks, there's a risk someone talks. Though I still think the least they could do for poor Major is give him a less conspicuous way of getting rid of dead zombies. Tossing them over bridges is unsanitary, and you run the risk of infecting the water with zombie blood. 

Yes, he was in the guy's basement, which only brings the poop problem closer, really.

The off-screen barking didn't sound like it was coming from a basement, but I could see somebody figuring it didn't matter.

This episode just goes to show you what kind of trouble can come from letting your dog run loose. And why you should always have jack stands or blocks when working under a car; never rely on just the jack.

I finally watched this episode and I definitely agree with how it doesn't make sense that Clive doesn't notice Liv's swinging personality changes. I wish she would either tell him that part of her visions makes her take on the personality traits or tell him the truth. But it's just not believable anymore that he would go with it.

I really hope what we saw Major do didn't really happen. That would totally ruin him for me.

I also think it's weird that nobody is worried about Peyton. Nobody looked into where she is?

• Love 1

I wonder why Clive has never talked to Ravi. They're friendly enough that he could ask Ravi if he's noticed Liv gets weird, and Ravi could say, as someone upthread mentioned, that when Liv gets a vision, she has to channel that person and something she takes on some of their characteristics.

I like that her brother was the one to tell her to go but I feel like they haven't invested enough time in him to make me care... and I think they're going to continue with that.

Blaine continues to be one of the more compelling characters but I have no idea what his plan is now. I hope things don't get too convoluted.

I don't know why but I find Major being a personal trainer very funny.

I know Clive is supposed to not know what is going on, but he's seen her be not herself before. He always gives the personalities little looks. Approves of some, rolls his eyes at others and makes the best of it. I figure he doesn't know what's up, but I wouldn't be surprised if he assumes the personality changes are related to the visions.

I can't ever understand why she doesn't just tell him this. When she does something weird because of the brains in her system and he is taken aback by it, she could say that in the process of attaining a vision she has to channel the spirit of the dead person and that can briefly alter her personality. If he buys that she is a psychic he's hardly going to nitpick about the process.

As far as episodic vs. narrative goes, the case of the week seems to be working well for them and I don't see it changing unless the ratings plummet and they decide to blow up the show and make something completely different. So yes, why don't they just have Liv tell him the personality changes are related to her visions. It would be SO EASY. One line. That's all they need.

Or men, which is the usual way that comment is used IMO, particularly given the context of the scene (sleazy guy hitting on a woman, and a gentleman stands up for her. "You're one of the good ones." cf, a mother complimenting her daughter's boyfriends "You got yourself one of the good ones!")

I actually thought "normal" Liv was going to kick back in and play it off as if she meant "men" but obviously that didn't happen. I think they really do need to do a better job balancing between her personality and that of the brain's owner. I need a better sense of how in control she is.

I finally watched this episode and I definitely agree with how it doesn't make sense that Clive doesn't notice Liv's swinging personality changes. I wish she would either tell him that part of her visions makes her take on the personality traits or tell him the truth. But it's just not believable anymore that he would go with it.

I really hope what we saw Major do didn't really happen. That would totally ruin him for me.

I also think it's weird that nobody is worried about Peyton. Nobody looked into where she is?

With the benefit of the next couple episodes, it looks like these points have been to one degree or another addressed.

In the Zombie Bro episode, Clive reacts to Liv's bro-ing out by saying, essentially, "you're like a box of chocolates...I never know what I'm going get." And Liv-bro says, "You still get chocolate, bro." Which is funny.

Yep, Major is killing zombies and dumping their bodies off a bridge. Which seems bad on multiple grounds. A. there's no guarantee their bodies won't be found or that someone won't see him do it and B. who knows how contagious zombie-ism is, and in the abstract it seems better to not let zombie-blood interact with water or fish or pretty much anything.

People were worried about Peyton and reached out to her, but she shut everyone out. After a few months of that, whatcha gonna do?