Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, mlp said:

I like all the holiday shows and I love John Henson so I'm excited that this one starts tonight.  The only downside is that the start of the shows means it'll be Christmas before we know it and I'm not ready for that.

I looked at the contestants pictures on the FN site and I'm pretty sure we've seen Aaron before and fairly recently but I can't remember where.

He was on Holiday Baking Championship Season 9.  

A lot of the contestants on the various shows look familiar.  I suspect a lot of them are on other contest shows, Christmas Cookie, and the other seasonal baking championships.   Some have also been on Guy's Grocery Games through the years too.  

I really want to see Manny Martinez's work.  His bakery in San Antonio is The Grim Bakers, all scary themed products.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Oh I liked Aaron. Glad to have him back. And Manny, he of the 2 tone hair and mustache, also looks familiar. Maybe he did the cookie challenge? Joel said he was a sugar artist, maybe he was on Halloween Wars. I'm at the age where just about everyone looks vaguely familiar.

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Oh I liked Aaron. Glad to have him back. And Manny, he of the 2 tone hair and mustache, also looks familiar. Maybe he did the cookie challenge? Joel said he was a sugar artist, maybe he was on Halloween Wars. I'm at the age where just about everyone looks vaguely familiar.

Manny does look familiar 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

No, he was on one of the baking championships and I remember seeing him on Holiday Wars.

I know he was on one of the baking challenges, but I couldn’t remember which one of the team-based Christmas shows he was on. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I was slightly surprised that they were flavoring the isomalt (and sugar) glass. I don't think I've ever seen those things get eaten before in judging.

Weren't they told that the judges would it it?

The 3 weakest bakers were VERY weak.  I'm OK with Samantha going first -- her plate was a globby mess.  

Speaking of mess, Carly is one.

I really enjoyed Aaron on the other shows so I hope he goes far on this one.

So great to see John, Stephanie, Carla.....and Zach back (for me, in that order ;). This show is a highlight in the Fall season for me -- just the warm fuzzies around Halloween and autumn. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Personal preference, but I hope there's not a lot of pistachios used in their dishes. Seems to be a go-to on these shows, and I instantly taste them every time and can't get the taste out of my mouth even though I haven't eaten any. Weird, I know. 

"Plastic wrap was invented by Satan" TRUTH.  Get these contestants some Glad press and seal!

• Like 4

Glad this show is back. Love the judges costumes. Its just fun, and Johns the best host. 

Holly's bubbles looked a little like boobs. 

Thierry's was Eh until the smoke. 

Megan's jack o'lantern was Awesome. 

Samantha's was a bit of a mess, but she even said that it was. Great shade of green tho. 

Aaron's looked like blueberry soup. I was surprised they raved over it. He's really doing the most with the poems and all, but I like him. 

Lillians looked like a bowl of literal poo lmao 

Manny's was too white. His lizard was cute but would've looked awesome air brushed as Carla mentioned. You didn't see the detail. 

JL's was a neon yellow with nipple- less boobs mess. 

Carly needs a xanax, but she's nice just nerves. Hers was 'eh'

Joel's looked so cool.  Maybe a little Mardi gra in colors but his orbs were awesome!

• Like 3

I recognized Aaron right away. I'm glad they addressed where I knew him from, or I'd have been going crazy all episode.

My absolute favorite group of judges/host. Don't forget John. "There are four people at this table." Ha.

I see a few that will be early cannon fodder, but a lot of these people seem to be talented enough that they'll be fun to watch.

The results of the cryptochamber freezing were cute/corny, but I enjoyed the bit. I wonder if they'll do a big "unfreezing" at the end of the show.

ETA: In the first segment, Carla stole my post-COVID hairdo. I knew she had good taste!

Edited by carrps
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Pi237 said:

and Zack’s subtle, “pass me your roach”

Hee.  That made me actually LOL.

Poor Carly.  She probably does well in her own environment working at her own pace but the competition setting isn't for her.  I doubt she'll last much longer but I think I'd like her if I met her in person.

So far, I like all the contestants except Megan.  She comes across (to me) as being a little too impressed with herself.  And with being on TV.  Her pumpkin was good though.

Loooove John Henson.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Pi237 said:

and Zack’s subtle, “pass me your roach”

I snort-laughed.

19 hours ago, mlp said:

So far, I like all the contestants except Megan. 

I don't mind her. She has an East Coast vibe that I see in a lot of friends/acquaintances. It took me a while to get used to this one guy I knew from Long Island, but we ended up best buds.

• Like 1

Baker: I'm just fan-girling over the 3 of you!

John: THERE ARE 4 PEOPLE AT THIS TABLE.

Me: *laughing my head off*

Oh, John, many of us here on the message board are always fan-girling over you!

Glad to see Aaron; I remember he was really good. 

That jack o'lantern cake was fantastic and looked delicious! But I also love pumpkin & sweet potato things, so there's that. 

JL is giving some Adam Driver vibes when he's shown from certain angles.

Joel seems to have a lot of finesse in his bakes. His bubbles were amazing.

Edited by Splashy
fixed some wording
  • Like 7

It seems quite a few of these contestants have turned up on multiple shows. I guess even the contestants who don't win must get enough out of it to keep entering. Are they given a payment of some sort for being on the show, or just building their brand?

10 hours ago, TVbitch said:

It seems quite a few of these contestants have turned up on multiple shows. I guess even the contestants who don't win must get enough out of it to keep entering. Are they given a payment of some sort for being on the show, or just building their brand?

I honestly don't know but I can see them building their brand and hoping for exposure. 

• Like 2
On 9/17/2024 at 11:33 AM, MerBearHou said:

So great to see John, Stephanie, Carla.....and Zach back (for me, in that order ;). This show is a highlight in the Fall season for me -- just the warm fuzzies around Halloween and autumn. 

So true!  It just warms my heart to see Jon Henson back on my t.v.  

I really like the mad scientist theme they have this year.

Interesting group on bakers this season; it will take a while to sort out who's who

• Like 4

They're rerunning the first episode right before the second episode.   Monday 6-8 pm for episode 1, and  8 to 10 pm central for episode 2.  

Next Monday is another 2 hour episode, and the next Monday is two hours also.  I'm guessing they're going to finish this show before Halloween.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
On 9/17/2024 at 1:06 PM, carrps said:

I recognized Aaron right away. I'm glad they addressed where I knew him from, or I'd have been going crazy all episode.

Me too!  I was just about to Google him when Jon mentioned he had been on Holiday Baking Championships previously.

19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They're rerunning the first episode right before the second episode.   Monday 6-8 pm for episode 1, and  8 to 10 pm central for episode 2.  

Next Monday is another 2 hour episode, and the next Monday is two hours also.  I'm guessing they're going to finish this show before Halloween.  

If I remember correctly the final episode is the Monday before Halloween.  And the week after that begins the Christmas Baking Championship 🤪

It's a fun, light distraction from the hardships of real life.  A nice breath of fresh air from the nastiness that usually comes with reality tv *cough BRAVO cough*

• Like 5
  • Love 2