Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

As exasperating as Sonny is, psychologically, I still like the way MB portrays him. Sonny as MB presents him is a charming reptilian with dark eyes that stare unblinkingly at prey, a woman, or an enemy. His eyes are particularly cold and disturbing. His lean but muscular figure has catlike strength and balance. His voice growls as if he is an animal inside a human shell. Sonny is something more than human, and that's not reassuring.

That said, I don't get why babies and children like him, unless they are connecting with the actor and not the persona.

IMO Laura Wright is now trying to portray Carly as an independent take-no-prisoners Carmela Soprano, an interpretation I prefer to her former portrayal as a loving wife to Sonny.

• Love 1

Robin's a thoughtful person, but she's not a saint. She sees her friend on the bridge about to kill himself, she's got to think quick. (Or not about to kill himself - maybe she had doubts that he would actually going to go through with it.) In any case, she has to think of stuff that would stop Sonny specifically from killing himself. 

Plus Robin is angry. Like I said above, she's human - should she be thinking of herself as a doctor first? Yes, but she isn't. She sees Sonny, after hurting someone he loves for the one billionth time, about to possibly kill himself, so she said whatever came to mind to stop him.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Robin's a human, she's not a saint. She sees her friend on the bridge about to kill himself, she's got to think quick. (Or not about to kill himself - maybe she had doubts that he would actually going to go through with it.) In any case, she has to think of stuff that would stop Sonny specifically from killing himself. 

Plus Robin is angry. Like I said above, she's human - should she be thinking of herself as a doctor first? Yes, but she's isn't. She sees Sonny, after hurting someone he loves for the one billionth time, about to possibly kill himself, so she said whatever came to mind to stop him.

Exactly. She needed to get through to SONNY. A person she shared specific experiences with, which is why she brought up Stone and his will to live as long as he could. Sonny watched that. She also brought up her OWN suicide attempt of sorts. She was speaking of herself and how she felt in that moment and how Jason had to snap her back to reality and make her realize jumping off the bridge wasn't the answer. The Sonny/Robin scene was not a doctor/patient moment, nor was it supposed to be a showcase of the "perfect and correct way to speak on suicide." Not all humans say the "right" things all the time.

• Love 3

Sonny has threatened to kill himself before and never goes through with it. He's indulging his self-pity, self-hate, and guilt. Robin knows this. She's taking him seriously, and I think she's telling him what he needs to hear. Suggesting therapy isn't going to work with Sonny. (He hit on Lainey, the world's worst therapist, during the BPD story. He'd probably pistol-whip Kevin or Andre if they tried to get him to dig deep.) So Robin talked to him using things she knew would make him think.

• Love 6

Griffith's mention of needing to go in front of the bishop triggered warm fuzzies if Monty Python's skit "The Bishop" and how it could have been folded in the current plotline:

* Car drives up to Jason and Morgan *

"Morgan! Stay in the car! Don't get off the seat!"

* Morgan gets out, big kaboom *

"We wuz too late! The Stupid Little Shit done got himself blown up!"

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

So Robin talked to him using things she knew would make him think.

This. That's all it was. It was far from a professional threapy session. How could it be in a moment when he's holding a GUN TO HIS BODY? You try to say whatever you can to get them to listen and put the gun down. "Think about Stone! Think about Carly and Dante and your daughters! You think you're to blame for Morgan's death? Deal with it and don't leave it for the people you love to do it on their own."

• Love 3

I just wish Robin would've let Sonny kill himself, but obviously she's a good person or whatever so it wasn't in the cards. Also, Sonny wouldn't have done it anyway because it was just the same self-pitying bullshit he always pulls when his actions harm his children. Sigh.

I really should not be watching this show anymore lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 10

I was also reminded during the scene that Robin also talked Maxie out of suicide, when Maxie (completely out of nowhere) decided she was going to overdose on pills because she couldn't handle not being able to see Georgie.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I was also reminded during the scene that Robin also talked Maxie out of suicide, when Maxie (completely out of nowhere) decided she was going to overdose on pills because she couldn't handle not being able to see Georgie.

That reminds me of Ghost Georgie touching Robin on the shoulder and Robin felt it. :( I miss that family so much.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Fuck Maxie.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

...when Maxie (completely out of nowhere) decided she was going to overdose on pills because she couldn't handle not being able to see Georgie.

Sounds like a pretty shallow excuse for suicide, and a sad commentary on Maxie's own shallow/not smart mind and the poor parenting she received growing up. Faced with the problem Maxie was having, her first sources for relief  to this temporary problem should have been (not necessarily in the following order):

• A competent lawyer
  • A competent counselor or psychologist
  • Compassionate, clear-thinking friends
  • A spiritual advisor
  • Meditation and self-help texts
  • Prayer

The show should make a point of including references to such helpful sources if it wants to do a story about suicide or suicidal thoughts, IMO.

2 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

This. That's all it was. It was far from a professional threapy session. How could it be in a moment when he's holding a GUN TO HIS BODY? 

Absolutely. She explained she came to the bridge to "say Hi to Stone." She did not race to the bridge to talk Sonny down, after hearing he was talking about suicide and had disappeared with a gun. She was taken aback to see Sonny there, holding a gun ... in the general location where they had scattered Stone's ashes so many years ago. Kim McC did a great job of acting Robin's surprise, sadness, and anger. 

• Love 1

Rocco was super cute dressed up like a cop today.  And hey, he managed to escape whatever Phantom Zone Cameron and Aiden are trapped in, good for him!

Lucy's obvious relief when Laura said she was moving in with Lulu and not Kevin, heh.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3

I'm not sure why Lucy cares about Laura and Kevin. Hasn't it been years since they were together? They broke up after she cheated on him with Scotty, right? I guess she's like Liz in that she always expects her men to wait around for her and never move on.

Kevin's costume was ugly. Rocco and Danny were cute. But the true MVP was Laura's sparkly skirt.

Bobbie being suspicious of Nelle seems contrived, but I'm grateful for anything that will get her storyline rolling in an interesting direction.

Today was like the 127th installment of Kristina trying and failing to win her father's love and affection. Maybe if he had successfully blown her up that one time he'd spare her more than a passing thought.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Michel said:

See, as frustrating as it was to watch Michael forgive Sonny over a year ago, I did get a bit of a vibe that he was only cautiously forgiving him, probably having a suspicion that he'd hurt him and/or the rest of the family again.  And now, seeing how down and depressed he is, it's clear that it's hit him like a ton of bricks that forgiving him was probably a mistake because he's done it again -- hurt him and the rest of the family.  Like Michael himself said, Sonny never means to hurt those he loves.  But he still manages to do it.  Over and over again.  And he finally accepted that it's a cycle that's never going to stop.

I agree.  I feel like the writers have finally picked up on viewers frustration that Michael shouldn't just forgive Sonny and move on, and I think you hit the nail on the head.  Like Michael said, he knows how the mob works.  So he understands how things can go horribly wrong, but he also knows that Sonny gives his word and then still does whatever the hell he thinks needs to be done.  You could hear it in Michael's voice, the anger coming back when he was talking about AJ - which I loved.  The loss of Morgan, however, has shattered Michael because that's his little brother, and like it or not, Michael has had to be a rock in many ways for both of his parents and his younger brother.  Like he he said, he feels he failed him, but he also knows that Sonny will do whatever Sonny wants, and he's never going to change.  I was very happy that Michael was still holding onto his anger at the close of the episode.  I'm tired of him always forgiving.

16 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I agree that Chad did a great job with the Michael-Carly scenes today. However, I hate that the full weight of Michael's pain (AJ and now Morgan too) is still being glossed over/dismissed by his so-called devoted mother. 

She should have said, "You never should have been made to feel responsible for any of us in the first place after you got shot in the head just for being near Sonny. I am so sorry for everything you've suffered because of our mistakes." 

Valid points.  The problem is that I don't see the writers ever putting words into Sonny or Carly's mouths about what they did to AJ and Michael and what their actions caused.  I agree completely that it would be FANTASTIC if Carly actually brought up her part in what happened to AJ and just made this full throated confession and apology to Michael, but that's never going to happen.  I was stunned that Michael even got to mention AJ and what Sonny did to him.  I thought that was completely whitewashed.  So I guess I'll take what I can get at this point.

14 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

This Jordan/Curtis thing is extremely lame. I really want to like her but they need to give her a proper story that doesn't involve her being another incompetent cop or or being a judgmental shrew. And for whatever it's worth I think she and Curtis actually have some chemistry and could be much more compelling than Curtis/that Val girl. 

I can't stand Jordan.  I swear she just judges people and interferes in other people's business.  How exactly is Curtis so terrible for taking a PI job for Julian?  He's not WORKING for Julian.  He's not a hit man or a stooge or anything else.  He was hired to investigate something, and Jordan is acting like he is Julian's right-hand man.  She has been terrible to the men in her life - all of them:  Thomas, Sean, and TJ - and Curtis.  She was forgiven by three of those men, and the last guy wants her forgiveness for I-don't-even-know-what, and she won't give it.  Yet, she takes every opportunity to treat him like a screw up.   I hate her as a character.  I wish she and Valerie would just go - and they can take Nina too.

13 hours ago, stlbf said:

I've never understood why the show has Robin be such a mob apologist. Only when it comes to the goons she cares about, of course. B

Robin has ALWAYS been in Sonny's corner.  Period.  I don't see her as a mob apologist.  She's a Sonny apologist, but she also has had him be very good to her and to Stone over the years.  So I get why she loves him.  I don't think everyone has to hate Sonny just because.  Robin has very good reasons for loving Sonny, and I don't consider it propping.  jmo.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Linny said:

I'm not sure why Lucy cares about Laura and Kevin. Hasn't it been years since they were together? They broke up after she cheated on him with Scotty, right? I guess she's like Liz in that she always expects her men to wait around for her and never move on.

Wasn't the last time we saw Lucy and Kevin soon after Kevin got shot and she visited him in the hospital, and she pretty much gave him her blessing to pursue Laura because she could tell Kevin liked her? I don't know why she's jealous now, not to mention asking Laura where she'll be living and literally sagging in relief that Laura isn't moving in with Kevin.

I mean, Lucy has given her signoff on Kevin and Laura a few times, but her being relieved that they're not moving in together slash getting more serious and maybe, maaaybe, the door is still open for her...I dunno, that's very human.

A related question, though - are Lucy and Scotty still sleeping together or dating or whatever they were doing?  They haven't shared scenes in quite a while now, Scotty's always with Ava.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Best part of the episode? Bobbie giving Nelle the stink eye. JZ looks good with the bangs. 

It's clear to me that Bobbie recognizes this very situation.  She went through it with Carly, after all, and she can see what's coming her daughter's way now.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Michel said:

It's clear to me that Bobbie recognizes this very situation.  She went through it with Carly, after all, and she can see what's coming her daughter's way now.

I was thinking the same thing.  Bobbie's been through this dance and knows the steps too well, but please don't make Nelle Carly's long lost daughter somehow.  

I'm still pissed Sonny didn't pull that trigger.  Now it appears we're entering phase 600 of the never ending mourning for Morgan, Sonny's hallucinations.  Can't they just bury the kid and call it good?

The little kids were cute.  Hauling them out for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas is just about the right amount.  I did kind of miss Josslyn of the Corn.

Laura and Kevin are still a good match and Lucy's jealousy doesn't surprise me.  She's always been that way and she has been never much of a Laura fan.

I'm still a huge James Patrick Stuart fan and even though the introduction of Valentin was horrendous, I did squee just a little when he pulled off the mask.

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Michel said:

Bobbie talking about BJ today drew even more attention to this identical setup - a woman's (Bobbie/Carly) marriage is rocked by the death of a child (BJ/Morgan), which allows a scheming woman who pitches herself as her friend (Carly/Nelle) to get her claws into her family.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3

lol at Morgan's scorched clothing. It looked like he was wearing seaweed as camouflage.

They need to recast Rocco, poor kid looked like he was frozen.

KSt is about 10 times more animated with ER than anyone else.

Alexis is bugging the crap out of me. She needs to go volunteer or something.

Did Nathan really whip out his laptop in bed to search for Claud? Hot.

Suspicious Bobbie is such a nice change of pace from "talking in a baby voice to everyone" Bobbie. 

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, LegalParrot81 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Bobbie's been through this dance and knows the steps too well, but please don't make Nelle Carly's long lost daughter somehow.  

I'd prefer she'd be AJ (or even Tony's daughter) than Carly's, but I'd take her being Carly's daughter over being an undercover cop, which would be unspeakably lame.

2 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Maxie is impulsive and selfish but she's not shallow or stupid.* 

*At least not pre-Plywood

Well, she wasn't stupid. ;) Mostly. If I had to fanwank Maxie's suicide attempt, I'd just say that Maxie was depressed. As it was, it was just a lazy shorthand way for Ron to show that no, really, Maxie was super-sad she didn't have custody, please ignore that from then on Maxie really didn't care that much.

55 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Dante has a full grown beard and is wearing flannel. Just how good 'ol small town gal Sammy likes it. 

I thought Sam was supposed to be a sophisticated suave scuba ship scavenger!

I like it better when you pimp Dante/Robin. She can buy him whiskey at every bar in town!

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I thought Sam was supposed to be a sophisticated suave scuba ship scavenger!

I like it better when you pimp Dante/Robin. She can buy him whiskey at every bar in town!

I like making fun of Mrs. Samantha Cleaver, tho.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

lol at Morgan's scorched clothing. It looked like he was wearing seaweed as camouflage.

They need to recast Rocco, poor kid looked like he was frozen.

KSt is about 10 times more animated with ER than anyone else.

Alexis is bugging the crap out of me. She needs to go volunteer or something.

Did Nathan really whip out his laptop in bed to search for Claud? Hot.

Suspicious Bobbie is such a nice change of pace from "talking in a baby voice to everyone" Bobbie. 

I vote for a recast Rocco as well.  And I'll likely get hung for this, but I'll say it as I see it.  The only time I remember his having a real smile and a response was with Valerie back in the day. 

As for KSt, my unsolicited opinion is that she falls into the real life Kirsten/Emme friendship in Maxie's scenes with Lulu - and doing so gives an energy she lacks elsewhere.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I legit don't even remember Rocco scenes. Has he ever spoken? 

I think he babbled a few words here and there in one scene last year last year where Lulu read him a book, but that's about it.

29 minutes ago, Aurora2 said:

I vote for a recast Rocco as well.  And I'll likely get hung for this, but I'll say it as I see it.  The only time I remember his having a real smile and a response was with Valerie back in the day. 

I don't know if this is the Valerie scene you're talking about, but I remember him smiling here with Dante as well:

https://youtu.be/bUsnCSRk2-M?t=6

Edited by ulkis

Rocco looked like he was plotting someone's murder. He wasn't too excited to be dressed up for Halloween. Hee.

"I have no candy in the house, but the liquor store delivery should be here soon. You wanna wait around with me for that, Danny?"

Sonny and Carly were not wrong to be mad at Morgan for plagiarizing. I wish they'd stop using that as an example of their (mostly Sonny's) guilt. It's like the show is saying plagiarism isn't a bad thing.

Dead Morgan was UCG. They didn't even try.

Valentin's unmasking was good soap, for a change.

• Love 7

Please tell me that KMc didn't come back for just one day. Cuz that would be redonkulous!

Love JZ and side eyeing Nelle.  Alexis is developing a drinking problem? Not loving this SL. It's just been done to death on soaps. I just went back and watched Alexis reading everyone for filth at Kristina's funeral. I miss that Alexis Davis.

Edited by rags
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Did y'all notice Sam eyeing Dante when he walked into the room? Watch out, Lulu.

She was eyeing that candy.  (and I mean the real candy, not the eye candy).  Just say no to Dam.  They have too many siblings in common. 

Danny was adorable today, but the Scout thing is already driving me bonkers.  They better not name that baby Scout. 

Was it supposed to matter that Alexis told Valentin that Sam was preggers?  I saw it pointed out a few places....but he can also just LOOK AT HER.  That's not a burger belly.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Best part of the episode? Bobbie giving Nelle the stink eye. JZ looks good with the bangs. 

I'm glad someone finally noticed that Nelle is too perfect.  I think women, generally, can spot deception in another woman.  Carly is too indebted to Nelle and now with Morgan's death, she can't see it, but Bobbie - who has manipulated her fair share of people - can see Nelle unmasked.  It was great to see someone shine some light on the fact that Nelle is up to something.  I just hope that Nelle isn't Carly's daughter.  I heard that she is not.

6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Wasn't the last time we saw Lucy and Kevin soon after Kevin got shot and she visited him in the hospital, and she pretty much gave him her blessing to pursue Laura because she could tell Kevin liked her? I don't know why she's jealous now, not to mention asking Laura where she'll be living and literally sagging in relief that Laura isn't moving in with Kevin.

Lucy will always have a thing for Doc.  She knows what she threw away, and she's jealous that Laura is going to get a good man while she settles for Scotty (whom I also love).  I actually am thrilled that Lucy is eating crow.  She hurt Kevin badly, and very publicly.  He deserves some happiness and so does Laura.  Too little too late, Lucy.

6 hours ago, Michel said:

I still can't figure out Nelle's endgame.  Bobbie mentioned that Nelle is making herself invaluable to Carly, but I don't see her trying to seduce Sonny (thank God).  If this wasn't a soap, I would think Nelle was a decent person, but since this is a soap, no one is THAT perfect.  

5 hours ago, Lillybee said:

Is this MB week on GH? He has been on every day eating most of the show. I am so tired of Sonny. On a lighter note did Avery get stuck with Joss's corn costume.

I think MB has been fantastic in this storyline, but I agree that there is way too much of Sonny's pov regarding Morgan's death and not enough of anyone else's.  I mean Dante seems to have gotten over Morgan's death because he and Lulu spent more time today talking about the loss of Nikolas than Morgan.  Michael gets face time every couple of days and Kristina might get one shout out each week.  I think the story needs to move on from Sonny and his pity party, although I have more sympathy for him than Alexis.  Sonny at least feels the pain and guilt.  Can someone explain what is wrong with Alexis?  Yeah, she made a bad choice, but she's acting like the world did her wrong.  SHE made the choices that got her suspended, and she chose to ignore Julian's past.  I don't know.  She is just annoying me lately.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Bishop said:

Can someone explain what is wrong with Alexis?  Yeah, she made a bad choice, but she's acting like the world did her wrong.  SHE made the choices that got her suspended, and she chose to ignore Julian's past.  I don't know.  She is just annoying me lately.

It's the double whammy of losing her career and Julian. Although it's the latter that's tripping me up. I just never bought Julian as the great love of her life, so her losing it over him doesn't ring true to me and just makes me frustrated with her. Maybe they can bring Ric back for her?

• Love 4