Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

Oh, okay. I missed the intro. Maybe his mom "chose life" instead of an abortion? Or maybe he was a sickly newborn? 

Who knows why some people name their kids the things they do. I always feel sorry for the kids who are given their parent's name, or a close facsimile e.g. Carol and Carolyn, John Sr. and John Jr. To me, that's just putting honoring the adult before the child, who is going to have to spend their life saddled with expectations. 

I've  got relatives who did that, and now that the kid is an adult and the diminuitive that we used to use is no longer fitting, when you call out the name, the father and the son both answer.  A real PITA. 

Edited by DownTheShore

I knew a couple who had twins, a boy and a girl.  They named them Aaron and Erin.  Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

I liked that the Ohio woman didn't want all the usual HH things.  I'm not a fan of open concept either.  But I really didn't get not wanting an en suite bathroom.  As someone said, it would be one thing to not care one way or the other, but to actively not want it seemed strange to me.  

Edited by camom
  • Love 1

But I really didn't get not wanting an en suite bathroom.  As someone said, it would be one thing to not care one way or the other, but to actively not want it seemed strange to me.

To be fair, some of us don't want to hear and/or smell what is coming out of our spouses.

• Love 1

According to that report, the Kitchen Cousins each filed for bankruptcy in order to weasel out of a lien being applied against them as a result of the $857,894 arbitration ruling against them on grounds of consumer fraud, breach of contract, fraud and negligence. 

Pond scum. 

A good bankruptcy attorney can either pursue the claim in the bankruptcy court or possibly set aside the bankruptcy, if they filed in bad faith, IMHO. 

Besides that, everyone hear about the way the unmarried cousin treated his tenant/neighbor in that loft building they built?

Yeah, pond scum ...

To be fair, some of us don't want to hear and/or smell what is coming out of our spouses.

Again, you're essentially paying for space away from the neighbors!

Edited by aguabella

I don't know how they could afford a house that expensive. She was a retail store manager, and he did something in middle management, but it's not like he's the CEO or EVP of a company. Maybe they're fiscally responsible and have managed money well over their short lives. Or maybe they have rich parents (that's my throwback excuse whenever a couple is living better than I am). 

You never know.  Some people manage windfalls (e.g. inheritances) better than others. 

I typically either ignore the realtors or don't notice them.  Their realtor's apparently a sales leader in the area.  I noticed she didn't appear to highlight certain drawbacks to the various homes.

Couldn't believe it when they'd spent some $$$ on that kitchen!  It was obvious the previous owner threw up cheap, stock cabinets, covering that pass-through window.  Why throw good money after bad?  Wait until you're ready to redo the entire kitchen.  But, that's just how I'd go about it.

The Nashville group did look alike. 

Was it the 3rd house that was in the other neighborhood?  Well, in any event, it came off as the HH fill-in home to me, rounding out the episode - that-is, a home they wouldn't have seen during their real-life tour.

Nashville doesn't sound like that hot of a market, if they could score that place w/o a bidding war.  I hope their "transitional" neighborhood does indeed, transition.  They don't always, unfortunately.

• Love 1

I hope their "transitional" neighborhood does indeed, transition.  They don't always, unfortunately.

We have a neighbourhood like that near me.  Real estate agents and other interested parties keep insisting it is in transition.  No one has gotten around to telling the hookers and drug dealers that though.  It's been "in transition" for over 10 years now.  I really wouldn't have wanted to have bought there counting on being able to sell for a fortune when the big transition actually happens.

• Love 1

Did anyone catch the Allen, TX episode last night??? That bulldozing, obnoxious princess, we can spend much more than the budget & "oh, there will be a third child" wife. Yikes!!!

I did. She was something else. I used to record and watch every show, from the very beginning of HH. But the same old producer lines every show - it is so predictable. They walked into the new build and said it had all been updated. Huh? It's a brand new frikkin' house! Ugh. HH is no longer must see TV for me.

• Love 2

Did anyone catch the Allen, TX episode last night??? That bulldozing, obnoxious princess, we can spend much more than the budget & "oh, there will be a third child" wife. Yikes!!!

I deleted her when she said she had no sense of style of her own so she wanted everything done for her. I mean, points for self-awareness, I guess, but I was thinking "That feels like something you shouldn't admit." And it also meant that I was in for a series of cookie cutter houses, so I opted out.

• Love 2

Wow. Denver roller derby couple. They have a freeloading "permanent houseguest" who loafs in their couch? Who moved with them from OK and is staying in a small apt with them? Something's fishy there.

I was liking them initially but they lost me at "I NEED a huge master bath".

She was literally in s clown costume. Rainbows everywhere and multicolored iridescent eyeshadow. I'm sure she was going for kooky and ironically unique but it was clownish and unflattering.

House #1 was beautiful. I'm glad they chose it.

The episode in NOLA where the 1st house is across the street from our daughter's house is on right now. It's on Clara Street in Uptown. I'm always amused to see their house and van parked out front in some of the shots.  We spent several years visiting them looking out at that house that was a wreck after Katrina. It's nice to see it redone. Our daughter says if you look closely at their windows  you can probably see 4 curious granddaughter noses watching the cameras. :)

t

• Love 1

Back to the Ocean Beach episode, I just saw this post from the wife on FB:

"Thanks for watching Proud to be owners in OB III. Our cottage is on owned land. Just so everyone knows, I had to create some drama so no one would easily guess we would pick the beach bungalow. Love the area and our new OB III neighbors."

Late post on the Jersey Shore family (sorry):

Will give the Shore wife the benefit of the doubt that she'd had some FB questions about the owned v. leased land issue.  But she had to "create some drama" ??  Uh, no, that's way above her pay grade!  She played the role assigned to her, uttering the lines as provided or suggested. 

The producers select the plot.  If they preferred, perhaps it might have been she wanted the beach bungalow for the reduced maintenance and/or he'd grown up at the lake.  Or, the kids had more friends to hang out with at the beach.  Or, it might have been any number of other stories.

Don't worry, sweetheart - we guessed you took the beach bungalow.  Better acting luck next time, keep creating that drama!

Thanks for posting her FB comments, DownTheShore.  Will assume she just misspoke or neglected to edit that comment, accidentally increasing her importance.  I'm sure she impressed her friends and sounds like that was the goal, lol!

Edited by aguabella

A few episodes ago I figured out which house they picked pretty quickly. Husband complained that one house didn't have enough kitchen cabinets. Realtor says "There's a big pantry right there" and points to a closed door that the husband is standing right next to. Husband says,"Oh" and doesn't open the door like any other normal house hunter would. I realized then that a lot of their personal stuff must have been stashed in there while filming.

Just curious, AngelToes.  Not a big deal but was this a regular HH episode, i.e. not International?  They've never filmed the U.S. version that way.  In the states, they have plenty of applicants so there's no need to go to that trouble.  They need not work with existing residents, removing their personal possessions and using the "furnished unit" excuse to avoid extra moving. 

In the U.S., they can find sufficient numbers of new homeowners who have recently closed on residences or don't mind delaying a move, post-close, to score that incredible 15 minutes of fame!  (Ok, ok, it's 22 minutes, lol.)  They don't allow them to move so much as a single item into the home.

WRT the statement about the pantry you mentioned, I would expect a competent realtor to have previewed a listing in order to have general familiarity with the home's layout, prior to touring it with his/her clients.  (Thus, the realtor might make that comment prior to opening the pantry's door.)  And, it's possible they filmed said tour but the episode editor cut it for time. 

BTW, I understand they typically stash the HHI participant possessions in a garage or other outbuilding, side of a terrace or even down the stairs in a walk-up unit.  I imagine they'd prefer the option to film / highlight a pantry.

Incidentally, I've always assumed HHI lacks applicants overseas b/c the shows don't air internationally, except for Canada.  No wonder they score a few extra $$$ by having their pals as realtors or buying buddies - not to mention using the friend's place as one of the options!

If anyone's interested and hasn't heard these things before ...

Edited by aguabella

Just curious, AngelToes.  Not a big deal but was this a regular HH episode, i.e. not International?  They've never filmed the U.S. version that way.  In the states, they have plenty of applicants so there's no need to go to that trouble.  They need not work with existing residents, removing their personal possessions and using the "furnished unit" excuse to avoid extra moving. 

In the U.S., they can find sufficient numbers of new homeowners who have recently closed on residences or don't mind delaying a move, post-close, to score that incredible 15 minutes of fame!  (Ok, ok, it's 22 minutes, lol.)  They don't allow them to move so much as a single item into the home.

WRT the statement about the pantry you mentioned, I would expect a competent realtor to have previewed a listing in order to have general familiarity with the home's layout, prior to touring it with his/her clients.  (Thus, the realtor might make that comment prior to opening the pantry's door.)  And, it's possible they filmed said tour but the episode editor cut it for time. 

BTW, I understand they typically stash the HHI participant possessions in a garage or other outbuilding, side of a terrace or even down the stairs in a walk-up unit.  I imagine they'd prefer the option to film / highlight a pantry.

Incidentally, I've always assumed HHI lacks applicants overseas b/c the shows don't air internationally, except for Canada.  No wonder they score a few extra $$$ by having their pals as realtors or buying buddies - not to mention using the friend's place as one of the options!

If anyone's interested and hasn't heard these things before ...

Maybe that will eventually become the norm, but as of now there are plenty of HH (not international) that show some of the owners "stuff" in the house and garage. Sometimes it's so obvious as a large screen tv mounted to the wall, a brand new sofa, a sectional with a sheet thrown over it, etc.
  • Love 1

We have a neighbourhood like that near me.  Real estate agents and other interested parties keep insisting it is in transition.  No one has gotten around to telling the hookers and drug dealers that though.  It's been "in transition" for over 10 years now.  I really wouldn't have wanted to have bought there counting on being able to sell for a fortune when the big transition actually happens.

Reminds me of the Baltimore episode where the agent took the home buyer to see a house in a "transitioning" neighborhood near Druid Hill Park.  From what I've heard, that neighborhood did indeed transition - from marginal to downright bad.

Reminds me of the Baltimore episode where the agent took the home buyer to see a house in a "transitioning" neighborhood near Druid Hill Park.  From what I've heard, that neighborhood did indeed transition - from marginal to downright bad.

That's right - you just never know.  The more things change, the more they ...

Still nothing more important than location, location and location in RE.

Late post (sorry) about the shipping container guy in FL:

Thanks, mom2two for doing this research.  Taking your results a tad farther, I noticed that their home was never listed for sale, never meaning since they purchased it around 2007, IIRC.  Even though they purchased pre-crash, at 137K, again IIRC, their monthly housing cost appears manageable.

So, I doubt they're having any serious financial problems and don't believe they have any intentions of moving.  No need to worry about the kids crammed into the top bunk.

I believe his backyard container is technically his model home.  (Bet he scored the moving costs out of the production company, lol.)  His neighbors are probably busy, checking out the city regulations as we post!

Well, if they'd been living in that ton of junk, at least the bunk situation was a form of forced birth control!  Cute kids, play-acting for the cameras.

(BTW, am not posting the link to their home for their own privacy.)

• Love 1

I saw an episode in Hawaii or Austen, Tex.  (they all ran together)  some time yesterday and the reason they didn't take one house was "too much work".  The work?  The electrical plug and switch plates in the kitchen didn't match.  I swear to you that was the only work and the husband's remark was that it was too much to do.

I had to replay it back to be sure.  You know I was shocked.

Hawaii or Austin??  Because they're so much alike, hahaha ...

Just joshin' you, NYGirl.  I do the same thing, watching as I konk out for the day.  They all run together, especially the cookie cutter, tract homes.

BTW, to give the Austin wife a break - not that she needs one, lol - the editors replayed her switchplate comment during the short, abbreviated, selection scene, prior to the reveal.  When the couple toured the home, i.e. the longer scene, they did mention several items that had (!) to be changed out to bring it up to their exacting standards, haha.

I thought that Victorian was a B&B, too. That front desk was the elephant in the room that no one was mentioning, and the realtor didn't mention doing any conversions.

The Gainsville couple seemed to be good people, and it was refreshing to have someone who just appreciated the fact of owning their own house.

Late post on the Gainesville episode (sorry):

I noticed the front desk also but didn't believe the home was set up to function as a B&B, based on my limited review of the HH filmed tour.  Checked out the home and noticed it's featured on a historical society (IIRC) self-guided, walking tour of classic Victorian homes.  Given that, I suspect the front desk typically contains maps and other tour information. 

Pulled the information but didn't save it, unfortunately.  If anyone's interested in the tour info but doesn't find it online, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help, if possible.

The exterior of La Crosse Victorian might be my dream home. The fact ththat it was cheaper than a studio condo where I live made it even better. I hope someone who isn't into tanning buys it and updates it to be aas awesome on the interinterior!

The exterior of La Crosse Victorian might be my dream home. The fact ththat it was cheaper than a studio condo where I live made it even better. I hope someone who isn't into tanning buys it and updates it to be aas awesome on the interinterior!

• Love 1

People in my neighborhood bought an old house with a detached garage, then moved the garage forward until it was near the back corner of the house and connected them by adding a mud room/laundry between the two buildings. 

Edited to add: Tonight's episode with the NJ to Atlanta couple made me embarrassed to be from New Jersey. She was a caricature of an aging Jersey girl with her big hair, too tight clothes and spike heels and I thought she was pretty insufferable with her "Falcon Crest" allusions (which the young realtor didn't "get" at all) and if said the word GRAND one more time...

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 3

Beautiful, classic homes in Lacrosse.  Nice guys but glad they passed on the Victorian.  Loved it but didn't get the sense they were the right ones to do that house.  Tons of work!

Interesting that both homes had been over-oaked or oaked-out (!!!) in the 1980's.  If the budget's tight, they could either paint or reface those solid kitchen cabs.  Eventually, they'd work well for either garage or basement storage.  Yep, no attached garages in older homes!

Hoping they abandon their plans to refinish those beautiful floors in their home.  (Darker floors are out now, anyway.)  it'd be a better use of the $$$, IMHO, to build a breezeway between the home's back door and the detached garage's side door.  The picnic table can move to the other patio, away from the garage.

Nice balcony off the master.  That pass-through bedroom looked like a future master bath or walk-in closet, waiting to happen.  Maybe run the plumbing a short distance to it and set up a separate master.  Or, keep the balcony master, adjoin the pass-through master bath and turn the powder room into a small walk-in closet.

If they passed on the 2nd master, remodeling the first with the added full bath and new walk-in, they'd need another entryway to that back bedroom.  Didn't see it but there's probably a way.

If any of that made sense, lol.  In the meantime, I hope the one guy doesn't ruin his good kicks gardening and painting! 

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I agree about not staining the floors darker in the LaCrosse house.  The finish on that floor is original and has stood the test of time.  Dark floors show everything -  dust, dog and cat hair, etc.  I, too, think they are trendy and might be fading from favor.  If an attached garage is important, I also would figure out a way to provide a sheltered walk from the house to the garage.  I can understand wanting that in LaCrosse where the winters are harsh.  Although I knew they would not buy the 3rd house, I was glad that it was eliminated from the list.  Absolutely 100% bland and out in the country where they did not want to be.  I can't remember if the house they bought had a basement.  If so, that is a lot of square footage of which I am envious for storage purposes.       

Tonight's episode with the NJ to Atlanta couple made me embarrassed to be from New Jersey. She was a caricature of an aging Jersey girl with her big hair, too tight clothes and spike heels and I thought she was pretty insufferable with her "Falcon Crest" allusions (which the young realtor didn't "get" at all) and if said the word GRAND one more time...

I agree!  If I heard "Falcon Crest" one more time.  Which ran from 1981 to 1990, which sort of gives away her age bracket.  Also, wasn't FC a bunch of very rich people -- so unless she has a few million squirreled away, it ain't gonna happen.  I thought she looked like a sausage stuffed into her clothes -- way tooooo tight!  

Edited by karasmom
  • Love 4

I agree!  If I heard "Falcon Crest" one more time.  Which ran from 1981 to 1990, which sort of gives away her age bracket.  Also, wasn't FC a bunch of very rich people -- so unless she has a few million squirreled away, it ain't gonna happen.  I thought she looked like a sausage stuffed into her clothes -- way tooooo tight!  

I did like the husband. He seemed to be the polar opposite of his wife. Down to earth, calm, doesn't take himself (or his wife) too seriously--I guess opposites attract. 

And I thought they said they were going to downsize, but the houses they looked at were all 3-4000 sq feet. Wasn't that the size of their NJ home? 

• Love 1

IIRC, it was the (seemingly nice, normal) HUSBAND who wanted to downsize. She just wanted bigger and better since you could get more bang for your buck in Atlanta and she always got her way. But, I missed it, wasn't it just the two of them there full-time? 

They have two boys. One is 17 and one is 11, almost 12. 

--The one thing the husband pushed for was a nice-sized yard, so he could play ball with the boys. Which he did not get. 

But the wife got her Falcon Crest looking house. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

They have two boys. One is 17 and one is 11, almost 12.

Oh, you're right. Thanks! Now I remember the husband mentioning how much he liked the one yard. I guess I zoned out whenever she got to the word "grand" and everything after that was "blah blah blah...Falcon Crest...blah blah blah"

I liked the husband too but I didn't like the wife. (I also thought he was a lot more attractive than she was, although that may have been because I liked his personality better.) I tend to fall on the more practical side of things, and that was clearly more husband than wife. She didn't strike me as very practical at all - very stereotypical American, wanting more more more. I kept thinking "That is WAY too much house," particularly when they showed the place with a workout room and a "bonus living space."

I liked their realtor - she looked like someone I'd want to be friends with. She was either really tall or the couple was really short (maybe both) - she towered over them!

I agree about not staining the floors darker in the LaCrosse house.  The finish on that floor is original and has stood the test of time.  Dark floors show everything -  dust, dog and cat hair, etc.  I, too, think they are trendy and might be fading from favor.  If an attached garage is important, I also would figure out a way to provide a sheltered walk from the house to the garage.  I can understand wanting that in LaCrosse where the winters are harsh.  Although I knew they would not buy the 3rd house, I was glad that it was eliminated from the list.  Absolutely 100% bland and out in the country where they did not want to be.  I can't remember if the house they bought had a basement.  If so, that is a lot of square footage of which I am envious for storage purposes.       

Although small, the basement was finished, including built-in storage.  If they simply change out the vile, probably moldy carpeting and paint, they can set up a nice den or media room.  Or, as you mentioned, laredhead, it'd provide ample storage.

Thinking about their possible breezeway and final scene at the picnic table, anyone else wonder why homeowners always seem to set up their outdoor dining space adjacent to a garage?  Have a few fumes with your BBQ!

Here's hoping they retain the gorgeous floors, build their connecting breezeway and/or at minimum, relocate the dining space to the other side of the patio!

I loved the Trini couple in Brooklyn because they reminded me of my family. I have roots in Trinidad and Barbados, and that side settled in Brooklyn. They were also super-sweet and their son was so cute - I loved seeing him sliding down the stairs in the house. I cracked up when the wife was like "I'm on the subway every day, why do I want to see that in the bathroom?"

Buying in Brooklyn is pretty much a guaranteed good investment, so no matter what they're looking at good resale value especially if they update the house as they say they will.

• Love 1

I loved the Brooklyn couple.  I was so excited to see Brooklyn where I was born and raised until 2 years ago.  The house they bought was a replica of the house I grew up in...same layout.  I was so happy to see it!  The only difference was our house was a 2 family with a 3 room walk in apartment on the ground floor. 

• Love 3

I, too, liked the NY couple last night.  I knew right away which house they had chosen because the hubby immediately got out of the car, went to the garage door, opened it, and said that would make a good place for his studio.  You wouldn't do that if it was a house that you were seeing for the very first time.  TV magic.

• Love 1

I Liked the New Orleans couple. They seemed laid back and fun. The Minn couple that was on tonight... Not so much. She wasn't bad, but he was such a pill! Everything he said was sooo negative. Then at the end when she asked where she should place the throw pillows, he replied, "in the garbage!" Seriously?!

• Love 2

The Minn couple that was on tonight... Not so much. She wasn't bad, but he was such a pill! Everything he said was sooo negative. Then at the end when she asked where she should place the throw pillows, he replied, "in the garbage!" Seriously?!

I agree!  he was horrible - hated everything in all the houses.  I would hate to be married to such a downer of a person

• Love 1

OMG just watched the Minnesota guy.  He was so contrary and negative.  If she liked something he didn't..if she hated something he liked it.  I hated him.

But most of all c'mon producers...did he look like the type of guy that likes contemporary???

He was so rustic/hunter that it was seeping out of his pores.  Ugh

• Love 1

Maybe that will eventually become the norm, but as of now there are plenty of HH (not international) that show some of the owners "stuff" in the house and garage. Sometimes it's so obvious as a large screen tv mounted to the wall, a brand new sofa, a sectional with a sheet thrown over it, etc.

Not a big deal but the information I posted above is the norm, according to HH and HHI participant homeowners and realtors.  The making of the show is a topic that interests me so I've paid very close attention over the years - probably b/c of my professional background.  (Not particularly proud of the fact, however, that I've basically seen 100% of the episodes, assuming my cable service properly codes "new" episodes.)  Over the years I've also read numerous participant blogs and spoken or corresponded with both participating homeowners and realtors.

The incidents/items you mentioned are the exception.   In RE, it's not unusual for buyers and sellers to occasionally include certain items of personal property in a sale, e.g. a pool table, big screen TV or large unwieldy sectional, i.e. items purchased specifically for that particular home.  Haven't seen a pool table or TV left in some time but a sectional was draped with a cloth on HH probably once this year, IIRC.  (The Padre Island home that was listed again by the air date.)  It's not uncommon for sellers to leave the mounting brackets but the TVs typically go. 

RE sellers occasionally leave a few stray paint cans in a garage or leftover tile to assist buyers in matching colors or materials.  OTOH, garages are not always filmed for HH.  So, as viewers, we don't normally see that.  In any event, HH films the locations with any personal property left by the seller, under terms of the RE contract. The show contract, however, doesn't allow the buyers / show participants to alter the space after escrow closes, before filming.  (See below.)  .

The only home selected recently with a large amount of personal property was the Philly (IIRC) home purchased by a doctor and his second wife.  (I think of it as the stepmom episode.)  During the episode, I noticed that the other 2 homes were nicely staged but their home contained odds and ends of disjointed items.  I guessed that they probably purchased the home from a downsizing seller b/c it was 8 bedrooms!  And, I had a feeling that yf wanted the biggest, baddest home, possible!  (She was the one who loved color )  So, that's the most recent, notable exception.

To summarize, if a seller leaves it, it remains for filming.  WRT buyers, they're not allowed, under the terms of their HH contract to move even 1 tchotchke or make any changes to their home whatsoever, even though escrow has closed.  (That's one reason why the HH "choice" tends to heavily favor House 1, BTW.  They're anxious to get into that home!) 

Everybody remember the recent Austin episode, switchplate woman?  I didn't post about it upthread but I remember they walked into House 1 and immediately complained about the carpet having been ripped out of the l/r.  That told me they'd walked into their own home.  During that tour, they mentioned they'd rip out the remaining carpet, if they selected that home.  (Yep, confirmation!)  Don't know for sure but I have a feeling they jumped the gun on starting their renovation and were immediately reminded of their HH contract.

Sorry for the long post.  If you're not interested in this topic, then please, SOB (scroll on by).  Incidentally, another poster previously asked about personal property but hadn't rec'd a response.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 4