Type keyword(s) to search

American Pickers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

After watching the show so much in the past few weeks, since it seems like it's always on, I have come to the conclusion that Mike Wolfe is an asshole.  He is frequently condescending towards Frank and Danielle.  I am also sick of him picking on Frank because of his weight, lack of hair..etc.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, snappyjo said:

I think the way Mike talks to Frank is just banter. Frank and Mike know each other forever. Just guy stuff. And he is fine to Danielle!

Yes, that's how I see it too.  They've been friends since they were kids.  Frank gets in some zingers as well so I see them on equal ground.  

In fact, I've been meaning to post about their friendship.  It may be just me, but I feel like in the last few seasons the show has gone out of its way to highlight that Mike is married and Frank has girlfriends.  It makes me wonder if they were concerned that people might think they were a gay couple.  Of course I could very well be reading too much into that and never had them ping my radar.

• Love 2

Sorry guys, I just don't see it that way and I used to really love Mike.  I see Mike as very passive aggressive.  Some of the things he says are hurtful, and I've seen Frank gets visibly pissed but hold his tongue.

• Love 3

Sorry guys, I just don't see it that way and I used to really love Mike.  I see Mike as very passive aggressive.

http://www.nashvillelifestyles.com/entertainment/exclusive-home-tour-with-mike-wolfe

Looks like Mike has found his forever "honey hole" w/his new home in Nashville.  It's just my opinion, but the Mike seems to have let fame go to head a little bit.  The pictures of him in this article seem very staged, I'm getting a "phony vibe", looks like someone is taking himself too serious.  He's earned a good living and he deserves what he has, could be that he's just 'tired' of the Pickers franchise, as it sounds like he's got a lot of irons in his fire.

• Love 3

Am I the only one who has a problem with the show's premise? I mean, the amount of stuff they would need to pack into their van just to break even makes me question if they actually make money. The outlay for gas and lodging would mean that they would need to pack it quickly and get to Iowa or Tenn asap. And them going to say, California or Maine, just the costs for gas alone back to Iowa wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I understand that we have to suspend belief on some of these shows. But the issue here is the root of the show, and I'm not so able to ignore this. 

• Love 3

I haven't watched this show in a long time, but I watched part of one tonight.  I had forgotten how it sometimes makes me itch all over when I see them rummaging through those old buildings without wearing work gloves, masks or even long sleeves sometimes.  I know that it would probably ruin the effect, but on the episode tonight Mike keep talking about the raccoon poop that was all over the place and you know that with the big holes in the walls and roof of the barn they were in there was definitely bird, mouse, rat and other assorted poop around (definitely bird--this was the one where Mike heard the hissing and found a fluffy baby buzzard hiding in the corner).  I just kept thinking about all the stuff they were probably breathing in and how close they probably were to black widow or brown recluse spiders--and they were just reaching into the backs of shelves and rummaging through trunks of stuff.  Eeek!  (Although I do have to say that I would love to be able to go through some of the stuff they get to go through--I would just wear a little protection as I go.)

• Love 3

did anyone see the recent episode in the SOHO loft? Are those people still renting or were they able to buy? That loft would be worth millions today, hard to understand how they are still living there after 30 years as renters even if they are under rent control.

• Love 1
On 12/26/2016 at 10:44 PM, LiveenLetLive said:

did anyone see the recent episode in the SOHO loft? Are those people still renting or were they able to buy? That loft would be worth millions today, hard to understand how they are still living there after 30 years as renters even if they are under rent control.

They must have bought it years ago.  They said there was nothing in it then, and they added everything to make it a livable space.

• Love 1
On 9/28/2015 at 6:45 PM, nitrofishblue said:

It still surprises how much they pay for things and how much money the people want. The stuff has been out in the elements for years yet they expect a boatload of money (as I scratch my head).

Good point, if something was worth close to a grand, I would at least keep it in a building with a non leaking roof.  A guy I know does some "picking" on the side says this show has ruined the market, because now everybody wants more for their junk than they used to.  This is in contrast to all the people who complain that Mike and Frank are ripping people off by not paying them retail value.

• Love 1
On 8/3/2016 at 5:10 AM, cynicat said:

Yes, that's how I see it too.  They've been friends since they were kids.  Frank gets in some zingers as well so I see them on equal ground.  

In fact, I've been meaning to post about their friendship.  It may be just me, but I feel like in the last few seasons the show has gone out of its way to highlight that Mike is married and Frank has girlfriends.  It makes me wonder if they were concerned that people might think they were a gay couple.  Of course I could very well be reading too much into that and never had them ping my radar.

I thought they were, but have lately noticed what you mention here. 

I was a little disturbed by the latest episode, "Something Weird Here", Season 17, episode 11.  Specifically the mummified remains of murdered dancer Marie O Day, that was displayed as a sideshow item for many years.  Seems like there should be laws concerning owning a human body and what you can do with it.  Even if you accept its history as a display item, once it was out of use you would think they would have put it to rest somewhere, instead of just sitting in a warehouse with other sideshow pieces.

The poor girl must not have had any family left, not to have objected to what happened to her remains.  I'm not trying to be a prude over it, but here was a girl who was tragically murdered, it seems disrespectful.

Thankfully, Mike and Frank didn't try to buy it, so we were spared a haggling scene.

It  IS disrespectful. It is alarming and I don't see how this is ok or legal.

And it is morally wrong . She had no family anywhere to stop this. This woman's remains need to rest in peace.  I wish I had more info, I would write to the county offices , coroner, get that body out of that house. Those people should be ashamed. They should have turned over her remains years ago. Disgusting. 

1 hour ago, msrachelj said:

It  IS disrespectful. It is alarming and I don't see how this is ok or legal.

I have no knowledge of the legality of this sort of thing whatsoever, but I'm guessing there are laws against it, and maybe older displays like this were somehow "grandfathered" in.  

It appears that at some point human remains become historical items.  I've seen graves dug up that were only a few hundred years old in the name of archaeology.  I'm not saying that is wrong, but I wonder where the line is drawn.

i'm surprised there are not more posts here about each episode. surely, the way this and other television shows have driven up the prices on "junk" and literally, junk! so that now the average person can not even buy a busted item now that the hipsters or whatever are snatching them up for crazy prices,  i'd think there would be more interest. some people have a need to buy used and old because they can't afford "art" prices. the search is getting ruined, the purchasing is almost impossible. i love old things, the history, the quality, the memories. but it's getting harder and harder to buy things on a budget. i love seeing the stuff on this show but it has made everyone with a barn think they have gold in them. 

20 hours ago, msrachelj said:

is this season just all reruns of previous picks? what the hell?

is anyone still posting here>

This forum never gets much traffic.  I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who watches this show!

me too! but i have no doubt this show has contributed to every one who holds a garage sale or barn sale, thinking they have gold instead of junk. as someone who is not wealthy , i have found it is hard to get a decent deal anymore. that and how those with quite the disposable income are into flea market finds, up cycling etc. (martha stewart, i'm looking at you and how you ruined jadeite dishes for those of us who love it and don't have the ability to pay the now insane prices) go to the damn store and pay full price. or the quality antique stores, leave the junk to us. some of us can't afford it and flea markets ,rummage sales , salvation army stores etc. were a way to get something of quality once in a while. now you have to compete with ebayers , auctioneers and antique store owners. 

• Love 1

How about Frank walking on stage while Meredith Viera was hosting Who Wants to be a Millionare and says he is looking for the bathroom. Lol . The guys delivered an old toy to someone backstage for Meredith.

• Love 2

just watched the episode with the woman who inherited all the model a and t fords and parts and her daughter. i did not like it . the minute she trotted out in her short shorts and little top, i knew what we were in for. it was beyond obvious how they were showcasing the cute little blonde. i don't want to see this on american pickers. she was there only for eye candy and it ruined the whole episode for me. did she pay  the show or something for all that air time /exposure? jesus. the mother was saying how she attracts customers, they had her flirting with the guys, long hugs. just yuk. lets not go down this road again show.

Edited by msrachelj
addition
  • Love 3
On 2/4/2018 at 3:58 PM, msrachelj said:

just watched the episode with the woman who inherited all the model a and t fords and parts and her daughter. i did not like it . the minute she trotted out in her short shorts and little top, i knew what we were in for. it was beyond obvious how they were showcasing the cute little blonde. i don't want to see this on american pickers. she was there only for eye candy and it ruined the whole episode for me. did she pay  the show or something for all that air time /exposure? jesus. the mother was saying how she attracts customers, they had her flirting with the guys, long hugs. just yuk. lets not go down this road again show.

I agree! It's on right now and I came to see if this episode was discussed. 

not a lot of posts on this site. kind of surprising, i thought more people watched , show has been on a long time and i've learned some interesting stories about items. of course, the bad part is everyone thinks their barns/garages are treasure troves and those of us with small incomes, can not find old things for a few dollars anymore. i used to love garage sales, barn sales etc. not for re-selling but for finding vintage or junk items that i love or remember from years ago. 

and don't get me started on martha stewart for ruining it for anyone who isn't making 6 figures from buying jadeite! 

big big pet peeve: if you are rich, don't go to flea markets and the like and ruin prices for the rest of us who actually need these places to find thing they can afford and for nostalgias sake. 

11 hours ago, AirQuotes said:

I agree! It's on right now and I came to see if this episode was discussed. 

what the hell was that? it was pretty disturbing and i hope it was a one time thing. 

• Love 1

I only watch occasionally ~ usually when I'm flipping channels and find a marathon of it on.  Last night when they were showing the "bonus buys" episode I was really invested in how they were going to get that 1930s Packard down that old elevator! That was enjoyable to watch.  I learned how to move an old car with 4 flat tires!

On 2/4/2018 at 4:58 PM, msrachelj said:

I hear what you're saying, and I found it a bit uncomfortable at times myself.  But there's a saying:  sex sells.  The reality in the world is that a young attractive girl is going to attract a lot of attention, and it was obvious that both she and her mother knew how to take advantage of it.  Maybe it's not fair, but it does no good to deny reality.  The only other thing I might add is that you don't see that much "eye candy" on American Pickers, so I don't think one episode is going to hurt that much.  I guess as an exception they feature Danielle regularly.  I don't like the tattoos, but she is an attractive woman.  She's also a burlesque dancer, so I guess if they can have her on there they can have a flirty blonde.

On September 23, 2017 at 8:32 AM, cynicat said:

This forum never gets much traffic.  I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who watches this show!

You're  not the only one.    I've been addicted to American Pickers for years.    

• Love 2
On 5/23/2017 at 12:18 PM, rmontro said:

I was a little disturbed by the latest episode, "Something Weird Here", Season 17, episode 11.  Specifically the mummified remains of murdered dancer Marie O Day, that was displayed as a sideshow item for many years.  Seems like there should be laws concerning owning a human body and what you can do with it.  Even if you accept its history as a display item, once it was out of use you would think they would have put it to rest somewhere, instead of just sitting in a warehouse with other sideshow pieces.

The poor girl must not have had any family left, not to have objected to what happened to her remains.  I'm not trying to be a prude over it, but here was a girl who was tragically murdered, it seems disrespectful.

Thankfully, Mike and Frank didn't try to buy it, so we were spared a haggling scene.

Hell, in most states is isn't even illegal to have sex with a dead body.  The way I feel is that when you're dead you're dead, you're never going to know.

• Love 1

After a couple of years with no cable, I watched this for a couple of days, actually, I put the tv on a channel and it stays there until I see there's something else I want to watch more or I'm bored out of my mind. It'll be a while before I watch again. There are lots of little things that annoy me about this show and some big ones. Little things are the way they honk the horn and yell out as they leave. I think that's kind of a country thing, my dad used to do it and it drove me crazy. I love my dad and I miss him, but that honk the horn thing just drove me crazy. One of the big things that bores me silly is all the motorcycles, motorcycle parts, bicycles, bicycle parts, cars, cart parts and oil cans. Good god, I'm bored out of my mind with this crap! I know that those are their main interests, but I'd like to see other things. At least when Robbie goes on a pick, he likes clocks, I like clocks. And I enjoy Danielle because she likes a lot of different things. I do like to hear the stories people tell, I really do like that part.

But after a couple days of this, I'd finally gotten my fill, turned the tv to something else. Wasn't paying a lot of attention, but a commercial with Richard Karn came on (Al from Home Improvement.) I realized that Frank is Al and Al is Frank.

On 4/25/2018 at 1:54 PM, friendperidot said:

After a couple of years with no cable, I watched this for a couple of days, actually, I put the tv on a channel and it stays there until I see there's something else I want to watch more or I'm bored out of my mind. It'll be a while before I watch again. There are lots of little things that annoy me about this show and some big ones. Little things are the way they honk the horn and yell out as they leave. I think that's kind of a country thing, my dad used to do it and it drove me crazy. I love my dad and I miss him, but that honk the horn thing just drove me crazy. One of the big things that bores me silly is all the motorcycles, motorcycle parts, bicycles, bicycle parts, cars, cart parts and oil cans. Good god, I'm bored out of my mind with this crap! I know that those are their main interests, but I'd like to see other things. At least when Robbie goes on a pick, he likes clocks, I like clocks. And I enjoy Danielle because she likes a lot of different things. I do like to hear the stories people tell, I really do like that part.

But after a couple days of this, I'd finally gotten my fill, turned the tv to something else. Wasn't paying a lot of attention, but a commercial with Richard Karn came on (Al from Home Improvement.) I realized that Frank is Al and Al is Frank.

I'm a city girl from the Northeast, and I always honk the horn when I leave a family member's house - I do it as a show of affection. My father had an uncle who would beep the horn every time he drove by the house - just a way to say a quick hello while passing by.

Sometimes I'm really in the mood for a marathon, and this is one of the shows I occasionally like to have on in the background. Some of the stuff is not my taste, that's for sure, but some of it, like the old tin signs and gas pumps. are cool. The prices are kind of outrageous though. I don't know if or how they actually make the money they claim they make from these items. You can get similar stuff much cheaper at local flea markets, tag sales, or even thrift stores.

The thing that really gets me is the tons and tons of buildings and homes that are stuffed full of mostly junk and trash, just left rotting there for years. I'm an organizer and a bit of a clean freak, and buildings loaded full of junk just sitting there collecting dust and critters is creepy as hell to me. And the vehicles! How and why would someone let these old cool cars, trucks and motorcycles just disintegrate for decades? So strange to me.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 3

I can't see why anyone would let things rust out in a field. At least they can store them inside and they are usually the ones who want top dollar too.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

The thing that really gets me is the tons and tons of buildings and homes that are stuffed full of mostly junk and trash, just left rotting there for years. I'm an organizer and a bit of a clean freak, and buildings loaded full of junk just sitting there collecting dust and critters is creepy as hell to me. And the vehicles! How and why would someone let these old cool cars, trucks and motorcycles just disintegrate for decades? So strange to me.

I keep thinking about what a pain it will be for the families who have to deal with the junk/trash/treasures after the owner's pass away. Add in old cars that will have to be sold for the estate to be whole, it could be a very long probate.  ;)

• Love 3

just watched the latest, too much car stuff i agree, episode, western ny.  the man who was a former race car driver and etc. he spoke about his head injury/concussion. no disrespect meant , but i am now curious as to what the extent of his injury was because of the toupee he was wearing. he seemed to be quite well spoken it and i'm happy for that but it must have been something horrible if he has to cover his head. and i hope he is well, i hate to see these things. 

13 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

just watched the latest, too much car stuff i agree,

Admittedly, I'm not a huge car fan, but by the same token cars and motorcycles are their passions and have been from the start.  I've come to appreciate their knowledge and have learned things in spite of myself.  Plus, I love watching them light up when they come across a "gem".  It's probably how I would be if I found a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes in the bargain bin at TJ Maxx.  Interestingly (to me), is that I also don't care one way or another for motorcycles however I have found myself talking to my friends who have Harleys about Indians, and why they didn't go with that brand.

I like when Danielle goes picking as she finds different but still interesting things.  The purported Frida Kahlo settee with a page torn from a magazine as provenance, a nice Saltillo blanket and whatever else she found in the attic in (I think) Michigan that the guy had a dubious connection to Kahlo.  I wasn't a fan of the leopard print beauty chairs she got from the busty blonde, but I can see why she liked them.  Robbie got some pieces from this woman too.

Send Robbie and Danielle out more!  Sometimes Frank and Mike do deviate to salvage or sculptures and paper items but there are WAY too many cars, motorcycles and bicycles at outrageous prices.  I love it when the sellers jump to accept an officer and F/M know they could have gotten it for less.   I would never give them a price on anything and would wait for their generous offers on everything.  You can always say no. 

Speaking of which I hated the one where Mike kept after that poor French woman who had the clock from an optical shop that she did not want to sell and Mike would not take no for an answer and kept badgering her.  after the 4th or 5th time I would have thrown him off my property.  Can't remember if she caved or not.  I don't think so.

• Love 2

most recent show: i loved that in the truck in the beginning they mentioned frank and his passion for cats. i wish he would adopt another one or two. he seemed to really love his kitty , the memorial was great. he's all alone. needs a companion.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, msrachelj said:

most recent show: i loved that in the truck in the beginning they mentioned frank and his passion for cats. i wish he would adopt another one or two. he seemed to really love his kitty , the memorial was great. he's all alone. needs a companion.

I can't watch the show where Frank's cat died.  He totally needs another one.

• Love 3

Really liked the recent episode where they found Aerosmith's old touring van.  Something about the cheesy art on the side, it looks like it's something from another age (and I guess it is).

Funny comment from the ex-member of Aerosmith about giving the inside of the van the black light test.  And then seeing the inside of the van alongside the picture from the Draw the Line album, complete with the rug hanging on the ceiling, it was all very cool.  They said that they will have to get it appraised, so I expect this item is going to pop up in at least one future episode.  I'm curious to see what is going to happen to it, and how much restoration it is going to get.  But I have a feeling they will sell it to someone "as is", and that will be the last we see of it on the show.

Speaking of things that bug us about the show:  

What gets me are the people who say they have to clear everything out, and they've got buildings full of junk.  Mike and Frank get there, and then they want top dollar for everything.  I thought they wanted to get rid of the stuff?  I guess you got to go for the money while the cameras are rolling, because you won't be getting that much for it after.

I am allowed to be bored silly by all the car, motorcycles, bicycles and their parts. And I usually tune it all out. This is one of the background/there's nothing interesting on shows for me. There's a lot that they do have that I like to watch and I rather enjoy when Robbie or Daniel go out or best of all when those 2 go out on their own on a pick. 

Mike just never shuts up, does he? That's another thing I have to tune out sometimes.

One thing I've been noticing the past few days as I've had this on in the background, is how many people have their family's stuff and they can't part with it, it's been part of their family's business since the 19whenever's and they just can't let it go. Or so many have been collecting whatever for however many years and they want to start a museum. And all those people with their family's business stuff and they want to start a museum. I love museums, I have a degree in history, I was a volunteer at the Smithsonian in the mid 70s, I worked in a local museum as a bookkeeper, I'm not qualified for any curating stuff, that's what I really love. I'm a collector of particular dolls and doll related items, doll houses and I love to show it all off. I'm one who won't sell, I have been giving away some of the Barbie stuff to another collector, but I won't sell. I'd love to have a place to display and show it all off, but how many people go to that many museums? How many people are going to drive to the middle of nowhere Texas to visit an old gas station memorabilia museum? How are they realistically going to support this or that museum? Museums ultimately have to be a business and show a profit. And even though I love going and I'd love to do it, I just don't see much of the economy supporting many more museums. I understand being proud of your collection and wanting to share it. But I just don't see it being a thing to make a living at. Big museums with lots of money background can do it, but a little gas station museum or another doll museum in the middle of nowhere.

My eyes start glazing over at all the oil and gas and car stuff. And I really like to see old restored cars, but for the most part, I think those do better at monthly and yearly gatherings of like minded individuals.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I am allowed to be bored silly by all the car, motorcycles, bicycles and their parts. And I usually tune it all out. This is one of the background/there's nothing interesting on shows for me. There's a lot that they do have that I like to watch and I rather enjoy when Robbie or Daniel go out or best of all when those 2 go out on their own on a pick. 

Mike just never shuts up, does he? That's another thing I have to tune out sometimes.

One thing I've been noticing the past few days as I've had this on in the background, is how many people have their family's stuff and they can't part with it, it's been part of their family's business since the 19whenever's and they just can't let it go. Or so many have been collecting whatever for however many years and they want to start a museum. And all those people with their family's business stuff and they want to start a museum. I love museums, I have a degree in history, I was a volunteer at the Smithsonian in the mid 70s, I worked in a local museum as a bookkeeper, I'm not qualified for any curating stuff, that's what I really love. I'm a collector of particular dolls and doll related items, doll houses and I love to show it all off. I'm one who won't sell, I have been giving away some of the Barbie stuff to another collector, but I won't sell. I'd love to have a place to display and show it all off, but how many people go to that many museums? How many people are going to drive to the middle of nowhere Texas to visit an old gas station memorabilia museum? How are they realistically going to support this or that museum? Museums ultimately have to be a business and show a profit. And even though I love going and I'd love to do it, I just don't see much of the economy supporting many more museums. I understand being proud of your collection and wanting to share it. But I just don't see it being a thing to make a living at. Big museums with lots of money background can do it, but a little gas station museum or another doll museum in the middle of nowhere.

My eyes start glazing over at all the oil and gas and car stuff. And I really like to see old restored cars, but for the most part, I think those do better at monthly and yearly gatherings of like minded individuals.

People want to "start a museum" because they don't want to part with their stuff.   They do not realize that a museum is, as you said, a business.   It's not just stick stuff in cases and take the tax write off.   It's a LOT of work.    But they have dream that someone else will love their collection of arcana as much as they do.   And if its a museum, their kids can't sell their "collection" after they die.   Or so they think.   

• Love 3
On 8/20/2018 at 3:37 PM, friendperidot said:

My eyes start glazing over at all the oil and gas and car stuff.

If you will indulge me, I'd love to share with you why some of us are into the gas and car stuff:

To many of us, the old Texaco sign is not a rusty piece of metal-- It's memories of being kids on a car trip with Mom and Dad and them insisting that we look for a Texaco station and nowhere else to buy gas.

And the old oil cans and gas cans have a certain feel and smell that also brings back memories.

I'm no collector, but have stumbled across some really old oil and gas cans which I keep out in the open.   You would not believe the number of people who literally caress them as they start telling memories of when they were kids.

• Love 4

I am very happy for you and your love of oil and gas stuff. My eyes will continue to glaze.

So, how do you feel about 16" fashion dolls? Fabric, embroidery, doll houses? Eyes glazing yet? Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, their own interests and their own glazing over places.

• Love 1
On 8/20/2018 at 2:37 PM, friendperidot said:

No tea, no shade, but a few of the pickees seem to find any excuse to not call themselves a hoarder.

I adore this show, but I think it could send a terrible message to hoarders that "there is some rusty gold in that pile of tetnus so don't throw anything away!"

Edited by RealReality10
  • Love 3
On 11/13/2018 at 5:36 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

To many of us, the old Texaco sign is not a rusty piece of metal-- It's memories of being kids on a car trip with Mom and Dad and them insisting that we look for a Texaco station and nowhere else to buy gas.

Interesting, that's the same image I get when I see some of the old signs.  Not all of them have this effect, but some of them.  Also toys from the 60s.  Reminds me of childhood.

• Love 2

Unlike some of you, I'm not a fan of Danni D.  I find her annoying and insincere for some reason.  I suspect she's probably pretty cool IRL but her on air persona bugs me.  And Robbie is sort of dull afaic.  I mostly just think Mike & Frank make the show watchable.  

• Love 3