Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Girl Meets Rileytown

Is there gonna be like cheesy Public Service Announcement at the end of the episode, that's what it looked like when Riley and the students in the hallway were all facing the camera in the promo.

I hope this isn't basically a repeat of Girl Meets Flaws, where we have a random character we never heard of, bullying one of the main characters and then we never see them again....

• Love 1

The opening scene and the duel back to back banter is why I ship Maya and Riley as the endgame. They would be a fun (and interesting) couple. I doubt Disney would allow it if it ever got pitched though.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 2

Maybe I'm an easy mark, but I found this one really touching. The friendship between Riley and Maya and among all the core group (please more Zay) was really believable and rootable. And I really loved that they had Corey take a moment and acknowledge all of the other students in the classroom and that they have their own stories and dramas going on.

• Love 4

I am more like Riley than I'd care to admit. So...maybe i dont give awards to myself (but maybe I should start) but i definitely pretend i am in every piece of musical theatre ever and well, im not gonna continue.

anyway, i wanted to actually fight whoever was bullying Riley, dang, Rowan killed it this episode. Also, Zay. I need more Zay. it killed me when everyone came through the window, but he entered through the front door, grabbed himself some cereal and THEN go to Riley's room. 

i thought it was well done. Really well done. The core four (five? are we counting Zay??) worked really well together this episode. and NOW i see Riley and Lucas as siblings rather than potential romantics. That was total older brother protectiveness.

also loved the ice cream duel! 

• Love 4
anyway, i wanted to actually fight whoever was bullying Riley, dang,

Me too! I was literally saying either "who is this bitch?" and "where the bitch at?" for most of the episode. I was so mad that they didn't show anyone, but I guess it doesn't really matter. I was so pissed though!

• Love 2

anyway, i wanted to actually fight whoever was bullying Riley, dang, Rowan killed it this episode. Also, Zay.

I think she came CLOSE to nailing it, but that scene where Maya tells her she knows she's been bullied, that initial unloading by Riley, had some false notes, actingwise, in it. Some of that was the writing though.

The rest of the episode she got it right.

Sabrina was, in a way, still the acting MVP here, because we actually saw a side of Maya we've never seen before, and while Stephanie Cangro didn't find it totally convincing, I did.

There was also a really neat callback to last season, when Corey asked Maya if she had this.

Even Wooden Lucas stepped it up a bit here. I'm still confused who he's actually in to. Again, although more subtly than in some past episodes, we saw a very telling interaction with Maya where they sparked (in the scene where he's her "second")--whereas ultimately his reaction to Riley's problems could easily be portrayed as similar to his supposed protection of Zay from his Texas days, so... sibling-like.

• Love 1

This episode had so much wrong with it. The fact that this random girl who apparently hated Riley so much to manage to get her phone number would actually just stand there through Riley's diatribe is ridiculous. If this girl was bullying her as badly as Riley made it out to be then there is no way she would have just sat there through that entire spiel without mocking her or anything. And also it was never made clear if Riley was being anonymously cyberbullied or not. At some points they made it like Riley knew the girl. If she didn't know who it was why would the girl show up to meet with Riley? She'd just get in trouble because then Riley would know who she was. Especially after the entire group showed up. Why on earth would anyone sit through all of that? Or maybe she wouldn't since Cory basically refused to step it up not just as an educator, but as a parent as well and report it.

I mean, seriously. He knew something was up, but rather than step up as a parent and ask Riley what was going on or sit her down for a talk he let her deal with it on her own. I am so tired of no backbone Cory doing absolutely nothing, but aimlessly prattle on. I did like how he pointed out that bullying does not include someone saying something you don't like. Which leads me to my next point: Maya.

I hated Maya for a lot of this episode. I don't care if she does think Riley is great flaws and all, if Riley says to stop doing something, as a friend, she should have stopped. Case closed. Maya made it about her own personal feelings rather than trying to understand why Riley was upset by Rileytown. Friendships are based on mutual respect. And Maya absolutely refused to respect Riley's feelings. Maybe Riley had decided to re-invent herself. She's 14. She's entitled to not wanting to be known as the goofy, always happy, screwball forever. In fact, I'd think it was crazy if she didn't try to modulate herself soon anyways. It sure was a far cry from when Farkle decided to change and Lucas made it clear that they would be there no matter what.

Which brings me to Lucas. They need to figure out what they're doing with Lucas' temper. If I was a 14 year old girl (and even now when I'm significantly older) I would be terrified of him. The fact that he'll just go off without a moment's notice without listening to any reason is frightening. I know they have touched on this before and a bit more in this episode, but they need to either say he's getting help for it or stop using it at all. It feels to much like they're perpetuating the gross 'possessive anger is attractive' trope otherwise.

I liked Zay though. He's always a bright spot for every episode he's in. And I did find that most of Riley's breakdown was realistic and well-executed. The part where she was 'taking it out' on Maya and saying all the stuff the bully had told her was silly to me, but overall Rowan did a decent job.

Oh, and I don't like the idea that the writers are taking a jab at the audience. Like, most criticisms of Riley are entirely correct. She is too goofy, and silly, and weird. But, that's the WRITERS fault. Those character traits are totally fine to have if you are a well-written fully-fleshed character. Heck, I have friends who act similar to Riley occasionally. It's the overload that is too much. Having Riley not know Pluto wasn't a planet any more. Having Riley not know about the whole fish scam. Having Riley search for like 5 minutes for a bird in the classroom. The interperative dance in Girl Meets Creative (which I have all kinds of other issues with) was misplaced in such a serious setting. It also doesn't help that for a lot of serious moments (whether that is writing or not) Rowan does not emote well. Like when Maya was mad at her and she didn't seem to care at all. She just laughed it off and asked her to sleep over. Rather than fix the problem the writers (may have) chose to just tell the audience to suck it up. That's a bit insulting to me.

Edited by FrumiusManxome
  • Love 2

Bullying is wrong, but honestly so is the look at me, I'm a special snowflake treatment Riley gets. It would seem everyone who ever even walks past Rileytown is expected to not only pay the toll, but to buy a lifetime membership. It's a miracle only 1 student would be fed up with her constant nonsense. 

I did like Cory's line about bullying not being someone saying something you don't like, or something along those lines. It's too common now to see every scream BULLY!!! for every little comment. Some saying Riley's annoying isn't bullying. Repeatedly texting and threatening extortion, is. But notice the solution was everyone buying the membership to Rileytown. 

• Love 3

I am never going to be okay with the kind of awful (IMO) teacher that Cory is, but I think at this point it's not going to change and that the writers think it's 100% acceptable and cute for him to be unable to control his daughter and her friends constant disobedience in the classroom. Heads up to Cory and Topanga: If your 13 year old daughter is truly being bullied (not just regular kid teasing/ bickering) then you do not let her and her rag tag group of friends handle it. You immediately get her phone, go to the school administration, and get an official solution. Topanga is a freaking lawyer, isn't she? Let's get litigious! (LOL..not really though)

Rowan and Sabrina both stood out for me in this episode, decent/good acting. I can see both improving their skills as they get older.

• Love 2

This episode had so much wrong with it. The fact that this random girl who apparently hated Riley so much to manage to get her phone number would actually just stand there through Riley's diatribe is ridiculous. If this girl was bullying her as badly as Riley made it out to be then there is no way she would have just sat there through that entire spiel without mocking her or anything.

I'm pretty sure we aren't supposed to process that scene as literal. I mean remember, this is the same show that has Riley join a sorority one second, march out of frame, then come back in frame two seconds later with a whole catalog of experiences with those girls. This is kind of like that: a slight reality break, this time not for comedy but still essentially that same thing where it's clearly supposed to represent something rather than be realistic.

And also it was never made clear if Riley was being anonymously cyberbullied or not. At some points they made it like Riley knew the girl. If she didn't know who it was why would the girl show up to meet with Riley? She'd just get in trouble because then Riley would know who she was. Especially after the entire group showed up. Why on earth would anyone sit through all of that? Or maybe she wouldn't since Cory basically refused to step it up not just as an educator, but as a parent as well and report it.

I think they communicated well enough that it was anonymous up until the end. Then the rest of the school showing up was supposed to be what did indeed cause that other person to leave (and we saw that happen). As for Corey? He's a crappy teacher and sometimes a questionable parent, but here I think he came off okay. He specifically asked four different kids if he was needed. He wasn't leaving it just up to Riley. There were no signs of PHYSICAL bullying. He was trusting his kid, but more importantly he was trustin Maya--who for all her screw up portrayal hasn't ever failed Riley, according to the show.

I mean, seriously. He knew something was up, but rather than step up as a parent and ask Riley what was going on or sit her down for a talk he let her deal with it on her own. I am so tired of no backbone Cory doing absolutely nothing, but aimlessly prattle on. I did like how he pointed out that bullying does not include someone saying something you don't like. Which leads me to my next point: Maya.

I hated Maya for a lot of this episode. I don't care if she does think Riley is great flaws and all, if Riley says to stop doing something, as a friend, she should have stopped. Case closed. Maya made it about her own personal feelings rather than trying to understand why Riley was upset by Rileytown. Friendships are based on mutual respect. And Maya absolutely refused to respect Riley's feelings.

Oh, agreed. But the episode didn't imply Maya was totally in the right or blameless. They did that little flip where Maya was posed as the Aaron Burr earlier, then Riley became the Burr in the duel, but the show didn't overtly preach here. I think the line they drew was that Maya probably WOULD have stopped if Riley had explained her reasons. That's a fair point to make. "Rileytown" was something Riley was always okay with before this episode, after all.

Maybe Riley had decided to re-invent herself. She's 14. She's entitled to not wanting to be known as the goofy, always happy, screwball forever. In fact, I'd think it was crazy if she didn't try to modulate herself soon anyways. It sure was a far cry from when Farkle decided to change and Lucas made it clear that they would be there no matter what.

But they DID cover this with Riley in that same episode as when it happened to Farkle. She wanted to stay her same self by the end of that, although I suppose we could point out a pattern of Maya not going along with Riley changing herself.

Which brings me to Lucas. They need to figure out what they're doing with Lucas' temper. If I was a 14 year old girl (and even now when I'm significantly older) I would be terrified of him. The fact that he'll just go off without a moment's notice without listening to any reason is frightening. I know they have touched on this before and a bit more in this episode, but they need to either say he's getting help for it or stop using it at all. It feels to much like they're perpetuating the gross 'possessive anger is attractive' trope otherwise.

Agreed. We need the episode soon where they address this more directly than Corey dropping hints.

• Love 2

Held off posting anything until I saw the comments and most I agree with.

1: If you have a guy like Lucas, with his temper, run like hell, don't pass go, don't pay 200 dollars just get the "frack" out of the relationship because eventually that temper will turn on the people who are closest. Not too sure where the writers are going with putting Lucas with that temper? Think they should have found something else for Lucas.

Yay Farkle and Zay. Lights in a otherwise error laden episide.

2. I hate to say it but Riley is goofy and weird as someone else said, she's been written into it. I, also, am suprised that only one person has been less than positive about her whole attitude. 4 people may love Riley being weird and goofy but 4 people do not a world make.

3.I didn't really see Riley being bullied as much as it was snarky words on a mobile and a seriously over sensitive Riley over reacted. Living in a fantasy world with the mental age of 10 one tends to over react to real world issues.

4. Cory and Topanga, particulary Topanga leaving this  "bully" to 13-14 year olds to deal with? Yeah right.

DIsney had done 2 eps in 2 seasons on bullies so far and I was over the first one.

One of the reasons I've always been in favor of Maya taking a backseat and Riley dealing with her own issues was to shake her out of that fantasy world and get her to grown up, depsite assurances that "You won't be alone". Invariably one is at some point and then what?

Like I said the writers are making this into a teen version of the series "Friends"

Interesting episode very curious to see how they write the bisexual one

Comments are apprecitated. flaming is not ;)

Liked the first 2/3 of the episode. Not sure about the last part.

Riley was being bullied because the person was physically threatening her but also threatening to show a video that would embarrass her. So it was more than just words.

The Lucas anger thing is a problem because of how Maya reacted. Riley seems to be bothered by it but Maya almost seems attracted to it. I am almost afraid that the writers are eventually going to try to show that Riley and Lucas are right for each because she can't handle/deal with 'Texas' Lucas but Maya can so they are right for each other.

I am giving a slight pass to Cory and Topanga because I don't think they ever actually knew that Riley was being bullied or the extent she was. It does seem like they were trusting Maya to come to them if things were bad. I do think if they did know what exactly was happening they would have been involved.

Zay and Farkle were good this ep. Would have liked to seen a scene with Riley and Farkle discussing bullying since they both experienced it. However, the Maya/Riley scenes were very good.

• Love 2

I didn't really see Riley being bullied as much as it was snarky words on a mobile and a seriously over sensitive Riley over reacted. Living in a fantasy world with the mental age of 10 one tends to over react to real world issues.

It sounds like you might be of an older generation (?) perhaps and have no direct experience with cyber bullying. It wasn't around when I was that age either, but I've enough people of that age in my life, I think, to understand it's very real and involves a lot more than "words on a mobile". Perhaps this show didn't represent it with enough depth, but even though it's just verbal bullying (in written form), it's still potentially very serious, because unlike direct physical conflict, it's inherently easy to do and relentless. A standard bully has to find you to bully you. A cyber bully simply has to find out an email address or phone number, and then use that to anonymous pick at your specific insecurities and issue threats invisibly. It's relentless because they can literally do it 24 hours a day--not being hampered by proximity. It's creepy because you don't know who it is, unless they reveal themselves (as seemed to happen at the end of this episode). And it can escalate--something NOT shown on this episode--when they involve other people and the victim gets gang-cyber-bullied. There have been plenty of cases where kids know every single person in their school is snickering about them behind their backs, and it's because of anonymous cyber bullying. Those kids often suicide, so it's not a laughing matter, even though you don't seem to think mere words can hurt people. Again, this show didn't put much actual jeopardy or escalation behind Riley's actual situation, but understandably that's the case because this is Disney. But the whole notion of "snarky words on a mobile" shouldn't be dismissed simply because this was a kiddie version of a truly serious problem.
  • Love 8

I think Rowan nailed it last night- a home run.

All the cast are getting better, I think; even Lucas.  I like Zay a lot, but a little goes a long way; I fear he wouldn't be as funny if he were in every episode.  As for Lucas' temper, it seems as if he has worked a lot on it, he is still working on it, and I think that he's pretty good at controlling it.  And he's proven that his temper only rises when someone hurts his friends.  Which means he'd never hurt Riley, Farkle, Maya, Zay etc.

It was good that Corey pointed out that there's more to a bully than a person who disagrees with you.   I'm glad that Disney is addressing the topic because cyber bullying (bullying in all forms) is appalling and awful. And it can make a kid feel very alone and feel too afraid (and humiliated) to talk about it.

Whatever storyline problems there are, it's just a tv show I watch for pleasure and try not to apply real world rules to fiction.

• Love 4

It sounds like you might be of an older generation (?) perhaps and have no direct experience with cyber bullying. It wasn't around when I was that age either, but I've enough people of that age in my life, I think, to understand it's very real and involves a lot more than "words on a mobile". Perhaps this show didn't represent it with enough depth, but even though it's just verbal bullying (in written form), it's still potentially very serious, because unlike direct physical conflict, it's inherently easy to do and relentless. A standard bully has to find you to bully you. A cyber bully simply has to find out an email address or phone number, and then use that to anonymous pick at your specific insecurities and issue threats invisibly. It's relentless because they can literally do it 24 hours a day--not being hampered by proximity. It's creepy because you don't know who it is, unless they reveal themselves (as seemed to happen at the end of this episode). And it can escalate--something NOT shown on this episode--when they involve other people and the victim gets gang-cyber-bullied. There have been plenty of cases where kids know every single person in their school is snickering about them behind their backs, and it's because of anonymous cyber bullying. Those kids often suicide, so it's not a laughing matter, even though you don't seem to think mere words can hurt people. Again, this show didn't put much actual jeopardy or escalation behind Riley's actual situation, but understandably that's the case because this is Disney. But the whole notion of "snarky words on a mobile" shouldn't be dismissed simply because this was a kiddie version of a truly serious problem

I just have a different view is all. I've dealt with bullies both online and in real life. Neither of them last very long. Riley had a very simple option called BLOCK for her to use on mobile. IN any case comment appreciated :)

I just have a different view is all. I've dealt with bullies both online and in real life. Neither of them last very long. Riley had a very simple option called BLOCK for her to use on mobile. IN any case comment appreciated :)

I think what you aren't taking into account is that this was just representational of real cyber bullying and oversimplified. Real cyber bullying isn't just texted or emailed to the victim, it also usually involves tweets or facebook or even webpages--things people can't just tune out and act like they don't exist if everyone else is reading it. Which the show probably should have implied stronger (they only hinted Riley's bully MIGHT do that eventually), but again it was an oversimplification (remember, legally the show probably can't even MENTION Twitter or Facebook or Snapchat or Instagram).
  • Love 4

Yep I agree. It's a Disney sponsored message about cyber bullying.

These will be my final posts as I'm not that happy where GMW is heading as a series.

Certainly I'll read comments here but GMW isn't even getting saved on my HD at the mo.

Enjoy.

Like I said the writers are making this into a teen version of the series "Friends"

Really? GMW is nothing like Friends to me. I think "I Didn't Do It" is more like "Friends". 

It's funnier than GMW and it has the ensemble cast.

Back on topic: I loved the first half, with Riley acting strange and everyone acting concerned. The highlight was the crying scene. Very good job by Rowan (especially, who has improved greatly!) and Sabrina. The rest of the episode kind of an eye roll for me. Don't get me wrong, I love that they covered this topic. But it was way too preachy (as usual)... I'm really tired of Cory as a teacher and the classroom scenes in general.

It does seem like they were trusting Maya to come to them if things were bad. I do think if they did know what exactly was happening they would have been involved.

Isn't this unfair to Maya and a pretty silly plan at that? "Trusting Maya" is putting pressure on another 13 year old girl to constantly watch out for their daughter and keep her in this happy bubble where she rarely ever has to deal with unhappiness. It's also a foolish plan on Cory & Topanga's part because when I was 13/14 I very much doubt I would have ever gone to my friend's parents and told them stuff, it would have been seen as me snitching.

GMW seems to want it both ways with the parents, either they are retconned from absentee/uninvolved ---> heart of gold & just slightly flaky (Katy) or they are shoehorned into some scenes (Topanga originally went from lawyer to pudding shop owner back to lawyer when people got upset & now owns the bakery) and then finally Cory, the "teacher" who can't go 10 minutes of class time without having his daughter & her friends interrupt lessons to discuss their personal issues. A good lesson for kids could have been that sometimes you and your friends can't handle a serious bully who won't back off, and it's okay to get an adult and have them help.

I liked this episode. I thought Rowan did really well with showing some of Riley's vulnerabilities, which isn't something we have seen before. I thought Cory and Topanga had a realistic reaction for a couple of parents who want to let their daughter figure out her own problems. I'm sure if it had escalated, they would have stepped in. I don't like how they write Lucas's anger issues, mainly because it's not something that should be celebrated. Overall, I thought they did a fairly decent job with the subject material.

• Love 2

When it comes to cyber bullying, can't one just assume that the bully has no life due to all the time the bully has spent online trying to bully the victim?

Seriously, the Internet should simply be restricted to people over the age of 20. I've seen Facebook pages of younger people and it is simply SAD seeing the vapid shallowness of many of these idiots.

• Love 1

I think Rowan did a good job portraying the emotions one feels when being bullied. I was given hell in middle school because we went to a snotty school and I was a have not. Only had a couple close friends and I didn't want them to know what was going on. I was embarrased already just about my home life, was afraid my few friends might see me as less. I too tried to ignore the mean girls. The same way Riley thought they would eventually stop or move on to another target. It might have been a bit after school special and preachy but if it helps just one person it's worth it. Seeing stories of teens committing suicide because of bullying breaks my heart.

As for the Riley, Lucas, Maya stuff I think that is open to personal interpretation. It reminds me of the writers of iCarly throwing the viewers a bone of hope every once in a while depending on who they wanted to see as a couple. As I see it just a plot device used far too often.

• Love 1

Bullying is wrong, but honestly so is the look at me, I'm a special snowflake treatment Riley gets. It would seem everyone who ever even walks past Rileytown is expected to not only pay the toll, but to buy a lifetime membership. It's a miracle only 1 student would be fed up with her constant nonsense. 

I did like Cory's line about bullying not being someone saying something you don't like, or something along those lines. It's too common now to see every scream BULLY!!! for every little comment. Some saying Riley's annoying isn't bullying. Repeatedly texting and threatening extortion, is. But notice the solution was everyone buying the membership to Rileytown. 

Yeah, I can see Rileytown being a joke that Riley's friends share with her but I kind of found the imaginary world that Riley lives in to be a little disturbing and something I would expect from a 6-year-old, not a 14-year-old.  Rowan Blanchard has really improved as an actress (and nailed it in this episode) and I've found the Riley characters to be somewhat hilariously endearing but she's also bizarre on a not quite normal level for someone her age.  There's definitely some arrested development.

I think they worked in some fan service to both sides of the Riley/Lucas/Maya coin.  There was Maya's clearly being into how Lucas busted into Riley's room through their barricade scene.  And then we had Lucas, when Riley was talking about her awards show and doing "French Riley" saying "who doesn't love that?"  I think they're going to keep playing both sides before ever actually doing anything, since we've seen them all kind of settle into a "we're all friends, and that's what's most important" mindset about any romantic relationships. 

I am the only one that thought at one point that Farkle and Maya might get together one day? I mean they always made a big deal over how much he loved the two girls but it always seemed like he had more affection for Maya, at least to me.

• Love 3

I am confused.  I didn't get the idea it was a cyber bully at all.  I am going to have to re-watch it again (5th times a charm) and see if I can't pick up on what made people think that.  I don't like the whole "angry Lucas" thing either.  I think they could have gone a different way, even if they wanted to make him a "bad kid" in Texas...could have been that he hung around with a bad crowd or even did a one time stupid thing like getting into a fight to protect a friend.  Giving Lucas uncontrollable anger and physical aggression issues just seems a poor choice if they want us to see him as such a good guy now.

Loved the friendship between Maya/Riley and was really glad that Farkle was the one to figure out what was happening (makes sense since he recently went through the same type of thing).  I think it was sweet that the core group love Riley for who she is, but I find it kind of unbelievable that they cant possible imagine why others might find Riley annoying.  I mean, they ARE teenagers which means hormones and mood swings and I am sure at least once they have looked at Riley and thought "grow up and join us here in the real world."  Ok, thought way too much about fictional characters on a Disney show.  LOL

• Love 1

I am confused.  I didn't get the idea it was a cyber bully at all.  I am going to have to re-watch it again (5th times a charm) and see if I can't pick up on what made people think that.  I don't like the whole "angry Lucas" thing either.  I think they could have gone a different way, even if they wanted to make him a "bad kid" in Texas...could have been that he hung around with a bad crowd or even did a one time stupid thing like getting into a fight to protect a friend.  Giving Lucas uncontrollable anger and physical aggression issues just seems a poor choice if they want us to see him as such a good guy now.

Yep I gave it a rewatch and didn't get that it was a cyber bully either, just some kid with emotional age of 10 over reacting to some posts made about her and failing to utilise the block and ban option.

Just some context I work for a tech company and help out on the help desk when their short staffed and we daily get way worse comments that RIley ever did. l've literally lost count fo the threats I've received cause customers aren't happy etc..

Welcome to TV land. :) Not to be taken too seriously.

Yep I gave it a rewatch and didn't get that it was a cyber bully either, just some kid with emotional age of 10 over reacting to some posts made about her and failing to utilise the block and ban option.

Just some context I work for a tech company and help out on the help desk when their short staffed and we daily get way worse comments that RIley ever did. l've literally lost count fo the threats I've received cause customers aren't happy etc..

Welcome to TV land. :) Not to be taken too seriously.

Except that A) That's your job and B) You're not a teenager, I assume. Riley was being bullied, no ifs ands or buts. She was being told, repeatedly, that there was something wrong with her. Riley may be annoying to some people but there is nothing inherently wrong with her. She was also threatened with physical violence. She was being filmed for what seems like awhile without her knowledge. Not only was it bullying, it was hella creepy.

Granted, I was not a fan of this episode. Maya should have stopped saying Rileytown immediately after she realized it was upsetting Riley, and that fact that she wouldn't did not reflect well on her. Maya using words over and over again that made Riley upset because she was so convinced that she was in the right and that somehow Riley didn't know what she herself wanted or what she wanted to be but Maya knew was all sorts of wrong and the episode rewarded her for it. I also didn't like the whole 'let these 13 year olds handle everything.' By all means, let kids stand on their own two feet so they'll be ready for the real world, but how many cases like Riley's have escalated further and further because adults didn't step in. And last but not least, the confrontation was super dumb. No way would this bully just sit there and chill while Riley did this.

My thing is, Riley probably is really annoying to some of her other classmates. But that doesn't give said others the right to be mean or cruel to her. If someone annoys you, just avoid them. 

• Love 5

My thing is, Riley probably is really annoying to some of her other classmates. But that doesn't give said others the right to be mean or cruel to her. If someone annoys you, just avoid them.

The episode completely missed the real problem with Riley anyway. It's not that she's weird. It's that she's really self-centered. Oh she's kind to people. Politically and environmentally aware. Polite for the most part. Capable of being a decent friend. But she lives in a bubble that seems somewhat defined by a kind of tunnel vision. Corey clearly knows the name of all of the other kids in that class. I'm not convinced Riley does.
  • Love 1

I've obviously given this too much thought, but I've got a theory on the confrontation of the bully. I'm not fully convinced Riley knows who in particular the bully is. She could have just been reacting to a nameless, faceless bully. She knows it's a classmate, but beyond that, I'm not so sure. So when she was taking to the hall, she might have just been talking to the idea of the bully, assuming the bully was watching. If she managed to do her awards enough times that the bully taped it, it would make sense the bully wasn't standing out in the open without being noticed. 

After this episode, I'd like to see Riley with Zay and Maya with Lucas. 

What I do appreciate is that I have no clue where they are going to go with the young love with these kids. I honestly think the first real relationship will be showcased in season 3 when they get to high school.

Something else: I do hope they continue working with Lucas anger issues. Its a real issue for some people. I want to see if they can write Lucas into finding ways to handle his anger with more healthy tactics.

yep going to have to agree to disagree :)  with respect.

I think Riley reasonably self centered and is living in a fairy princess fantasy world that everyone around her indulges and encourages and then someone, not part of her little world, wrongly, note I said wrongly, makes some statements and threats and quite rightly we should be offended, because no matter how much of a Ditz one is or whatever world she lives in, there's no right to  be or have threats issued. (just to clear that up I'm never in favor of that type behaviour)

I think that instead of Farkel being tested it should have been Riley.
Girls gonna have to grow up. I'm kinda curious how she's going to go with her first BF :)

Thats enough outta me.

• Love 1

After this episode, I'd like to see Riley with Zay and Maya with Lucas. 

Zay would have to be a real character for that to happen. And one of the real criticisms I have of this show is that Zay is more of a mascot at this point than a real character. He's totally one dimensional and used for affect.

I think Riley reasonably self centered and is living in a fairy princess fantasy world that everyone around her indulges and encourages and then someone, not part of her little world, wrongly, note I said wrongly, makes some statements and threats and quite rightly we should be offended, because no matter how much of a Ditz one is or whatever world she lives in, there's no right to  be or have threats issued. (just to clear that up I'm never in favor of that type behaviour)

That was my point of view too. It's definitely bullying we saw, but Riley clearly has legit problems too--which the show misdiagnoses as weirdness instead of her being self-centered.  It's underselling things to have some magical "Riley is a special unicorn" approach to her. At some point the show needs to counterbalance the bullying episode with episodes that confront her with how self-involved/self-centered she is.

I liked the fact they (at least sort of) eluded that Riley "beat," her bully by embracing her weirdness. The only issue I have is at no point prior has Riley seemed insecure about her weirdness, so her suddenly being upset that someone is bullying her about is a bit out of place. Granted they're supposed to be 13/14, so could be insecure (deep down) about everything for all I know =p. 

Really hope the ending wasn't meant as a message to the audience, because the people being vicious on twitter, and it's safe to assume it's probably mostly twitter (because...twitter) are a small small minority of the viewers. Not a fan of how it'd come across, if it was aimed at the audience, as "you are all mean bad evil people!" 

As for just blocking the number, from a quick google search (as well as my limited understanding prior) there are services that'll provide the ability to spoof your number when sending a text, which I would assume would navigate around a block. Again, could be wrong, as I'm not exactly well educated on that. Know there used to be service(s) that'd basically let you make international calls without it being considered international through more convoluted means, but yeah. 

I don't think Riley is any more self-centered than your average 13-14 year old kid.  We've seen her do things for others frequently, like Farkle and Smackle.  We've seen her acknowledge her own self-centered attitude and recognize the error in that attitude, both in the first episode of this season and in season 1, when she and Maya worked in the kitchen.  She wanted to be part of a classroom "business" project that did something for people, once she realized the harm of the sugar bombs Farkle wanted to sell.  She always wants to do things to make things better for Maya.  Sure, she's "weird," but we need more weird in this world.  It's not for the rest of us to decide that someone is too weird or whatever, and her brand of weird certainly isn't hurting anyone.  

As for her first boyfriend, we've essentially seen that with Lucas, even though they never decided to become an official couple.  She was actually the one who initiated a kiss with him on the subway.  And she's been grown up enough to realize that getting into romantic relationships at this age isn't worth the risk to ruining her circle of friends.  

Sure, she's happy and lives a pretty carefree, lucky life.  She has no reason not to be as happy and positive as she is.  Yeah, we've had the silliness with Pluto and the dead fish, but, for the most part, she's allowed to live, make mistakes, and learn in the world.  

I have a son in 7th grade who just turned 13 (today), and Riley is far more typical of the kids in his class than Maya is.  They're generally still at that age where the world hasn't had a chance to give them a reason to not be happy and goofy yet.  

• Love 6

I think the bully was the one texting Riley in class, which I think is where the cyber part comes from. 

I actually checked my phone a couple times during the episode because the ding from Riley's phone is the same notification I have for Facebook Messenger. I thought that was a nice touch, considering that teenagers using social media to bully their classmates is absolutely a thing.

For me, this wasn't the best episode, but it wasn't the worst episode, either. A lot of the flaws have already been pointed out, but before I caught on that the bullying was mostly via text/Facebook/whatever, my biggest qualm was "When did this person have time to bully Riley when she's always with Maya?" Also, when Cory was naming all the other students in the class (finally!), I thought it was going to be because one of them was going to be revealed to be the bully, and I actually liked that the bully wasn't outed as one of them. But yeah, I would have expected at least a scoff and a huff from the unseen bully instead of he/she just slinking away.

Sometimes this show is ridiculously cheesy and over the top, and other times, it hits the nail on the head so accurately, I'm transported back to my teenage years to relive the awkwardness and the drama. This time, I was forced to remember the time when I was 15 and my then best friend just stopped talking to me out of the blue, no reason given. Ah, teenagers.

I agree that Riley is no more self-centered than the average 13-year-old. Considering this whole series is also largely from Riley's point of view, I also think the view of Riley is somewhat distorted by that lens. Yeah, some of her mannerisms and affects are very childish, but it all rings very true to me to be a silly 13-year-old girl. 

I think that instead of Farkel being tested it should have been Riley.

Girls gonna have to grow up. I'm kinda curious how she's going to go with her first BF :)

Thats enough outta me.

Good lord, yes, everyone enables Riley to live in her fantasy world.  Both the characters and the writers.  Riley is never wrong and because the Maya character wants something, she's entitled to get it.

Good lord, yes, everyone enables Riley to live in her fantasy world.  Both the characters and the writers.  Riley is never wrong and because the Maya character wants something, she's entitled to get it.

Sure but this is how she's been written into character and makes me wonder where her (Characters) future is heading? Thats why I was considering doing a fan fic of Riley doing the whole bay window, stuck my nose into where it wasn't wanted and getting firmly and politley told off and asked to mind her own business..Dunno have to see how it goes.

It's like Lucas bad temper why the heck would you write him like that? Little tip, guys with bad tempers, no matter what the reason, don't lose their bad tempers and it's always a risk to be around them. Unless it's Disney land :)

But the writers bought it up to Lucas character so too late now,.