Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Shirin Oskooi

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Abi did comment on it last night on twitter.

"He had no idea the clue was written in Khmer calligraphy. When he tried reading; he couldn't"

This actually seems to jibe really well with how Redmond said it went down. And makes it seem to like it definitely wasn't a joke. 

I can't at Shirin blocking Max on twitter for badmouthing her game. That is straight-up hilarious.

• Love 2

Wait did Shirin block him? I thought she just unfollowed him. Shirin and Stephen are sure taking things personally this season.

I read she blocked him.  It could be unfollowed.  I predicted Shirin was going to have a downfall; fan favorite, underdog, pity case, or whatever you'd call her and then takes a massive fall from grace this season.  I also thought that if Stephen got a bad edit or didn't do well, he was going to take it hard.  Again, big fan fave, active in the Survivor community, talks a lot of crap about what everyone does wrong each season, and then he potentially gets a rough edit and early exit this season.  Something about the fan vote I think is striking a nerve with folks that they feel like they are even bigger failures if they don't do well this time.  That's my impression anyway.  I remember a discussion about which Survivors were going to take it the hardest if they didn't do as well out there this season as expected, and Shirin/Stephen were names mentioned.  Guess that was pretty on point.  I still think Stephen's edit is headed for a redemption, though I'm starting to second guess that just a tad.

I read she blocked him.  It could be unfollowed.  I predicted Shirin was going to have a downfall; fan favorite, underdog, pity case, or whatever you'd call her and then takes a massive fall from grace this season.  I also thought that if Stephen got a bad edit or didn't do well, he was going to take it hard.  Again, big fan fave, active in the Survivor community, talks a lot of crap about what everyone does wrong each season, and then he potentially gets a rough edit and early exit this season.  Something about the fan vote I think is striking a nerve with folks that they feel like they are even bigger failures if they don't do well this time.  That's my impression anyway.  I remember a discussion about which Survivors were going to take it the hardest if they didn't do as well out there this season as expected, and Shirin/Stephen were names mentioned.  Guess that was pretty on point.  I still think Stephen's edit is headed for a redemption, though I'm starting to second guess that just a tad.

True. I always thought it would be Spencer and Stephen who would take it to the hardest. Plus I heard Stephen quit his job to go on this season he was a VP at Logo so maybe that adds some disappointment for him.

So I read a couple of exit interviews with Shirin. She says that originally Varner wanted Spencer or Abi out. She decided to go to Terry (of all people) and propose a deal where they vote out Varner.

Then Terry tells Varner and she becomes a target.

The worst part of this story is that Kelley, her close ally, advised her not to go to Terry, but she didn't listen.

So Shirin ignored the suggestions of an ally she needs to move forward in the game, and all she achieves is putting a target on her back. The sad part of this is that Shirin probably still thinks that move didn't work because Terry isn't logical.

• Love 3

True. I always thought it would be Spencer and Stephen who would take it to the hardest. Plus I heard Stephen quit his job to go on this season he was a VP at Logo so maybe that adds some disappointment for him.

Where did you hear that? He was a production manager at MTV2 last I checked a few months ago.

Where did you hear that? He was a production manager at MTV2 last I checked a few months ago.

Rob said something on RHAP when he was interviewing Shane when he wasn't chosen about how Stephen might not have a job if he goes on Survivor. I might have heard wrong.

LanceM, on 03 Oct 2015 - 1:01 PM, said:

Abi did comment on it last night on twitter.

"He had no idea the clue was written in Khmer calligraphy. When he tried reading; he couldn't"

This actually seems to jibe really well with how Redmond said it went down. And makes it seem to like it definitely wasn't a joke.

I have read this whole thread and followed the links and I have no clue what Abi's tweet refers to.  Can someone please clarify for the terminally confused?

I have read this whole thread and followed the links and I have no clue what Abi's tweet refers to.  Can someone please clarify for the terminally confused?

There was a photo taken from the beach that showed some members of the Ta'Keo tribe with what I would say were puzzled looks on their faces, or maybe a look of disbelief.  Shirin was asked on twitter what made everybody look like that, and she said that when they received the treemail clue, Abi started reading it but Terry said someone who spoke better English should read it because he didn't understand her.  Shirin says she called Terry out for his comment.  Abi's tweet is referencing how the clue looked and why she had a hard time reading it (the font) and that Terry even had trouble deciphering what it said once he took a crack at it.  Jeff Varner confirmed Shirin's account of what happened, however, Abi doesn't seem bothered by it.  That tweet makes me think she may be trying to justify it.

• Love 1

After Brandon Hantz, I am sure they have a psychologist out there for just that reason, Winston9-DT3.

The sad and scary thing is that Brandon Hantz was cleared BEFOREHAND by the staff psychologist to go out and play Survivor twice.  

TWICE.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4

Brandon may just be a great actor.  I'm kind of surprised at some of the born actors they find. And people willing to portray themselves as nuts.

I think Eliza might be truly unhinged.  She was ranting on RHAP about Shirin's tribe not using her for the puzzle longer and how she "almost" solved it this ep.  Max and Dan kept telling her Shirin is not good at puzzles.  How did Eliza think that puzzle was almost solved anyway?  

I've long thought Eliza is unhinged.  She takes this game very personally, even when she's not playing it.  Shirin isn't good at puzzles.  Ta'Keo was a disaster, and no,she didn't "almost have it".  Two seasons in a row, Shirin helped blow a puzzle for her tribe.  In fact, last season she was the sole reason the WC tribe got so far behind and lost.  Apparently, she knew at the challenge this week that Varner was gunning for Spencer and she claims that's why she was so frazzled, because she knew they needed a win.  I still say she sucks at puzzles and everything else is her justifying why she's bad at them.

• Love 1

When I watched it back, I was trying to figure out where Ta'Keo went wrong, because it looked right to me.  However, the two figures needing to be touching at the fingertips, and they had the one side backwards.  

• Love 1

I don't understand why anyone is asking Eliza for commentary. I've haven't seen Vanuatu, but while her storyline in the first Fans vs. Favorites was certainly memorable, I didn't get the sense that she was a very good player.

As for Shirin, while I'm sure playing again so soon didn't help her game at all, I think she's just not good at Survivor on a fundamental level.

• Love 4

Eliza being a former player should know about this thing called editing and that sometimes the editors make some of these challenges more competetive than they really are on the island and that may be the people that were actually there know more than she does.

Anyway my favorite part in the Know it all live event was when Eliza was cursing and ranting and raving and Dan Foley (whom I don't like) says to her "Is this how you behave in court?".  I admit it cracked me up.

• Love 3

So I read a couple of exit interviews with Shirin. She says that originally Varner wanted Spencer or Abi out. She decided to go to Terry (of all people) and propose a deal where they vote out Varner.

Then Terry tells Varner and she becomes a target.

The worst part of this story is that Kelley, her close ally, advised her not to go to Terry, but she didn't listen.

So Shirin ignored the suggestions of an ally she needs to move forward in the game, and all she achieves is putting a target on her back. The sad part of this is that Shirin probably still thinks that move didn't work because Terry isn't logical.

I read those as well, rose.  I know there is lots of blabbering on old school versus new school in the show, but I think an essential element of all schools is an ability to freaking read the damn room.  Kelley was exactly right, Deitz wasn't going to go for that.  Shirin, however, wasn't going to let go of a (take every human emotion out of it) game move that seemed to be logical, her logic would win because she's smarter than these guys.  So dumb.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

So glad Shirin was ousted.

Hopefully she will live the rest of her days getting her rocks off giving self-indulgent commentary on RHAP (which I wouldn't mind because I don't bother listening to that drivel) or better yet, fade into Survivor obscurity.  

• Love 2

Yeah, I think Shirin Survivor days are numbered. I don't think there'll be a 3rd Times the Charm season for her. She just isn't that good at the game no matter how smart she thinks she is. Hopefully, she'll be happy with her millions she made before the age of 25 and not start doing some podcast. I think it's times for her to exit stage left or right.

• Love 3

Yeah, I think Shirin Survivor days are numbered. I don't think there'll be a 3rd Times the Charm season for her. She just isn't that good at the game no matter how smart she thinks she is. Hopefully, she'll be happy with her millions she made before the age of 25 and not start doing some podcast. I think it's times for her to exit stage left or right.

You say that as if there IS a God who loves us....

• Love 1

If this is true, you had it right with the "of all people" bit.  Shirin is no student of the game (and of these players) if she thought it was a good idea to approach Terry to engineer a blindside.  Especially when alliances are just being solidified.  He is Mr. True Blue and old-school to the max.  What was she thinking!?!?

She also is a damn fool in exit interviews about Woo.  Because he didn't save her that must mean that she "overestimated" his intelligence and he's really dumb.  Does she not think through what she is saying?

I am a feminist (old-school even) but I bridle at the school of female empowerment that would see women seeking/holding power discarding all of the qualities that make civilization run.  I'm talking about niceness (thanks JudyObscure for your post re niceness!), compassion, humility, empathy, self-questioning, etc.

I really want to support Shirin but she makes it hard!

• Love 7

She also is a damn fool in exit interviews about Woo.  Because he didn't save her that must mean that she "overestimated" his intelligence and he's really dumb.  Does she not think through what she is saying?

IMO Shirin knows exactly what she is saying.  Remember that these comments do not come in the heat of the moment.  She''s had going on four months to prepare her story. 

• Love 4

I don't believe Shirin can accept she isn't good at this game.  In one of her pre-game videos, she said her strategy this season was going to let people come to her.  She should have stuck to that.  According to her, she had Spencer and Kelley Wentworth.  She didn't realize she didn't have PG and Varner completely wrapped up.  Had she not pushed so hard for the Vytas vote, or had she not tried to save Spencer and end up inadvertently shifting the target to herself, she could have bought herself 3 more days and right into the swap-which might have meant making it much farther.  Old schoolers shouldn't be underestimated; all they had prior to season 11 (when the HII was first introduced_ was to talk strategy, have alliances, and hope people didn't flip over a tribe swap (and we didn't even have tribe swaps until season 3).  And yet, it seemed like they still enjoyed the experience and it wasn't strategizing 100% of the time.

I'm no fan of Woo, but I think I enjoy the fact that Shirin seems bothered someone like that outlasted her.  Woo had no reason to flip.  I'm not sure why she thinks that equates to underestimating him.  What good would flipping have done?  And Woo had a valid point, that Shirin and Spencer had ignored him, would likely cut him when they needed to, and basically were trying to bully him into siding with them by saying he'd be picked off once the merge hit.  I don't think Woo is any good at this game, but he made the right decision here.  No doubt if he agreed to flip Shirin probably would have tried to turn the target around to him.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

There was a photo taken from the beach that showed some members of the Ta'Keo tribe with what I would say were puzzled looks on their faces, or maybe a look of disbelief.  Shirin was asked on twitter what made everybody look like that, and she said that when they received the treemail clue, Abi started reading it but Terry said someone who spoke better English should read it because he didn't understand her.  Shirin says she called Terry out for his comment.  Abi's tweet is referencing how the clue looked and why she had a hard time reading it (the font) and that Terry even had trouble deciphering what it said once he took a crack at it.  Jeff Varner confirmed Shirin's account of what happened, however, Abi doesn't seem bothered by it.  That tweet makes me think she may be trying to justify it.

Actually, the contention is that Terry said: "Can somebody who speaks English read it?" That may seem a minor difference, but it's actually significant. Abi is extremely fluent in English. I've never not understood her. I haven't seen instances of other people misunderstanding her. Terry wasn't innocently suggesting someone without an accent read the clue. He said someone who spoke English should read it. My only surprise is he didn't say - can someone who speaks American read it?

I don't keep up with Twitter . . . pennben found this gem from Shirin last night . . .

"I'm looking for five whites." Good news: you don't have to look far. #survivor

I feel that Shirin may not be the best player, but she'd be fun watching the show on the couch. Also, I hope she gets to punch Dan in the face. Or Rodney. Or Will.

• Love 3