Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Camping Trip

• Start Topic

I watched this last night in preparation for this podcast. This episode felt like it was 5 hours long. Serious contender for Worst! Episode! Ever!

Exactly! After the scene where Brandon talks with hung-over Dylan, I thought for sure the episode was over. But wait, now they're hiking, wait there's another twelve minutes left?? Ridiculous.

Also, I really expected a scene where Brenda finds the empty airplane liquor bottles in Brandon's coat pockets, and confronts Brandon because she assumes he's drinking again, and he doesn't deny it because he doesn't want to call out Dylan. I don't know, maybe that's some other episode, or some other show or something. 

Oh I totally agree that this show probably wanted have two age group things going on when they started this show but then realized they couldn't connect the two age groups very well and so it was just easier to focus on one set and pick one of the two younger ones and I guess BAG fit more with the cast. Or something.

Dylan answering and talking so damn slow. And also leave some random strangers you just met alone with their parenting struggles.

Also I have never felt a kinship with Steve more than when he decided that beer would make the trip better. It would.

What the hell is up with Donna this season? Were the writers just testing out random partners for her?

Um, no. MVP was liquor. And possibly Steve Sanders.

I remember watching this episode back in the day and noticing how when they shot Brandon "hanging off the cliff," from above that it was SO obvious Jason Priestly was standing on something. He obviously needed to work on his "leg acting."

I remember watching this episode back in the day and noticing how when they shot Brandon "hanging off the cliff," from above that it was SO obvious Jason Priestly was standing on something. He obviously needed to work on his "leg acting."

I know right?! Especially since the stunt double was flailing so much. But I guess you can't expect too much attention to detail from a show that breaks the Guinness Record for boom mics slipping into frame.

I forgot to add, Steve's reaction to Donna's shoulders pads might be my favorite Steve moment ever.

It's been years since I've seen this episode, but I don't think I will EVER forget how lame that cliff "danger" scene was. It goes on FOREVER, the cuts back and forth between Brandon dangling and straining for a hand and Dylan trying to reach him, and the super obvious options available to Brandon to simply settle onto the ledge below him (LOL). I never loathed Brandon back then, but even I remember rolling my eyes at that scene. It's just so ridiculous and staged to be DRAMATIC but it's just not.

And that "stretch, dammit!" still cracks me up.

• Love 2

I love Dylan holding up those two little bottles like a smoking gun. Two mini bottles of booze? Amateur. You know what I call that, McKay? Breakfast. (J/K)

That final scene where the couple thanks Dylan for giving them something to think about would've been perfect had they said, "Yeah, after meeting all of you. We decided to get an abortion."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

this show probably wanted have two age group things going on

I also found it strange that except for the wonder twins every single kid on this show is an only child.  They spent the rest of the series adding step-siblings and half-siblings to fix that.

This episode is terrible but it holds a place in my heart because I'm pretty sure that it was the first one I saw when it originally aired. I was too young then to notice how awful it was because I remember thinking it was the coolest thing and I wanted to go on a camping trip with my friends when I got older. I'm so ashamed of 11 year old me.

• Love 1

I also found it strange that except for the wonder twins every single kid on this show is an only child.  They spent the rest of the series adding step-siblings and half-siblings to fix that.

Plus they retroactively gave Steve two full little brothers in the back half of the series, which makes zero sense when you contextualize it with his whole adoption storyline. And oh yeah! Gina is really Donna's half-sister! Ugh.

Other siblings got erased -- Val had a few and they got written out of history. 

Yeah I know Boy Spelling- I don't know his name- plays Steves brother. But, they did make it confusing when they started adding siblings as the show went on. And they only did this for dramatic effect. 

Val had siblings?

I stand by what I said. I think the show wanted to be about a bunch of high-schoolers but my guess is that viewers probably more or less didn't take to David and DeadScott as much as they did Brenda, Brandon, Kelly, Dylan, etc. I don't know how or why David was picked to be the one integrated into said gang because both David and Scott wanted to be in their group, it had to have been either chemistry wise or something with the actors. I know TS and BAG had a thing at one point during the show but I'm not sure on the timeline so maybe that was a factor as well.  I think Degrassi and in a sense Friday Night Lights have been the only shows I have watched that had multiple teenaged aged groups and was able to tell stories that at times could be connected and woven together and then at times separate. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl

With Donna, I think the writers realized that cardboard blond Brenda and Kelly's friend had potential to be, wha? a fully fleshed-out character! And yet, they still have no idea what to do with her. I actually feel for Tori Spelling here. I know she was a spoiled celebrity child, but her role in the show is so unfortunate for two solid years.

• Love 1

And with that the summer episodes are over - thank god! I remember loving the summer episodes as a tween but they've been surprisingly tedious. Too much braying, not enough anything else.

Now how long until they're exchanging eggs and having U4EA slipped into their drinks?

The actor who played Scott asked to be taken off the show between seasons one and two. The creators asked him to stay on to do the storyline they wanted to do (about friends growing apart and the death of course). The guy playing Scott never really liked acting and never went back to it. I learned this on another podcast. So, they wrote Scott off on his behalf. I'm sure he would have been phased out anyway but that's the story.

The abundance of "faded" denim and slouchy white socks in that nighttime group shot by the firewood is making me feel REALLY old.

But also possibly Kelly's blanket coat has come back around to being a little bit awesome?

• Love 1

The actor who played Scott asked to be taken off the show between seasons one and two. The creators asked him to stay on to do the storyline they wanted to do (about friends growing apart and the death of course). The guy playing Scott never really liked acting and never went back to it.

Thank the lord for small favors.

• Love 2

I mean, addiction is not funny and it's terrible and nobody should make fun of it, but I literally CANNOT STOP LAUGHING at Dylan melodramatically throwing himself off the wagon with approximately two ounces of alcohol.

Correction: addiction is not funny in real life. Addiction is always, ALWAYS funny on Beverly Hill 90210!

Kelly: diet pills, cocaine. Funny.

Brandon: gambling. Funny.

David: pills, crystal meth. HILARIOUS.

That friend of Steve's with apparently a marijuana addiction: Funny.

Noah: booze. Oh wait, that disproves my thesis. That wasn't funny, it was intolerably tedious. Oops.

I mean, addiction is not funny and it's terrible and nobody should make fun of it, but I literally CANNOT STOP LAUGHING at Dylan melodramatically throwing himself off the wagon with approximately two ounces of alcohol.

That gif is award-worthy. I can't stop laughing. Him slugging those two ounces is just hilarious.

Edited by lottiedottie
  • Love 1