Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: The Cutting Board

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I detest the 10pm time slot. I either stay up late and I'm pretty tired tomorrow, or I have to wait until Friday to watch. So annoying CMT!

11pm for me and I usually feel like crap the next morning.

Even though I'm "spoiled" I've already kinda figured out who gets canned this wk.

Edited by DCCFanInKy
  • Love 2

Yikes! What a bloodbath.

Agreed! I couldn't tell....who went down during the preview?  Also how many episodes do we usually get?  Looks like they're gonna go into the FB season this show season.

Agreed! I couldn't tell....who went down during the preview?  Also how many episodes do we usually get?  Looks like they're gonna go into the FB season this show season.

Adding to  last post.  Looks like next week is "it".....but I still wanna know who went down??

I feel like I just watched a firing squad. At the rate we're going, there should be about 10 dancers and Miss Kitty drafted to be on the kick line.

Nice to see Angela get redemption this week as a powerhouse dancer after last week's edit of not being show group ready.

• Love 7

Wow, that was a blood bath. I've watched every season of this show and I've never seen that many cut at the end. I agree with the cuts though save for Sheila who I didn't know existed until tonight. Boy, Melissa has been useless this season, pretty much everyone she has helped has been cut.

Kendall had balls but she couldn't back it up unfortunately.

• Love 1

That was a massacre but I'm actually glad that K & J decided to save themselves the trouble of keeping girls who weren't quite ready. While I don't Agree with them cutting Courtney, I'm glad that they are doing what is needed to make the best team.

In past seasons we've watched them keep girls (Kelly Jo and Lonie, anyone?) that had no business being on the team. So I'm glad they took no prisoners tonight.

Edited by Beana8
  • Love 1

I found it funny that in show group auditions it was made clear that the judges were not feeling Loren so for her to come help Coutrney and Simone... I just found that funny. I almost think Loren kinda messed Courtney up with her critiques.

Edited by Beana8
  • Love 2

That was absolutely brutal to watch and I was surprised they let go all four, but at the same point I couldn't fault that decision. They just weren't up to par, period.

It does make me wonder though if some of those cuts should have been made earlier in camp - like Tyler. Girls who are on the bubble for kicks practically never make the team. Waiting til the very end and then having a masscare just adds insult to injury to the girls cut.

• Love 1

In defense of the rookies, going from the studio to the field can be a big adjustment. When I was in high school, our dance team always performed on the sidelines, even at halftime. When I was in college, our dance team always performed on the field. Even though I was used to doing very precise formations in high school, it was a lot more challenging to adapt to being on the football field in college than I thought it would be. When you are in a smaller space you can keep track of your spacing based on your peripheral vision because the girl next to you will actually be next to you, as in only a foot or two away from you at most. But when you are on the field, the dancers are much more spread out much more so you often aren't able to see exactly how far away you are from the next girl. Like the DCC, we also used the yard lines on the field for placement. At the beginning of my first season, I spent a lot of time tilting my head down or sneaking looks to the left/right to make sure that I was on the right line or spaced correctly from the girls next to me. It took me about half the football season before I had a better feel for the field so that I didn't have to do that anymore (and we practiced on the field once a week). Expecting the rookies to learn how to do the entrance correctly and stay spaced correctly in one night of rehearsal can be a lot for anyone who isn't used to performing in such a huge space, so I really sympathize with them.

I have wondered since the first season why they wait so long to have the girls start practicing on the field. I understand that it's better to be in the studio to initially learn the dances so that they have the mirrors to help them, but it would make more sense to start practicing on the field earlier in training camp so that they can get used to selling it to the last row.

The other thing I never understood is why they wait so long to teach them the entrance choreography. They could let the girls learn the steps in the studio and then all they would have to concentrate on once they get to the field is their spacing.

All the girls know they need to have their kicks and splits before they audition so it boggles my mind that anyone comes to auditions knowing that they can't do either. It's too bad that Taylor was cut for her kicks because she really is a great performer. Part of me is annoyed that she didn't come to training camp with better flexibility. If you know you are going to audition and your kicks are low, you should start working on your flexibility MONTHS before tryouts! But the other part of me is annoyed because Taylor's kicks aren't as bad as I remember Loni's being. The fact that Kelli had to search for Taylor during the kickline says to me that her kicks weren't noticeably lower than the other girls' kicks (ahem, the way that Loni's were).

Kyndall said this week and last week that she doesn't make mistakes and that she knows she can do it and she wants to show Kelli and Judy that she can do it, but the fact remains that she IS making mistakes, she ISN'T doing it, and she HASN'T shown K&J that she can do it. At this point in training camp, you can't be screwing up the choreography as much as she has the last few weeks. It's one thing to make one mistake during a dance or to have one off night at rehearsal, but she has been consistently making mistakes with choreography.

It's always been interesting to see that sometimes when Kelli cuts people, she encourages certain girls to come back the next year and I did notice that she hadn't done that this season until Kyndall. Interesting that she told Selina to come back too.

• Love 2

All the girls know they need to have their kicks and splits before they audition so it boggles my mind that anyone comes to auditions knowing that they can't do either. It's too bad that Taylor was cut for her kicks because she really is a great performer. Part of me is annoyed that she didn't come to training camp with better flexibility. If you know you are going to audition and your kicks are low, you should start working on your flexibility MONTHS before tryouts! But the other part of me is annoyed because Taylor's kicks aren't as bad as I remember Loni's being. The fact that Kelli had to search for Taylor during the kickline says to me that her kicks weren't noticeably lower than the other girls' kicks (ahem, the way that Loni's were).

Yeah I don't get that either.  I'm not a huge Taylor fan, but she was a strong performer and her kicks had definitely improved.  If Loni got a chance years ago and Kali and McKienzie got a break, I don't see why they couldn't do the same for Taylor.  

I also don't get why so many of the girls don't work on their kicks prior to the audition and incorporate that into their prelim dance so the judges can see that they can kick right off the bat.

• Love 1

They don't go out on the field earlier because they have to block placements.

At the same time I'm glad they give the borderline girls a chance on the field before they cut them.

I think the girls should learn the entrance choreography on their own. I feel like I know the beginnings of it just from watching the show. And there must be local football fields they could practice hitting the yard lines.

Football season started two weeks ago.

Edited by rose711

Alternate title for this episode could have been “Selina: We Barely Knew Ye.”  She is one of the girls I feel SO bad for…like she said, she’d never been called in to the office before and suddenly she’s cut.  They did give her corrections for sure but I honestly did not see a big difference between her or, say, Simone.  I bet she will come back next year.  She is pretty young and obviously knows what it takes now to get on the team. 

I can understand the Kyndall cut.  Like Kelli said, you WANT her to be field ready and she just isn’t.  Too many mistakes…but I really came to like her and I SO hope she makes it next year!! Such an effortlessly pretty girl with a lot of poise.  Kaleigh’s cut is still kind of odd to me, I think she would have done fine on the squad and been a nice addition on maturity and life experience but I guess they really needed her to stand out more.  I felt bad about hers though because she does seem so nice and down to earth. 

Courtney’s cut I just do not understand!! They have taken girls far less talented or enjoyable to watch…this year is just so ODD.  I still don’t think she has the usual DCC look but darn it, she worked so hard, improved and has such a great performance quality.  Really bummed for her and I hope she makes it next year.  Her comments crack me up too…I really don’t think she realizes how she sounds which is what makes it so funny.  “I heard my name a lot tonight and you don’t want that! Because when they say something to you it’s never good!”  LOL

Poor Taylor...I think they did her right by giving her so much extra time, even though it hurt to get cut right before the final team.  I ended up really being a fan of hers…she was not a Vivian in any way and seemed to work SO hard and I really thought her kicks looked decent.  Yeah, left was a little low but her right seemed solid.  Just sucks and my heart broke for her.  She was definitely a favorite with the other girls too. 

There must be something about Simone they really like…I don’t think she is anything standout and has tendonitis which could flare any time but they get rid of Courtney and keep her?  And I LIKE Simone a lot.  I just don’t get it, I guess.

Nice to see Angela get to shine a bit, she really is such a great performer and it will be weird without her on the squad next year.  We also finally got to see Chantal!!! Even though it was because she was screwing up lol  Thought it was good to see Loren more too…even though her leaps weren’t the best last week lol she IS an excellent power dancer.  You could really see the difference in the way she moved vs Courtney and Simone.  I can’t remember who it was now, one of the rookies on Twitter put out a special thank you to her when squad was first announced, how they couldn’t have made it without her help. 

I hope they don’t drag out squad announcement next week…I can’t even imagine what a mind game it really is.  Kat looks just ready to crack in the previews for next week :(

I agree, Taylor really won me over.  In the past, girls like Kyndall and Courtney would make it and then get cut the next season when they proved to not be up to snuff (for example, Morgan and Ashley Pro).  As much as I hated to see both girls cut last night, it's better to do it now and make them take a year off and work hard, than to give them the false impression that they are ready, only to cut them as returning vets.

• Love 3

I'm just getting to the show now and can I just say that for the past six weeks I have been muttering to myself, "Really?  They aren't using Bang Bang for a dance??  That seems like such a no-brainer!"  And finally last night!  THERE IT WAS!  

I realize that I may be an idiot.

HAIROGRAPHY???  I am dying.  I'm going to start using that in my everyday life :D

I was never a huge Taylor fan - I just don't like her look -  and I really don't like her exit interview about having her dreams crushed. Sweetheart, you may be a the greatest dancer ever but if you go to training camp without being at the PEAK of your flexibility, then you are the only one who crushed your dream.

When K&J had Courtney, Kyndall and Kaleigh dance one their own, I really noticed how NOT ready they were.  Kyndall was just a total mess, Kaleigh just faded even when she was with two other not-great dancers and Courtney was stiff.

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Love 2

There must be something about Simone they really like

I know if I were Kelli I would have been miffed at Simone saying that there are vets who are willing to work with her on her power. That implies to me that she knows she has power issues, but up to now hasn't been getting help from the vets. I'd think that would be a bit of a red flag *shrugs*

The fact that Kelli had to search for Taylor during the kickline says to me that her kicks weren't noticeably lower than the other girls' kicks

I thought the same thing.

It's always been interesting to see that sometimes when Kelli cuts people, she encourages certain girls to come back the next year and I did notice that she hadn't done that this season until Kyndall.

It was interesting to me that Taylor said she was told to come back next year, but she was cut before Kyndall and you're correct, Kelli did tell Kyndall she was the first this year who she encouraged to return.

• Love 1
If Loni got a chance years ago and Kali and McKienzie got a break, I don't see why they couldn't do the same for Taylor. 

I believe this is because K&J realized through those experiences that more often than not, girls that get a break don't work out well. They seem to have made a conscious decision to cut their losses early.

It's always been interesting to see that sometimes when Kelli cuts people, she encourages certain girls to come back the next year and I did notice that she hadn't done that this season until Kyndall. Interesting that she told Selina to come back too.

She didn't say that to Selina on camera. Which makes me think they say it to plenty of people, we just don't see it all the time. It would make sense for K&J to encourage almost everyone to return, except for the ones they know for sure will never work. After all, someone who was weaker in this year's class may be stronger when compared to the next year's class.

It's too bad that Taylor was cut for her kicks because she really is a great performer. Part of me is annoyed that she didn't come to training camp with better flexibility. If you know you are going to audition and your kicks are low, you should start working on your flexibility MONTHS before tryouts!

If I recall correctly from the spoilers thread, Taylor put an entire year of effort into preparing for this year's auditions. I think she did manage to improve her kicks from where they were a year ago, but she just doesn't have the physical ability to get them any higher. Just as Lacey and Kat are on the "freakishly loose" end of normal, Taylor is on the much tighter end of normal. She can spend her whole life stretching and never get there.

Expecting the rookies to learn how to do the entrance correctly and stay spaced correctly in one night of rehearsal can be a lot for anyone who isn't used to performing in such a huge space, so I really sympathize with them.

When I was on dance team, when we took a new dance out to the field, the first thing we'd do is walk all the way through the music, without doing the choreo, just to establish our marks with the counts. We'd do that several times until everyone was hitting their marks cleanly, then we'd add the choreography. I'm surprised the DCC don't do this, so new girls get some practice with using their peripheral vision to keep one eye on the girls next to them and one eye on the yard lines and hash marks. Then again, maybe they do, and we just don't see it. Or maybe they're just overwhelmed, because it really isn't that hard to understand that the ball of your foot needs to hit the line on 8.

Courtney’s cut I just do not understand!

There's something about Courtney I just don't "get." She's pretty, seems nice, has power. But she was never one of my favorites. Maybe because there was just too much of her in the early episodes. I"m having the same problem with Amy Trader. I have an instinctive dislike for anyone I feel the show is trying to shove down my throat.

I was really distracted by Courtney's roots last night. Don't they have the squad photo soon? Do they wait until the last minute to touch up the hair?

Another one I don't get is Claire. Other than laying on the floor, I don't think we've seen much of her. I don't see anything especially captivating there.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 1

Even though there's no more cuts, will Kelli call some girls into her office just for drama?

Courtney saying she was hours away from making the team reminded me of Kaime who said something similiar when being cut. Ironic they both ended going back to the DSIG.

I don't know who falls down during kickline but it's a vet because she's in blue.

Edited by MrsEVH

Oh yes ... I never watched Glee :D

I never have ever but I first heard the term from Michelle Keys'...when she taught her class to "Pony" a few months back, a clip she posted had one girl showing amazing "hairography".  Definitely need to start working that word into my everyday conversations LOL

• Love 2

I never have ever but I first heard the term from Michelle Keys'...when she taught her class to "Pony" a few months back, a clip she posted had one girl showing amazing "hairography".  Definitely need to start working that word into my everyday conversations LOL

I already know how I am going to use it!  I am meeting a friend today for lunch.  I shall prance up to the table and do a DCC, leg pointed out to side, bend over to touch the floor and fling my hair up before sitting down.  When she asks what the hell I am doing I will tell her that I am working on my hairography :D

• Love 6

Even though there's no more cuts, will Kelli call some girls into her office just for drama?

Courtney saying she was hours away from making the team reminded me of Kaime who said something similiar when being cut. Ironic they both ended going back to the DSIG.

I don't know who falls down during kickline but it's a vet because she's in blue.

Yeah, really curious which vet hurt herself in the kickline! She looked like she had dark hair and I don't recall any brunettes having to sit out for awhile? I don't know how more girls don't get mortally wounded doing the jump split.

• Love 1

Hairography isn't a new term..actually heard it before Glee.

Taylor's kicks weren't TERRIBLE, but she clearly had the same issue MacKenzie had in that her release was pretty quick. She seemed to be a favorite.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever heard the number 36 so many times in one hour. Geez.

I think Simone may be one of those one-year rookies. Guess we'll have to wait and see next season.

I just noticed that this week's episode isn't on again at any time today; there seems to be a "Friday Night Lights" marathon tonight instead. So folks who missed this last night will likely have to view it on computer.

WHAT?!?! A FNL marathon?!?!?!  I'M THERE.

• Love 2

I agree, Taylor really won me over. In the past, girls like Kyndall and Courtney would make it and then get cut the next season when they proved to not be up to snuff (for example, Morgan and Ashley Pro). As much as I hated to see both girls cut last night, it's better to do it now and make them take a year off and work hard, than to give them the false impression that they are ready, only to cut them as returning vets.

Good point - the fate of a cut vet who doesn't make TC when trying to come back for a 2nd season is far worse than what happened to these girls. At least they got the message that they were very, very close and know what they need to work on (or at least some of them know - especially Taylor). Of all of the girls cut last night, if I could have picked one to save, it would have been Taylor.

• Love 1

As much as I liked Kyndall, I understand why they cut her. She was just making too many mistakes. I hope she tries out again.

I don't understand the cuts of Selina or Courtney nearly as much. Courtney was clumsy with her feet, but I think she would have been ok. It seems like Selina was cut just to even out the numbers. Her cut reminded me of Marie's cut a few years ago where she was never called in but got caught on the last night.

Taylor was a great dancer, but her kicks were bad. I never have quite as much sympathy for girls with bad kicks. I can see how a girl can be a good dancer but struggle in training camp due to not getting the style or not being used to learning so many dances at once, but kicks... They know exactly what they're getting into. Yes, they've taken some girls with low kicks ...McKenzie and Kali, but you can't count on that.

I'm glad Simone survived. I think she is gorgeous.

• Love 1

I agree, Taylor really won me over. In the past, girls like Kyndall and Courtney would make it and then get cut the next season when they proved to not be up to snuff (for example, Morgan and Ashley Pro). As much as I hated to see both girls cut last night, it's better to do it now and make them take a year off and work hard, than to give them the false impression that they are ready, only to cut them as returning vets.

Yeah. I agree with the idea that Kellie and Judy were only going to take the girls who were game ready. I agree with the cuts too. I got the feeling that they are just over having to try to coddle girls along. Also, the main factor really seems to be how they will look on the screen and on tv. They would rather not have a girl than have someone who Wil be making mistakes on the screen. I guess maybe they have learned that girls don't really improve so much after the season starts because they are learning new things and adjusting to new things constantly.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 1

Melissa has been useless this season, pretty much everyone she has helped has been cut.

. I like Melissa's role this year and that she has added help by seasoned vets. The nature of Melissa's "job" is to help the struggling ones. By the nature of the system only a few potentially that she works with will click with the addl help and make it.
  • Love 5

It does make me wonder though if some of those cuts should have been made earlier in camp - like Tyler. Girls who are on the bubble for kicks practically never make the team. Waiting til the very end and then having a masscare just adds insult to injury to the girls cut.

. I like Taylor a lot and I do think because of her dance performance they tried to give her as long as they could. her kicks were so low though, I just don't think she has enough time to realistically get there. I am a fan but she really should have been working on them the past 2-3 seasons she tried out. Numbers wise with so many rookie spots open this really was her best shot. :(

. I like Taylor a lot and I do think because of her dance performance they tried to give her as long as they could. her kicks were so low though, I just don't think she has enough time to realistically get there. I am a fan but she really should have been working on them the past 2-3 seasons she tried out. Numbers wise with so many rookie spots open this really was her best shot. :(

I read some other comments that said Taylor had been working on her kicks all year and posting about it on her social media.

She really turned me off with her statement about everyone shod get to have their dream. She certainly has seen other girls cut this season, what about their dreams? I just didn't like her attitude of entitlement there at the end. If your kicks aren't good enough, and they may never be good enough, she doesn't deserve to make the team. I was shocked that she only got 2 yeses, 10 maybes and 4 noes. She seemed to have few fans in the judges.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 3

I'm glad Simone survived. I think she is gorgeous.

. Someone pieced together the rankings from finals and I think she was 22 or something very high... So I think that was in her favor trying to nurse her injury. It also helps that they do not have many stand out rookie beauties, because she for sure is one. thumbs up Simone!
  • Love 2

I read some other comments that said Taylor had been working on her kicks all year and posting about it on her social media.

. wow, I did not know that. well then, she just doesn't have it unfortunately. She is shorter too, so they have to worry about the camera catching her Near the end on the line and how that visually represents DCC as a whole.
  • Love 1

I know if I were Kelli I would have been miffed at Simone saying that there are vets who are willing to work with her on her power. That implies to me that she knows she has power issues, but up to now hasn't been getting help from the vets. I'd think that would be a bit of a red flag *shrugs*.

I did not get that at all... I think she was trying to say she was working on it and secured vets volunteer time to help her continue working on it. She obviously had been working w Melissa already, etc.

I can understand the Kyndall cut.  Like Kelli said, you WANT her to be field ready and she just isn’t.  Too many mistakes…but I really came to like her and I SO hope she makes it next year!! Such an effortlessly pretty girl with a lot of poise.:(

. I loved that she approached Judy and Kelli and asked for another shot. unfortunately, it was evident that she was not ready and following the choreography.... But I love her tenacity and her personality. I think it was refreshing for Judy and Kelli to be spoken to like regular people instead of being approached in fear like usual. I hope she comes back stronger next year!

Of all the girls on the bubble I thought Taylor had the best chance of surviving...I'll never get how you can be loose/flexible enough to do a jump split but then have low kicks!

. Someone explained that beautifully on the last episode posts....it has to do with strength keeping it up there combined with flexibility. but, they explained it really well.
  • Love 2