Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I didn't tune into the Raiders-Jets game until late in the third quarter, but from that limited exposure it wound up being oddly entertaining watching two inept teams compete to see who could make the bigger mistakes.  And gratifying to watch Aaron Rodgers sucking on sour grapes on the sidelines.  Yay, Raiders.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

Kwon Alexander of the Steelers tore an Achilles today.  Doesn't it seem there have been a lot of Achilles injuries this year?  Rodgers, Akers, Cousins, Dobbins, that Bills CB whose name I can't think of, and now Alexander.  Am I missing anyone?  Weren't there a couple of Achilles injuries in the preseason too?  That would be 8 and that seems a lot when it's only week 10.  

Daniel Jones, too

It should be noted that the Raiders game ended 16-12 and the Giants, against a dirty defense that wasn’t laying down, scored 17.  Does it make me feel even a little better?   No, I just wanted to point it out.

58 minutes ago

17 hours ago, mojoween said:

I would be holding my nose and crying while I did it.

🤣

Dang.  That’s me whenever the Chargers/Raiders/Broncos/Bills/Bengals play each other (“Can’t you both lose?!?”)

That will be me next Monday Night when its Eagles - Chiefs. I don't mind the Eagles. But, I absolutely loathed the Chiefs on so many levels, so that game will be a "I wish that they both lose" type of game. Lately, rooting & liking the Chiefs is as similar as rooting & liking the Cowboys. All were missing from Kansas City right now is a very repulsive owner & person like Jerry Jones & his stupid son Stephen Jones.

As for tonight's game, I may like Bills Mafia & their classiness, but I just can't seem to get remotely excited about Broncos at Bills. I would rather watch Bills Mafia & their very amusing antics for 3 hours than this game. 

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, voiceover said:

🤣

Dang.  That’s me whenever the Chargers/Raiders/Broncos/Bills/Bengals play each other (“Can’t you both lose?!?”)

It's a Bengals/Cowboys/Raiders/Ravens issue for me. Yeah, I don't care that the Bengals suck and have sucked for half a century. They can continue to suck and I will revel in it. 

This Bills/Broncos game is quite scintillating in its dullness. Denver has a better defense; otherwise all is equal in mediocrity. Thanks to a Bills defensive penalty, Broncos might score.

Vikings play Broncos next week. We need to prepare for the Bronco's defense. Vikings are playing better but they're not super good (yet).

• Like 1

They didn’t deserve to win with all those mistakes and turnovers. Broncos have beaten the Bills and Chiefs- too bad their offense is awful or they would be a decent team. 

The Texans have been the most impressive team so far. What a turnaround after the dumpster fire last year.

6 hours ago, twoods said:

They didn’t deserve to win with all those mistakes and turnovers. Broncos have beaten the Bills and Chiefs- too bad their offense is awful or they would be a decent team. 

Best team to have given up 70 points in a game?  They're in the running, right?

• LOL 2

Whether they lost 35-30 against Miami or 70-20 doesn't change the fact that it'll be tough down the stretch for Denver.  They will get Minnesota at home, but that's with less rest.

The issue is that their schedule is pretty brutal.  Before their road journey against the Texans, Chargers, and Lions, they'll host Cleveland who is actually looking very good right now.  Not sure if it's Top Seed good (it will be I think if they beat Jacksonville and/or Houston), but the Browns can be very good regardless of the venue.  Plus their division is all contending for a spot with Cincinnati (probably the best team) just outside in 8th place.  So there might not be enough time for the Broncos, currently in 14th place, to get there.

FWIW, the combined score between Denver & Kansas City is 31-28.  It might be too late 3 games back to catch KC for the division, but if they and others struggle down the stretch, it could be be in play.  That'll be the only way they'll get to the postseason

11 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Epic fuck up by the Bills. If they just miss the playoffs this year, their fanbase will never forget 12 Men on Defense.

They should also never forget the 4 turnovers in the game that was just as costly as that inexcusable 12 Men on the Field Penalty.

What a bunch of losers & I'm also not here for Stefon Diggs & his constant whining. His brother (Trevon Diggs) was not happy about the loss & mentioned on Social Media that he wants his brother out of Buffalo ASAP.

BTW, their OC (Ken Dorsey) just got fired. And well deserved after that debacle last night.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

Speaking of Buffalo and New York, maybe (unlike Pittsburgh), Brian and Josh will come to the conclusion that they were actually better off together.

While it'll be messed up if the Giants fired Daboll, I wasn't a fan of the fact that he was the outright success behind the magic between him and Allen.  In a year where the GMEN should've moved on from Daniel, they have one great year, beat a team that didn't have a defense, and that was enough to move forward and disrespect Barkley.

I do agree that New York should've beaten Buffalo, but the latter has the better QB, so I didn't lose sleep over it

7 hours ago, Magog said:

BTW, their OC (Ken Dorsey) just got fired. And well deserved after that debacle last night

But is it really his fault the players lost the ball four times last night?  Or has 12 men on the field at the end?

Granted, they haven't been playing inspired ball and Diggs is rarely targeted (change your attitude first, Stefon), but I basically think he's the sacrificial lamb as McDermott tries to keep his job.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, meep.meep said:

the story of P. Mahomes and his lucky underwear.

Because Patrick knows that, in the words of Bull Durham’s Crash Davis, you have to *respect the streak:

Crash: “I told him a player on a streak has to respect the streak.” 
Annie: “Fine.” 
Crash: “You know why? Because they don’t happen very often.” 
Annie: “Right.”
Crash: “If you believe you’re playing well because you’re getting laid or because you’re not getting laid or because you wear women’s underwear, then you are.“

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Magog said:

Well, we won't have to worry about DeShaun Watson anymore this season because his season is now over because of that injured shoulder that now needs surgery.

I feel bad for Browns fans because I know what it's like for my team to lose a star player to injury.  But Deshaun Watson let me introduce you to Karma.

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:
1 hour ago, Magog said:

Well, we won't have to worry about DeShaun Watson anymore this season because his season is now over because of that injured shoulder that now needs surgery.

I feel bad for Browns fans because I know what it's like for my team to lose a star player to injury.  But Deshaun Watson let me introduce you to Karma.

Worse. Contract. Ever.

I don't feel bad for Browns fans at all.  That takes effort, where I'd fail if I tried.  That being said, this isn't ideal.  While Watson wasn't ever getting back to what he was, looked like he headed to a better direction.

As for DeShaun himself, I didn't laugh here.  Nothing to cheer about.  I can't even preach "consequences" but all I can say is that injuries are part of the game.

So no emotion here.  Not sad, not mad, not glad.  Just a shoulder shrug for me

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Worse. Contract. Ever.

I don't feel bad for Browns fans at all.  That takes effort, where I'd fail if I tried.  That being said, this isn't ideal.  While Watson wasn't ever getting back to what he was, looked like he headed to a better direction.

As for DeShaun himself, I didn't laugh here.  Nothing to cheer about.  I can't even preach "consequences" but all I can say is that injuries are part of the game.

So no emotion here.  Not sad, not mad, not glad.  Just a shoulder shrug for me

which, apparently, he can't do now...

• Fire 1
  • LOL 6
10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Jimmy Haslam deserves what he gets.

F the Haslams.  Andrew Berry better not get fired over this, when it was Jimmy who said to pay Deshaun anything he wants.

Can we gets Josh Dobbs back?

11 hours ago, Carey said:

I don't feel bad for Browns fans at all. 

Way to be charitable to the fans who had nothing to do with bringing Deshaun on.  People can feel sorry Lions fans, Houston fans, Jets fans, and other long suffering teams.  But not Brownies. Thanks alot.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Magog said:

I suppose massage will be part of his therapy.

And, gee, too bad the Browns sent Joshua Dobbs to Arizona during the off-season. And he's unavailable now because of Vikings.

• LOL 1

I wouldn't sleep on the Browns.  Watson had his moments, but he wasn't playing at an elite level either.  PK Walker wasn't that great; actually he was pretty bad, but got help against San Francisco & Indianapolis during the most critical points.

As long as the run game is decent, and as long as the Garrett is playing, there should not be too much of a change.

Apparently, Walker is not starting when the Steelers play them on Sunday.  While not much film, it was enough to probably hinder him.  Though not really without 2 of their starting lineman out for 2023 due to injuries.  So the defense, which is what Pittsburgh focuses on almost exclusively, will be short handed.

Now with Dorian Thompson-Robinson (DTR) starting instead, that may be a cause for concern.  No telling what he can bring, which is a plus for Cleveland.  Not that it matters, IMO.  Without Minkah, as mentioned, the Steelers are in trouble.  Furthermore, it's going to be a nightmare for Pickett & company.

Pittsburgh has 3 outcomes destined for them this year.  They win at the very end after wrecking the hearts of their fans, they lose, or they get blown out.  They're going to get blown out big time at least once or twice before the end of the season, and it's very possible that this weekend is one of those games.  However, a close (though painful) loss would be the best outcome (if they don't score on defense) but they'll still finish under 300-400 yards & get outgained to continue a likely stat of being outgained in all 17 games (and possibly still finish over 500)

12 hours ago, roamyn said:

F the Haslams.  Andrew Berry better not get fired over this, when it was Jimmy who said to pay Deshaun anything he wants.

Can we gets Josh Dobbs back?

Way to be charitable to the fans who had nothing to do with bringing Deshaun on.  People can feel sorry Lions fans, Houston fans, Jets fans, and other long suffering teams.  But not Brownies. Thanks alot.

I not only feel sorry for Brown's fans, but also for fans of any team that does poorly for multiple years.  I also have great respect for fans that stick with their losing teams.  The fans I don't have respect for are the ones that jump on popular bandwagons (like Cowboys and Yankees fans - legit fans that have a connection other than 'the team is winning or popular,' I have no problem with.  Just the bandwagon ones.)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Johannah said:

I not only feel sorry for Brown's fans, but also for fans of any team that does poorly for multiple years.  I also have great respect for fans that stick with their losing teams.  The fans I don't have respect for are the ones that jump on popular bandwagons (like Cowboys and Yankees fans - legit fans that have a connection other than 'the team is winning or popular,' I have no problem with.  Just the bandwagon ones.)

I always wonder what makes people a fan of a particular team if they don't have a personal connection to that team.  My son likes the NY Giants because he liked Michael Strahan.  I also wonder how many bandwagon fans turn into real fans.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I always wonder what makes people a fan of a particular team if they don't have a personal connection to that team.  My son likes the NY Giants because he liked Michael Strahan.  I also wonder how many bandwagon fans turn into real fans.

I think you answered your own question.  More often than not, the rooting interest would be a particular player that one would admire, even if they sorta hate the team.  For instance, Rod Woodson played for Baltimore, a Pittsburgh rival.  It was nice (for me) to see him get that title even though I didn't jump for joy off the the Super Bowl 35 outcome.

To each their own, but definitively it's a player that used to be on your home team, a college team you admired, or someone from your alma mater

• Like 1

In my case, and I'd imagine in most fans cases, it's the location & culture you grew up with.

Now I loved Marty Schottenheimer so much I became a Chiefs fan for a while.  It helped that I also loved the Royals due to George Brett.

Now?  I'm rooting on the Texans because of CJ (always a Buckeye).  Having lived away from Cleveland for 20 years, plus the rage I feel toward the Haslams, makes it easier to find a vibrant, fun team with a Buckeye for a QB.

(Will always be an Indians/Guardians fan)

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, roamyn said:

'm rooting on the Texans because of CJ (always a Buckeye). 

I live in a neighboring state so I am an Ohio State fan.  Also my dad grew up close to Columbus so he was fan.  I always root for the Buckeyes in the NFL.  

23 minutes ago, roamyn said:

plus the rage I feel toward the Haslams,

I feel rage towards them on behalf of all Browns fans.  It sucks when you have an owner who fucks things up.  One of my good friends was a Commanders fan and unfortunately she died before seeing Snyder finally gone.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Too bad for Charissa Thompson.  As is the custom, bad choices have consequences.

As far as Thursday Night Football, either team winning will not be a surprise.  I'm not a fan of TNF, but sometimes you'll get a very good matchup.  At that's left is for said matchup to live up to the expectations.

Justin Tucker breaking a tie to win for Baltimore has Cincinnati covering, but not before some offense between the two to get over that 46.5 Over/Under.  Just my guess

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Too bad for Charissa Thompson.  As is the custom, bad choices have consequences.

I find it hysterical. She's just pointing out the obvious, which is that these reports are utterly predictable. It's the same as asking someone who just lost a family member in a tragedy how they are feeling about it. We all know the answer. I'm sure the coaches were happy to have her give the answers they would have given anyway so that they didn't have to bother with it. "We need to do better" blah blah. In fact, we know it, because when did a coach ever come out and say, "No, I didn't say that to her"? When was the last time a coach said anything surprising? When was the last time we had a sideline report that actually gave non-obvious information aside from a just-injured player's status?

This is why they give a woman the job of being the sideline reporter in the first place, because it's a bullshit job that contributes zero value to the broadcast outside eye candy for male viewers (queer women might appreciate the eye candy too, but let's be real, the networks are not thinking about queer women in selecting female sideline reporters). In a way I admire Thompson for recognizing it's a bullshit job and just playing into that. I see other reporters being very indignant, but they didn't/don't bring any more value to it than she did. It's a bullshit job. Thompson is just the one who's admitting it and isn't trying to pretend.

Watching Joe Burrow’s inability to throw the football was painful.  Can’t imagine what that poor kid is going through.

Sideline reports may be bullshit, but Charissa deserves all the shit she is getting for saying it out loud.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Sideline reports may be bullshit, but Charissa deserves all the shit she is getting for saying it out loud.

This.  I agree sideline reporters are stupid (the idea, not the reporter necessarily).  But you still can't make stuff up, and then tell people you're making stuff up and not expect people to be mad about that.  If you don't want to do the job, quit.

• Like 3

You know I actually respect the rivals as human beings when someone playing for a team I hate gets hurt to the point where I am not happy about it.  I don't think I've been so dejected over a game.  That's saying a lot within a game where you'd want both teams to lose.

I actually admire Thompson.  FWIW, she hasn't been a big time sideline reporter for a long time.  I'm so not in the fire her category.  It's no surprise that everything's made up.  I probably would've not said anything to confirm it though.

Thinking about one thing in particular, sometimes lying is the correct decision whereas telling the truth leads to one's ouster.  For instance, if North Carolina State AD Boo Corrigan said they dropped Michigan due to allegations on cheating, he and the CFB Playoff committee would be no more.  Not saying they did (since there's reason to rank them below OSU and UGA), but you probably cannot admit something like that.

The old saying is the truth hurts; FWIW, maybe do away with the sideline reporting going forward

7 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Get well soon, Joey Bear.

I hate till say this....but the guy's injury prone.  And the way he dropped the ball while attempting to throw, seems like more a tendon issue than just a sprained wrist.

The Bengals are done.  They won't win the AFC North, and the Playoffs are doubtful now.  They've lost all of the division games.  They do hold the tie breaker with Buffalo, but even the Bills are looking suspect right now.

Edited by roamyn

I don't think Cincinnati was going to win the division anyway (unless Jackson got hurt again), but this just sucks.  I don't think the league would react right away over Joe getting injured on Thursday Night Football.  Other than Mahomes and maybe Hurts, he's the second biggest face of the league.  In react, that does not mean they're going to do away with TNF.  Maybe just make people play that game off of a bye instead of after a Sunday game.  That excludes Thanksgiving; really it's more wishful thinking.

The Bengals still had Jacksonville to deal with, and Pittsburgh tends to live on the edge.  Not just in games, but throughout the season, either backdooring into the postseason or missing the playoffs due to the help needed not coming through.

IMO, this is Cleveland's division to lose.  I do have to check who Baltimore has left, but I think they're both okay for now.  Who knows with Denver, but it looks like the Chargers are going to be fine, and the AFC South should be able to send 2 teams.  So that 4 for 4 AFC North in the playoffs?  Forget about it.

Finally, if there's any chance for Zac Taylor to go down as being a better coach than Marvin Lewis, this is the time

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

This right here is why she should not have said a fucking thing.

I missed whatever she said (although, reading here, she said they make up interviews?).  Anyway, I think I'm more upset about the dress she is wearing.

6 hours ago, roamyn said:

I hate till say this....but the guy's injury prone.  And the way he dropped the ball while attempting to throw, seems like more a tendon issue than just a sprained wrist.

The Bengals are done.  They won't win the AFC North, and the Playoffs are doubtful now.  They've lost all of the division games.  They do hold the tie breaker with Buffalo, but even the Bills are looking suspect right now.

You called it.  Torn ligaments.  Out for the season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1