Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

My Steelers are dreadful, and yet somehow, they pulled it out. I despise the Ravens and I had been only semi-watching with the sound muted. Ahh...Kenny Pickoff is terrible, but that Defense manages not to totally suck and then makes just enough magic to pull out a win.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Carey said:

I love the international games.

Since I don't even wake up until the second half of the morning games, I have never seen an international game and likely never will in my life.  A 6:30 a.m. kickoff?!  Even if the Giants were good again, and playing in London against the Cowboys, with the football gods guaranteeing me they'd beat the shit out of them and Jerry Jones would choke on a crumpet, I could not summon the will to wake up.

• Like 3

This just in....Taylor Swift is absent at US Bank Stadium.

Sorry Swifties!  I guess she hates CBS unless she's getting crowned for an award.

Plus, when I think of CBS late afternoon football on Sunday...I don't think of TS...I think of Summerall & Madden.

Followed by 60 Minutes and Murder She Wrote over most of these CBS Stations!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

12 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Pats are awful right now. 

72 3 last two weeks. 

For those of us that have been around for a long time, before the mid late 90s to early mid 2000s, that was called Tuesday

• Like 3

Today was my first day listening to JJ Watt in his new job, and wow he is all about me me me.

I haven’t checked my Twitter feed yet, but I imagine when Kelce went down it was a long string of “oh no”.

• Like 1

Is it time to sit Bryce in Carolina’s?  At least Andy Dalton gave them something of a chance.  Bryce keeps throwing INTs.  If you watch the head on shots via the drone, you can tell he’s clearly too short trying to throw over the linebackers heads.

Damn you, Cravens.  You couldn’t beat the Squealers?!

What do make of the Bills this week?  Was it jet lag/time difference r another Wk 1 fiasco?  Same w/Jags.  Was their slow start indicative of last year, or are they a muddle too?

The Lions look ferocious.  The AFC has no true front runner.  How do the Eagles keep on winning?  The Pats and Giants may be worse than the Bears.  And with all my picks losing (For the most part), I’m worried abt the 49ers.

Edited by roamyn
2 hours ago, Carey said:

This just in....Taylor Swift is absent at US Bank Stadium.

Sorry Swifties!  I guess she hates CBS unless she's getting crowned for an award.

Plus, when I think of CBS late afternoon football on Sunday...I don't think of TS...I think of Summerall & Madden.

Maybe she just decided she didn't want to spend the day in Minnesota.  It's not exactly a hub for the rich and famous.  If/when the Chiefs visit LA or Vegas she'll be back.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Maybe she just decided she didn't want to spend the day in Minnesota.  It's not exactly a hub for the rich and famous.  If/when the Chiefs visit LA or Vegas she'll be back.

I couldn't care less to be honest.  That was reported by CBS and NFLN (RedZone), not me.  I just didn't link to their confirmation.  I was hardly that focused on Chiefs & Vikings due to other games PLUS Texas/Baltimore in the ALDS.

While IDC about her attendance, that may be a fair reason, but secondary at best.  For instance, Pittsburgh isn't a hub for the rich & famous either.  However, TS has been there several times, including back to back nights this summer where the attendance crushed any Steelers game in that venue's 22-year history.

22 hours ago, Bastet said:

Since I don't even wake up until the second half of the morning games, I have never seen an international game and likely never will in my life.  A 6:30 a.m. kickoff?!  Even if the Giants were good again, and playing in London against the Cowboys, with the football gods guaranteeing me they'd beat the shit out of them and Jerry Jones would choke on a crumpet, I could not summon the will to wake up.

Yeah, 6:30 on a Sunday in the AM is not ideal ever.  Especially for something not related to work.  I can understand that.  Maybe once or twice a year.  Just speaking for myself, as I made an effort to wake up on a Saturday & Sunday at 5:00 AM for The Open (golf's final major).  Fortunately, the DVR creation is a great thing!

Edited by Carey
Edited for spelling

Wonder how the NFL is going to feel about Jim Nantz pointing out that the official told that Chief to put his helmet on, which should have actually been a penalty on the Chief.  (For the record, I didn’t think PI was correct, because the ball was uncatchable, but taking your helmet off on the field is always an infraction)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

If you have to have a stinker of a season, it’s apparently a good year to have an earned top 5 pick and a need for a QB. 

The Giants very well may be joining you.

I said on a Giants fan site that the folks wanting a new quarterback don't have to worry because the team will need to move on from Jones at the end of the season because he'll be dead. He was on pace to be sacked 96 times this season. So they'll just eat the dead money for the dead player next year and pick somebody else.

With the 6th sack today, which by the way INCREASES the amount of sacks he's on pace to absorb, their second year offensive lineman Josh Ezudu filling in for 2nd team All-Pro Andrew Thomas at left tackle just let a Dolphin player run right by him and actually almost kill Jones. I was only joking, but that was a little too close to being real. 

Jones left with a neck injury, which by the way, he has already had a season ending neck injury once in his career. This is scary for him if it's any kind of serious. He says he's in pain, but he also says he's okay. They'll have an MRI tomorrow.

Seriously, what the hell kind of blocking is this? And this same lineman committed back to back false start penalties on a drive earlier in the game and then had a holding call in the same drive (which was declined, but still.)

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=38605691

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wonder how the NFL is going to feel about Jim Nantz pointing out that the official told that Chief to put his helmet on, which should have actually been a penalty on the Chief.

It wouldn't have changed much. They would've called a dead ball unsportsmanlike conduct. So they would assess a half-the-distance penalty on the Chiefs and it still would be Chiefs' ball, First and Ten.

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

How do the Eagles keep on winning?

It helps to play a team prone to forgetting there are two halves, and they have to actually play in the second one as well.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wonder how the NFL is going to feel about Jim Nantz pointing out that the official told that Chief to put his helmet on, which should have actually been a penalty on the Chief.  (For the record, I didn’t think PI was correct, because the ball was uncatchable, but taking your helmet off on the field is always an infraction)

Helmet infraction would be very after the play anyway and not affect the change of possession. 

Just now, JTMacc99 said:

The Cowboys defense takes A LOT of cheap shots. That face mask penalty on McCaffery was ridiculous. He should have been tossed for that play. 

Gotta play the Chiefs for that to happen

Damn.  I should have stayed in bed buried under the covers.  My Ravens and Orioles lost and I played cards with friends and got whomped.  One of my fantasy teams is going to lose and the other one only has a shot if whomever I'm playing doesn't wake up and realize his QB is on a bye week (his other QB doesn't play until tomorrow night, so plenty of time for him to switch them.)

Kind of depressed, but there's always tomorrow. 

At least that's what they tell me.

• Hugs 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

It was obvious to anyone watching the screen at that moment.

39 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Damn.  I should have stayed in bed buried under the covers.  My Ravens and Orioles lost and I played cards with friends and got whomped.  One of my fantasy teams is going to lose and the other one only has a shot if whomever I'm playing doesn't wake up and realize his QB is on a bye week (his other QB doesn't play until tomorrow night, so plenty of time for him to switch them.)

Kind of depressed, but there's always tomorrow. 

At least that's what they tell me.

Well, I've been told tomorrow is never promised.

Anyway, sorry you had a bad day, Johannah.  I probably will not lose sleep over the outcome at Acrisure, and even though the same goes for the outcome at Camden, I'm not pleased either.  Nothing against Texas, but the Orioles winning it all this year would've been nice to see.

As for Steelers & Ravens, it's all about matchups.  Lamar has had success against the teams the Steelers have struggled against, especially teams featuring Belichick and Brady.  However, it's a different story against the Steelers.  Yet, to stick with tradition, Ravens/Steelers are a true 60 minute game.  It wasn't so much 2 defenses killing each other, but it was more inept offenses.  

Especially Pittsburgh, and TPTB have chosen to forgo it.  A big reason why it's easier to do something else for the most part.  Too much on the to do list to waste time with average & mediocrity.  I am happy for the win.  I do not have time for people in Western PA "wanting the Steelers to lose" so that they could fire Matt Canada.  That's a DQ as a fan, more than doing something else in lieu of being all-in on Pittsburgh.

The big reason is that I hardly think they were making in-season changes anyway regardless of the outcome.

Looks like San Francisco is rolling.  Until this time a week from now, I'll be a little ticked off knowing that it's very possible Cleveland will whoop on the Niners and boast about it

• Like 1

The thing I'll say about Cleveland is that the Browns will be coming off of a bye.  This Cleveland team beat the crap out of the Bengals, who have treated the Chiefs like they're just another football team.

The Chiefs, speaking of Kansas City, are the only AFC team that has no issue with the Niners.  Cleveland on most days would crumble to San Francisco, but the 49ers will be emotional before travelling for a 10 AM game West to East.

Finally, the Eagles turned the 49ers into a bunch of people playing a football game at Lincoln Financial, where Brock lasted as long as A-Rod as a Jet.  In fact, they put SF in a position where they ran out of quarterbacks.

So there are 2-3 teams that can beat the NFC West champs, but will they?  Only God knows, I suppose

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

What a very lovely football game!

Seeing Dallas lose takes some of the pain away from the Patriots loss. I haven't seen the Patriots look this bad in a long time.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Seeing Dallas lose takes some of the pain away from the Patriots loss. I haven't seen the Patriots look this bad in a long time.

This is what happens when your coach no longer has the GOAT QB and makes some highly questionable draft choices and coaching hires.  He might be the GOAT coach, but even he's not above a little nepotism and cronyism.

• Like 2

The Giants may not win another game this year, but watching the Cowbungs get their Dallasses thoroughly kicked will never not be gleefully enjoyable.

3 hours ago, baldryanr said:

This is what happens when your coach no longer has the GOAT QB and makes some highly questionable draft choices and coaching hires.  He might be the GOAT coach, but even he's not above a little nepotism and cronyism.

Perhaps the only question is whether he'll actually be fired or if Bob Kraft will just allow him to retire with a Happy Ending.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

And the way Dallas is p!aying like punks, I guess an injury could happen.

That was on my mind as well. Like I said, that facemask during the first drive was ABSOLUTEY intentional.

I've seen enough Dallas games the last two years to notice that their defense does that stuff frequently. They go helmet to helmet early in the game and just absorb the penalty. They hit sliding quarterbacks. There was one play in this game where the DBs tackled McCaffrey along the sidelines and as he hit the ground with two Dallas DBs making the tackle, a 340 pound Dallas DT dove on top of him with all his weight. 

They're a shit team. I'm glad they got their ass handed to them last night.

• Like 2

Eh, the Niners D has also been playing dirty for the past few years. How many QBs have they knocked out? And McCaffrey is so short that pretty much every play can be a helmet to helmet since just trying to tackle him will get anyone to hit him in the helmet. 

I’m glad that after a few losses no one is going to talk about the Cowboys being an elite team this year. I do wish that the Eagles and Niners would lose soon, because they have some of the most obnoxious fan bases out there.

Pats getting their asses handed to them in front of their fans is glorious to watch. Keep this coming!

2 minutes ago, twoods said:

I do wish that the Eagles and Niners would lose soon, because they have some of the most obnoxious fan bases out there.

Well, one of them will lose before Christmas.  At least one of those teams, probably both.  Philadelphia, who has a date at Arrowhead, hosts San Francisco this season.

I don't think it's a big deal in terms of their fans.  You're not wrong, but New England & Pittsburgh both have those very same brand of fans.  It's been the norm forever.

As far as the GOAT coach thing...pretty much what was said about Tom vs Peyton might be the case with Bill vs Andy.  Of course, Tom sorta distanced himself.  Andy may not have won a chip as a head coach until Patrick showed up, but unlike Bill, he's been competitive.  He was in Philadelphia, and when he got to Kansas City, he turned that team around immediately.  The success was there; no 5-11 or 0-2 starts needed.

Colin and Jason from the Herd brought this up over the past year: if the rules now had been in place 20 years prior, we might not be talking about the current GOAT coach being just that.  Championship count?  Who knows, but I imagine it would've been different

Somebody needs to find poor little Jerry Jones & give him a hug & tell him," Awwww... Everything will be OK." after last night. It won't be me though, because I enjoy that ass whopping last night. Unlike Jerry Jones, I slept very very well like a baby last night.

The only bad thing about the Cowboys basically not winning the NFC East this season is that the Cowboys won't get a home Playoff game so we won't get to see more wonderful stuff like this.

Stephen’s A-List: Top 5 favorite Cowboys fan images 🤣 | First Take

Stephen A. BEGS for the producers to show video of the Cowboys fans crying ☹️ | First Take

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

Yeah that's too bad.  Though to be fair, it is still fairly early.  FWIW, Dallas might have success against Philadelphia.  Brock still needs to prove it.  More on that later.

I guess they don't do this for obvious reasons, or because they aren't allowed to, but I would've loved to see Dallas host an NFC Title game and lose at home.  From there, whoever beats them gets the trophy celebration at midfield instead of the locker room.  That I would love to see.

I think I'm sick of hearing how Brock Purdy is undefeated (who every time) in "games he starts & finishes" as the last pick.  Nothing against, Purdy, but to the media & whomever: Just say Brock Purdy is 12-1 and/or say he hasn't lost a regular season game.  He's done well even in the postseason.  IMO, saying the only game the Niners lost was the one he didn't play in for the most part is worse.  Yeah it would've been a full loss had he completed the game at Lincoln Financial Field, but the fact that he got hit to the point where he couldn't continue adds insult to injury.  Although his backup got hurt to prompt the following, hats off for trying to do what he could.  Eventually he'll lose a game that he's involved in throughout its entirety, it feels like the media is overrating the guy.  Which is fair, but San Francisco is a very complete team

7 minutes ago, Carey said:

Eventually he'll lose a game that he's involved in throughout its entirety, it feels like the media is overrating the guy.  Which is fair, but San Francisco is a very complete team

Yes.  Would Purdy have that record if he was on another team?  Probably not.  I'm not picking on the guy but I feel like the media is portraying him as the next Tom Brady.

3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yes.  Would Purdy have that record if he was on another team?  Probably not.  I'm not picking on the guy but I feel like the media is portraying him as the next Tom Brady.

True. Put him on the Giants with their atrocious offensive line and see how good he is. 

10 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

True. Put him on the Giants with their atrocious offensive line and see how good he is. 

He'd probably be dead just from taking the shots Jones took from his current SF teammates...

The Bosa one was stupid, but the Hargraves one was a good example of what's been going on all year. Hargraves just runs through the blocking and hits Jones before he even has a chance to plant his foot and throw. 

19 hours ago, Carey said:

While IDK about her attendance, that may be a fair reason, but secondary at best.  For instance, Pittsburgh isn't a hub for the rich & famous either.  However, TS has been there several times, including back to back nights this summer where the attendance crushed any Steelers game in that venue's 22-year history.

Well, she probably likes Iron City Beer.

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, meowmommy said:

The Giants may not win another game this year, but watching the Cowbungs get their Dallasses thoroughly kicked will never not be gleefully enjoyable.

Yup.  I don't like the 49ers, but watching them ruin Jerry Jones's night sparks great joy.

• Like 4

It'll be ironic if the Swift fans come out against turf due to the Kelce injury since a large part of the reason a stadium would have turf would be so that they can host a Taylor Swift concert one week and a Chiefs' game the following week.

• Like 1

That INT by the Raider at the end wasn’t PI?  Ok.

I wonder what the median age of people watching the Packers drive under the two minute warning who were going “tick, tick tick tick, tick tick” in their head.

I think that Aaron Rodgers is a deeply closeted gay man who is generally an asshole and who is also really, really angry about being closeted and that that rage has eaten away at him over the years, has started shooting out of him in other ways (the drugs, the anti-science/anti-vax bullshit, his general air of entitlement, etc.), and has created the hellbeast we now see before us.  I might have had some compassion for the closeted part in the past (one of my uncles was basically forced back into the closet by my grandparents and was a very angry and greedy man the rest of his life), but, at a certain point, you make the choices you make and have to own them.  I do think the closet kills, even if it's a slow death by a thousand cuts, because there's no way to experience that certain type of joy that comes with being able to live your life as you truly are.  Rodgers can't or won't do that, so here we are.

I'll admit I laughed at this statistic but then I sort of felt bad for New York.

The reason is that a decision to move in the opposite direction instead of the correct one that has brought success is sad.  Nothing against Bill Belichick, and maybe it's BS, but the 8 time champion leaving the Patriots to go the NFC isn't as great as it once was.  BTW, that story, which isn't that new, was something I saw from SI on my phone (just a headline)

Brian Daboll getting fired in favor of Belichick just in time to coach Caleb Williams makes no second at all, period.  If someone else was the HC, then I could see that move simultaneous of bring in Daboll as an OC.  But that's a definite no way in hell for me

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Aaron Rodgers just could have remained a beloved guy.  Now?  Fuck that asshole.

He can believe whatever he wants to believe but when he actively tries to dissuade people from getting vaccines because he knows things and has done his own research then he needs to STFU.  And he calls Pfizer a corrupt company?  Does he know anything about Johnson & Johnson?  He says he is employed by the Jets.  Who are owned by the owners of Johnson & Johnson.    He just thinks he is so clever with his little word plays.  Just like when he led everyone to believe he was vaccinated by saying he was immunized.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3