Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I knew of McAfee when he played in college.  He played for West Virginia, my team, so I knew who he was when he was drafted by the Colts.  I lost track of him until I kept hearing about this guy Pat McAfee who had a radio show and I thought that can't be him.  But yep it was him.  And then he got the deal with ESPN and here I am thinking I just don't get his appeal.  He gives me Joe Rogan vibes and that is not a good thing. I don't listen or watch McAfee but I have read enough to know he is a guy who while more than happy to showcase assholes and laugh with the assholes will say hey I'm not an asshole. 

• Like 7
(edited)

Actually some of the best analysts are on YouTube Podcasts.  Shannon Sharpe & Ocho Cincho.  Tom Grossi.  Rich Eisen.  PFT.  Tim Donnelly (exclusively Panthers).  Steelers Dad.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

Actually some of the best analysts are on YouTube Podcasts.  Shannon Sharpe & Ocho Cincho.  Tom Grossi.  Rich Eisen.  PFT.  Tim Donnelly (exclusively Panthers).  Steelers Dad.

Oh is that where Shannon Sharpe ended up? I only watched Undisputed to see him smack down Bayless. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I'm sure you all have heard that one of Michael Strahan's daughters recently went through treatment for brain cancer.  Interview with Isabella & Michael.

He was absent from hosting on Fox NFL a while back and they couldn't say why, but his daughter wants to share her story now in order to help others.  She seems to be doing pretty well, but still has more treatment in the near future.  I wish her well.   

Edited by Chit Chat
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 9
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Oh is that where Shannon Sharpe ended up? I only watched Undisputed to see him smack down Bayless. 

He's also on First Take a couple days a week.  But I find his & Ocho's 'Nightcap' podcast fun, intelligent,  informative. 

• Like 4

40mph winds in Buffalo on Sun, with a chance for a foot of snow.  There were talks of moving that game to Cleveland, but I think they would've done that by now.

• Like 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

-10 for Kansas city game. -20 to 30 wind chill

5 hours ago, roamyn said:

40mph winds in Buffalo on Sun, with a chance for a foot of snow.  There were talks of moving that game to Cleveland, but I think they would've done that by now.

Now, that's what I called NFL Playoff Football weather. And it looks like fun too.

And what is the point of possibly moving the Playoff game to Cleveland anyway? If its cold & windy with snow in Buffalo, then its a good chance that Cleveland has similar weather. Thankfully, that very stupid idea is not happening & it shouldn't even been brought up at all in the first place.

Since the KC game is going to be very very cold at kickoff, Is Taylor Swift willing to suck it up & be there to support her man & the Chiefs? Just her probable presence at the game will make me want to see the Chiefs lose even more tonight.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

I think that would be more dangerous at this point. If they moved the game, first off both teams would have to get to Cleveland. And the fans will follow them. So now you have 1000's of a fans driving down the 90 where they otherwise wouldn't have been in a blizzard. I can see the game getting moved to Monday.

Edited by blueray
  • Like 4

Why couldn’t they have switched the games today so the Chiefs game isn’t played in the frigid night? Daytime temps may have made a slight difference. I read the players get heated benches but the fans probably have to sit on electric heating pads or something. How awful.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, twoods said:

Why couldn’t they have switched the games today so the Chiefs game isn’t played in the frigid night? Daytime temps may have made a slight difference. I read the players get heated benches but the fans probably have to sit on electric heating pads or something. How awful.

Fond memories of the Ice Bowl, or if you need something more recent, Tom Coughlin almost losing his face at the same frozen tundra as the Giants upset Brett Favre and GB on the way to the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Magog said:

Since the KC game is going to be very very cold at kickoff, Is Taylor Swift willing to suck it up & be there to support her man & the Chiefs?

Isn't she just going to be ensconced in a heated luxury box?

• Like 6
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

-10 for Kansas city game. -20 to 30 wind chill

And The Weather Channel showed people in cars lined up since before midnight to get into the parking lot to tailgate...

GF is in KC this weekend visiting her son and his family - it's her grandson's second birthday. Their plans have changed several times to avoid having to go out in this weather.

1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

Tom Coughlin almost losing his face

I remember that! It was crazy!

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, twoods said:

Because the league sucks at making decent decisions.  Yet 7 years ago they moved up Kansas City/Pittsburgh game with much more inferior weather

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Fond memories of the Ice Bowl, or if you need something more recent, Tom Coughlin almost losing his face at the same frozen tundra as the Giants upset Brett Favre and GB on the way to the Super Bowl.

Isn't she just going to be ensconced in a heated luxury box?

Yes, Taytay and Mama Kelce will be just fine. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, roamyn said:

They just moved it to Monday. It's completely unreasonable to play on Sunday.

11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The Weather Channel said they're basically selling tickets at rock bottom prices. 

There is zero chance I would go to that game even if I had tickets already paid for. I have boots that would actually keep my feet warm, but everything else I'm ill equipped to survive in that kind of weather. 

• Like 6
23 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:
8 hours ago, roamyn said:

😒 Yay.

I'm sure that Bills Mafia would of been out there in full force in this type of weather. Its in their nature. 

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

They just moved it to Monday. It's completely unreasonable to play on Sunday

I think tonight's game is more dangerous.   Of course driving to Orchard Park has to be taken into consideration, but -20/-30 is dangerous for hypothermia and frost bite.  And while on the field the players can't wear balaclava or ski masks.

6 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I think tonight's game is more dangerous.   Of course driving to Orchard Park has to be taken into consideration, but -20/-30 is dangerous for hypothermia and frost bite.  And while on the field the players can't wear balaclava or ski masks.

Tonight's game is definitely more dangerous.  I don't know what the conditions are on Sunday afternoon, but I also don't know if the players are complaining to where they'll take their life concerns to court.  I'd guess they'd never do that, but then they might after the fact.

Snow I admire.  Cold isn't good but I'd prepare to the best of my ability.  Winds (with cold and/or snow)?  That is a hard pass for me

• Like 3
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

If the snowfall is worse than expected then aren't they going to have issues with people getting to the stadium on Monday?

I hope so too, but I would not be surprised if they kept Baltimore on Saturday.  Over the past decade and a half, the league loved to give the top seed that extra rest benefit.  I think 2 of the times they didn't were when New England was the second seed in ('13 & '15 when Denver played on Sunday).

I believe it's stated somewhere that teams have to get a full 5 days rest.  That's why it's been 4 vs 5.  You probably couldn't have Houston/Cleveland on Monday since it's unlikely that Pittsburgh or Miami win, whereas in the NFC it's possible Los Angeles will win.  Same Green Bay, but probably not.

There would be fake sympathy from the NFL stating that this was a tough call due to extreme conditions, and the fact that it's not a Monday NIGHT game.  Just a Monday game in the afternoon.

Finally, I'd prefer the league to announce with more effort that we are closing monitoring the situation & gathering more info (like they do when there's someone in the NFL that's about to get into trouble after getting into trouble off the field).  Just say it's possible for a time change instead of, "We have no plans to move the game & plan to play it as scheduled."

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

If the snowfall is worse than expected then aren't they going to have issues with people getting to the stadium on Monday?

The big issue is that the state has a a full travel ban for Erie county starting later tonight. So yeah, if the weather sucks into Monday, that could be a problem.  But as long as it isn’t full blizzard, the people in that area are prepared to drive in post blizzard conditions 

• Like 4

The following, while courtesy of Tim Graham, came up in my timeline via Alex Kozora.  The latter has connections to the Steelers

• Useful 2
59 minutes ago, Carey said:

The following, while courtesy of Tim Graham, came up in my timeline via Alex Kozora.  The latter has connections to the Steelers

If that happens there is no way the winner plays on Saturday.  But knowing the NFL they would do just that.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I don't think the Ice Bowl is a fair comparison to more recent frigid games, because the players then didn't have anything near the equipment/gear they have now.  Even the officials had to go to a local store in Green Bay before the game to buy long underwear, gloves, earmuffs.  Forecasting the weather is better now too; the temperature was predicted to be about 5 degrees that day in 1967, but it was 20 degrees colder than that.  

While watching the Giants beat the Packers in 2008 I wondered why no one told Tom Coughlin about smearing his face with Vaseline.  And I thought how old Favre looked.  It was his last game as a Packer. 

2 minutes ago, Calvada said:

And I thought how old Favre looked.  It was his last game as a Packer.

Corey Webster ended his Green Bay career (and would you believe that Corey signed a one-day contract *in 2023* just so he could retire as a Giant?) and when he did, I jumped up and down in my living room like a lunatic.

• Like 1

Houston is for real. Two pick sixes in a row for Flacco.  Yikes.

Just now, baldryanr said:

Flacco seems to have lost his playoff mojo.

Yesterday my coworker brought up the fact Flacco sometimes throws interceptions at very bad times.  And it appears he has not lost that trait.

• Like 1

Still happy for him to lead this team to the playoffs after they seemed to be out of luck with all the injuries. 

Houston showing everyone that teams can do a complete 180 with good decision making( coaching, players, etc). Especially the coach, and keep panning on him NBC because I ain’t complaining.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1

I'm happy for him as well.  I probably would've been happier if I took Houston to cover instead of Cleveland & the Points.  Though I so forgot who was favored by 1.5 points.  That probably is a money line move when the spread is that close.

I know that roamyn probably isn't happy, and for once I actually admired Cleveland.  First time I admired all 3 teams in the division.  Helps when you have a guy like Flacco whose boring reputation is a good thing.  No drama, nothing on or off the field.  Family man.  Things didn't work out it seems, but they got to this point after nearly a half dozen QB's in one season.

I'll probably have to respect those that'll say the Browns would've lost to Baltimore anyway, but I might disagree there.  Houston is like an NFC team.  No experience facing Lamar Jackson like the Browns, Bengals, and Steelers have.  So getting rid of one of the only teams that could knock off the Ravens is huge.  Pittsburgh is the other, but, like Miami, I think their season ends by Tuesday.  Even though they did sweep the AFC North champions, it's not 2008.  At best, they'd keep it close but Tucker wins it for them.

Despite that, based on playoff success & experience, while they might not stop Jackson, I don't know if anyone from Baltimore can deal with Allen unless Josh goes down.  KC does have a great defense, which might be enough if Mahomes & Kelce improve a little.

So historically speaking, I'd have taken the Steelers or Browns to beat the Ravens, but realistically speaking, I'd go with Kansas City or Buffalo.  In the NFC, just the Rams, and that's it

10 minutes ago, twoods said:

Still happy for him to lead this team to the playoffs after they seemed to be out of luck with all the injuries. 

Houston showing everyone that teams can do a complete 180 with good decision making( coaching, players, etc). Especially the coach, and keep panning on him NBC because I ain’t complaining.

Hated Flacco as a Raven but it was a feel good story for him with the Browns.  Even though I can't ever root for Browns.

Happy for Houston.  After everything with Watson it's good to see them get a coach and QB that maybe looks to be there for a long time.

• Like 5
Just now, mojoween said:

Scheduling a Monday night wildcard game is unfair to either Tampa or Philly.  Whose dumb idea was that?

Might be someone whose name either rhymes with Dodger Woodell or Barry Stones

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Are we sure C.J. Stroud is a rookie?

If we had to lose to someone, I'm glad it was CJ.

I knew we weren't gonna win this game, the injuries kept piling up more and more, and when Ward went down during practice this week, I figured CJ would torch us.

But thank you Flacco for bringing back shades of the Kardiac Kids.  It's been one he'll of a ride this year.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

So did that guy on the field with Tony and Rodney make sure to let them know that Taylor is in the building just to subtly let Tony know that he’s dumb?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
12 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It's an afternoon game. 

Tampa/Buccs is an 8:00 game.  Bills/Squealers is a 4:30 game.

Just now, AimingforYoko said:

The rescheduled Pitt-Buffalo game is in the afternoon. The Philly-Tampa game is in the evening.

We posted same time.  LOL

There something so...karmically right about the Texans destroying the Browns.  Thank you, Texans, for denying your former albatross, Deshaun Watson, the chance to receive a SB ring.  At least this year.

How did I not know until about twenty minutes ago that the coldest NFL game ever played when wind chill is factored in was in Cincinnati?  That...isn't what I would've expected.  The Freezer Bowl in 1982 saw the temperature reach -59ºF.  Haaaaaaard pass on that, although I was three at the time and still lived in Cincinnati, so I guess I did experience that exact day's wintry delights.  I have no memory of it and am not inclined to search the recesses of my brain for it.

Aaaaaaanyway, all that's to say: thank you, Texans, and go Dolphins!

• Like 5

If there was any Karma, it was how the Browns players treated the Terrible Towel.  I think Houston beating Cleveland was more do to one team being better while the other was just happy to be there.

Either way, no "Karma" here.  After all, the guy who was traded from the Lonestar State to the Buckeye State was a non-story.  While I still think Baltimore will topple Houston, they're much better than in Week One.  It could be 76-0 or 28-27, but both in favor of the Ravens.  Home game, trying to avenge 2019.  So much at stake.  And if football is scripted, I'd probably live to see a Harbaugh double dip