Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

If I had a nickel for every time the Chiefs complained bitterly about the refs correctly calling a Chiefs player for lining up offside invalidating a game swinging play, I would have two nickels. Which isn't that much, but it's weird that it happened twice.

I find it somewhat funny that they were pretty mature about the refs last week even though there were legit bad calls (that went against both teams) but he was so fired up this week about an obvious penalty. 

I get his frustration because the play that got called back was amazing and where the receiver lines up seems so small, but it is about as straightforward as it gets. 

• Like 2

With yet another QB going down with Justin Herbert's fractured finger, I realize that I lost track of what QBs are actually playing and healthy. So I went through and tracked the status of each team's intended #1 QB this season, to the best of my knowledge.

Healthy and playing as expected: 14

Mahomes, Josh Allen, Dak, Tua, Stafford, Russell Wilson, Lawrence, Purdy, Stroud, Hurts, Howell, Goff, Love, Mayfield

Starting QB missed games for injury but now currently healthy: 5

Fields, Ridder, Carr, Bryce Young, Murray

Starting QB injured longterm: 7

Rodgers, Cousins, Watson, Herbert, Burrow, Anthony Richardson, Daniel Jones

Starting QB injured shortterm: 3

Geno Smith, Pickett, Lamar Jackson

Starting QB healthy but benched: 3

Mac Jones, Tannehill, Garrappolo

Category unto itself: Zach Wilson

The QB churn seems unusually high but that might be a short memory on my part.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Fire 1

It’s pretty much going to be healthiest quarterbacks left have a chance to go to the SB. I also don’t remember the last time so many starters were injured, and don’t even recognize half of these backups, or backups of backups. 

Who would have thought that the 1-5 Broncos would only be one game out of the lead in their division? Wilson still looks iffy at times and will likely blow a few games, but that defense is legit. 

The Chiefs really do think that basic rules shouldn’t apply to them, having the gall to complain about calls that were called correctly. How dare you throw a flag! We WERE offsides but had a touchdown, so rules shouldn’t matter then. I hope they fall flat on their faces in the playoffs because I just can’t with them anymore. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 2
  • Applause 6

The only thing embarrassing about that one particular call is Andy Reid’s and Patrick Mahomes’s reactions. Oh also Toney for doing it in the first place.  Also also, the flag was thrown before Kelce even lateraled, so miss me with the officials ruining a fantastic play.

• Like 11
32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Oh also Toney for doing it in the first place.

You know, it's too bad the field doesn't have a bunch of distance markers (say every yard or so) that would help you figure out where to put your feet relative to the ball.  That sure would be handy to have.

• Like 2
  • LOL 11
2 hours ago, 24k Kate said:
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

OMG.  Fuuuuuuuuuuck Dallas.

This. To infinity.

Yes.  I feel like this should be said every week.  Even during the offseason.  

8 hours ago, twoods said:

The Chiefs really do think that basic rules shouldn’t apply to them, having the gall to complain about calls that were called correctly.

I have been saying KC is the new NE and here we are.  

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

The only thing embarrassing about that one particular call is Andy Reid’s and Patrick Mahomes’s reactions.

I have seen players and coaches react better to blatant bad calls.  This was not a bad call.  In a year of embarrassingly bad calls this wasn't one of them.

Oh also Toney for doing it in the first place.  

I feel like this guy is going to be hated for awhile. And I do feel bad for him.  He fucked up and he knows he fucked up.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Mahomes, Josh Allen, Dak, Tua, Stafford, Russell Wilson, Lawrence, Purdy, Stroud, Hurts, Howell, Goff, Love, Mayfield

CJ Stroud went into the concussion protocol yesterday, so who knows.

The only thing embarrassing about that one particular call is Andy Reid’s and Patrick Mahomes’s reactions. Oh also Toney for doing it in the first place.  

I honestly thought, before I read the post-game whining, that Patrick was furious at Toney for making such a boneheaded mistake.  How silly of me.  Of course they're going to blame the refs for their own errors.

• Like 2

The Cowboys won last night & that really sucked because its going to be endless talk about, "Who's going to win the NFC East?" & "Will the Cowboys get to the Super Bowl this season?" till the end of the season. 😒

Also, Jerry Jones being very happy about the win so that really irritates me. I don't know why ESPN keeps propping him up & keep on hanging on his every word week after week. Its basically like they're absolute shills for this jerk & his idiot son. I can't stomach 2 weeks before the Super Bowl tolerating that if the Cowboys somehow get to the big game.

Overall, the Cowboys are heading for the playoffs (sadly). But, I still have absolute confidence that they're going to mess it up in the clutch like they always do.

As for tonight's game, since Aaron Rodgers keeps on praising Jordan Love of the Packers a lot week after week, is he going to be at the Packers - Giants game tonight to show his support? Its not like Aaron has anything better to do other than to run his big mouth all the time and doesn't know the concept of getting lost & staying lost.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I feel like this guy is going to be hated for awhile. And I do feel bad for him.  He fucked up and he knows he fucked up.

He is, unfortunately, exactly what he has looked like he is this year with Kansas City. I hope he's been saving his money from his rookie contract, because he's dangerously close to being released and then hanging around as a fringe player for other teams. He's got drops all throughout the season. He's missed games with injuries. And then he made that mistake last night.

He has not looked like a reliable player so far in his career. He is sometimes electric and exciting to watch, but reliable? Not even a little bit. 

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Magog said:

As for tonight's game, since Aaron Rodgers keeps on praising Jordan Love of the Packers a lot week after week, is he going to be at the Packers - Giants game tonight to show his support? Its not like Aaron has anything better to do other than to run his big mouth all the time and doesn't know the concept of getting lost & staying lost.

I'm sure Rodgers is busy getting ready for his weekly interview with Pat McAfee in which he will praise Zach Wilson's performance for the Jets yesterday while subtly taking credit for it in some way. 

This doubleheader is annoying.  No, I don’t need a split screen because the Titans are going to score.  The overlap between these four teams is because of gambling and fantasy, if people want to watch both games use a phone or tablet like a normal person.  The scorebug at the top can go away too.

• Like 3
Just now, Lamb18 said:

Yes!!!!! Thank you, Giants!

I know you don’t really mean this but I’ll take it 😀

Tommy Cutlets saved Saquon’s bacon.  You know that this means?  The Giants are one game out of the wildcard.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Now it's over!  Both teams that I predicted would cover ended up just simply winning outright.

Meanwhile, I jumped the gun on San Francisco, but they are now officially the first of 14 teams into the postseason for Season 104.  Which was probably going to happen anyway though maybe Philly or Dallas could've gotten there first

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

if people want to watch both games use a phone or tablet like a normal person

YTTV offers a split screen for a variety of games. Both on the screen at the same time, but you can use the arrows on the remote to select one to watch full screen then easily switch back. I've never really used it, but it is handy for some people.

Hubby and I were watching something else.  Turned on Parckers/Giants just in time to see Saquon run up the middle, then fumble it away on the next play.

We turned it to the Titans/Dolphins just to see the Titans fumble it away back to back. 

We looked at each other and said "maybe we shouldn't watch football anymore".

But those were both wild endings. 

Tommy Devito getting it done on league minimum, while their $40M  man, who can't seem to win, sits at home.

And Joe Barry can't run a defense even if he had Myles Garrett, all three Watts, Mean Joe Green, Lawrence Taylor, Dick Butkus, the Legion of Boom and the Steel Curtain all on his defensive team.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

It is funny how the New York fan-base has embraced one brown-haired white guy while trying to run the other brown-haired white guy out of town.

Is it because Tommy seems fun while Daniel is Eli Manning’s more stoic younger brother?  Tommy makes the “mwah” gesture and has an agent who looks like he stepped off the set of “Goodfellas”?  Daniel was drafted at six which no one but the Giants executives agreed with, while Tommy is making the most of his undrafted status (poor Tyrod)?  Daniel presumably lives in a home somewhere, while Tommy goes home to his chicken cutlets and bed made by his mom?  Tommy is a Jersey kid who went to school in New York (before one year at Illinois) and Daniel went to … *gasp* … Duke (even though as far as I know Duke football doesn’t have the same feelings as Duke hoops).  Whatever it is, Tommy is having fun and the Giants have won three in a row.

• Like 1

I hated the split screen - I wanted to see one game, not both. If I had wanted to watch the other game, I would have changed channels.  

8 hours ago, roamyn said:

And Joe Barry can't run a defense even if he had Myles Garrett, all three Watts, Mean Joe Green, Lawrence Taylor, Dick Butkus, the Legion of Boom and the Steel Curtain all on his defensive team.

Totally agree on Barry - I really wish Jim Leonhard had taken the DC job when it was offered to him a couple years ago. 

it’s an up and down year for the Pack, with Love and the young receivers. All teams deal with injuries, but I can’t help but wonder how some of these games would be if the Pack had their #1 LT, #1 RB, #1 WR (consistently), and their #1 CB.  Not asking for sympathy (because I know I won’t get it -LOL!) but I do think about this.  Of course, over half the teams are in this position, pondering what-ifs. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Is it because Tommy seems fun while Daniel is Eli Manning’s more stoic younger brother?

The embracement of DeVito is predictable:

• Undrafted kid forced into starter role (Everybody loves an underdog story. Even me, who is underdog averse, likes this one.)
  • Wins 3 of his first 4 starts (Winning is winning)
  • Local kid with the whole, "Shouldn't be starting but has been thrust into the role, but wait! He still lives with his parents and eats his mom's cutlets for dinner."  (Relatable)
  • Italian American schtick, which is right up our alley. And when I say up OUR alley, I mean Northern New Jersey Giants fans such as myself who have Italian ancestors. Even if you're not of Italian heritage, you have a connection to it with the food and your friends. (Again, relatable)
  • The TEAM, starting with Saquon, clearly likes him and is much more enjoyable to watch seeing them having fun. (Winning is fun)
  • NOBODY in sports is more popular than the backup QB. Everybody loves that guy. And if that guy ends up going 3-1 in his first four starts (as opposed to let's say... Tim Boyle), well then, we have a lot of fans feeling justified in their love of anybody but Daniel Jones.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Count me in as someone who admires Tommy DeVito too.  Pretty much for all the reasons mentioned by JTMacc99.  Is this sustainable?  I'd say no if I had to guess.  However, the optimism that the answer is yes is there.

It trends more toward Brock Purdy and away from someone like Duck Hodges.  It helps to have the support of the team, and more important, it helps to have an offensive coach (along with the leadership of Barkley).

Right now, as mentioned, they're winning.  If they continue to do so, then they might be playoff bound.  Too bad there are 4 divisions per conference instead of 3, but there is an extra spot for the 4th time in as many years which sucks for whoever ends up in 2nd place.  If all goes well, then that's great.

They still need to draft a QB, but I suppose they can keep the guy on the roster for 2024, since he's complimentary.  Too bad for Taylor, but either he'll end up somewhere or a team somewhere else will struggle and fall down below the Earth after trying & failing to win with what they think is a great QB situation

• Like 2

Weekly power rankings here. I got a chuckle at the MVP rankings. Starts with the actual top three, then adds Trent Williams (apparently they are reading my posts here, which is flattering), and then DeVito and Flacco. 😂 

IMG_3427.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm not even a Giants fan (although I will root for them unless they are playing a team I like) and I'm rooting for Tommy DeVito.  Agree with all the reasons @JTMacc99 listed and would like to add with all the prima donnas we have in this league it's nice to see this kid taking his shot and doing pretty good. 

• Like 5
37 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I'm not even a Giants fan (although I will root for them unless they are playing a team I like) and I'm rooting for Tommy DeVito.  Agree with all the reasons @JTMacc99 listed and would like to add with all the prima donnas we have in this league it's nice to see this kid taking his shot and doing pretty good. 

Same, exact same. Not a Giants fan but I love fun, feel good stories like this.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Weekly power rankings here. I got a chuckle at the MVP rankings. Starts with the actual top three, then adds Trent Williams (apparently they are reading my posts here, which is flattering), and then DeVito and Flacco. 😂 

IMG_3427.jpeg

Accurate for the colts, as a fan

I expect they'd lose in the playoffs but it has still been a fun season. 

Outside the browns game being stolen 

16 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

At this point I feel like remaining starting QBs should be wrapped in bubble wrap.

I counted in the afc if stroud can't play this week due to concussion only 6 week one starters of 16 playing this week in afc

Tua

Wilson

Mahommes

Jackson

Lawrence 

Josh allen

5 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I counted in the afc if stroud can't play this week due to concussion only 6 week one starters of 16 playing this week in afc

Tua

Wilson

Mahommes

Jackson

Lawrence 

Josh allen

And Tua and Jackson have a history of getting hurt.

46 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Same, exact same. Not a Giants fan but I love fun, feel good stories like this.

I just went off to see if I could find Tommy DeVito draft prospect write ups.  I found a pretty thorough one from PFN.  In there was this as a strength:

• Gutsy performer who will take a hit and pop back up. Has visibly positive emotional responses that can be infectious.

Heh. His positive energy has definitely been infectious, both for his teammates and for me.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The embracement of DeVito is predictable:

• Undrafted kid forced into starter role (Everybody loves an underdog story. Even me, who is underdog averse, likes this one.)
  • Wins 3 of his first 4 starts (Winning is winning)
  • Local kid with the whole, "Shouldn't be starting but has been thrust into the role, but wait! He still lives with his parents and eats his mom's cutlets for dinner."  (Relatable)
  • Italian American schtick, which is right up our alley. And when I say up OUR alley, I mean Northern New Jersey Giants fans such as myself who have Italian ancestors. Even if you're not of Italian heritage, you have a connection to it with the food and your friends. (Again, relatable)
  • The TEAM, starting with Saquon, clearly likes him and is much more enjoyable to watch seeing them having fun. (Winning is fun)
  • NOBODY in sports is more popular than the backup QB. Everybody loves that guy. And if that guy ends up going 3-1 in his first four starts (as opposed to let's say... Tim Boyle), well then, we have a lot of fans feeling justified in their love of anybody but Daniel Jones.

I'll also add that he's hot (in a very Jersey way).  That never hurts.  I would never willingly root for the Giants for reasons well known to them, but I'll happily root for hot if the Giants play one of the teams I truly, truly despise.

• LOL 4
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

This doubleheader is annoying.  No, I don’t need a split screen because the Titans are going to score.  The overlap between these four teams is because of gambling and fantasy, if people want to watch both games use a phone or tablet like a normal person.  The scorebug at the top can go away too.

Since none of the 4 teams were my team and my only interest, other than just watching football, was that the Dolphins lose, I liked the split screen and the score of the other game also being shown when they concentrated on one game.  I would have been pissed if it was my team, but otherwise, I liked it.

And about penalties when you are standing perfectly still?  One of my pet peeves.  Not against the rule or the refs, but... dammit, you are standing still!  Try to get that part right!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

IMG_3427.jpeg

Shouldn't Daniel Jones be in the 'Wacked by an Italian' section?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
21 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Shouldn't Daniel Jones be in the 'Wacked by an Italian' section?

Heh.  Not yet. If he continues to play pretty well but the Giants only get one more win to run out the season, I would say he's likely the Giants #2 QB going into next season. (Which would make him the starter week one, as it's unlikely Jones will be in great shape with his ACL by that point.)

On the other hand, if the Giants somehow manage to navigate their final four games (@ Saints, @ Eagles, Rams, Eagles) with some wins, especially against the Eagles... Conversations will need to be had.

But all logic and recent history makes it seem pretty unlikely that the Giants are all of the sudden capable of winning games against the Eagles.  THAT would be quite the feather in Tommy Cutlets hat.

6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I don’t know what Super Bowl LXI is (59? 61?) but didn’t we just HAVE  a Super Bowl in Los Angeles?

Where did you see that?  I only see that the next three (58-60, or LVIII, LIX, and LX) are in Las Vegas, New Orleans, and San Francisco.  I would be pretty surprised if they went from San Francisco right back to LA the next year.

WOW.

I mean, I do think that stadium and location is an ideal setting for Super Bowls, but I would think they'd send one back to Florida, or really anywhere, before going back there again so quickly.

ETA:

Ahh... Upon further research and seeing a different outlet reporting that Super Bowl 61 will indeed go back to SoFi stadium just five years after the last one, I think I get it.

Not only is it a good place for the game, Super Bowl LXI will be the 60th anniversary of Super Bowl I (Packers vs Chiefs), which was held in Los Angeles

In no way, shape, or form do I think it's a bad idea that they'd return to SoFi Stadium so far either.  However, I don't think it's a great idea either.  For one, Tampa Bay sorta got unlucky when they last hosted, and they were not granted an immediate make up date or one soon enough.

I understand not pushing over areas back, but they have pushed other areas back in the past (for other reason).  Of course, I don't know if they're voting on Super Bowl LXII and other future sights.

It is what it is.  I've often thought Florida was the place to be, and they Super Dome in New Orleans is never not a tremendous spot for the big game

• Like 2