Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Tom Brady is about to go down tonight & hopefully for the last time. He really needs to GTFOH already. He has worn out his welcome a long long time ago.

Sadly, the Cowboys will still be around next weekend. Now, I have to root for the 49ers & their idiot coach. 

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Court said:

I really hope Gage is ok. 

Me too.

At least it was the cart and not an ambulance.  Although he will probably be taken directly to the hospital.

But another MNF and another scary injury.

😒

Final score: Dallas 31 - Tampa Bay - 14. Yay.

I don’t see Dallas beating the 49ers but what do I know? 

You never know. They might actually find a way to win that game. Hopefully, that will not happen. Seeing Jerry Jones being happy tonight is vomit-inducing. I don't need another repeat of that.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

I'm not a Cowboys fan, but for people wanting to see the Niners fall, Dallas is a better bet than Tampa.  Nobody was betting on Tampa to knock off San Francisco when the team is run by a man named Todd Bowles

• Like 1

I might get burned saying this, but I'm not sure Tom Brady is done with the NFL. Maybe the Bucs might want to move on (but that would be stupid of them) but I can't see Brady retiring. He had one bad year but not because his skills had noticeably deteriorated- the issues appeared to be either beyond his control (a bad offensive line) or in the mental aspect of the game (all those tantrums and not being on the same page as his receivers).

Brady could easily go for another year and I expect him too. He hasn't fallen to the depths of how Brett Favre or Peyton Manning looked in their final years and he's too much of a competitor to hang it up while he believes he can still grace a NFL field.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

In WC weekend I feel like only the Jaguars/Chargers game will go into the lore, and we had to have Al Michaels sleepwalking through:

a) an epic comeback

b) an epic chokejob

Still salty about that.

ICYMI

one-of-the-biggest-comebacks-in-nfl-playoff-history-and-al-michaels-and-tony-dungy-sounded-asleep-or-possibly-dead-the-entire-time

image.thumb.png.df9be672a340413ba256e7690e8a1098.png

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, twoods said:

Let’s hope that Brady retires after this debacle. Then I can go back to not hating the Bucs so much.

I agree-- but even if he does not, having heard that Dallas won last night, I'm still happy to have a break from him for a little while.

• Like 3

Only time will tell whether this is if for Tom Brady or not.  If he did step away, then he lost everything for nothing.  The best ending would've been him leaving after that Super Bowl win in 2021.  I think if that had happened in the second year, then that would've been it.

I think he's definitely leaving Tampa Bay for sure.  He would've done so last year but he was under contract so he had to survive this year.  Vegas could be interesting, and really the best bet on where he'd play next

7 hours ago

I might get burned saying this, but I'm not sure Tom Brady is done with the NFL. 

I don't think he is, but I doubt he'll be back with the Bucs, and we're okay with that.  We're tired of all of the hype that surrounds him.  It's such a distraction.  Thanks to Tom for what he did for the Bucs, but we won't be mad if he moves on.  

I don't mention it much here, because I know I'll get eviscerated, but I'm a Cowboys fan. Born and raised in Texas, so it's been ingrained since birth (but I also root for KC and I like the Bills this year and I hate Jerry Jones). So I was pretty happy last night, but I think this is it for them. Dallas has too many issues to get past San Francisco next weekend. But it's nice to get out of the first round for a change and to do it at the expense of Tom Brady.

I do hope Russell Gage is okay, that looked scary. 

And hopefully Brett Maher has made it back to Dallas after being forced to walk home and think about what he did. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

“Up next on SportsCenter All Night - Tom Brady takes on America’s Team.”

Shut. The fuck. Up. With that bullshit.  

I KNOW.   EVERYTHING post game was "What's next for Tom Brady?"   Who the hell cares?   We got teams still playing THIS YEAR.   How about we talk about how Dallas played DESPITE the bad start and the FOUR missed PATs?   Or how about we discuss next week's match ups.

I went into the game thinking the Cowboys would lose.   So pleasantly surprised.   I plan on maintaining that attitude next week.   It seems to be a winning formula (along with the flag and wearing Dak's jersey).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I wouldn't rule out New England.  That has also been brought up (and I thought about it before then though not necessarily before anyone else, just before it was mentioned on television).

BTW, ITA about the annoyance of hearing about TB12's plans.  After February 12 that's fine.  Even if it's mentioned a ton from January 31st - February 4th that's no big deal.

I remember being very ticked off last year when it hijacked the playoffs.  I don't know how it was okay to talk about that nonsense right before the big games.  The focus was on those teams & players.  I already seen way more than enough over the past quarter century within a sport that's been around for over a century

• Applause 3
28 minutes ago, Carey said:

Only time will tell whether this is if for Tom Brady or not.  If he did step away, then he lost everything for nothing. 

Not that I know what goes on in Tom Brady's mind but whether he won a SB or not this year I would still think he lost everything for nothing.  IMO he placed football (and his ego) above his family and it cost him.

29 minutes ago, emma675 said:

And hopefully Brett Maher has made it back to Dallas after being forced to walk home and think about what he did.

Yesterday was the anniversary of the Pittsburgh/Indy playoff game where MIke Vanderjagt of the Colts missed a game tying FG with 18 seconds left. Kickers are extremely important in playoff games.

20 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I KNOW.   EVERYTHING post game was "What's next for Tom Brady?"   Who the hell cares?   We got teams still playing THIS YEAR.   How about we talk about how Dallas played DESPITE the bad start and the FOUR missed PATs?   Or how about we discuss next week's match ups.

I don't think the media realizes very few people want to keep hearing about Tom Brady.  As my fellow poster @ChitChatsays even Bucs fans are over him.

16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Rumors are tenn, Vegas and San Fran. Though no idea why 49ers would want him. They have tom brady at half his age in Purdy.  

If SF gets him they are stupid because Purdy has been looking really good.

As for anyone else getting him it would be short term solution to their QB needs.  He plays a year or two and then you would need a QB again.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Brady will be back but not with Tampa. 

Rumors are tenn, Vegas and San Fran. Though no idea why 49ers would want him. They have tom brady at half his age in Purdy.  

He really played awful last night. 

Niners are mentioned because that's basically coming home for him. 

I hope Vegas stays far away and signs Lamar instead. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I went into the game thinking the Cowboys would lose.   So pleasantly surprised.   I plan on maintaining that attitude next week.   It seems to be a winning formula (along with the flag and wearing Dak's jersey).

Appreciate you, but this time, it’s not Brady I was railing against.

And ESPN did that other crap again when Tampa punted before commercial - “up next, Dak Prescott”.  We fucking KNOW, chuckleheads.  We would not be watching football if we weren’t aware how PUNTING works

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Rumors are tenn, Vegas and San Fran.

So is he going to be competing with Aaron Rodgers at the Old Guy Auction for Desperate Franchises?

6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

What’s the difference between Gisele and the Bucs?

Gisele knew when to move on from Tom Brady.

Was it really worth blowing up the marriage and family, Tom?

9 hours ago, Carey said:

There's only one epic comeback.  It took place six years ago (minus 20 days)

Assuming you mean the epic choke job by Atlanta.

Just now, mojoween said:

And ESPN did that other crap again when Tampa punted before commercial - “up next, Dak Prescott”.  We fucking KNOW, chuckleheads.  

They've all taken to doing that.  As if we're too stupid to know who lines up on what side of the ball and when.  I'm only surprised they haven't yet put the games on delay so they can show us previews before the bump.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

It seems to be a winning formula (along with the flag and wearing Dak's jersey).

I hear a decent percentage of Cowboys fans who aren't sold on Dak and are quick to blame him for any problems. 

I think this just one of several good QBs who have committed the crime of not being awesome like Patrick Mahomes. As far as I'm concerned, Dak should be appreciated more than he is.

Ask the Jets fans how they think their season would have gone this year with Dak as their QB.

Yeah, I don't think San Francisco would be stupid for going for Brady.  As mentioned, it's him "coming home" added to the fact that it's still a small sample size with Brock.  The rookie is still in a great situation; I hardly think he'd be rolling if he played in New England or elsewhere.  TB12 may be slow, but he's still bigger than Purdy, and smarter too.

Is it the best move for the Niners?  I'd say no, but I just don't think it'll be a dumb move.

BTW, I almost forgot that Tom also hijacked the NCAA Tournament with the news of his return.  I wasn't as upset since I sorta didn't think he was done in the first place

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

IMO he placed football (and his ego) above his family and it cost him.

One could argue that any individual deserves to make their own employment choices (that is what we're talking about here, employment), and when they choose to retire from same. One could also argue that when a key member of a family unit, that individual right becomes lessened. He chose to make a family with one, arguably two women. He voluntarily walked away from the first one, and it appears stood by while the second one walked away from him. His children however, didn't get a vote, and that's the rub for me.  He put himself and his wants/needs over that of his wife by all indications, and it's not a far walk that he did the same to his kids.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

He chose to make a family with one, arguably two women. He voluntarily walked away from the first one, and it appears stood by while the second one walked away from him. His children however, didn't get a vote, and that's the rub for me.

How often do the kids get a say when their parents break up?

It's just sad, though, and this transcends any thoughts about Tom Brady himself, that someone would give up their spouse and their kids over a job, especially when that someone clearly does not need either the money or the recognition.  It's almost pathological.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

He chose to make a family with one, arguably two women. He voluntarily walked away from the first one, and it appears stood by while the second one walked away from him. 

To be fair, it's been reported that he and Bridget broke up well before she knew she was pregnant.  They made co-parenting work, and both seem happy with the arrangement.

2 hours ago, emma675 said:

don't mention it much here, because I know I'll get eviscerated, but I'm a Cowboys fan. 

No need to apologize for whatever team you're rooting for!  My Bucs get called  "scummy", among other things, but I just roll with it!  The Cowboys played better than we expected (congrats), and the Bucs stunk up the place!! MNF is a curse to us!! And I  agree with those who wish the media would shut up about Brady. Enough already!

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Carey said:

Is it the best move for the Niners?  I'd say no, but I just don't think it'll be a dumb move.

And if Purdy takes them to the SB and wins? And what kind of contract does Purdy have?  Was it just for this year? And most importantly I like the Niners and would really hate to have to always root against them if they get Brady.

6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

And if Purdy takes them to the SB and wins? And what kind of contract does Purdy have?  Was it just for this year? And most importantly I like the Niners and would really hate to have to always root against them if they get Brady.

7th round draft pick would get a three year deal. Purdy is under contract in 2024 for $985K and 2025 for $1.1M.

If he keeps this up, he's in line for quite the raise in 2026.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

If Brock Purdy wins the Super Bowl then that's a great problem (to have) and a good thing for San Francisco.  The 49ers will not have to pay him for at least 2 years.  He'll be on his rookie deal while they can spend money to get better & compete for another title or 2.

I think Purdy has already locked up his position.  They still have Trey Lance; that might be glorified ammo since they can get something significant if the Niners parted ways.

I think several people might dislike the Niners with or without Brady.  Especially Steelers fans who might not want to see SF tie/pass them again.  To which I don't know or think I can completely agree with that.  Pittsburgh wasn't too upset when New England tied them in 2019.  They've been in that spot in the past, they haven't been great themselves, and the Patriots have been the better team.  The Niners would totally run over the Steelers if they were to meet today.  They do meet in Pittsburgh this coming season BTW.  Not sure they'd actually rout them since off season stuff could prove otherwise, but right now I think the NFC West champions are a better team that I chose to win at Acrisure over the Steelers (or in a neutral site in a Super Bowl if that ever were to happen)

The ONLY reason SF goes for Brady is the storyline.   But storylines don't win games.   The 49ers would be IDIOTS to sign Brady.   They have Purdy who has been playing EXTREMELY well.   I don't think the guy picked in the 6th round is un upgrade.   They have Garrapolo STILL.   They also have Trey Lance.   What do they do with the guy who they gave up draft picks for, if they have Purdy AND Brady?   The one thing the 49ers do NOT need is a QB.   So there is no reason to pursue him.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

As much as I don't care about Tom Brady, I will say this:

My experience with divorce is that it's very, very rarely a happy marriage that comes to a sudden end because of one event.  If I were in a happy marriage and my spouse did something like sign up for a 6-7 month work contract that paid them a shit-ton of money, I wouldn't file for divorce.

Their divorce was almost certainly in the works before the whole "I retire... no wait, I unretire" thing.  If anything, it makes more sense that Brady retired hoping that it would help his relationship. And when he realized that they were still heading towards divorce, and he threw like 50 touchdown passes last year, he figured he might as well go back to work.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

As much as I don't care about Tom Brady, I will say this:

My experience with divorce is that it's very, very rarely a happy marriage that comes to a sudden end because of one event.  If I were in a happy marriage and my spouse did something like sign up for a 6-7 month work contract that paid them a shit-ton of money, I wouldn't file for divorce.

Their divorce was almost certainly in the works before the whole "I retire... no wait, I unretire" thing.  If anything, it makes more sense that Brady retired hoping that it would help his relationship. And when he realized that they were still heading towards divorce, and he threw like 50 touchdown passes last year, he figured he might as well go back to work.

I think it's the fact  he unretired that did it for Gisele.  We don't know if he told her and she said OK or if he told her I'm doing it and I don't care if you don't want me to.  My impression is he went back on his word to her which becomes it's not what you lied about but the fact that you lied situation.  

13 minutes ago, Carey said:

Especially Steelers fans who might not want to see SF tie/pass them again.  To which I don't know or think I can completely agree with that.  Pittsburgh wasn't too upset when New England tied them in 2019. 

I have a coworker who roots against SF for that very reason. He even rooted for Baltimore when they played them in SB XLVII. I don't care if other teams get as many Lombardi's as the Steelers. It doesn't make the Steelers accomplishments any less impressive. 

14 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The ONLY reason SF goes for Brady is the storyline.

I think it is the media that is pushing this.  I would not be surprised in the least if SF has zero interest in getting Brady.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The ONLY reason SF goes for Brady is the storyline.   But storylines don't win games.

Immediate edit since my joke might not have gone well.  Instead, I agree here, and I'll be sorta serious with an opinion. 

While storylines don't win games, they can gut wins from teams that otherwise might've won their game.  That's what I could be saying about Cincinnati & Buffalo.  The reasoning was how great the league did in the aftermath of what happened 15 days ago, but either forgot or decided to forgo any consolation for the Bengals.

The NFL has every right to "wanna see Buffalo win (out) or want to see Bills/Kansas City III" this month.  Actions within a game at the expense of someone else is not cool; it's not right.  Yes, the story if Buffalo gets to the AFC Title game & beyond will be great; it was slated to be great before the Hamlin situation.

It's very imperative that Cincinnati does everything it can to blow out Buffalo if they want to win on Sunday.  If it's close, then the result might not be in their hands or in the Bills hands.  However, right now, I think Buffalo might actually be doing the pummeling, and that may have still been the case (if not simply win) if the game was at Paycor.

Bengals/Chiefs is a nice "story" but they just had that last year.  It's still not Manning/Brady, and Allen/Mahomes is still tops.  Buffalo getting to Arizona would be great.  Not sure what they're thinking with Dallas still in the mix.  Though every remaining NFC team would provided a story for a Bills Super Bowl.  I'd have said the same thing if Tampa had won (and they were actually decent this year)

6 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

They have Garrapolo STILL.   They also have Trey Lance.   What do they do with the guy who they gave up draft picks for, if they have Purdy AND Brady?   The one thing the 49ers do NOT need is a QB.   So there is no reason to pursue him.

They don't have Garrapolo under contract for next year. They do have Trey Lance who counts a full $10M against the cap because he was such a high draft pick, and Purdy at $1M.  Both are under contract for both 2023 and 2024. In May 2024 they'll have to decide if they want to give Lance the 5th year option which will be a for like $30M most likely.

Given that the Niners were ready to hand over the team to Lance this year, and now they're getting damn good play from a different young QB, I think you're right. This team isn't going to invest serious money into a veteran QB next year. (They also have a whole bunch of expensive players at other positions next year, and adding a big old QB contract would be a problem.)

5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Oh this makes me happy:

Dak and Patrick are the "old" men are now.  THIS is why Brady needs to retire -- give someone else a feckin' chance.

The NFC is guaranteed to put a first time QB in the Super Bowl this year.  And as far as the AFC goes, that's quite the list of talent, isn't it?

• Like 2

I don't think Brady ever wanted to retire. He just didn't want to be with the Bucs this season and tried to force their hand when he retired. 

I don't see him retiring this season at all. I wish he would because I'm over him and I didn't like when Favre pulled this either. 

8 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

THIS is why Brady needs to retire -- give someone else a feckin' chance.

"Old" people shouldn't be put out to pasture if they can still do their job! I think Brady can keep playing if he can get a better offense around him. The Bucs had a lot of injuries,  and they just weren't that good this year.  The young guys are going to have to work really hard if they ever want to be a GOAT!  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, JTMacc99 said:

This team isn't going to invest serious money into a veteran QB next year.

Especially if you don't need him and it would most likely only be for a year or two.

4 minutes ago, Carey said:

The reasoning was how great the league did in the aftermath of what happened 15 days ago, but either forgot or decided to forgo any consolation for the Bengals.

We don't know what the AFC playoffs would like if Hamlin hadn't gotten hurt and the game had been played. If Buffalo had won and won the following week they would have had the number one seed and the bye. So if Buffalo doesn't make it to the SB I wouldn't blame fans for thinking they were robbed. And if Cincy had won they had a shot at the two seed.  So maybe their fans will think they were robbed.  As I said before KC benefitted the most.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

We don't know what the AFC playoffs would like if Hamlin hadn't gotten hurt and the game had been played. If Buffalo had won and won the following week they would have had the number one seed and the bye. So if Buffalo doesn't make it to the SB I wouldn't blame fans for thinking they were robbed. And if Cincy had won they had a shot at the two seed.  So maybe their fans will think they were robbed.  As I said before KC benefitted the most.

Kansas City may have benefitted the most, but the only way they would've fallen is if Buffalo had won outright.

The Bengals wouldn't have had a shot at the 2 seed (they would've at the time as well as the one seed); they would have been the 2 seed outright.  That's why I feel for the Bengals fans since for some reason their game against Buffalo didn't come down to a coin-flip or wasn't played at a neutral site.  However, they've been rather lucky in their past several games, especially on Sunday.  They are so banged up on the O-Line.  That's a bigger issue than game venue.  They nearly were taken out by Baltimore.  Twice.

Speaking of luck, Tampa was rather fortunate with Brady in that 2020 year.  They deserved the title, but outside of that year, Brady has been just more than okay, going back to 2018-2019.  Took a lot of great players.  IMO, New Orleans wins with a filled up Superdome this time 2 years ago