Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Well, the Rams were in LA for many, many years before they went to St. Louis and then came back again.  The Chargers, oh golly, I still automatically think of them as San Diego and probably most everyone else does, too.

For a decent amount of time the Rams weren't really in LA though, they played their home games in Anaheim from 1980-1994 - they're as much of an LA team as the Angels and Ducks.  Adjacent, but not really an LA team.  Back in ye olden days when both were in Southern California the Raiders were considered the real LA team.

• Like 1

I think the Rams and Chargers base will get bigger, now that younger kids have a team to follow. I attached myself to the Bills since there was no team here and they were good in the 90’s, but my kids are now watching both teams play and one likes the Rams and the other the Chargers. The Chargers are much more likable now that Rivers is gone, so even though I like the Rams I do root for the Chargers.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Well, we won't talk about the "New York" Giants and Jets...

I grew up in NJ a few miles from the Meadowlands. I’ve always thought of the Jets and Giants as NYC teams like the Rangers and Knicks. The Devils and the Nets were true NJ teams. 

You could tell the difference between NY and NJ teams because nobody cares about the NJ teams. Everyone cares about the football teams, so I feel like I’m fine with saying they are N.Y. even if they play in a stadium like 8 miles across the river from Manhattan. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I grew up in NJ a few miles from the Meadowlands. I’ve always thought of the Jets and Giants as NYC teams like the Rangers and Knicks.

Probably because they originally did play in NYC.  If they had originated in Jersey, I don't think they could have gotten away with calling themselves New York teams.

I wish I'd still been living in Southern Connecticut the years the Giants had to play in the Yale Bowl.  Even though the team totally sucked, as it did throughout the 70s.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

they play in a stadium like 8 miles across the river from Manhattan. 

Yeah, that's markedly different - especially with public transportation - than the L.A. scenario of having to drive down to Anaheim when the Rams moved.  The Raiders moved from Oakland and took up residence in the Coliseum, which could be enough of a pain to get to depending on where you live, but it's not a haul down to frakkin' Anaheim.  The OC (Orange County) is not L.A.  

Just now, DrSpaceman73 said:

They better not make neutral sight conference  championship games permanent. That is an awful f*** you slap in the face to hometown fans. 

Which means the nfl probably will love it.  

Their rationale will be something along the lines of March Madness, which is all held at neutral sites.  Wherever they can hold up the locals for the most money.

7 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Their rationale will be something along the lines of March Madness, which is all held at neutral sites.  Wherever they can hold up the locals for the most money.

March Madness starts out with 64 teams and has multiple games for four days to start.  If the NFL thinks that is comparable to the NFL playoffs they are wrong.

But yeah good old Roger loves to fuck with things that don't need fucked with.

• Like 1

Fun fact (well not so much fun for the Giants fans), there have been eighteen no time left on the clock field goal attempts of 60 or more yards in NFL history. 

Three of those were against the New York Giants.  In the other 15, the kickers went 2 for 15.

Against the Giants, 3 for 3. 🙄

9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

They better not make neutral sight conference  championship games permanent. That is an awful f*** you slap in the face to hometown fans. 

There is way too much tradition and history of championship games for anybody associated with the league to think it makes sense to move them to neutral sites in my opinion.  Not to mention it severely devalues the reward for getting the 1 seed. 

11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I agree with you does the NFL want fans at this game? Fans will have to fly to Atlanta get a hotel room and pay for a ticket. If you want a neutral site pick one in driving distance of the teams.

22 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

If you want a neutral site pick one in driving distance of the teams.

So when the Chargers play Buffalo...

And then do all the neutral sites have to be either domes or Southern sites?  Why can't Buffalo or Green Bay be a 'neutral site' if they're not involved?  There's gotta be a reason they don't, say, alternate between the AFC and NFC champion playing on their home field in the Super Bowl, that isn't just about the weather.  And that reason must be money. 

Won't even start about the 'neutral site' Super Bowl where Tampa won in Raymond James Stadium.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, voiceover said:
23 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Don't give them any ideas.

No kidding.  Stop speaking this shit into existence.

It was already too late before this "idea" was spoken or typed.

Real quick picks: San Francisco, Jacksonville, Buffalo, New York, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay.  I'll do the odds and O/U (Over/Under) later.

9 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

So when the Chargers play Buffalo...

And then do all the neutral sites have to be either domes or Southern sites?  Why can't Buffalo or Green Bay be a 'neutral site' if they're not involved?  There's gotta be a reason they don't, say, alternate between the AFC and NFC champion playing on their home field in the Super Bowl, that isn't just about the venue.  And that reason must be money. 

Won't even start about the 'neutral site' Super Bowl where Tampa won in Raymond James Stadium.

Of course SoFi last year, but Raymond James Stadium is sorta a bigger deal (though not to the benefit LA had last year IMO).

I do have my "complaints" about the neutral stuff, since it would totally shut out the AFC North, the AFC East save for Miami, and the originals (Packers & Bears).  I'll leave out the Giants since they actually had the Super Bowl at MetLife.

When if they go forward with this plan, that would be sad since certain teams would never get to host a conference title game ever again.  However, a couple of things: The league probably will not have someone hosting unless it's impossible to plan something at the last minute.  It shouldn't be a selection process like the Super Bowl.  If it is, the Chargers or Rams could luck out and get to "host" somebody.

TBH, the good thing is that you get to see the best of the best.  I don't need to see Mahomes & Allen struggling in bad weather.  Sure they can handle it, but no one wants to watch a total, low-scoring slugfest with a ton of ground game stuff and bad football.  The game has changes with the times of the game

Edited by Carey
The tags
6 minutes ago, Carey said:

Of course SoFi last year

Going back to the points made upthread -- is that stadium really a home game for either of the "home" teams?  That's why I mentioned Tampa and not LA.

7 minutes ago, Carey said:

I don't need to see Mahomes & Allen struggling in bad weather.  Sure they can handle it, but no one wants to watch a total, low-scoring slugfest with a ton of ground game stuff and bad football.  The game has changes with the times of the game

I don't want the Fog Bowl or the Ice Bowl, but some snow is nice.  Those boys can handle it, and as long as they're not stuck in a snowdrift, it's fun to watch.  Better than another yet-again squinting in the dark trying to watch a game in the Superdome.  That stadium has all the warmth and personality of a crypt.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
16 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Going back to the points made upthread -- is that stadium really a home game for either of the "home" teams?  That's why I mentioned Tampa and not LA.

Oh I see.  Fair enough re: LA.

The Tampa situation was rather unique; I don't even think one could call it a De Facto home game with homefield situations.  There were about 25K to 30K fans that game due to the pandemic.  The Bucs winning was more related to that team being stacked and Mahomes was hurt.  The fan situation was probably the 3rd factor if there even was a factor.

21 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I don't want the Fog Bowl or the Ice Bowl, but some snow is nice.  Those boys can handle it, and as long as they're not stuck in a snowdrift, it's fun to watch.  Better than another yet-again squinting in the dark trying to watch a game in the Superdome.  That stadium has all the warmth and personality of a crypt.

I agree about some elements.  A little rain or snow is fine.  20 degree conditions are fair enough.  I understand the league wanting to move away from worse cases, but it still is an outdoor sport

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I don't need to see Mahomes & Allen struggling in bad weather.  Sure they can handle it, but no one wants to watch a total, low-scoring slugfest with a ton of ground game stuff and bad football.  The game has changes with the times of the game

Well in that case, why not have both NFC-AFC Championship Games at Jerry World? Its not like the Cowboys will ever be a part of it for the foreseeable future. 

Besides, I really enjoy seeing Playoff games in snowy, very cold, & very rainy muddy weather. It is most certainly not bad football. I'm certain that Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Brady (yuck), etc can handle the bad weather games. If their team really want to be playing in the Super Bowl, they definitely wouldn't let bad football weather stand in the way & they'll find a way to win in those type of games.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 4
7 minutes ago, Carey said:

A little rain or snow is fine.  20 degree conditions are fair enough.  I understand the league wanting to move away from worse cases, but it still is an outdoor sport

Throw in some blood, sweat and boogers, and you've got John Madden kind of football!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Here are my picks against the spread & the O/U (Over/Under)

Seattle/San Francisco
Niners by 9.5
O/U of 42.5
Seattle covers & under hits

Los Angeles/Jacksonville
Chargers by 2.5
O/U of 47.5
Jaguars and over

Miami/Buffalo
Bills by 13.5
O/U of 43.5
Bills and under

New York/Minnesota
Vikings by 3.0
O/U of 48.5
Giants & over

Baltimore/Cincinnati
Bengals by 8.5
O/U of 40.5
Ravens and under

Dallas/Tampa Bay
Cowboys by 2.5
O/U of 45.5
Bucs cover & under hits

In terms of my thoughts toward the playoff games, I'm going to start with MNF (in case I don't post on Monday).  Dallas should win despite the history.  This team hasn't won a road playoff game in 30 years. However this is the best version of Dallas in a long time (other years include 2007, 2014, and 2016).  The road thing should not be an excuse.  The Buccaneers are not playing well.  The Cowboys aren't playing well either, so that could prevent a postseason edit (where the team w/ a better record hosts over a division champ).  They nearly got shutout at home against Tampa.  Finally, Tom Brady, a super-seasoned postseason NFL player, is undefeated against the Cowboys.  In addition to the fact that Dak has turned it over about 8 games in a row, there isn't a great reason to pick against TB12.  So, until Dallas beat Brady, I'll keep picking the GOAT over the Cowboys.

It's tough to beat the same foe 3 times.  Sure the Steelers did so against the Ravens, the Cowboys did so against the Eagles, & the Seahawks against the 49ers when the 2013 Champions were very good.  Speaking of that NFC West matchup, the Niners swept the Seahawks, and it wasn't pretty.  I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle won outright, and I obviously would not be surprised if San Francisco won by double digits.  However, Pete Carroll has a ton of postseason experience, his team exceeded expectations, and it's division football in the postseason.  If all goes well, it'll be a close game (with the weather as a factor) and Niners survive a close game at home.

In addition to the sixth & final game of "Super" Wildcard Weekend, the first of 2 NBC games this weekend features a scenario where it's possible that another coach can lose his job. To be honest, there was no reason for the HC to play key people last week, especially when certain players like Joey Bosa & Mike Williams have histories with being hurt.  Now the latter is probably out for the rest of the postseason, definitely inactive in their game at Jacksonville.  While I had them as my Super Bowl team, I see the AFC South champs winning at home.  I probably would have had the Bolts winning & advancing with an active Williams & healthy Bosa (before losing to Kansas City), but Jacksonville is rolling.  They didn't look great last time, but that was against the previous division champs in Tennessee.

I would not be stunned if Brandon Staley got fired with a loss.  Bad decision making, plus the league is pivoting to offense.  Get someone like Harbaugh or Payton in there (before Denver gets one of those two).  Ditto with Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy; though an offensive guy, it would be a bad loss in a decent season.  Ravens HC John Harbaugh should be fine, but he might have to revamp/retool the offense again.  Plus, the defense needs an update (following several games lost while leading by double digits)

Edited by Carey
Edited for spacing
49 minutes ago, twoods said:

Seahawks came to play today. They look pretty good so far. 

It’s these division games man, they add in an extra dimension of familiarity and rivalry that lets the teams just get after each other from the start. 

• Like 3

Probably the only teams that can are Tampa & Philadelphia (unless New York has something up their sleeves).  In the AFC, I think it's only the Bengals and Ravens.  Not sure about Kansas City or Buffalo, but I don't think the Bills or KC need to in order to conquer San Francisco

2 minutes ago, Carey said:

Probably the only teams that can are Tampa & Philadelphia (unless New York has something up their sleeves).  In the AFC, I think it's only the Bengals and Ravens.  Not sure about Kansas City or Buffalo, but I don't think the Bills or KC need to in order to conquer San Francisco

Well, if the Giants can figure out how to get past Minnesota it’ll be the Dallas/Tampa winner going to SF next week. Otherwise it’s the Vikings taking a crack at it. 

And I don’t think the Giants have anything up their sleeve for the Niners. It’s a BAD matchup for the Giants should it somehow happen. 

Brock Purdy is like Tom brady minus the tremendous douchebag factor

What is about Iowa producing qbs coming from out of nowhere?  Kurt Warner from Northern Iowa and now Purdy Iowa state.  Not saying Iowa state is nowhere just him last player selected and now sb Contender as a rookie

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Well, if the Giants can figure out how to get past Minnesota it’ll be the Dallas/Tampa winner going to SF next week. Otherwise it’s the Vikings taking a crack at it. 

And I don’t think the Giants have anything up their sleeve for the Niners. It’s a BAD matchup for the Giants should it somehow happen. 

Oh I know that it'll be the Giants heading to Philadelphia.  What I don't know is the status of Lane Johnson.  If he's out, then I can see the 2023 playoffs happening without the Eagles winning a game.

You would know more than I would, but I've seen past New York teams, albeit better teams, conquer teams that were better than this San Francisco team.  While they've been running well, this very season they somehow got smacked around like nothing against Kansas City.  The 2011 Packers and 2007 Patriots never suffered a loss like that.

Different team, different era, but same franchise.  I guess it's fair and a moot point if the Giants can't beat San Francisco, then they probably won't be able to get by Philadelphia or even Minnesota.  If the Vikings do win, then I think the winner of whoever Philly plays has the best shot at the niners

I knew the second half was going to go as expected, rather than the pleasant surprise of the first half, but that was painful to be proven right.

I don't care about the Jaguars or the Chargers, but I guess now that Phillip Rivers is gone I should half-heartedly root for the other L.A. team.  We'll see.

Part of me wanted to see the Niners lose just to see Planet Earth meltdown over the possibility of Tom Brady backdooring into 2-3 home playoff games.  The NFC may have been wide open; it would've been the first ever time a 2 seed wasn't part of the divisional round in a normal season.  Either Minnesota or Tampa would've been guaranteed a second home playoff game (would've been a first for a 3 or 4 seed due the postseason expansion).

The chance of San Francisco tying Pittsburgh isn't that much of a big deal, but it's a big deal.  FWIW, the Steelers would've been pummeled by this team had they made a run (they get their chance next season).  I think I'd be okay if nobody from the NFC reached a sixth SB title, but I'll gladly take San Francisco over Dallas.  As mentioned, the Chiefs is the only matchup that doesn't really favor the Niners, but the NFC West champions have a plant of sorts from the Buckeye state

Wait is that pool in Jacksonville open during the entire game?  You can’t even see the field through that plexiglass and who wants to crane their neck to look at that giant-ass TV?  Why would you spend a jillion dollars just to go swimming?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'm confused as to why this is coming up as a suggestion.  Is this a rumor? The only reason it's happening this year is because of Damar's on-field cardiac arrest. The NFL might do things that are unpopular with fans but that's usually not the sole reason they do them.

I don't think the NFL would do it because it could potentially lead to more sitting of teams, which the NFL doesn't like, if there's no value to getting a higher seed. 

But in addition to that, Goodell doesn't just get to make this decision.  The teams would have to agree.  Any team that thinks itself as good or close to good is not going to go for it because they'd want to host the game if they play well enough.  Any team that's in a city they don't feel will put together a package to host the game (due to finances or infrastructure) won't vote for it. Any team whose stadium they think won't ever be considered (NFL's fear of the 'elements') will likely vote no.

7 hours ago, Carey said:

TBH, the good thing is that you get to see the best of the best.  I don't need to see Mahomes & Allen struggling in bad weather.  Sure they can handle it, but no one wants to watch a total, low-scoring slugfest with a ton of ground game stuff and bad football.  The game has changes with the times of the game

No one?  I appreciate a good defensive battle.  The only weather that truly creates bad football is wind.  That can happen anywhere there's an outdoor field.

33 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm confused as to why this is coming up as a suggestion.  Is this a rumor? The only reason it's happening this year is because of Damar's on-field cardiac arrest. The NFL might do things that are unpopular with fans but that's usually not the sole reason they do them.

I don't think the NFL would do it because it could potentially lead to more sitting of teams, which the NFL doesn't like, if there's no value to getting a higher seed. 

But in addition to that, Goodell doesn't just get to make this decision.  The teams would have to agree.  Any team that thinks itself as good or close to good is not going to go for it because they'd want to host the game if they play well enough.  Any team that's in a city they don't feel will put together a package to host the game (due to finances or infrastructure) won't vote for it. Any team whose stadium they think won't ever be considered (NFL's fear of the 'elements') will likely vote no.

No one?  I appreciate a good defensive battle.  The only weather that truly creates bad football is wind.  That can happen anywhere there's an outdoor field.

Neutral site games for the future have been mentioned a couple of times on this thread. Nothing by the nfl outside this year

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Useful 1

This game is proof that a higher seed playing on the road is not a big deal.  So when if Dallas loses to Tampa on Monday, Jerry Jones might just simple stomp his HC to death.  Of course, if the Cowboys GM has a heart, he might just simply fire him (Haden-to-Kiffin style)

33 minutes ago, Carey said:

So when if Dallas loses to Tampa on Monday, Jerry Jones might just simple stomp his HC to death.  Of course, if the Cowboys GM has a heart, he might just simply fire him (Haden-to-Kiffin style)

Jerry is the Cowboys' GM and he obviously doesn't have a heart or soul.

• Applause 2

I guess I'll hold off on making posts like, "Just cancel Chiefs/Chargers Part 3 & just fast forward to Chargers vs. winner of Buffalo/Cincinnati."  LA might survive & they actually can hang with KC, but it looks like the NFL version of TCU/Georgia might not happen tonight