Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Andrew Luck was very courageous for realizing  his body couldn’t handle any more abuse from football so he retired. I’m sure it’s very hard for most to make that decision since football has been their entire life, and they wouldn’t know what else to do. 

• Like 3
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, twoods said:

Andrew Luck was very courageous for realizing  his body couldn’t handle any more abuse from football so he retired. I’m sure it’s very hard for most to make that decision since football has been their entire life, and they wouldn’t know what else to do. 

Look how few players - Jim McMahon is the only one who immediately comes to mind - say if they'd known then what is known now, they wouldn't have risked playing.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The Tua Tagovailoa situation really does revive the "how long does the NFL have left?" debate. On the surface, it's an absurd question given how much money the NFL rakes in, but on a deeper level, there may be something to it. In 2019, youth participation in football had already significantly fallen off, and I bet after Tua's injury, it will fall even further.

I mean, I doubt the NFL's death is rather imminent, but I have to revive the question about its long-term longevity. Can football course correct or is the sport just too inherently violent to save itself?

If nothing else, we know that Tua finds the movie MacGruber funny.

Football at Tottenham today.  I don’t know how the Twitterverse is going to feel about an operatic national anthem but a. I thought she was great at it and b. she looked amazing.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, twoods said:

I remember when Mike Alstott decided to give up his NFL career.  He had neck issues.  His doctor told him that it would take just one more hit and he could be paralyzed.  He made the smart decision to retire.  Granted, he probably had just a few years left in his career vs. someone Tua's age.  Either way, I'm sure it's difficult to walk away from something you love to do.  Kudos to Mike for all of the charity work he and his wife are doing.  He's a class act.  

6 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Can football course correct or is the sport just too inherently violent to save itself?

Other than wrapping the guys in bubble wrap, I don't think there are many ways to lessen the violent nature of the game.  I think that some of the players enjoy knocking their opponent out, but I think the majority of them don't mean to hurt anybody.  It's just the nature of this game.  A seemingly innocent tackle turns into a serious injury when the player lands the wrong way on the turf.   

• Love 3

Yeah, hats off to Andrew Luck getting out when he did.  With Brady there a little bit longer + Mahomes surge, it wasn't going to happen in terms of a title.  That doesn't even factor in the following years with Jackson, Allen, Burrow, etc making noise.

I thought back to Barry Foster.  While I think Pittsburgh in the 90s was closer than Indianapolis was in the past decade, with proper saving & the position Foster played, I think he was okay going forward.  He got his money + a decent life moving forward

I had to laugh when the NFL pimped Packers/Patriots as Rodgers vs Belichick.  No one that plays the game is worth that featured spot

On an unrelated note, exciting finish possible in Vikings/Saints!

• LOL 1

Damn it!! The wretched Vikings escaped with the win, BARELY!! And I thought that the Saints kicker made another 60 yard field goal. And it hit the bar twice & missed. 

Edited by Magog
  • Sad 1

So, not many people, if even that, predict injuries as a reason to go the opposite way from the chalk.  I hate to say it, but if I had to bet on it, it'll happen at Acrisure.  Someone's going down, and it will not be good.  The field at the former Heinz Field has been a mess since Day One, and there was a game last night, and in awful weather conditions.  No way they prepare it that fast to safe conditions.  Could be bad news for the Steelers and/or the Jets.

Hats off to Mike Pereira, having to be up so damn early for the broadcast's rules analyst on a Sunday.

Well, similar to last Saturday for the collegiate Week 4, non-available for Week 4 of the NFL.  Taking the day off.  While looking forward to the latest AP Pool and Judge 62 (or not) I probably might keep an eye on Packers/Patriots & Bucs/Chiefs, but that's it.  RedZone isn't an option this week, a decent one, so I can't even tune into Buffalo/Baltimore instead of Pittsburgh/New York.

Man, what a nice start to a 15-hour NFL Sunday!

13 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

JJ Watt went into A-Fib on Wedneday.   he's playing today.   This is insane.  I don't want to watch someone die on the field.

JJ Watt is one of my favorite players from his days on the Texans. I find it alarming that he is playing in the same week that he had this procedure. I hope everything is okay and that he isn't being pressured.  He does not have anything to prove at this point.

Ugly game for the Bills. Need to get their heads out of their asses if they want to win their division. All the talk about possible SB this year made them way too confident, coupled with all those injuries on defense.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Great start for my Falcons against the Browns, Falcons up 10-0.

Its still early, but we already know how this is going to end for those sucky Falcons.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, twoods said:

Ugly game for the Bills. Need to get their heads out of their asses if they want to win their division. All the talk about possible SB this year made them way too confident.

Yeah the Bills look like shit today, Ravens are destroying them on both sides of the ball. I think the Bills may still be hungover from their disappointing loss in Miami last week, and the Ravens are a good team, but I agree that all of the hype surrounding them probably isn’t good for them.

26 minutes ago, Magog said:

Its still early, but we already know how this is going to end for those sucky Falcons.

Game tied at 10 at halftime. I’m hoping the Falcons can pull one out but I have no confidence in them given their habit of chronic choking.

Some good games on -

Bills have come back from down 17 to tie it at 20 against the Ravens.

Falcons and Browns are tied at 20 in the 4th quarter.

Colts have made it interesting against the Titans and are only down 7 after being down 21

Bills win it 23-20 on a last second Tyler Bass FG, after a horrid, stupid decision by Harbaugh to go for it on 4th and goal instead of kicking the FG, Lamar got picked on the play and the Bills drove it down to the goal line and ran out the clock and set up the FG. What an epic choke by the Ravens, no excuse for losing this game, they played an awful second half. 

• Sad 2

Ok I’ll give the Giants some love for their win today, even if next week in London they won’t have any healthy quarterbacks.

If you want to see some funny Pop Warner-level shit, check out the last three seconds of the game.

• Love 4

Fiasco Alert! Backup Brian Hoyer got injured in the first quarter, and now rookie fourth round pick Bailey Zappe is playing for the Patriots.  Let's see if he can maintain the Patriots 3-0 lead against (checks notes) Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

I think Hoyer got a concussion, and you know how seriously the NFL takes those.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Fiasco Alert! Backup Brian Hoyer got injured in the first quarter, and now rookie fourth round pick Bailey Zappe is playing for the Patriots.  Let's see if he can maintain the Patriots 3-0 lead against (checks notes) Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

If Zappe gets hurt I have no earthly clue who plays QB for the Patriots.

2 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

If Zappe gets hurt I have no earthly clue who plays QB for the Patriots.

And neither does Bill Belichick.

QBs dropping like flies this week.  Although watching Saquon Barkley run the Wildcat when Daniel Jones and Tyrod Taylor both went out was entertaining, it's not really a long-term strategy.

Hey, maybe Colin Kaepernick finally gets his chance...

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I just remembered that Pats WR Jakobi Meyers is a former QB, so maybe he's the emergency QB, but he's injured and not in this game, lol. 

They said he's not even at the game, but is back in Massachusetts.

34 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

No way is that "Independent" neurologist sending Hoyer  back out there after what happened to the other guy. I imagine the conversation along the lines of;

Hoyer "Hey, I'm certain I'm not Batman!"

Neurologist: "Sit down and have a Snickers."

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

At the Half, Zappe is 6-10 with 0 TDs, 0 INTs, and a lost fumble. Patriots lead 10-7 on a Pats pick six at the half. Honestly, it could be a hell of a lot worse. Zappe is mediocre, but he isn't horrendous so far.

For comparison, Aaron Rodgers 3-10, 38 yards and an INT.

• Love 1

Rodgers throws a pick six and the Pats lead it 10-7 at halftime. Rodgers looks like shit today, he hasn’t really looked like himself this season but this is an ugly game for the Packers. If they could get any offense going they will win given the Pats situation but they can’t seem to do it. 

Pats lead the Packers 24-17 in the 4th, impressive performance from the Pats especially with a 3rd string QB. If they hang on and win, I have to think Zappe will be their QB going forward until Jones returns. The Packers have been very disappointing this season, it’s clear that they are trying to figure things out at receiver, and their defense needs to step up.

1 hour ago, 24k Kate said:

No way is that "Independent" neurologist sending Hoyer  back out there after what happened to the other guy. I imagine the conversation along the lines of;

Hoyer "Hey, I'm certain I'm not Batman!"

Neurologist: "Sit down and have a Snickers."

That commercial was so funny at the time.  Ahh how naive we were.

Because I have the soul of a 13-year-old, Rodgers barking “snap the fucking ball!” when the refs were dilly-dallying made me laugh.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Because I have the soul of a 13-year-old, Rodgers barking “snap the fucking ball!” when the refs were dilly-dallying made me laugh.

I rewound it twice 😂. No Tony Romo he did not say "Snap the ball faster" we all heard it.

• LOL 7

No.  No, Jim Nantz.  You can’t have it both ways.

”Last week Rodgers beat Brady, and this week he is trying to beat Bill Belichick…”

Which is it?  Do you beat the QB, or the coach?  Also, we don’t need to bring Brady up all the damn time.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

”Last week Rodgers beat Brady, and this week he is trying to beat Bill Belichick…”

And being as the Packers only play the Patriots once every four years, it's not exactly been much of a rivalry over any of their careers.  They're trying to hype it as if it was Manning-Brady and it just isn't.

• Love 2

Romo is never *not* on my shitlist, but he’s just so extra today.

He says “expecially” and he says “Rodgers will either hand it off or the right or throw to the left”.  And Rodgers … throws to the right. And Romo tries to play it off like wowowowowow I can’t believe Rhule made that call and it’s more like no, you asshat, you really don’t know everything even though everyone blows smoke up your ass.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1