Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

We're getting that one in Vegas too. I can see why they made the move. Besides the Manziel factor, Cle/Cin has more compelling playoff implications. Frankly, I'd rather see that than a Packers/Bills blowout.

Edited by Snowprince

Is there some kind of rule that the NFL can't have NFL games vs. the Heisman ceremony?

So this is the first Saturday without college football* in months, and I need to have my fix.

(*Okay, there is the Army/Navy game, which College Gameday attended for the first time today, but that doesn't do it for me.)

Next week, we have 2 Saturday games (for the first time in seemingly many years).

Yet there are no NFL games today? Why not? The Heisman Ceremony is already going to be boring. And 30 for 30 The U 2 can be DVR'd.

I think that, as part of the original TV agreement the US govt. approved for the NFL back in the 50s, there was some a rule that prohibits the NFL from actively competing with either college or high school football. So no games on Fridays or Saturdays.

Kind of crazy to think of, when you look at the corporate juggernaut the NFL is now, but back then, college football was far more respected and established, and those in charge really didn't want a professional league around at all.

I'll be getting the Cincy/Cleveland game I care nothing about, but since I was never going to get Washington/NYG and don't care a whit about Green Bay/Buffalo, either, I'll just use the time to do some puttering in the garage before the SF/Seattle game.  Go Seahawks!

• Love 1

I think that, as part of the original TV agreement the US govt. approved for the NFL back in the 50s, there was some a rule that prohibits the NFL from actively competing with either college or high school football. So no games on Fridays or Saturdays.

Kind of crazy to think of, when you look at the corporate juggernaut the NFL is now, but back then, college football was far more respected and established, and those in charge really didn't want a professional league around at all.

But they play regular season games on Saturdays the last two weeks of the season. ANd part of that time they go against some bowl games.

It's simple.   Earlier in the season there are not playoff implications, so less need for national games, more games to go on Sunday.   With playoff implications come the need for more national/regional games so they expand the schedule to Saturdays also.    More tv coverage of fewer games on Sunday so you can get more regional coverage.   

But they play regular season games on Saturdays the last two weeks of the season. ANd part of that time they go against some bowl games.

From Pro Football Talk

The answer comes from the league’s antitrust exemption.  Crafted by Congress in 1961 after a court decision determined that the practice of selling TV rights for the entire league violates antitrust laws, the Sports Broadcasting Act has a key caveat for the NFL — no games can be televised on Friday nights or Saturdays from the second Friday in September until the second Saturday in December.

• Love 1

We are not getting Cincy/Cleveland but since I live in Syracuse and the Bills are on FOX, I'm getting the Bills. Which sucks, because even though they are shitty this year, I'd still rather watch the Giants. CBS is showing the Pats and whoever they are playing which no.

I know DirecTV does it, but as I have no interest in having satellite, I wish you could choose Sunday games a la carte. Come on, Goodell, instead of shipping a team overseas which no one wants, get on this. I bet you could make a fortune. I mean, don't all these games have national broadcasters at them already? So if FOX broadcasters are in the Meadowlands, then I should be able to choose an option on my screen that would put FOX in Jersey. The technology cannot be out of reach for the cable networks, can it?

Edited by mojoween

I was amazed to see that Sky Sports aren't airing the Pats game, given that it's a divisional clincher. They're usually so up the Patriots' backsides about all things. Then I realised that they only chose the Browns game because of Manziel. Sigh.

Still, Manziel seems to completely suck, which is funny.

A very rough day today for the Cleveland Browns/Johnny Manziel.  Yikes. I really like Johnny and I hope that he can eventually figure things out at the NFL Level. I do have hope that in spite of the mistakes he's made today, because he is still a rookie and prior to this game he only had like 12 snaps. I hope he will get it together,  one bad game, doesn't automatically mean he won't eventually work out. But unfortunately now it looks like the Browns playoff hopes are gone.

I feel like the organization was kind of between a rock and a hard place with the whole QB controversy thing. Brian Hoyer had helped them get a winning record, but his play was declining over the past 4 games, and wasn't doing offensively much wasn't getting done. Johnny provided a spark in the Bills game, but there were a lot of questions of whether they should play him, due to reasons like him being a rookie, not be sure of how he'd play. Some people felt like Johnny should have gotten the start for the Indy game, and that the organization let Brian play too long. I thought that the organization choosing Brian to play for Indy was a fair decision, even though I thought it might have affected the team's playoff chances, with the way he played. But now they've switched to Johnny and he's really struggling. They aren't going to the playoffs with either quarterback.

I could see the Browns organization deciding to continue to play out the season with Johnny, to see if can improve and get a better look at him. One bad game, doesn't automatically mean he won't get it together, lots of players struggle early on as rookies. I hope that Johnny can get it together. There are many unhappy Cleveland Fans right now, in addition to a lot of people, including several in the media, who don’t  believe that he will make it in the NFL.  I hope he does make it.

Also I give credit to Cincy for showing up and playing well today.

Edited by Jx223

You know every playoff team in the NFC is going to watch the GB-Buffalo tape. How did that happen?

1. Green Bay has never won in Buffalo (0-5). I thought that was a bad omen.

2. Kyle Orton is now 5-2 vs. the Packers, beating them with 3 different teams. In 2011, the Packers beat the Orton-led Broncos. But later that season, the 13-0 Packers lost to the Orton-led Chiefs in Kansas City.

3. Jim Schwartz's defense. He's been coaching against Rodgers for years as Lions head coach. He knows his stuff.

The way Buffalo has been playing lately it's a shame they waited this long. The AFC playoff picture is too crowded for them to get in, is it not? I mean, the way they made Denver and GB look is pretty frickin' impressive.

I was half listening to the game, what did Joe say?

You know every playoff team in the NFC is going to watch the GB-Buffalo tape. How did that happen?

I was watching RedZone, but I still saw enough Packers missed passes/drops to say that it looks like it was just a bad day at the office for Rodgers and co. That seemed to be the view from the commentators as well. I'm sure the Bills D-line helped them have that bad day, because that is a good unit, and it seems like they really helped out their secondary with the pressure they put on Rodgers.

As for Manziel, he was pretty terrible. Again, from what I saw (and funnily enough, RedZone seemed to spend more time on that game than was warranted), he was just trying to do the same stuff that worked for him in college. But NFL defenders are bigger, faster and more athletic than those in college, and they will punish you if you try to pull that improvisational crap.

He needs to improve hugely if he's not to be the latest in a long line of Browns QB busts. Man, that's an inauspicious list to be on, I'll tell ya. Bortles, meanwhile, looks like he's getting the hang of things, in Jacksonville. He's not great, by any stretch, but he looks at home on an NFL field, and there's a lot of scope for improvement. Good receiving corps as well. They just need to get their O-line set (eight sacks today for the Ravens. Eight!), and they might actually have something, finally.

I think Pettine played the QB situation perfectly. They gave Hoyer more than a fair chance to play them into the playoffs, and now we can see that Manziel isn't ready. Whatever they want to do going forward they're justified.

We are not getting Cincy/Cleveland but since I live in Syracuse and the Bills are on FOX, I'm getting the Bills. Which sucks, because even though they are shitty this year, I'd still rather watch the Giants. CBS is showing the Pats and whoever they are playing which no.

I know DirecTV does it, but as I have no interest in having satellite, I wish you could choose Sunday games a la carte. Come on, Goodell, instead of shipping a team overseas which no one wants, get on this. I bet you could make a fortune. I mean, don't all these games have national broadcasters at them already? So if FOX broadcasters are in the Meadowlands, then I should be able to choose an option on my screen that would put FOX in Jersey. The technology cannot be out of reach for the cable networks, can it?

My guess is in the next 10 years you will see pay per game options on the internet. They threw it out there a bit in the last negotiations with DirecTV over SUnday Ticket about the possibility of an internet option, but I think its still too early for that. When the current Sunday Ticket option is up I'd be surprised if they didn't modify it to allow (legal) internet based games.

The way Buffalo has been playing lately it's a shame they waited this long. The AFC playoff picture is too crowded for them to get in, is it not? I mean, the way they made Denver and GB look is pretty frickin' impressive.

They are only a game out of the wild card. Football outsiders had them at a 5% chance of making the playoffs before this game, so they have a low but outside chance of making the playoffs. Probably at 15-20% after this win.

Okay, I think y'all know that I'm a Seahawks fan and that win pretty or win ugly I just want to see the Seahawks win. And even I'm not sure that I understand that roughing the quarterback call on Mooney. Perhaps I missed something (I am a football newb and am still learning) but Buck and Aikman were saying something about lowering your head and I'm not sure what would qualify as lowering your head. Also why couldn't Harbaugh challenge or did he choose not to challenge?

I have to say, I thought the 9ers played pretty well. Certainly a lot better than they've been playing lately. They came out hard and I was freaking out until that first Seahawks touchdown. But I'm reeeeeeeally happy to see the Seahawks go forward. Next week's game is going to be tense as Hell.

And even I'm not sure that I understand that roughing the quarterback call on Mooney.

I root for the Seahawks, and am so glad they won (especially against SF), but that was a bullshit call.  He kept his head up, like you're supposed to, and hit in the chest rather than the head, like you're supposed to.

Also why couldn't Harbaugh challenge or did he choose not to challenge?

A penalty (or lack thereof) is not among the things a coach can challenge.

Edited by Bastet

I guess it was more the way he said it than the actual words, but he sounded especially smarmy and really seemed to enjoy the fact that Manziel struggled.

In one game, Ben Roethlisberger set the Steeler record for passing yards in a season, Antonio Brown set the record for catches in a season, William Gay set the record for interceptions returned for a touchdown in a season and Le'Veon Bell set the record for yards from scrimmage in a season.

I was kind of cheering for the Cowboys because I want to see Mike Golic have to pay off on his bet. Then I saw Jerry Jones and Chris Christie in the box together and got straightened out real quick.

Edited by xaxat

So excited to see the Bills win. What a great defense- if only the offense could put up points. So many games could have been won if their offense played decent (last week, Chiefs) so it's a shame that they likely won't make the playoffs. At least I got to watch the Packers lose and not act like a bunch of cocky shits like they have recently.

Loved that Manziel got embarrassed in front of a national tv audience.

• Love 2

I guess it was more the way he said it than the actual words, but he sounded especially smarmy and really seemed to enjoy the fact that Manziel struggled.

If this is the moment I'm thinking of, Troy Aikman said in response that Manziel's stats looked great compared to his own first start. I don't remember exactly what Joe said either, but I remember thinking that was damn nice of Troy to say. And this Redskins fan is NOT fond of Troy generally.

Edited to add that Aikman lost his first game to the Saints 28-zip.

Edited by ktwo
  • Love 1

And he finished his first season 1-15. Hell of a first step to the Hall of Fame. Not saying that Johnny Manziel will get there, or even to the Pro Bowl for that matter, but if anybody knows that stranger things have happened, it's Troy Aikman.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1
Loved that Manziel got embarrassed in front of a national tv audience.

Me too!! My problem with him is that whole stupid *show me the money* symbol. Is that supposed to mean he's saying "Look! I'm an amazing Quarterback, give me a big contract, NFL!" Because if it does, he needs to actually play like an NFLer and EARN it. He played terribly and even the coach of the Browns slammed him. I have little sympathy for him and don't care if he's a rookie, or has little experience, if he's going to be doing those stupid greedy gestures. I also get a sense of arrogance in him, not sure why.

So when the Browns players were taunting him with that money gesture - good on them. Try some Humble Pie, Johnny Football.

However, if I am wrong about what that gesture is supposed to mean and being too curmudgeonly, please, anyone correct me.

• Love 1

However, if I am wrong about what that gesture is supposed to mean and being too curmudgeonly, please, anyone correct me.

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt, I don't think you're wrong enough for your point not to stand. Let's assume that the gesture means 'that's money' as in that's a great play. Well, great plays are the name of the game in the NFL. Everyone in the NFL who was a collegiate player was at least very good to outstanding in college. I feel like Manziel needs to show that he can consistently play at the NFL standard before we start talking about a signature gesture.

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt, I don't think you're wrong enough for your point not to stand. Let's assume that the gesture means 'that's money' as in that's a great play. Well, great plays are the name of the game in the NFL. Everyone in the NFL who was a collegiate player was at least very good to outstanding in college. I feel like Manziel needs to show that he can consistently play at the NFL standard before we start talking about a signature gesture.

Reading a lot of commentary on Manziel today. Of course lots of criticism and people saying duh, of course he sucks. Hindsight, you know. If he did well, the media would be praising him and patting themselves on the back for their brilliance...but anyway....the one common comment from both sports writers and commenters is that Manziel didn't bother working on the craft. He made little effort to learn the Browns playbook, little effort to really learn and put in the effort to go from College to NFL calibre player. He thought he could just come into the NFL and wing it, and would naturally be a winner. Then you have other players (I think Russell Wilson is one) who is first into the locker room, last to leave, studies tape, learns and adapts and makes the effort. Manziel is not making the effort it seems. The other prediction - he'll be out of the league (and probably playing in the CFL maybe) in two years. Just repeating what I've read.

Also, he looks A LOT shorter than he is. He's 6 feet but looks tiny.

He'll start the rest of the season though, because why not - Browns are out anyway. Feel bad for Hoyer.

• Love 1

I am not shocked that Manziel struggled and will be surprised if he is anything more than a medicore NFL QB. 

However I don't feel bad for Hoyer.  Cleveland really was pretty fair with him and go him plenty of chances to keep the job this year.  He just is not the future of the franchise, they know it for sure.  He is a free agent, he won't be back, there is no point in starting him or playing him more short of Manziel being injured.  The drafted Manziel, they have to play him and see what he can do. 

If Hoyer was never given a chance I would feel bad for him, but Hoyer had oppurtunities and just couldn't do get the job done.  He missed two wide open TD passes in the Colts game that could have changed everything.  Not not "missed" as in he was a few inches off or just over the guys fingertips, missed as in the WR has 2-3 steps on the defender downfield, beats them deep and he overthrows them by a good ten yards. 

• Love 2

I'm in shock.   Genuinely truly shocked.   Happy ... but shocked.

That was a good come from behind win for Dallas, giving them the lead in their division. They really have been playing well on the road this year and are still undefeated on it.

Reading a lot of commentary on Manziel today. Of course lots of criticism and people saying duh, of course he sucks. Hindsight, you know. If he did well, the media would be praising him and patting themselves on the back for their brilliance...but anyway....the one common comment from both sports writers and commenters is that Manziel didn't bother working on the craft. He made little effort to learn the Browns playbook, little effort to really learn and put in the effort to go from College to NFL calibre player. He thought he could just come into the NFL and wing it, and would naturally be a winner. Then you have other players (I think Russell Wilson is one) who is first into the locker room, last to leave, studies tape, learns and adapts and makes the effort. Manziel is not making the effort it seems.

I had read an article today that says that after his performance against Cincy on Sunday that Johnny is now “on the clock” in Cleveland. That kind of makes me lol, especially considering it was his very first start, but it very well may be true. I could see the Browns actually getting rid of Johnny is he plays poorly these final two games. Coach Pettine has said that these games he’s starting will be a sample to evaluate what the organization decides about him during the offseason. I think that if he plays poorly, these last two games they could get rid of him. Especially given how many quarterbacks they have went through since 1999. If they do get rid of him, I hope he still gets to go somewhere and gets the opportunity to play and grow as a quarterback.

He definitely has several things he needs to work on and needs to work harder, but I think that many of his problems are going to have to be solved by playing in games, and getting the experience of going against NFL teams. Maybe if they trade him he will go somewhere where he will get a chance to play and gain important experience, like a struggling team that doesn’t really have a definite quarterback.

He might actually be better off on a team that is struggling more, because they may be more patient with his growing pains, and with him trying to adjust to playing in the NFL. Like what happened to some of his fellow rookies, (Carr and Bortles) who were drafted to really struggling teams, who are letting them start, go through their growing pains and develop as QBs.

I wonder if we might get a situation in Cleveland where neither Hoyer or Manziel is there next season.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

This game is awful, but Gruden and Tirico have been hilarious ripping the Bears.

Did I understand their description of Gruden's new contract correctly? He can't leave for a coaching job?

I had read an article today that says that after his performance against Cincy on Sunday that Johnny is now “on the clock” in Cleveland. That kind of makes me lol, especially considering it was his very first start, but it very well may be true. I could see the Browns actually getting rid of Johnny is he plays poorly these final two games. Coach Pettine has said that these games he’s starting will be a sample to evaluate what the organization decides about him during the offseason. I think that if he plays poorly, these last two games they could get rid of him. Especially given how many quarterbacks they have went through since 1999. If they do get rid of him, I hope he still gets to go somewhere and gets the opportunity to play and grow as a quarterback.

He definitely has several things he needs to work on and needs to work harder, but I think that many of his problems are going to have to be solved by playing in games, and getting the experience of going against NFL teams. Maybe if they trade him he will go somewhere where he will get a chance to play and gain important experience, like a struggling team that doesn’t really have a definite quarterback.

He might actually be better off on a team that is struggling more, because they may be more patient with his growing pains, and with him trying to adjust to playing in the NFL. Like what happened to some of his fellow rookies, (Carr and Bortles) who were drafted to really struggling teams, who are letting them start, go through their growing pains and develop as QBs.

I wonder if we might get a situation in Cleveland where neither Hoyer or Manziel is there next season.

I think he could be on the clock. Pettine clearly had little belief in him to begin with, and that view must have permeated through the organisation, because there was no overt pressure to put him in the starting lineup, despite his obvious marketable qualities.

Honestly, I don't think he ever amounts to anything, even while I am willing to say that his performance against the Bengals was as much stage fright as anything else. I just don't think he has the skillset necessary to be a QB in the NFL. If he can't learn how to stand in the pocket, how to read defenses and recognise schemes, then he has no future as anything other than a gimmick player. From what I've seen, I don't think he will learn to do those things. He needs to apply himself to football, and nothing else. Don't think he has that commitment.

Both Carr and Bortles were more pro-ready, in my view, because they played a more traditional, pocket passing role in college, a lot of the time. Same goes for Bridgewater, who is starting to look better in Minnesota as well. Cleveland were so dumb to go for Manziel over either Carr or Bridgewater, and it'll come back to bite them. Just like they were so dumb to go for Weeden (who everyone knew would suck). I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them try to trade up and get Jameis Winston, in 2015.

Wow. A bit surprised about this, TBH. Jay Gruden is returning as Head Coach of the Washington Redskins. I would've expected him to be on the Black Monday chopping block. That confirms to me that RGIII is definately going to be heading somewhere else. Browns maybe? Jacksonville? Jets?

Wow. A bit surprised about this, TBH. Jay Gruden is returning as Head Coach of the Washington Redskins. I would've expected him to be on the Black Monday chopping block. That confirms to me that RGIII is definately going to be heading somewhere else. Browns maybe? Jacksonville? Jets?

49ers?

Good one too. Raiders also? Maybe the NFL can do a brother swap. A Gruden for a Harbaugh. Black Monday is going to be very interesting...

I remember reading a few weeks ago an article where Jerry Jones says he's a big admirer of RGIII. I do wonder if maybe since Gruden is saying his job is safe, if they indeed will actually trade RGIII somewhere.

I also wonder what is going to end up happening with the situation in Chicago. According to ESPN Jay Cutler has been benched for backup Jimmy Clausen.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/12043769/

Clausen hasn’t played as a starter since 2010 for Carolina. After this benching and even before I have seen different suggestions of what might happen, if Jay Cutler is either traded or Mark Trestman is fired. I’ve seen some suggestions that may Jay might go to Tennessee or somewhere like the Jets. On Mike and Mike today they suggested that maybe if Trestman is fired, the organization brings in Mike Shanahan to coach Jay again and try and help Jay/the team.  Shanahan did play a role in helping the Broncos draft him and also helping them draft Brandon Marshall. He did like and believe in Jay. There was an article around a year ago, when Shanahan was still with Washington where he mentioned that he still believed in Jay/Brandon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4687169/shanahan-still-high-on-cutler-marshall

So him possibly going to coach Chicago, is one suggestion I’ve seen thrown out there.

If they do trade Jay, I wonder who they may bring in to replace him. Some free agents that will be available after this season are Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer, Mark Sanchez, and Jake Locker. I do think there could end up being big changes for Chicago after this season is over, even though I’m not sure where the changes will be at. (QB, Head Coach, or both?)

Edited by Jx223

Jax sured showed Tenn which team is a distant 3rd in the worst division of the AFC

Bears should have kept Josh Mccown and spend the money on the defense.  It was a clear choice last offseason.  Stick with the lesser known guy who is actually producing for your team at a lower price or resign the "name" talent because he is supposed to be better long term for much more money.  I thought it was a mistake then

For all the experts now saying how Cutler is a cancer and an average QB not worth the money, not one of them I know of at the time said the Bears should have kept Mccown and let Cutler go.  If the Bears had to do it over again, I don't think there is any doubt that would be the option.  Mccown may not be a long term solution but he is a short term solution until they could groom or draft a better younger guy.  And they would have 15+ million more to spend on the D. 

Edited by DrSpaceman

No NFL team moving to Los Angeles for 2015, report says

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/no-nfl-team-moving-to-los-angeles-for-2015--report-says-160842639.html

New Video of Ray Rice Assault Shows Couple Kissing, Cuffed After Elevator Attack (Video)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/video-ray-rice-assault-shows-couple-kissing-cuffed-011316716.html

Edited by yourpointis