Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

And Green Bay seemed ready for the game.    If 3 days were not enough, both teams would be screwing up all over and the scores would be a lot lower.   Anyone remember the 5-3 Monday nighter in 2008?   Steelers v. Dolphins.

Christian Ponder could be given six months, and he'd still be unable to prepare for a football game.

But I don't really get this point of view. Two teams are playing, one is racking up points while the other tanks. Same as it's been every week. So clearly, one of the teams is doing an okay job of preparing. And having watched the Steelers @ Ravens game, I didn't see anything from the Ravens that suggested they hadn't prepared adequately.

These games are all divisional, which means you'll already have extensive scouting and knowledge of your opponents, so it shouldn't take as long to prepare as it would if you were playing a team you'd not faced for a couple of years. If anything, the lack of preparation time should have hurt the Packers more this week, because the Vikings have new coaching staff and new systems in place. Yet the Packers are spanking them, because they're a better team and because Christian Ponder is a terrible, terrible player who can't throw the ball further than five yards.

What has happened then, to cause these games to be bad? One team has sucked. Simple as that. The Bucs suck this year, the Vikings suck without a QB and without AP, the Steelers are about as bad as they've been for a decade, and the Redskins are not very good either.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

A blowout doesn't prove one team was prepared and one is not. I think it just tends to exaggerate the advantage of the more talented team. The game plans my guess would be are very vanilla with nothing specifically geared to the opposition.

Whatever the cause , the games consistently suck.

Let's do a little geeky look back at weeks 1-4 Thursday games:

Week 1 - Green Bay @ Seattle. Final score: 36-16 Seahawks. Current records GB (2-2 (well, soon to be 3-2), Hawks 2-1 (bye last week). And lookie here - Tonight is Green Bay's second Thurs game.

Week 2 - Pittsburgh @ Baltimore. Final score: 26-6 Ravens. Current Record: Ravens (3-1), Steelers (2-2)

Week 3: Tampa Bay @ Atlanta. Final score: 56-14 Atlanta. Current Record: Atlanta (2-2), Tampa Bay (1-3)

Week 4: NY Giants @ Washington. Final Score: 45-14 Giants. Current record: (2-2), Washington (1-3).

Conclusion? It could look like the slightly better team will blow out the lesser team on Thursday's. Or something...

You can't adequately prepare for a football game in 3 days.

So how do you explain Green Bay's performance?

It's pretty clear the Vikings chose to protect Bridgewater and took a dive on this game. Honestly I'd rather they do that than mess around with his ankle, Redskins/RGIII-style. Although it does bring up questions about his durability.

Edited by Minneapple

Next week Colts at Texans. On paper this looks like a good matchup. Colts win, they have the tie breaker for the division lead. Texans win, they expand their lead to 2 games. Again, a good matchup on paper, and that's the only way to pick the prime time schedule before the season starts...on paper. Not sure if the Sunday night "flex" scheduling rules also count for Thursday, I don't think they do. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. We'll see. 

Edited by Snowprince

Another Thursday, another blow-out. What the hell?

I see your point, DrSpaceman [My favorite '30 Rock' character!], that 3 days is not enough time to prepare for a football game. But why aren't both teams gassed and sluggish? Why does one team dominate offensively and defensively?

• Love 1

Conclusion? It could look like the slightly better team will blow out the lesser team on Thursday's. Or something...

Well, the Bucs are very bad, and Atlanta at home are very good. The Steelers are not a good team this year, while the Ravens are shaping up to be solid as a rock on defense and actually able to move the ball consistently on offense. And as stated, the Vikings with Ponder might as well just have knelt the ball on every offensive series, while the Packers didn't even need to put their offense on the field to win.

The only one that looks like an anomaly to me is the Giants @ Redskins game, because the Giants have been every bit as bad as the Redskins, at times. But it's the NFC East, so nothing really makes sense anyway. The only consistent thing in that division is that Tony Romo will choke in week 17.

But the fact is, most of the Thursday night losers so far are teams that appear to be shaping up to have dumpster fire seasons regardless. That's not something I can really blame on the scheduling, it's just unfortunate. If the Raiders played the Chargers on Thursday night, I'd expect a blowout as well.

Next week Colts at Texans. On paper this looks like a good matchup. Colts win, they have the tie breaker for the division lead. Texans win, they expand their lead to 2 games. Again, a good matchup on paper, and that's the only way to pick the prime time schedule before the season starts...on paper. Not sure if the Sunday night "flex" scheduling rules also count for Thursday, I don't think they do. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. We'll see. 

Yeah, it's a good matchup on paper. But the Texans play the Cowboys this weekend, which is a HUGE game for them. So...it's entirely possible that they lay it all out on Sunday and then have nothing left for Thursday's game, mentally speaking.

IIRC flex scheduling doesn't work for Monday or Thursday games.

I'm a Packers fan, and I was bored out of my mind before halftime.

Poor CBS. They're paying $34 million for each of these blowouts.

Sure, TNF games have always been bad. But never this bad. (Also, let's not count the Packers-Seahawks as a TNF game since that was the opening game.)

I think CBS is just cursed.

I used to really love ESPN's Thursday Night college football. But I've for the most part stopped watching due to the NFL's Thursday football.

Tonight, I DVR'd both the Green Bay game and the Arizona/Oregon game, and I forgot how great Thursday Night college football can be.

Edited by nowandlater

And Green Bay seemed ready for the game.    If 3 days were not enough, both teams would be screwing up all over and the scores would be a lot lower.   Anyone remember the 5-3 Monday nighter in 2008?   Steelers v. Dolphins.

That game was in 2007 and the final score was 3-0. I'll never forget it because it had the punted football that got stuck in the mud.

Another Thursday, another blow-out. What the hell?

I see your point, DrSpaceman [My favorite '30 Rock' character!], that 3 days is not enough time to prepare for a football game. But why aren't both teams gassed and sluggish? Why does one team dominate offensively and defensively?

I don't know the answer to that. One team may be mentally tougher than the other, more veteran presence on the field. That would explain 3 of the 4 blow outs. I throw out week one because both teams have over a week to prepare after preseason. You look at the match ups though,

Giants-Redskins, Giants aren't great recently but have a great coach, have recent SB success, veteran QB with playoff success

Falcons-Bucs. Falcons have had recent regular season success and the more veteran coach and team, better veteran QB as well

Packers-Vikings, another great QB with good coach, recent successful team in Packers.

I realize the Giants and Falcons last year weren't great but over the past five years or so, they are the more successful organizations of the two teams playing and they have the better coach/QBs

The anomaly is the Steelers and Ravens, they seem to be evenly matched both this year and recently. Of course this one was not as much of a blow out as the others, still a 20 point win

Its true every week, the better coach and better QBs have a higher chance of winning, but I think when you make it a short week with half the time to prepare that gets exageratted and its more likely to have blow outs.

If this is the case, then next week one would expect an easy win over Indy over Houston. Its the same pattern. A decent, though not great coach in Pagano with one of the league's top QBs in Luck against a decent team but with a no name QB and young coaching staff. Maybe its the better QBs and coaches have a much easier time placing and executing a game plan in 3 days.

Edited by DrSpaceman

Profootball Talk makes the same point you are, Dr. Spaceman.   The losing teams in the blow outs have 1st Head Coaches.   New coaches, teams still getting used to the scheme with less time to prepare.   Hmmmmmmm.    

And to be clear, I am not against the Thursday night games because its unfair in some way. All teams have oneThursday game and all are equally given 3 days to prepare for that game. Its more the problem that you enhance the chances of poorly played games that turn into blowouts, as we have seen multiple weeks so far this year. Its throwing in a poor quality game that really I don't think any fan necessarily is clamoring for and that no one was really asking for outside of Thanksgiving games for the sole purpose of enhancing revenue for a sport that is already immensely profitable.

I love the NFL and I am not even a big college football person. I know some way they don't need Thursday games because college games are often played that night now. That doesn't even apply for me, I don't watch much college football. As big of an NFL fan I am though, I am not terribly interested in Thursday night games.

It also screws up fantasy games, eliminator competitions and weekly pick em competitions if you forget about those games before Thursday evening.

• Love 2

So the Bills are at the Lions which generally means the game would be on CBS because the home team is NFC but NO, the stupid Texans and Cowboys are on CBS and the Bills are on FOX which means I cannot watch the Giants, which infuriates me.

I mean, it's bad enough I can't watch the Giants, but BOTH of those games hold less than zero interest for me.

Just heard a stat that applies to Cowboys -- teams that are 4-2 have a 77% chance of making the playoffs.    I will believe the Cowboys make the playoffs when they actually play in the post season.

As for the NFC North -- WHAT the hell happened to the Bears.   And I see the Lions are SOL, same old Lions.

Edited by merylinkid

Great catch by Dez Bryant in OT to help Dallas win against Houston.

I was glad to see Carolina win another game today.

I was glad to see Cleveland win too, but that was another nail biter. The Brown's defense was terrible during the first half, they have got to improve on defense. It was rough seeing how poorly they played during the first half and how badly they were struggling with tackling. They need to get it together on defense. Though I am very glad that they rallied back in the second half and won, I thought that Brian Hoyer did a good job at the end helping them get the win.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

The Ravens shit the bed on offense for three and a half quarters, to further the Myth of Andrew Luck. Fantastic. Perhaps some sort of hypnotherapy to convince the players that it's always the final two minutes... could work.

And now I'm stuck having to choose whether I want the Bengals or the Pats to win. That's like Sophie's Choice but worse, because it's about me.

So many goofy results today, though. How the Titans let the Browns back in, I'll never know, same goes for Chicago throwing their game away against the Panthers.

• Love 1

The Jacksonville Jaguars are apparently a terrible organization from top to bottom. I mean, the mascot holds a sign that says "Towels cause Ebola?" And your team is so shitty they were not going to beat the Steelers so picking on the terrible towel was colossally stupid. GTFO.

I liked to hear Greg Gumbel say that the Jets failures are a team effort. I totally agree, this cannot be completely laid at the feet of Geno and Michael. I mean, their receivers cannot catch a ball, they have little to no running game and are relying on the 47 year old Cris Johnson, their defense can't make a stop and are undisciplined. I an not a Rex Ryan apologist, but I am one of the few who like the guy, but maybe it's time for Woody to look into making a change.

The Ravens shit the bed on offense for three and a half quarters, to further the Myth of Andrew Luck. Fantastic. Perhaps some sort of hypnotherapy to convince the players that it's always the final two minutes... could work.

And now I'm stuck having to choose whether I want the Bengals or the Pats to win. That's like Sophie's Choice but worse, because it's about me.

So many goofy results today, though. How the Titans let the Browns back in, I'll never know, same goes for Chicago throwing their game away against the Panthers.

Neither the Colts or Ravens acted like they wanted to win that game. Colts tried to give it away in the 4th at least twice.

Its an easy choice for me, I would root for Satan's gang of 9th circle murderers over the Pats.

• Love 6

Its an easy choice for me, I would root for Satan's gang of 9th circle murderers over the Pats.

I'm on board! Let's get this team started.

Also, my team is in the NFC East and I've always liked the Bengals since I started watching football in the mid-80's so the Bengals are an easy choice for me.

• Love 2

Hitler.   Stalin will start throwing to the other team half way through the game.   On the other hand, Hitler will take himself out of the game at the 2 minute warning of the 4th quarter.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 3

So, Hitler or Stalin at QB?
Hitler.   Stalin will start throwing to the other team half way through the game. On the other hand, Hitler will take himself out of the game at the 2 minute warning of the 4th quarter.

Honestly, though, I think the Patriots are going to play full out considering how badly they did last week. But if the Bengals can get them to where they're scared for the game, Brady will start making mistakes. The Bengals just need to be patient and push the tempo.

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 1

As a former Drama student, I'm begging the Patriots to please send Steven Ridley to a mime class. Every time he scores a touchdown, he mimes a window, then he either steps through the "door," or he kicks down the "door" and steps through it. Steven, you haven't created a door. You're walking through a window.

That being said, the Patriots are embarrassing the Bengals so far.

• Love 3

Well as good as the Patriots have looked in the first half, even if they win, I would reply the same way the Pats fans did after the bad loss last week : THis does not mean their problems are fixed and they are back as a contender. One win does not make you a contender any more than one loss take you out of it

They have a stretch in Nov/Dec of : Denver, Indy, Detroit, Green Bay, SD in successive weeks. Those games back to back will tell us how good they are.

• Love 1

Perhaps it's me, but I'm starting to lose interest in nearly every primetime game. I barely made it to the 3rd quarter for tonight's game.

So I looked up the last few primetime games -- is it me or have a lot of primetime games been boring this year?

Patriots vs. Chiefs: Boring one-sided game

Cowboys vs. Saints: Boring one-sided game

Giants vs. Redskins: Boring one-sided game

Bears vs. Jets: Interesting game

Steelers vs. Panthers: Boring one-sided game

Buccaneers vs. Falcons: Boring one-sided game

Replying to myself to update:

Packers vs. Vikings: Boring one-sided game

Patriots vs. Bengals: Boring one-sided game

I expect Seahawks vs. Redskins will continue this trend.

Jim Nance said today that this week's Thursday Night Football game will be close. I doubt it.

I can deal with the Patriots winning, despite how much I was enjoying all the 'Tom Brady's become 105 years old! Bill is a crazy man!' talk over the last week. It helps my absurdly lackadaisical Ravens and their playoff prospects.

Plus, I'm glad to see all the nonsense talk of the Bengals being the best team in football rudely cut off. Anyone who's watched them knows it's garbage, and that they've lucked out so far, more than dominated anyone.

This is what we need. A former drama -- excuse me -- Drama student, to do weekly reviews of touchdown and sack dances. I will totally "like" every post related to this.

Are you laughing at me, King of Birds? If so, I don't mind.

Check out this humble Tom Brady celebration--I don't know how to post the actual video gif, so here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11651720&startTime=01:04

Edited by topanga

Cute little factoid from this weekend, there are eight ways to score a TD: Rush, Receive, Fumble recovery return, Interception return, Kickoff Return, Punt Return, Punt Block Return and FG Block or miss return.

The Philadelphia Eagles have scored by seven of the methods this season, missing only the FG block or miss return. No team has ever scored all eight ways in a season.

• Love 1

Did anyone expect Skins-Seahawks to be only a 10 point game?   That the Skins would hold Wilson, Lynch and Harvin to under 30 points?   

It might have been a win, but like the Chargers game it showed that the Seahawks are not the dominant team the media would have us believe they are.

• Love 1

Did anyone expect Skins-Seahawks to be only a 10 point game?   That the Skins would hold Wilson, Lynch and Harvin to under 30 points?   

Absolutely not. But in my foolish blinded mentality, apparently every team that I thought would decimate their opponents this weekend failed.....miserably.

There are no more undefeated teams now. But that's okay. Because the best have to lose every once in a while....ONLY once in a while...*crossed fingers*

There are no more undefeated teams now. But that's okay.

I despise a few teams- Raiders, Cowboys primarily. But I cheer for an undefeated season from the other 30 teams ... just to shut up the freakin' Miami Dolphins '72 team. Make it happen before they all croak.

• Love 3

Fans are gonna ruin the game for the rest of us.   There are people who won't take kids to games because of all the drunken antics.   Just this year, 2 bloody brawls at 49ers games.    I remember when 49er fans were the cool ones and the Raider fans were scum.   Now looks like 49ers are sinking to the bottom.   

It's a game folks.   The fate of the free world does not rest on your team winning or losing.   Or how drunk and stupid you can get.

• Love 4

https://gma.yahoo.co...-130503433.html

NFL Security Officials Investigate Laser Pointers After Team Complaint

Buffalo Bills complained that someone pointed a laser at their players during their game against the Detroit Lions.

There's a guy on Twitter bragging that it was him.

Unbeknownst to him, that would make him a self-proclaimed idiot. 

Fans are gonna ruin the game for the rest of us.   There are people who won't take kids to games because of all the drunken antics.   Just this year, 2 bloody brawls at 49ers games.    I remember when 49er fans were the cool ones and the Raider fans were scum.   Now looks like 49ers are sinking to the bottom.  

It's a game folks.   The fate of the free world does not rest on your team winning or losing.   Or how drunk and stupid you can get.

Exactly. Wasn't it just last season where off-duty policemen were planted thoughout the stadium dressed as 49er fans to help curtail the fighting amongst the 49er fans and whatever visiting team's fans (Seahawks I believe)? 

We did the same thing at the Coliseum when the Raiders were still in L.A. We'd circle the date when the Broncos came to town and just groan. I'd love to see a team in L.A again (come home Rams, come back home), but I sure as hell hope it ain't the Raiders.

Edited by Snowprince

^^ Snowprince

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/designs-for-proposed-los-angeles-nfl-stadium-1412626992-slideshow/

Designs For Proposed Los Angeles Stadium (slideshow)

As the 20th anniversary of the NFL’s departure from Los Angeles, the NFL seems closer than ever to returning. Per a league source, the current plan is that the NFL will send one or two teams back to Los Angeles within the next 12 to 24 months.

The timeline would include a team announcing its intention to move in the 2015 or 2016 offseason, with arrangements to play at the Rose Bowl or the L.A. Coliseum pending the construction of a new stadium.

Take a look at the AEG project proposal at L.A. Live in downtown. This is one of the possible sites for a venue in L.A. Other options include the land purchased recently by Rams owner Stan Kroenke at Hollywood Park, Chavez Ravine, and a couple of locations that have not yet been publicly disclosed. Ed Roski’s shovel-ready site at City of Industry is not regarded as a viable destination.
— NBC Sports

This was posted on a St Louis Post Dispatch forum, so take it with a grain of salt. 

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1061845

I was going to post this in another thread but putting this here is appropriate. I got the low down on this situation from an associate at the office of the Chaifetz Group in Chicago. I was skeptical but everything that has happened is fitting just like he said
here it is:

Stan Kroenke has asked for the extension with the owners for a number reasons. The first one being that he is looking to sell the St. Louis Rams. He does not want to get into a relocation situation nor lengthy negotiations with the city. They have been talking but Stan isn't interested in dealing with it. The NFL has granted the extension as a buyer is vetted. That is why you have heard the name Dave Peacock. He is attempting to put together a group to purchase the team from Kroenke. Behind the scenes it has apparently become a bidding war as AEG is involved with the group Peacock has put together. The sources that are saying the Rams are moving are from AEG. The scenario that is playing out appears to be Kroenke applying for relocation and then AEG purchasing the team and moving them to Farmers Field. That is where that extension came in 4 weeks ago.

Now, a couple of things. The NFL is rumored to NOT necessarily be on board with this situation BUT the reason that Bernie, Randy, Burwell, and others are saying that local leaders need to step up is because Peacock is looking for people to join his group. So far it's only going OK but AEG has the resources in place to buy now and the Peacock group is lagging. This part is unsubstantiated but AEG is offering 1 Billion for 80%. Kroenke is willing to do it now but the Dave Peacock group has asked for, and been given, more time to get the group together.

Say what you want that I am a 'fraud' and a 'liar' but the reason I know this is the fact that Dave Peacock has personally asked Richard Chaifetz to join the effort to purchase the Rams.

Say what you want that I am a 'fraud' and a 'liar' but the reason I know this is the fact that Dave Peacock has personally asked Richard Chaifetz to join the effort to purchase the Rams.

Why does the owner want to sell the St. Louis Rams? Is attendance bad? Is the team not profitable?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2014/10/08/NFL-Kroenke.aspx

NFL owners today are scheduled to vote on whether to extend by 12 months the amount of time Rams Owner Stan Kroenke has to come into compliance with the league's cross-ownership rule. Passage of the vote would give Kroenke until December '15 to cede control of the Nuggets and Avalanche. He plans to transfer the teams to his son, which is allowed under NFL rules if the family member has no part in the operation of the football team.

NFL Finance Committee Chair and Texans Owner Bob McNair said that his committee is recommending the owners approve the 12-month extension, and he predicted an easy vote today. There is also a theory making the rounds that Kroenke, as part of a move to take the Rams to L.A., would negotiate a permanent exemption from the rule. The resolution up for vote today would require Kroenke to report to the league in June '15 about how he plans to divest his Denver teams.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/colorado-avalanche/

Value of Colorado Avalanche 337m 

http://www.forbes.com/teams/denver-nuggets/

Value of Denver Nuggets 495m

http://www.forbes.com/teams/st-louis-rams/

Value of St Louis Rams 930m

I'm not sure topanga. 

Edited by yourpointis
  • Love 1

Remember, it's not enough to be "profitable."  It needs to be "grossly profitable." This is the NFL we're talking about.

As Bastet just said- No thanks to the Rams coming back. And the Raiders should never ever come back. And the Jags can stay away.

That yahoo page with the proposed downtown site- preposterous! That's a masturbation fantasy that will never come true. I enjoy living in a city that continues to give the finger to the NFL.

Let's all remember that this is just a record that is skipping on repeat. The NFL wants a team in LA? This is what was written in 1995...

"My grandmother had a saying: 'Go little where wanted, go not at all where little wanted.' And that's about the way it's been (in Anaheim). I think they will be better off too," Frontiere said.

After the vote on the Rams, the Raiders' stadium concerns were discussed for an hour. Discussions included financial assistance for the construction of a new playing facility, and a guarantee that it would be the site of at least two Super Bowls. The league is expected to agree to partly fund the proposed stadium at Hollywood Park

Gotta love that "Super Bowl guarantee"

So this is the most interesting stat I think thus far in the season that no one has brought up.

Michael Sams was cut by the Rams and the reason given was there just it was a deep defensive line and there just was not a spot for him on it.

So far for the season, the Rams are dead last in sacks with just ONE the whole season, by far the worst in the line. Also giving up 70% completion percentage to opposing QBs and a 98 passer rating, not good. Also giving up 152 yards a game and 4.9 yards per rush, both bad. I realize that is not all on the D line, but its a hard to look at those numbers and conclude the D Line is doing a great job.

• Love 1