Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Update:   And now Al and Cris are talking about how great a GM Jerry Jones is.   No he is not.   Stop it.   This is why I wanted a losing season so maybe, just maybe, we could get a real GM.   Otherwise, we get another 20 years of mediocrity.

Isn't it hilarious how when a QB or a running back or a team has a good week, they are the greatest think since sliced bread, but then the week after, they have a crappy week and everyone calls for heads? FOX NFL Sunday was discussing this with the overtime rules.

Remember how last week, the Seahawks/Broncos went into overtime and on first possession, Seattle gets a touchdown and win the game. So the argument is - well, Peyton Manning didn't get a chance to get the ball, therefore the rules should change and he should have had a chance. And I am like, Dafuq? Why? The only sense of reason came from Michael Strahan and Jimmy Johnson. They are like, you had 60 minutes to get a touchdown. If you can't in regulation, too bad. Terrey Bradshaw and Howie Long are arguing for rules changes. I agree with Johnson and Strahan. And the comment was - if it was any other QB besides Manning, no one would be arguing rule changes. Totally dead on.

Last week, Kirk Cousins was the answer to Washington. Now they want him gone. Last week, Geno Smith was the QB answer to the NY Jets, now this week the commentators are like - you have to give Michael Vick a chance! They are so bandwagony and flightly!

And no, Jerry Jones is NOT a good GM. I cracked yesterday that he should stay up there in his little private box and away from the sidelines. The moment he comes down and starts lurking, the worse the Cowboys do. Just stay away, Jerry. And next week, if the Cowboys lose, it'll be, "well, they don't have the right players..."

• Love 2

Oh, the NFL is the epitome of the "What have you done for me lately" school of thought.    After Chip Kelly's FIRST HALF of his FIRST professional game, they were talking about what his speech would be when he went into the Hall of Fame.   I was all "Let the guy finish a game before you start measuring him for his bust."    (BTW, the Hall of Fame gallery with all the busts is waaaaaaaaaaay cool.   You really do believe they talk to each other at night).

The Rules on OT were changed so both teams had a chance at the ball.   All the Broncos had to do was stop Seattle from scoring a TD.   

What the hell is going on with the Falcons?   They beat the Saints - barely.   They destroy the Bucs.   But then after each win they fall apart.   They lost to the Teddy Bridgewater less Vikings.   They lost to the back up of the rookie!!!!!!!!

Same thing that's been plaguing the team for years (and stopped them from going to the superbowl in 2013)...defense. Specifically the defensive coordinator.

The worst

Same thing that's been plaguing the team for years (and stopped them from going to the superbowl in 2013)...defense. Specifically the defensive coordinator.

The worst

They also suffer from having to occasionally play outside. It's very inconvenient for these dome QBs, when there's a bit of wind and the air pressure is subject to change. 

I've got to say, my Ravens are starting to look more and more impressive on the offensive side of the ball. Joe Flacco is quietly having a very good start to the season, and it's incredible, the difference a competent O-line and solid running game can make. Not to mention Steve Smith Sr. out to prove to the world (whether they doubted him or not) that he's still got what it takes.

Everyone knew he was going to punish the Panthers for cutting him, and he's just one of those guys who does the things he says he'll do.

The only sense of reason came from Michael Strahan and Jimmy Johnson. They are like, you had 60 minutes to get a touchdown. If you can't in regulation, too bad. Terrey Bradshaw and Howie Long are arguing for rules changes. I agree with Johnson and Strahan. And the comment was - if it was any other QB besides Manning, no one would be arguing rule changes. Totally dead on.

I agree with them that both teams have a chance and there is no need for yet another change to the OT rules, but I disagree that it's only being discussed because the QB of the losing team is Peyton Manning - this comes up every time OT ends with a TD on the first possession.

Friend on Saturday to me:    Cowboys are going to lose to the Saints.

Me:   Yes.

Text Message Today from Same Friend:   Still ready to give up on Romo?

Me:   Yes.

This is what Romo does.   He sucks you in.   He gets you to believe he can take you to the promised land.   Then boom -- Chokomo is back big time.   And your heart is crushed again.   

It is within the realm of possibility I am suffering from PTSDC (Post Traumatic Stress - Dallas Cowboys)

• Love 1
This is what Romo does.   He sucks you in.   He gets you to believe he can take you to the promised land.   Then boom -- Chokomo is back big time.   And your heart is crushed again.

This is true. Everyone has jumped on the Cowboys bandwagon once again.

Next week --> 3 and 1 Houston Texans - with QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, Arian Foster and JJ Watt(!!) against 3 and 1 Cowboys, with QB Tony Romo, Jason Witten and Dez Bryant. I don't know man - what to pick, what to pick... Tough matchup. However, the match is in Jerry's World, and the Cowboys tend to suck at home. Usually.

As a Vikings fan, the "upset" of the Falcons can only be seen as continued, eternal revenge for 1998.

That was the game that broke me as a Vikings fan. I'm still not over it. Never will be. I can't even enjoy memories of that season without it being all ruined by the memory of that game.

We're hearing a lot about the improved Cowboys offensive line because they're one of the few teams in the league that commits to the run and runs the ball well (wouldn't you rather rely on a running back, any running back, over Tony Romo?). I'm sure the Cowboys won't leave the rookie alone to deal with JJ Watt.

They also suffer from having to occasionally play outside. It's very inconvenient for these dome QBs, when there's a bit of wind and the air pressure is subject to change. 

Manning has done OK since moving outdoors to denver from a DOme.

Kurt Warner went from a dome to Arizona and made another SuperBowl.

Marino played his career in southern FLorida, not exactly Green Bay weather.

Weather doesn't play a role in the majority of games.

Manning has done OK since moving outdoors to denver from a DOme.

Kurt Warner went from a dome to Arizona and made another SuperBowl.

Marino played his career in southern FLorida, not exactly Green Bay weather.

Weather doesn't play a role in the majority of games.

Look at the home and road records of both Matt Ryan and Drew Brees, in terms of wins and general performance levels. It absolutely has had an impact on both of them, and continues to have an impact, when you see their toothless performances on the road this year.

It's not a case of, 'it's harder to play outside because weather', it's a case of 'what is this guy and this team used to playing in?' And if they're used to playing in the controlled environment of a dome, there are adjustments that have to be made when outdoors. It's why no one is scared of the Saints' offense when they're away from the Superdome.

Well, on the one hand the "Patriots are going to fall off" mantra may finally be true after 10 years of people saying it.

On the other hand, 2-2 is good enough for a tie atop the AFC East.

Edited by Fukui San

Look at the home and road records of both Matt Ryan and Drew Brees, in terms of wins and general performance levels. It absolutely has had an impact on both of them, and continues to have an impact, when you see their toothless performances on the road this year.

It's not a case of, 'it's harder to play outside because weather', it's a case of 'what is this guy and this team used to playing in?' And if they're used to playing in the controlled environment of a dome, there are adjustments that have to be made when outdoors. It's why no one is scared of the Saints' offense when they're away from the Superdome.

All teams play better at home than on the road though in the NFL, its the nature of the league, dome or not. Its not a valid comparison to just say they do worse on the road than at home, you have to know if its anywhere bigger difference than a typical QB in any stadium home vs. road.

ANd Tom Brady benched. 3 turnovers in 2nd half, a pick six, should have had a 4th turnover, he looked awful and the Pats offense is pathetic. If any team other than the Pats had their current resume, they would be considered at least in the bottom half of the league. They barely beat Oakland, beat Minnesota in their first game without Paterson and lost two games going away, this one badly. the offense is one of the worst in the league right now. And Brady's two INTs were AWFUL, bad decisions. The pick six had no chance at all, triple covered.

Are we seeing the end of Tom Brady?   Has Bill Belchek ever given up on a game before?   Something is clearly wrong in New England and it feels very very weird.   

The only normal thing about this season so far is that the Raiders fired their head coach in Week 4.   Because every time they do that, it makes such a difference to their win-loss record.   

• Love 1

The Patriots lost a football game, and they lost it badly. Tom Brady had a night he'd like to forget and burn all the game film. Has the "Evil Empire", as my cousin the Jet fan calls them, fallen? I hardly think so. The Pats are 2 - 2. There are 12 games left to be played. I remember everybody was ready to bury the 49ers back in 1994 when the Eagles spanked them 40 - 8. All they did after that was go on to finish their season by beating the tar out of the San Diego Chargers to claim their 5th Lombardi Trophy. It's a long season, I'm not ready to lay the sod o'er New England just yet.   

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1

It's entirely possible this is the end of an era in New England. Brady looks old and confused. They didn't even make a serious attempt at running the football (o where have you gone, NFL running games? I weep for what has happened to you) and their offensive line is terrible. But who knows. This NFL season has been yoyo-tastic so maybe things will turn around.

The Patriots struck gold with Brady back in the day because not only was he good, he was also underpaid (sixth-round pick) compared to his performance. They could build around him and spend a bit more on other pieces. Now they can't afford to do that anymore. (Same deal with Russell Wilson in Seattle; the Seahawks have him at a discount right now, but things will get interesting when they have to shell out the cash and get more creative with the salary cap.)

Perhaps it's me, but I'm starting to lose interest in nearly every primetime game. I barely made it to the 3rd quarter for tonight's game.

So I looked up the last few primetime games -- is it me or have a lot of primetime games been boring this year?

Patriots vs. Chiefs: Boring one-sided game
Cowboys vs. Saints: Boring one-sided game
Giants vs. Redskins: Boring one-sided game
Bears vs. Jets: Interesting game
Steelers vs. Panthers: Boring one-sided game
Buccaneers vs. Falcons: Boring one-sided game

• Love 1

Sadly the Patriots will still probably win the crappy AFC East. An 8-8 record will probably do it.

I am really rooting for the Cardinals this year to win their difficult division. Yeah, it's a long shot with the Seahawks but it would be great for the after missing out last playoffs with a fantastic record. Anyone but the Niners!

So now the NFL has said that their flag on Abdullah for going to the ground in his TD celebration was in error.

Now while I would hate for the NFL to ever appear like they are not respecting all religions, I have to say that a. Going to the ground is a penalty in any celebration and b. Without the refs knowing in advance what he is going to do, they can't know his intent and have to call the flag by the letter of the rule.

Now the simplest way to fix this is to abolish all of the Draconian rules on celebrating the NFL has made in the first place.

• Love 5

So now the NFL has said that their flag on Abdullah for going to the ground in his TD celebration was in error.

Now while I would hate for the NFL to ever appear like they are not respecting all religions, I have to say that a. Going to the ground is a penalty in any celebration. . . 

Not if your last name is Tebow.

Is going to the ground a penalty if it's two knees only?  The reason I'm asking is that they're referencing Tebow bowing on one knee and that was considered OK.  I agree that the NFL needs to just get rid of the stupid celebration rules though.  It's one thing if they want to abolish taunting; however, there's taunting, and there's celebration, and people can see the difference.

The rule is No going to ground to celebrate -- unless praying.

Tebow  (Christian) - obviously playing.    Abdullah (Muslim) not obviously praying to the Ref.   Also Abdullah slid to his knees instead of going straight down.

Even ProfootballZebras on Twitter last night was saying it was a good call because of the sliding.   Today -- different view.

I completely agree the Rule should be changed to --- no celebrations that delay the game.   Definitely no cell phones in the end zone, which was the final stunt that brought about the rule.   Joe Horn of the Saints called his kids -- and they didn't even answer.    Plus the Saints were losing the game and he got the TD in garbage time. 

Edited by merylinkid

Reading twitter last night, it appeared that this would be the next big FRENZY. But Abdullah this morning said the penalty was for sliding on his knees and he knew the rule about going to the ground. He was so reasonable and contrite that it kind of took the air out of the whole controversy.

Get rid of the celebration rules. Let the players have some fun and show some personality.

• Love 5

The Patriots lost a football game, and they lost it badly. Tom Brady had a night he'd like to forget and burn all the game film. Has the "Evil Empire", as my cousin the Jet fan calls them, fallen? I hardly think so. The Pats are 2 - 2. There are 12 games left to be played. I remember everybody was ready to bury the 49ers back in 1994 when the Eagles spanked them 40 - 8. All they did after that was go on to finish their season by beating the tar out of the San Diego Chargers to claim their 5th Lombardi Trophy. It's a long season, I'm not ready to lay the sod o'er New England just yet.

Its not just one game, though, thats the thing. This game was coming if you paid attention to the first 3 games the Pats played. The offense has been anemic. They lost going away to an up and down Dolphins team. They barely beat a bad Oakland team and the beat Minnesota in the first game without Peterson before Bridgewater was put in. They are averaging the lower or second lowest average yards to pass in the league. I didn't think KC would beat them this bad, but you could see this was a loss coming based on the first 3 games. The first quarter of the season, the Pats have played poorly.

They may win a bad AFC east with an 8-8/9-7 record but based on how they played so far, its hard to see them getting more than 9 wins max. Its not like the Chiefs game was an anomaly, thats been closer to about how they have been playing this season. They just ran into a better team than they have played thus far. Now the schedule gets much tougher though.

I thought that going to the ground became a penalty at the beginning of last season. So I thought about Tebowing but I think he was before the rule.

Justin Forsett has done it twice this season, without being flagged. Dropped to one knee, that is.

People are trying to make it into a bigger deal than it is, because religion is involved, but honestly I think it's a nothing story. Refs are inconsistent, and sliding maybe be seen by many as more 'unsporting' than just dropping to one knee.

Honestly, I find most TD celebrations tiresome anyway. I much prefer guys like Anquan Boldin, whose celebration amounts to jogging to the back of the endzone and handing the ball to a fan. 'Act like you've been there before' is a motto I wish most football players lived by. Showing joy and personality is great, but a lot of guys go over the top. Especially for sacks or big plays on defense. I've always looked at it like if you were a QB, what would intimidate you more: A guy who sacks you and then does an elaborate dance in celebration, or the guy who does and says nothing, merely walking back to line up again?

One of those guys has me thinking, 'yeah, well done. You had your big moment'. The other has me thinking, 'he's going to be right back in my face on the next play'.

• Love 1

My preferred TD "celebration" is that of Barry Sanders - hand the ball to the ref and get back to work.  So, on one hand, I like that the rules limit the shenanigans players can get up to.  On the other, I'd rather the rules merely outlaw taunting, delaying the game or such and just let guys who want to make an ass of themselves do so - their behavior will speak for itself.  The problem with that is, the more asinine the behavior, the more air time they get.  Thus, I go back and forth.

• Love 1

My thing is that it's a game in the end. People take it way too seriously. And very few players actually have "been there before." Had Husain Abdullah ever scored a touchdown before? In the end he'll get two or three of those pick sixes in his whole career.

If a player wants to just hand the ball back to the ref, fine. I can understand that too. But I also enjoy seeing players having fun. So go ahead, I say. Dance away. I even enjoyed the cellphone call and the Sharpie. What can I say, I'm easily amused.

What's stupid is guys celebrating some individual accomplishment when their team is 30 points down. I'd be okay with the referees flagging those.

• Love 4

Why don't the Patriots give Tom Brady some weapons on offense. Why trade Logan Menkins? Why did they trade Richard Seymour a few years ago? Why are the Patriot skill players a collection of stiffs? 

Has Bob "the genius" Kraft lost it? Maybe he is too busy entertaining his decades younger girlfriend?

Tom Brady deserves better.

Fines for using the legal name of the team?    Yeah that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.    

FCC needs to stay out of that one.   Plus, bullying Snyder has never worked.   You need to give him incentives, carrot not stick.   But not a Super Bowl.   We can't even get Metro working on a daily basis with a regular crowd let alone a Super Bowl crowd.

You don't have to worry about a DC Super Bowl any time soon. Snyder doesn't get a SB unless he gets a new stadium. And he doesn't get a new, city financed, stadium in the District (which is where he wants to be) if he doesn't change the name.

My thing is that it's a game in the end. People take it way too seriously. And very few players actually have "been there before." Had Husain Abdullah ever scored a touchdown before? In the end he'll get two or three of those pick sixes in his whole career.

That's why I said I find most celebrations silly. If it's a guy who genuinely hasn't done it before, and he's making his breakthrough, then I understand the excitement and sheer joy of making a big play. But for someone who's had about eighty sacks or TDs in their career, essaying a pre-planned dance or pose just makes me roll my eyes. Seattle are the worst, with their posing and preening after every pass breakup and tackle.

But I don't think that celebrations should be flagged unless they're really egregious.

Why don't the Patriots give Tom Brady some weapons on offense. Why trade Logan Menkins? Why did they trade Richard Seymour a few years ago? Why are the Patriot skill players a collection of stiffs?

Has Bob "the genius" Kraft lost it? Maybe he is too busy entertaining his decades younger girlfriend?

Tom Brady deserves better.

Because Bill Belichick is smarter than everyone else put together, and knows so much more about how to put a team together, and how to get the best out of players, that he can do what he likes. At least, that seems to be the legend that has developed in Belichick's own mind. And in the minds of a lot of the media too. I remember the bobbleheads on the NFL Network discussing the Mankins trade, and saying that Belichick clearly knew more than us, and would only make the trade if it made his team better. That Mankins must be past it, and his backup must be ready to take over, and Tim Wright would be a valuable weapon for the Pats offense. Just like they've insisted that nobodies like Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce would become great WRs, simply because Bill wouldn't have drafted them otherwise (never mind that Belichick's record with drafting WRs is not exactly stellar).

Personally, I love seeing the Patriots as a mediocre team, because they've been so smug and unbearable for years.

• Love 2

Patriots- The NFL covets parity, the idea "anyone can win on Sunday" (except the Raiders) so it was inevitable that their draft philosophy (trade backwards to less talented/ less costly) would come back on them.

See what I mean about incentives?    He'll change the name if he gets a new stadium.

FedEx Field is only-- 15 years old?  If you've attended a game- is there any actual need for a new stadium or Snyder just wants to build a bigger tv screen over the field than Jerry Jones?  Is it just about Snyder's small dick?  Again?

• Love 1

FedEx Field is only-- 15 years old?  If you've attended a game- is there any actual need for a new stadium or Snyder just wants to build a bigger tv screen over the field than Jerry Jones?  Is it just about Snyder's small dick?  Again?

Money. Both free and more. If you think you can convince a city to give you a couple hundred million to build a new place, why not try? In addition, a new stadium means a ton of new revenue from PSLs, naming rights, development rights and ever fancier sky boxes. And you are right, ego probably does play a big role.

There are a bunch of owners, in all sports, that are whining about facilities built waaaaay back in the nineties (like Fedex Field) being obsolete. Milwaukee, Phoenix, St. Louis. And the Braves will be moving on after twenty years at Turner Field.

NFL renewed contract with DirecTV, $12 billion over 8 years. Appears the talks of games going online was just negotiation ploy. Though I am glad, the online sporting events I have tried watching never work out well

NFL renewed contract with DirecTV, $12 billion over 8 years. Appears the talks of games going online was just negotiation ploy. Though I am glad, the online sporting events I have tried watching never work out well

The NFL definitely has the tech for that. Their Gameday Pass interface works pretty well with live coverage, either of the NFL Network programming or of games. The stream sometimes dives in quality for a minute or two, but usually it runs at at least 720p, which is more than enough to appreciate what's going on. So they had that in their back pocket, to use in negotiations, but it's not like any service provider would let go of the NFL, and the surefire income it brings.

Oh, please don't ask me to think about the trouser junk of either Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones. I know FedEx Field is reputed to have a lousy playing surface, which has been indirectly blamed for a fair few injuries, and I know a lot of Washington fans don't like the location in Maryland. But it seems that the field, at least, could be addressed easily enough without a whole new stadium.

But a lot of it is probably Snyder believing that there are a few extra pennies he can squeeze out of paying fans, somehow. And that's even before he get to sell them all the new Reds/Redwings/Red Rockets gear, once he's finally forced to change the name to something that doesn't offend a lot of people.

• Love 1

What is up with the Washington DC /Maryland area with names anyway? Hell, you have the Wizards because somewhere along the line a whole lot of people were offended with cheering for The Bullets.

And, my heartfelt apologies for mentioning Dan Snyder's unmentionables. A thousand pardons.

• Love 1

What is up with the Washington DC /Maryland area with names anyway? Hell, you have the Wizards because somewhere along the line a whole lot of people were offended with cheering for The Bullets.

And, my heartfelt apologies for mentioning Dan Snyder's unmentionables. A thousand pardons.

That's okay, I'll get over it. Eventually.

The Bullets thing was because, at the time, Washington had the highest rate of gun deaths in the country, I think. Still, that seems like an overly sensitive reaction, even under those circumstances. But I guess that the Bullets name came with the team from Baltimore, and fit the old city better. Washington Wizards has the same alliterative quality.

So go ahead, I say. Dance away. I even enjoyed the cellphone call and the Sharpie. What can I say, I'm easily amused.

Me too. I never liked Terrell Owens much as a teammate, but his Sharpie celebration was creative and totally unexpected. And it was the first celebration in recent years that drew national attention.  I'll never forget Al Michaels' quote: "Is that a Sharpie?"

The over-the-top celebrations that followed--the cell phone, for example--were all pitiful attempts to recreate the magic of the Sharpie. The Sharpie that TO kept in his shoe and ran with during that entire series, by the way. Ouch.

One of my pet peeves is when a defensive guy tackles a player during a run or a kick/punt return and then nods his head repeatedly like a bobble-head doll on speed, saying "Yeah, yeah!" to his teammates. Um, isn't tackling the ball carrier your job? Aren't you getting paid millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) of dollars to keep that runner from getting by you? It's a tackle, not a strip-sack or a blocked field goal (although it would still piss me off if they did it then, too).  Maybe I'm making too much out of a cocky little head shake, but I find myself yelling at the TV for the player to shut up and get his ass off the field or back on the line. 

Edited by topanga

I think that was the owner, Abe Pollin's idea. I was living in the area at the time and don't remember many calls for a name change.

It was Abe Pollin's idea, but he was "nudged" on by his wife, so he caved.  I remember that there was some kind of contest for suggestions for a new name, and it was her choice of "Wizards" that he picked.  It wasn't the first choice of most of the fans though.  I remember I kept thinking about "wizzes" and a bunch of guys taking a leak.