Type keyword(s) to search

Lea Michele/Rachel Berry

Higgs

Instyle called it one of the looks of the day http://www.instyle.com/look-of-the-day/2015-09-23#1027466

I thought the dress she wore on Ellen was very cute.

She obviously chooses to wear  a different type of outfit it for  day time talks show and night time talk show.  She taped both of them the same day.   Nothing new. 

At the T and L link they have her day time look she wore for The Talk and her night time look for Kimmel.

Lea Michele Is Finding Life After “Glee”

"“I don’t feel like you hear Lea on that record,” Michele said of Louder, which was recorded in shoehorned bursts whenever she had time off from filming Glee. “I think I was blinded a lot by the excitement of making a record, the excitement of people sending me songs, and frankly, I felt the pressure to be like Katy, to be like Kelly, to be on the radio. And I don’t care about that anymore.”

Hmm, I think this is a new spin. Wasn't the press back then about how it was so personal, she was co-writing etc.?  

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Lea Michele Is Finding Life After “Glee”

"“I don’t feel like you hear Lea on that record,” Michele said of Louder, which was recorded in shoehorned bursts whenever she had time off from filming Glee. “I think I was blinded a lot by the excitement of making a record, the excitement of people sending me songs, and frankly, I felt the pressure to be like Katy, to be like Kelly, to be on the radio. And I don’t care about that anymore.”

Hmm, I think this is a new spin. Wasn't the press back then about how it was so personal, she was co-writing etc.?  

Hmmm, people change and evolved. Look how much has happened since she finished the album in June 2013.   Looking back re-evaluating it  maybe it didn't come across as her as much as she had thought.   She said back then she had a connection with each song and that still could be true and she   only co wrote on  a couple of songs that made the album in the end. 

She explained herself imo.  I can see where she thought I get this song, I can relate,   but it still didn't fit her as a singer.

I think people can and do evolve but I also think it is a bit of a retcon.  Back when Lea was promoting "Louder" she was very clear that she was extremely involved in shaping the album - picking songs for it, co-writing a couple etc. So back then it seems she felt it was a good representation of her musical tastes and style.  Now she is saying no it really wasn't and it wasn't because she was pressured to be more like Katy, Kelly, etc.   Given that, I think this retcon is a tacit way of acknowledging the album received mixed reviews and had decent, but not great sales, and the reason for that was because she bought into the hype that pop was the right direction for her.  

Now I happen to agree that "Louder" was not a good representation of Lea's talent (more than once I have said most of it was bland, derivative pop) .  Because of that I am glad to read she is going to evolve away from that in her second album.  Still that doesn't change that Lea seemed to be all in for "Louder" being her way to break into the pop market.  

As far as what has happened since she finished the album in 2013, her boyfriend passed away, she fell in love again, her first show that made her famous ended, she started a new show, she bought a new house, she has written a new book.  That is a lot of change.  

Edited by camussie

In what sense? She's going back to a Broadway sound people associate her with.   

I don't think this album is going back to bway. I think it will be more adult contemporary than pop but not bway.

And Camussie  pointed out several things that have changed.   I do not think all that can happen to you and not  look at your life . Maybe some of the more pop stuff fit that  25/26 year girl and not this 29 year old woman.

I think people can and do evolve but I also think it is a bit of a retcon.

I don't disagree it is not also a bit of a recon.  But I think at the time she felt connected to the songs and the album.  Lea does a hard sell on things but I do think she  more often than not is excited by the projects.

Edited by tom87

As far as what has happened since she finished the album in 2013, her boyfriend passed away, she fell in love again, her first show that made her famous ended, she started a new show, she bought a new house, she has written a new book.  That is a lot of change.

Not sure how buying a new house or writing a book marketed to the teen+ demo factors into switching from Katy Perry to adult contemporary/BW? Cory passed away while she was still working on Louder and she said one song (forgot which) expressed her feelings, didn't she. And she met her new bf on or at the time of the Louder video shoot?

The end of Glee  factors into what she says about typecasting and the wish to do something against type as an actress, more so than  about her music career.

Basically Occam's razor tells me it's a matter of the reception and sales. If the album was a really solid hit, it's logical to keep mining that sound, regardless of the end of Glee etc. She kept saying back then she wanted to do a rock/pop record, not BW --it sounded very much like an intentional move and what she wanted rather than something forced on her by Sony, so this now still looks like a hindsight spin to me. In any case, she's free to course-correct.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Well print magazines in the era of Internet/social media have long passed their peak , however Marie Claire with a circulation of close to 1 Million is among the top 100 magazines in the States as far as circulation. As to whether womens magazines that deal with fashion, health, lifestyle are " sad" or not is totally subjective.

It doesn't have the fashion clout of " Vogue" but then no other women magazines do.

Edited by caracas1914

Is Marie Claire a good thing? I associate it with waiting at the gynecologist's office. Do I have a really cool gynecologist or is this as sad as I think?

Well if you think being on the cover of Marie Claire is sad, at least Lea's in pretty good company.  Gwyneth Paltrow, Jen Aniston, Kerry Washington, Margot Robbie, Anna Kendrick, Scarlett Johanssen are just a few folks that have been on the cover of Marie Clarie.

Like another poster said, it isn't a Vogue cover, but Vogue is never going to put a simple television star on the cover anytime soon.

These kind of layouts are about selling her "brand" and it's pretty much a requirement for any young actress. Especially one who is still building her professional credentials with a larger GA audience. Lea is a known entity, but she's in no way the biggest or most prominent name out there. So this is about helping to create a public perception about who Lea is (outside of the characters that she played) because she doesn't have the body of work that other better known actresses are known for (since the majority of the GA would never have seen her perform on Broadway).

And it's about helping her popularity in the public eye and getting future work. Scream Queens is not a raging success and there is real concern about whether or not it will be renewed. And I would not be overly surprised if Lea would want to try something else, even if it is. She's got a new book to push and needs to gin up interest in her second album so doing these kind of promotional efforts makes a lot of sense.

Subtle.

Yes it is a normal function of the business for 99% of performers.  Of course it is done more often when you have projects to promote,  just like going on talks shows.

I mean Gweneth Paltrow. Kerry Washington, Rachel McAdams,  Miranda Lambert, have all been on the cover of  Marie Clarie  this year..

Yes, it doesn't matter how well known, how many projects or body of work you have, you work that promotion. Paltrow certainly wouldn't be labeled a " young" actress establishing her brand by HW standards; she has been at it 20 years and even she still has to push her products like everyone else.

Lea has a TV show, a recent book published and an upcoming album. It would be beyond odd if she wasn't promoting these projects.

Edited by caracas1914

If you are talking the NY poses it for her fans no harm no foul.  She'll move on from it soon. 

She posted so much about her album this week yet thats the thing that gets a comment.

Edited by tom87

No it's not what  I'm commenting on.

i didn't say any harm was done, but whatever.

As to her album, didn't realize we were required to post about that specifically , I'll have to read the manual.

Edited by caracas1914
2 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

As to her album, didn't realize we were required to post about that specifically , I'll have to read the manual.

Personally I would comment on what she is doing rather than trying to shame her for what she does with her body.

That said, I wish I had half the confidence she does to do that.

Anyone heard if her album is any good?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SparedTurkey said:

Personally I would comment on what she is doing rather than trying to shame her for what she does with her body.

Thank you.   Album will be released early 2017 and she did a music video and shot the album cover this week.  

Edited by tom87
4 hours ago, SparedTurkey said:

In fairness I don't follow Lea on social media, so much of this is stuff that's shown up in my search on Instagram but regarding the album, I don't know that there's much to comment on. Again, unless I've missed stuff, which is possible, it was mostly a lot of behind the scenes shots of her getting her makeup done, staging being set up, etc. for her first music video. There really wasn't anything to judge as good or bad because no song or album has been released yet. 

I have always been a firm believer that if you overuse something, there's a risk of it losing it's power. YMMV but I think we're a little too quick to throw out the body shaming, slut shaming, etc. accusations. Being over seeing the same thing is not shaming a person in my opinion. It is simply saying that after seeing something repeatedly, it does get a little old.

I like Beyonce and think she is an extremely talented performer but I'm tired of seeing her in these pantless bodysuits and feel like I've seen too much of her ass. And before it's said that only women get judged like that, I also get tired of seeing shirtless selfies from some male celebrities. And I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the sentiment about Lea but that I don't think it was a comment that had to be taken that seriously. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

In fairness I don't follow Lea on social media, so much of this is stuff that's shown up in my search on Instagram but regarding the album, I don't know that there's much to comment on. Again, unless I've missed stuff, which is possible, it was mostly a lot of behind the scenes shots of her getting her makeup done, staging being set up, etc. for her first music video. There really wasn't anything to judge as good or bad because no song or album has been released yet. 

I have always been a firm believer that if you overuse something, there's a risk of it losing it's power. YMMV but I think we're a little too quick to throw out the body shaming, slut shaming, etc. accusations. Being over seeing the same thing is not shaming a person in my opinion. It is simply saying that after seeing something repeatedly, it does get a little old.

I like Beyonce and think she is an extremely talented performer but I'm tired of seeing her in these pantless bodysuits and feel like I've seen too much of her ass. And before it's said that only women get judged like that, I also get tired of seeing shirtless selfies from some male celebrities. And I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the sentiment about Lea but that I don't think it was a comment that had to be taken that seriously. 

I just found it odd in a thread that has not been added to in nearly year all of sudden when there is actual news regarding a new project it is about her posting and/or her body or whatever.  It was not her album or even the mention that she was a part of a group discussion on body image and empowerment.  IMO If  there had some context instead of ambiguity maybe it would have been understood better.   

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Because I'm known for my constant Lea bashing...sarcasm off

I get it that even occasional humorous teasing, kidding, perceived criticism, and yes direct negative comments  or outright bashing of Lea or anyone else  may not be taken well by other fans.  

Fair enough.  

However let's be real, IMO, it doesn't matter a rat's ass if it's within the context of an album being released, months of inactivity in a thread, done in an "ambiguous setting" , a wider group discussion of implied body shaming (rolling eyes),  etc, etc, for some to take offense and have a Pavlovian defensive response.

It happens.

Edited by caracas1914

It was just so out of the blue.   Just thought if this thread would be revived it would be for a project not some random yet "caring" criticism.

Edited by tom87

Let it go, guys. This thread is about anything Lea-related, not just her work projects. Criticism and praise are both fine here.

Also, if one wants to see a thread revived with a specific type of news, one is free to make a post at any time!

• Love 1

Anyways A New Year and Lea started her instagram year with a another photo of her rocking body buck naked.

She also hinted of some live show(s) upcoming and of course that the new album is forthcoming.

I'm trying to remember the last time Lea did live performances in some sort of concert setting non Glee related or a one-up charitable thing, and I would think it's been at least 8 or 9 years.   I seem to recall some cabaret show she did during the Spring Awakening period.

With "Scream Queens" more likely than not not going to be renewed, it looks like she can finally make a big push for album promotion along with (hopefully) some sort of tour..

Of course she's sang live since glee, especially the Walmart Soundcheck.

The  songs with Jonathon Graff were the True Colors benefit back in 2009 so yeah, she's done one such gig in the last 7 1/2  years.

I would think that would be her last fullset of songs before a LIVE audience, as in a concert setting , of more than a couple of songs.

Edited by caracas1914

LM will be part of the third edition of ElsieFest, the concert of Broadway and pop music co-organised by her former Glee colleague DC; the line-up also includes Alan Cumming, Ingrid Michaelson and Norm Lewis, as well as DC (can the audience expect a reprise of an old Rachel/Blaine duet?). The Festival indicates other names should be announced for the show which will take place October 8 in NYC's Central Park, with a portion of the proceeds donated to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.

• Love 1