Type keyword(s) to search

Blanche Devereaux: Paying With Nature's Credit Card

• Start Topic

Trying on her flaming red and skin tight red number that she wore when she married George, so proud and confident that of course it still fits...and then turning to go back to her room, oblivious that the thing won't zip in the back, and Dorothy lets her have her delusional moment and just snaps a pic. 

• Love 3

Although for the most part I'm a "Dorothy", I would say Blanche is my favourite character.  She managed to be many, many, many things.   I loved her exaggerations and when she would go off into her own little sexual worlds and forget where she was.  With her accent, she could make a line that would just be normal, over the top funny.  I think the best scene hands down is when she was a writer and didn't sleep for days and saw the little balls of sunshine in a bag.  

• Love 2

I wonder if anyone bought her prescription bottles; it always creeped me out to see those being auctioned.

I might have bought the "Men of Blanche's Boudoir" calendar, though; I wonder how much that went for.

Considering that that calendar was actually something of a practical joke that the male crew members played on the ladies (they took nude selfies that they used for the prop calendar -- Bea's "WOAH!" at seeing "Mr. September" was genuine shock), I don't know that that really would have gone for all that much.

Considering that that calendar was actually something of a practical joke that the male crew members played on the ladies (they took nude selfies that they used for the prop calendar -- Bea's "WOAH!" at seeing "Mr. September" was genuine shock), I don't know that that really would have gone for all that much.

I watched a behind the scenes special and they showed most of the pictures from that calendar and the crew members weren't completely nude.

• Love 1

I just looked it up -- $4000 was the asking price, and they don't show it as having been reduced before sale (as they do for some other items that have sold), so it seems to have fetched a pretty penny.

I wonder if anyone bought her prescription bottles; it always creeped me out to see those being auctioned.

I might have bought the "Men of Blanche's Boudoir" calendar, though; I wonder how much that went for.

I would have liked to have owned that calendar. 

I noticed Rue's California driver's license was sold. It states she was born in 1937 -- I had always read she was born in 1934 or 1935. Wouldn't a driver's license have to be factually correct?

Good question. Did she pull a real life Blanche??

SOO many cool things from her estate.  I would have snatched up that pillbox hat from "Sordid Lives" in a second if it wasn't sold. 

• Love 1

I watched a behind the scenes special and they showed most of the pictures from that calendar and the crew members weren't completely nude.

And also, the women all laughed forever when they first saw it. Bea, in particular, was laughing so hard that she looked like she was about to have a coronary right then and there.

So when she said "Whoa!" in the version that made it to the episode, it wasn't genuine shock. She knew what to expect!

Hope you guys can help settle a trivia dispute about Blanche. I just got back from a totally awesome Golden Girls trivia/viewing party/dinner at a local vegan restaurant (they had a five course meal based on the Golden Girls and of course, vegan cheesecake).

Anyway, they were giving out trivia prizes. One of the questions was, "What nickname did Blanche give herself?" My friend and I, total GG fanatics, said it was Water Lily and according to the trivia book being used, we were wrong! The answer was apparently Peacock. But wasn't Peacock the nickname one of Blanche's relatives gave her? I seem to remember Blanche telling a story that began with "Water Lily - that's what I call myself- "

We ended up winning with our second answer as Peacock, but I tend to think the trivia book was wrong.

• Love 1

I think they're both correct, though Water Lily is more correct, if that makes sense? We do know Blanche gave herself the nickname Waterlily. However, they never established who exactly came up with the nickname Peacock for Blanche, so it could have from a relative or from Blanche herself. Though we did end up with this funny exchange between Rose and Blanche...

Blanche: When I was a little girl, my mama told me my destiny. She said, "Peacock," that was my nickname, Peacock, "you are destined for great things."

Sophia: Why peacock?

Blanche: Because I was so beautiful. Anyway she said...

Rose: I don't find peacocks so beautiful. They've got skinny necks...and they shriek.

Blanche: It doesn't matter, Rose.

Rose: And they attack chickens.

Blanche: I don't care about chickens, Rose. She didn't call me chicken, she called me Peacock.

Rose: You look more like a chicken when you're angry. Your neck sticks out like a chicken's.

But yeah, you should have won for Waterlily. But hey, at least you didn't lose ;)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I just got back from a totally awesome Golden Girls trivia/viewing party/dinner at a local vegan restaurant (they had a five course meal based on the Golden Girls and of course, vegan cheesecake)

Excuse me one moment. *moves to your city*

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

And here's another thing I don't get. It like a hiccup in the continuity of Blanche's character. It's in the episode where she takes classes at the local college and meets up with a teacher who's interested in extracurricular activities. 

Blanche has no qualms about sleeping with everyone, just ask Chuck (both of them, from Arco and from Shell). She goes as far as renting a Mercedes to get new boyfriends.   In order to get a favorable age mention in the Citrus Festival newspaper article she slept with the newspaper guy (twice!). I could go on and on but you get the idea.

So why doesn't she sleep with Professor Cooper in order to pass her college class? It seemed so out of character for her to say no. You'd think she'd do anything for a good grade. Even twice. It's not like she hasn't done it before.

Because she was being coerced.  Blanche may sleep with someone partially to have a good time and partially to get some external benefit out of the relationship (as with the favorable age mention in the newspaper example), but that's a freely-made choice, of her volition, which is a world of difference from quid pro quo sexual harassment.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because she was being coerced.  Blanche may sleep with someone partially to have a good time and partially to get some external benefit out of the relationship (as with the favorable age mention in the newspaper example), but that's a freely-made choice, of her volition, which is a world of difference from quid pro quo sexual harassment.

But her reputation for using "nature's calling card" to get what she wants is exactly why the others didn't believe her claims of sexual harassment.  Why is it OK for her to use quid pro quo sex, but not for the professor?  She can't have it both ways.

The whole storyline would have worked better had it been Dorothy or Rose who was the victim, not Blanche.  Blanche's reputation simply undermines her credibility.  And word does get around, Blanche.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Why is it OK for her to use quid pro quo sex, but not for the professor.

There's no evidence she ever engaged in quid pro quo sexual harassment as her professor did; when did we ever get a story about her being in an institutional position of power over someone and telling him you will lose this job, fail this course, etc. if you do not have sex with me?

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

There's no evidence she ever engaged in quid pro quo sexual harassment as her professor did; when did we ever get a story about her being in an institutional position of power over someone and telling him you will lose this job, fail this course, etc. if you do not have sex with me?

I never said "quid pro quo sexual harassment." That was your choice of words.  I merely said "quid pro quo sex."  I'm not accusing Blanche of the former.  But she is guilty of the latter, and that's what ruins her credibility.  As I said, she can't have it both ways.  What's good for the gander is good for the goose, as it were.  If she wants to dish it out, she'd better be prepared to take it and to endure other people rolling their eyes at her claims of sexual harassment, because it's "he said, she said" -- and whose word is more likely to be believed?

Edited by legaleagle53

Yes, I distinguished my words from yours, because your response changing that crucial word and thus attempting to draw a false equivalency had nothing to do with my original point distinguishing the two different scenarios, in response to the question as to why it was different.  They are two significantly different things, and that Blanche engaged in consensual sex that came with some added benefits has nothing to do with her resisting a harasser's attempt at coercing her into sex where her refusal would allow him to enforce a negative consequence because of his position of power.  Apples and oranges.

Because they're such different scenarios, how does engaging in one ruin her credibility when she calls out the other?  That's a lesser version of the same line of reasoning that says a victim of date rape is less believable because she's engaged in sex with numerous previous dates.  Choice is the key element.  The professor attempted to take that away from her, which makes it different from any prior scenarios in which Blanche opted to engage in sex for reasons above and beyond having a good time.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10

If she wants to dish it out, she'd better be prepared to take it and to endure other people rolling their eyes at her claims of sexual harassment, because it's "he said, she said" -- and whose word is more likely to be believed?

The thing is, Blanche never forced herself on others. She offered herself, willingly. That's a big difference than someone forcing some type of ultimatum on Blanche.

when did we ever get a story about her being in an institutional position of power over someone and telling him you will lose this job, fail this course, etc. if you do not have sex with me?

Exactly.

• Love 5

Once again, though, without at least a third impartial witness to corroborate Blanche's claims, it's "he said, she said" -- and someone who is notorious for paying "with nature's credit card" (she never leaves home without it, you know) is simply not going to be as credible as a respected college professor who, as far as anyone else knows, has no such history.  Blanche would lose if she tried to sue him.

How Blanche would fare under our sexist society/judicial system, especially as it existed at the time, should she pursue a claim wasn't the issue raised.  The question was why would she refuse to be coerced into Behavior A, given her history of engaging in Behavior B?  And the answer is that A and B are two different behaviors, so that embracing one does not negate the ability to refuse the other.

With that, I'll stop flogging the poor horse and wish the forum a good night.

• Love 10

Once again, though, without at least a third impartial witness to corroborate Blanche's claims, it's "he said, she said"

But the original point wasn't about "he said, she said", it was about:

So why doesn't she sleep with Professor Cooper in order to pass her college class?

It wasn't about who should be believed, but Blanche not sleeping with the professor being some sort of continuity snafu...which it isn't.

• Love 6

Without delving into this debate about sexual harassment, there were times when Blanche used Nature's Credit Card to get what she wanted (when she was in the Orange Festival thing with the plate and slept with the judge twice), or tried to flirt her way out of jail with the female guard.  However, with the class, it was something Blanche actually enjoyed, it wasn't sexual for her, and I think she wanted to earn her A.  But based on her sex kitten persona, I don't think she was as offended by the offer as I would have been.

What really bugged me about that episode was how Blanche gives her big speech about kissing her A, and the whole time the professor is sitting there smiling all "You go girl!"  I mean, this dude is basically a sexual predator, I thought it was a weird acting choice to have him applaud her moxie in that moment.

But you really have to put politics aside for the Golden Girls... it was retrograde even for the 80's, even though it was cutting edge in other ways (gay marriage).  They went for the funny line more often than the moral higher ground, which is why it was so damn hilarious and long lasting.

• Love 3

This feels like that episode of Sex and the City where Samantha is turned down by the masseuse who has a rep for going down on women clients.  She was so annoyed she said "You can't have sex with some people and not others!'

• Love 1

Well I'm glad my question sparked such a lively debate. I was just musing on the fact that Blanche would sleep with anybody and everybody then turn into Miss High & Mighty Prim & Proper for that one episode. Very unlike her IMO. 

On 2/19/2018 at 5:43 PM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I think we are all missing the truly important question here.  Exactly what was 7b?  ;)

You tell us, Blanche — you’re the one who’s done it, and telling people to do it to themselves! XD