Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

So I guess Laurel gets kidnapped? Are there summaries posted anywhere of what's currently going on in 2.5? I'm not going to spend money to see a Laurel-centric story.

Someone who knew Oliver in high school (I think, I can't remember) is all hopped up on mirakuru and wants revenge on Oliver. He met Laurel somewhere in the last book and asked her about Oliver. She told Oliver that this dude was looking for him, and Oliver goes after him, alone, at Queen mansion. He's got Laurel as a hostage - he broke into her apartment and knocked her out. This dude wants Oliver to see what it's like to watch someone he loves die or something, and Oliver tries to negotiate with him to let Laurel go, then the guy sets Queen mansion on fire.

Did Oliver shove him into a locker or something? Steal his girlfriend?

I'm assuming they went all the way back to high school to bring Laurel into the story because that is really random.

• Love 2

Thanks, apinknightmare! I gotta say, MG isn't even half-assing the comics anymore, if he's reusing a kidnap plot 4 issues after the last one. Hope he remembers that Laurel's a recovering alcoholic and doesn't wrap up this storyline with her and Oliver sharing a bottle of wine.

• Love 1

IIRC, Caleb Green watched his father kill his mother after he lost his job. He was young at the time so maybe it was when the steel plant (you know the one that caused all of Robert Queen's problems a/k/a the Lair)closed. He was on the streets and became a Brother Blood follower and ended up mirakurued.

Also in this issue a LOA member discovers Malcolm's location in Corto Maltese. Of course the assassin is all about him breaking the LOA code with THE Undertaking. This results in MM saying "Why, because I didn't get Ra's permission?" Assassin says go ahead and kill me others will keep coming until the blood debt is settled. MM says something about or until Ra's is dead. Assassin says you'll never kill him. Malcolm says someone younger will.

At the beginning we did have Felicity worrying about Oliver. She tells Roy and Diggle they should have gone with him. Diggle agrees but then says something along the lines of "You know he likes to go it alone." This probably means in the next issue Roy and Diggle go help him out.

I guess the final 3 issues will show the Thea/Malcolm story leading up to Sara's death.

• Love 1

IIRC, Caleb Green watched his father kill his mother after he lost his job. He was young at the time so maybe it was when the steel plant (you know the one that caused all of Robert Queen's problems a/k/a the Lair)closed. He was on the streets and became a Brother Blood follower and ended up mirakurued.

Also in this issue a LOA member discovers Malcolm's location in Corto Maltese. Of course the assassin is all about him breaking the LOA code with THE Undertaking. This results in MM saying "Why, because I didn't get Ra's permission?" Assassin says go ahead and kill me others will keep coming until the blood debt is settled. MM says something about or until Ra's is dead. Assassin says you'll never kill him. Malcolm says someone younger will.

At the beginning we did have Felicity worrying about Oliver. She tells Roy and Diggle they should have gone with him. Diggle agrees but then says something along the lines of "You know he likes to go it alone." This probably means in the next issue Roy and Diggle go help him out.

I guess the final 3 issues will show the Thea/Malcolm story leading up to Sara's death.

Thanks for the recap - I haven't been keeping up with these. So has Laurel been saved yet? If they are looking to include Laurel in these, why reuse a kidnap plot instead of using her as a lawyer?

I saw promotion for the combined titles, but I haven't seen the individual sneak peeks to the chapters recently. Are they still releasing those?

Thanks for the recap - I haven't been keeping up with these. So has Laurel been saved yet? If they are looking to include Laurel in these, why reuse a kidnap plot instead of using her as a lawyer?

No, she and Oliver are currently tied to chairs in the burning Queen mansion. 

What's especially great about her being kidnapped - again - is that just last issue (or maybe it was the one before it), she said something about how someday she might put a mask on. Like, she's considering becoming a hero (which, the line was stupid, especially in light of the reasoning we were supposed to buy into for her putting the damn mask on in the first place), and then she gets kidnapped, AGAIN, in the next issue. 

• Love 1

I saw promotion for the combined titles, but I haven't seen the individual sneak peeks to the chapters recently. Are they still releasing those?

No, at the end of issue 21 both Laurel and Oliver are tied to chairs and being taunted by Caleb Green in the burning mansion. Which is why I won't be surprised if Roy and Diggle show up in 22. Or else Oliver breaks free similar to how he did in the pilot and saves the day.

There haven't been any sneak peeks released. I guess S3 is over and MG has other fish to fry.

• Love 1
(edited)

When I hear the name Caleb I think of my friend's toothless former meth head brother. 

So yeah, the pattern holds.

Though if you go biblical he's a good guy. 

Edited by BkWurm1
(edited)

New BC fronts a band (August 2015 issue, on sale June 17th)...

DC Comics ‏@DCComics  13h13 hours ago
Trouble follows Dinah around in this preview of BLACK CANARY #1:

CHVnJcaUwAArQhs.jpg

https://twitter.com/DCComics

Meet The Band In Our Exclusive Preview Of ‘Black Canary’s First Issue
BY DAN SEITZ • 06.12.15
http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/06/meet-the-band-in-our-exclusive-preview-of-black-canarys-first-issue/

(contains more pics and sneak previews of the comic pages)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Wow, that looks bad.  At the same time, the storyline sounds familiar.  Didn't they do this part of a band storyline backstory reboot for another comic female character? 

Now that I think about it...this isn't the first time they've had BC in a band, is it?  Remains IMO a terrible direction to go. 

Edited by BkWurm1

CHVnJcaUwAArQhs.jpg

Ha!  I just realized what this image reminded me of.  Anyone remember the very 80's cartoon, Jem and the Holograms?   This was their archenemy. 

retake7.jpg

Obviously there is a stylistic difference (or just a lack of any good styling) but both characters have a similar look to their features and 30 yeas ago it identified her as the villain, lol. 

(edited)

I know there was a Frank Miller Batman AU which had Dinah as an Irish Bartender but I don't remember one where she was in a band. Can you remember the issue?

I don't think this will be successful mostly because it has no appeal to me. However, Batgirl is doing very well having gone back to a teen story so you never know.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)

I think this is aimed at the exact same market as YA Batgirl -- female and young -- not so much at the folks male 18-34 reading Green Arrow or watching Arrow.

I applaud DC targeting Young Girls I just don't necessarily agree with how they're going about it; same with Marvel's short lived YA Jubilee title. They all bring to mind that SNL Black Widow skit.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I applaud DC targeting Young Girls I just don't necessarily agree with how they're going about it; same with Marvel's short lived YA Jubilee title. They all bring to mind that SNL Black Widow skit.

Agreed. It definitely looks like dudebro's ideas of what young girls would like. I'm enjoying YA Batgirl, but it's nowhere near as awesome as Bryan Q. Miller's run at Batgirl Stephanie Brown a few years ago. That was MY Young Adult Batgirl.

I have't actually read them to talk about the writing but going by story and the pictures, These seem to be geared at a young female audience. Marketed for teens/young adults but really for good readers in the 10-14 market. Imo.

Agreed. It definitely looks like dudebro's ideas of what young girls would like. I'm enjoying YA Batgirl, but it's nowhere near as awesome as Bryan Q. Miller's run at Batgirl Stephanie Brown a few years ago. That was MY Young Adult Batgirl.

Yesss to this. I loved everything about that book. Well everything but Wendy Harris. But Stephanie was such a fun Batgirl to read. I really enjoyed Oracle in it as well.

(edited)

Green Arrow to provide pointed critique of Baltimore and Ferguson
David Barnett  Monday 15 June 2015 12.39 EDT
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jun/15/green-arrow-baltimore-and-ferguson

The comic book inspiration behind the hit superhero TV show Arrow is taking a bold new direction, one that takes the character back to his radical - and controversial - 1970s incarnation.
With issue 41 of the monthly series, just released, the character has taken off on a new path under a fresh creative team: writer Benjamin Percy and artist Patrick Zircher.
The TV show Arrow might well send readers to the comic, but they’ll find a very different beast. Percy says: “The show is fun – it’s fine – but we’re doing something very different. The cast and content of the show have zero bearing on what we do with the comic series.”
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Well they just lost a bunch of new fans. But, they probably don't care as long as they regress back.

There's a new writer who's taking the title in a different direction like the article said, so I don't think they care so much because they aren't targeting these comics at the fans of the show anymore. Personally, I don't care since I didn't read those comics anyway. I'm interested in the dynamic Oliver, Diggle and Felicity have on the show now, not something kind of the same, but different. 

• Love 1

Ben Percy is.basically taking the comic back towards Lemire's run. Personally I'd rather they just gave the title back to Lemire. Some of the comments I read about 41 sound like Percy is a Lemire fanboy.

Which could explain the attitude he.seems to have regarding AJK, Diggle/Felicity and the show. Either that or he's a snob because there's massive condescension in his.interviews (IMO).

Ben Percy is.basically taking the comic back towards Lemire's run. Personally I'd rather they just gave the title back to Lemire. Some of the comments I read about 41 sound like Percy is a Lemire fanboy.

Which could explain the attitude he.seems to have regarding AJK, Diggle/Felicity and the show. Either that or he's a snob because there's massive condescension in his.interviews (IMO).

Yeah, I noticed that too. Surprised he didn't just outright say, "Eww... I don't want any TV show cooties on MY comic books."
  • Love 2

I just find it a little supicious that around the time they said they are stopping with the writing of Diggle and a Felicity other announced that BC comic. I know they are different people but it's suspicious nonetheless.

I just find it a little supicious that around the time they said they are stopping with the writing of Diggle and a Felicity other announced that BC comic. I know they are different people but it's suspicious nonetheless.

But it's not really. It's common DC practice to announce the soft reboots all at once, and the new stuff is all slated to follow up their Convergence ~event. They've done this exact same thing about five times since the new 52 started.

And comics Dinah still isn't Laurel.

• Love 4
(edited)

DC Comics interview with the artist behind the new BC...

Are You Ready for Black Canary's Annie Wu?
By Tim Beedle Wednesday, June 17th, 2015
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/06/17/are-you-ready-for-black-canarys-annie-wu

Annie, how would you describe the new Black Canary series?
As [writer] Brenden Fletcher so perfectly pitched it, it's a rock 'n' roll kung-fu road trip. We're getting an opportunity to see Dinah in a new light while also reminding the audience just how brutal she is as a martial artist in the DCU.
Edited by tv echo

I know there was a Frank Miller Batman AU which had Dinah as an Irish Bartender but I don't remember one where she was in a band. Can you remember the issue?

I'm sure it was just something I read in a wiki but maybe it had something to do with this quote from the above interview: 

You’ve seen Dinah Lance as a reluctant team leader in Birds of Prey, a district attorney following in her sister’s vigilante footsteps on Arrow and as a smoky-eyed torch singer in the DC Comics Bombshells.

I'm sure it was just something I read in a wiki but maybe it had something to do with this quote from the above interview: 

Perhaps someone more familiar with DC's lineup as a whole could answer.  I did a quick look and what I could find was that they did Variant covers back in 2014 (I never buy Variant Covers, don't know why) that used DC female characters in WW2 style poses/attire.  Now it looks like they're turning those Variant Covers into a digital comic series set in WW2.  With Batwoman, Wonder Woman and I think Supergirl fighting to save the world with other characters showing up.   Is that right?

(edited)

It's referring a collector statue that reimagines some of the dc female characters. Black Canary appears as a torch singer.

Eta: linkage. http://morethanjustreviews.com/dc-collectibles-expands-its-sexy-pin-up-line-with-the-dc-bombshells-black-canary-statue/

Eta: wHich is based on the variant cover for green arrow #43. http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/articles/assets_c/2015/05/Green_Arrow_43_BombSVariant-thumb-500x770-152481.jpg

Edited by Delphi