Type keyword(s) to search

Dorothy Zbornak: Who Are You to Judge Her?!

• Start Topic

It's a bit like choosing my favorite chocolate, due to the embarassment of riches, but Dorothy is my favorite Golden Girl.  We share a sense of humor - Her "Like what, [sarcastic answer to dumb suggestion] rejoinders are the type of thing that routinely fall out of my mouth - so I'm quite drawn to her dry, sarcastic wit.  Bea Arthur is particularly adept at non-verbal communication, making Dorothy's reactions to those around her quite fun to watch.

I really enjoy her relationship with Sophia, so fundamentally about love but with a heaping dose of frustration.  I also like her interaction with Stan.  Herb Edelman deserves a lot of credit for making Stan more than a caricature, but Bea Arthur also sold me on Dorothy's myriad feelings for the man.

• Love 8

Dorothy is my favorite also. I felt sorry for her over the years since she was mocked about not being pretty enough or being too manly. I was very happy for her that she and Lucas fell in love and got married. Too bad she was stuck with that horrible wedding dress, that looks like it's decorated with construction paper loops. I've often wondered what she would have looked like if they had put her in a flattering dress that made her beautiful. They didn't have shows like "Say Yes To The Dress" back then. BUT, the show's clothing designer should have come up with something better. I figure they picked that dress though for one more zing at Dorothy.

• Love 5

Dorothy was always my favorite, too, and it might be because I've always identified with her as well. I have a similar sense of humor and personality, including all the positive and negative points (ie: I can be a pessimistic killjoy in my bad moods like her, too).

• Love 4

I like that in the Instagram photo, everything about the Bea Arthur Residence is tall and skinny, like Bea herself. 😋

What a great cause, and such an amazing human. She will always be my favorite GG. 💕 

• Love 2

I'd always heard that Bea was 5'9", but she looks taller than that in her military photo (which looks remarkably like a mug shot!).

Either she was wearing shoes that added some height, or she did the opposite of actors like Tom Cruise, and pretended to be shorter than she actually was.

• Love 3
(edited)

Happy birthday to Bea Arthur!

I always think of Mr. Ha Ha's Hacienda in her honor.

I hope she's having a ha-ha-haht fudge cake in heaven.

tenor.gif?itemid=15276591&fbclid=IwAR3iS

Edited by Eri
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

Some people said that Bea was playing Maude on GG's..but I disagree. 

Dorothy was sarcastic, but was warmer than Maude. She also had a low self esteem, and she had incredible patience compared to Maude(Maude would have never let Rose tella St Olaf story).

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Dorothy was sarcastic, but was warmer than Maude. She also had a low self esteem, and she had incredible patience compared to Maude(Maude would have never let Rose tella St Olaf story).

[in my best Bea Arthur voice] So, would you say Dorothy was Maude-light?

(edited)

Also, didn't Maude truly love her husband, vs the hatred of Stanley?  Blanche and Vivienne were worlds apart just as much as Rose & Sue Ellen.  If anything, Ellen (Mama's Family) & Sue Ellen were very similar.  Aunt Fran (also MF) was completely unique as well.

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2020 at 8:35 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I'm with you. There were some similarities between Maude and Dorothy but overall, Dorothy was just warmer. I'm not a fan of Maude at all but Golden Girls is my absolute favorite show. Were Dorothy more like Maude, I can't see me enjoying Golden Girls much.

• Love 3
On 7/20/2020 at 2:46 PM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I'm with you. There were some similarities between Maude and Dorothy but overall, Dorothy was just warmer. I'm not a fan of Maude at all but Golden Girls is my absolute favorite show. Were Dorothy more like Maude, I can't see me enjoying Golden Girls much.

Honestly, I would have said that Maude is the warmer one. Maude wasn't cynical or beaten-down the way that Dorothy was.

I've always felt that the biggest difference between them was that Maude was more hysterical, while Dorothy was more sarcastic.

• Love 1