Type keyword(s) to search

Rhodes Scholar Reporting the News Show Discussion

• Start Topic

Their entire basis of existence seems to be Obama is evil.  Well, what are they going to do in 2 years when he isn't President.  Though eventually they will turn back to their must destroy the Clintons settings.

I was a little surprised that Rachel didn't ask Senator Schumer why the hell didn't they confirm her last year when they were still in the majority.  Though, he would have just said blah blah blah, they trusted them to bring her up for a vote. 

Probably another reason why I'm not Secretary of State - after a 5 hour meeting, I so would have been lying in bed eating snacks and watching tv.  Not bike riding around Switzerland.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 2

I was a little surprised that Rachel didn't ask Senator Schumer why the hell didn't they confirm her last year when they were still in the majority.  Though, he would have just said blah blah blah, they trusted them to bring her up for a vote.

Didn't Rachel do a piece last year where she advocated for the Democrats focusing on getting smaller offices confirmed? I don't recall if it was Loretta Lynch she brought up but there was someone where she said the Democrats can put that off because it'll be possible to get to the media to notice the office isn't filled, while smaller officers would be impossible to bring attention to.

A key factor in conservative culture is, "If liberals (or Obama) likes it, I hate it." Self interest comes far behind showing the hippies, the hipsters and Obama that your disdain for them.

• Love 2

Didn't Rachel do a piece last year where she advocated for the Democrats focusing on getting smaller offices confirmed?

That's right. Your post jogged my memory. Didn't the Dems use their majority to get more judges confirmed in that month or so than they'd been able to do in the past year? Those liberal, or at least not right-wing-crazy, judges will be more beneficial for the country in the long run than the AG appointment which would only last for two years.

TRMS podcast has been weird all last week -- the video only has the first segment; the audio podcast has the full show.  Very disappointing when I was traveling and could not watch the show. 

I hope Rachel was just keeping her outrage at Indiana's anti-gay law in a controlled news person way. She reported the story very matter of factly.

She had to be seething. (Chris Matthews was and talked about the inevitable lawsuit).

I can't wait for a lawsuit and for Rachel's coverage of it when it happens.

Edited by stormy

Thank you Rachel!  Hopefully that is the first of many news stories reminding people just what Jeb Bush did as Governor - besides getting involved in the Terri Schavio case...he was the Governor who signed the Stand Your Ground Law into law and he was Governor when his brother was declared the winner in Florida during the 2000 election.  I don't have a lot of confidence but its a start.

• Love 6

Agree! I had forgotten what an idiot Jeb is.

There are dems out there that think he's acceptable. Some think the dems like him more than the republicans do. Make them revisit that story,

Also...Happy Birthday Rachel!

• Love 4

That's one of the things I love about Maddow. She doesn't let politicians forget their stupid moments. I wouldn't be surprised if the day McCain announces his retirement if her coverage includes the "Bomb Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran" moment.

• Love 4

That's one of the things I love about Maddow. She doesn't let politicians forget their stupid moments. I wouldn't be surprised if the day McCain announces his retirement if her coverage includes the "Bomb Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran" moment.

It should also be the announcement of Palin as VP nominee.

• Love 4

That story on the NC legislature screwing around with the medical school.  Its bad enough when men who aren't doctors are making medical decisions about women's bodies but when a woman, who has a vagina herself, says that doctors that preform abortions do not need training!  Seriously, I don't want any doctor without the proper training examining me never the less performing operations on any part of my body but especially that.  People performing operations while figuring it out at the same time - women will die.  

• Love 2

Yeah, I definitely got the feeling that Rachel is looking forward to the Paul candidacy, much like a cat toys with its most recent prey. Bat it around a bit, maybe a bit more, then, only when she's ready, bite down through those wee little bones. And later puke up the inedible matter somewhere behind the tv.

Wait, No. That's my actual cat.

• Love 7

Heh.   And like a cat...she (and/or her staff) never forgets.  I'm guessing she will talk again about him tonight - in the middle of his interview with Samantha Gutherie on Today, he stopped to explain to her how to interview someone.  He seems to have an issue with woman interviewing him and asking him actual questions.

• Love 2

I am so excited that Hillary will be announcing tomorrow. Besides the fact that it's my birthday tomorrow, Rachel is never more entertaining than during a presidential election season. She did some great segments in 2012 on the Republican primary chaos, and then great analysis on the debates. I'm expecting her to be in fine form during this upcoming election too.

I also really loved the panels she hosted post-debate with Al Sharpton, Chris Matthews, Steve, Schmidt, etc. Their flabbergasted reaction to Clint Eastwood's speech was one of my favorite things about the election.

I really prefer MSNBC as a whole during an election  cycle, frankly. In non-election years I'm not as interested. Apparently I'm not the only one since their ratings really skyrocket during elections and then plummet when they're over.

• Love 1

The NY Times and the WaPo must be pretty desperate to have a Clinton scandal to hype if they're using the work of someone with such a terrible history of being wrong. They might as well hire Judith Miller to ask if Hillary is making WMDs.

But on a superficial note David Brock needs a boyfriend or husband who will tell him to get a haircut before he makes one of his rare TV appearances.

Well, if they are going to support Trump, I will be buying my polo outfits somewhere else.  Seriously, why are they throwing their money away - they might as well give it to their horses to eat.  Though, I'm guessing - they are someone actually Trump. 

Or they are just all idiots :-)  You are probably right though. 

Though, I can't figure out the rules anymore - if he declares he is running, he is able to still have the show on the air?  Or since he's just a big joke, the FEC won't care.

It took me over a month to realize that the TRMS podcasts now contain only the first segment.  If I can believe the comments on iTunes, it is a Comcast deal of some kind (?), but the reviews there are overwhelmingly negative.  I really rely on having the podcasts in summer to keep up with the show, and this is very disappointing.  Apparently this started well over a month ago, but because I had only been trying to load the Friday shows, I thought it was something peculiar about the Friday podcasts. 

• Love 1

It took me over a month to realize that the TRMS podcasts now contain only the first segment.  If I can believe the comments on iTunes, it is a Comcast deal of some kind (?), but the reviews there are overwhelmingly negative.  I really rely on having the podcasts in summer to keep up with the show, and this is very disappointing.  Apparently this started well over a month ago, but because I had only been trying to load the Friday shows, I thought it was something peculiar about the Friday podcasts. 

OMG. For real? That is  so disappointing! I keep having to delete the show to make room on my DVR, but I figure I can always go back to listen to the podcast.

I'm peeved. I guess there's a good rationale, but how disappointing.

• Love 1

I can always count on Rachel to find the best most crazy republican sound bite of the day.

Ben Carson's interview with CNBC's John Harwood, trying to twist the pretzel a little tighter with his views on gay marriage.

I'm with Rachel, thank you John Harwood, this interview.

Thank you Rachel!  Its been driving me crazy also that people seem to be ignoring that there was no fault intelligence.  That the Bush Administration lied lied lied lied lied. All that crap of if we knew then what we know now - they knew it then! 

Man, Dan Rather still hasn't given his prediction about who will win the Presidential election. Heh, soon he can not predict the 2016 election.

• Love 5

In a non-comedy way, although Rachel can make laugh intending to not, she will be my go to after Jon Stewart retires.

For me, no one can deliver the between the lines political talk the politicians don't want you to hear like Rachel and Jon.

I would like at least one guest every show, though, because it's exciting when she has one.

That clip she showed a few times of Christie was a thing of beauty....and self delusion.  Man, I don't think I'm enjoying anything else as much as the downfall of Chris Christie. 

• Love 1

That clip she showed a few times of Christie was a thing of beauty....and self delusion.  Man, I don't think I'm enjoying anything else as much as the downfall of Chris Christie. 

Was listening to the podcast at work and I snorted SO loudly at that part. I think Rachel's enjoying the downfall too. I simply could not get enough of her Bridgegate coverage, I don't care if she was criticized for squeezing every drop out of that story.

And to think I was sure he'd be the 2016 GOP frontrunner. I bet he thought so too!

Wondering what everyone's favorite story is that Rachel's covered. I really loved:

1. the 2012 election cycle. It was the first thing that pulled me into the show, and that cycle was the gift that kept on giving. Rachel's "I...I...I don't know" reaction after Clint Eastwood's word vomit was the best TV moment of that year for me. And her scathing criticism of Romney's 47 percent comment was great.

2. Bridgegate. This brought me back to the show after turning it off when the election ended. She got a ton of flak for covering it so much, but it was the kind of scandal I ate up with a spoon. I couldn't get enough of that douche Christie's downfall.

3. The 2016 primaries. I really love her "bzuh?!" confusion at the overcroweded GOP field right now, and as usual her graphics team is absolutely on point with their poof! sound effect whenever someone drops out. Really, I can't get enough of Rachel and MSNBC during an election cycle.

• Love 1

It kills me every time Rachel starts snoring before she gets to the end of Pataki's name. There's no reason this should delight me the way it does, but there it is.

• Love 4

As much as I love her more irreverant coverage of the elections, I really appreciate it when she digs down into a subject that absolutely no one else in the MSM is covering. I'm thinking in particular of her coverage of the nuclear weapons being removed from international hotspots by the US after months if not years of negotiations. It's a legacy of Obama's that will last for the rest of history, but someone who doesn't watch Rachel would have any idea it is happening.

• Love 5

It kills me every time Rachel starts snoring before she gets to the end of Pataki's name. There's no reason this should delight me the way it does, but there it is.

Yeah, that is hilarious. Have you heard her snark on "Young Guns?" She uses this low gutteral voice to say it and it's HILARIOUS. Another one of her quirks I like is when she says "teeny-tiny." It's how she says it that makes me laugh.

• Love 1

I love you Rachel, I love Bernie but pretending he is a viable candidate is just embarrassing for both of you.

He's viable; maybe to the extant of getting ten to twenty percent in the national polls. Don't know his ceiling. I guess she's got to keep some interest in the Democratic primary.

• Love 2

And as Rachel keeps pointing out, Sanders has a far better chance than many of the Republican candidates the media is taking seriously. It's the kind of double standard Rachel likes to go after.

• Love 5

What Sanders is doing with his big crowds and decent fundraising is demonstrating the interest of the Democratic base for someone, anyone, with progressive ideas. Even if he doesn't win a single primary, he will be useful by, hopefully, pushing Hillary to the left.

• Love 3

Plus, you know, it's a pleasure to see coverage of a campaign not entirely peopled with addlebrained mouthbreathers. Bernie could make his slogan "Bernie: Not Stupid, Not Crazy" and throngs would flock to him, so thirsty is that faction of the electorate.

• Love 6

Her segment on Beau Biden yesterday was beautiful -- understated and heartbreaking.  She just let the archival video do most of the talking, and it was very moving. 

• Love 3

Rachel's pre-presidential announcement by Rick Perry last night was hilarious!

Thanks for showing all his memorable moments from 2012.

The story of voter repression in Texas is nauseating.

Thank you Supreme Court republicans.

• Love 1

Wow, TRMS is now available On Demand in Comcast.  I don't know when this started, but I'd bet it was at the same time  that her podcasts got cut to  one segment a few months back.

Where did her podcasts get cut to one segment? I still get the full show every day through iTunes. I only get the audio, though. Is the video one just one segment?

Yes, the video formerly was the entire show without commercials and even including her little 15-second fillers.  Now it is just the first segment.  Audio is still the whole show, as you note.  Some of the reviews of video on iTunes have been grumbling about Comcast controlling the podcast.  Now I get it. 

• Love 1

If you go to MSNBC.com you can either watch Rachel's segments separately or the whole show (which includes the interlude) the later requires you sign in with a cable provider. I'd guess that's connected to the podcasts being cut back.

I hadn't heard the story about the Boston Library director having to resign over some "lost" artwork. Turns out they just had to do more frequent shelf-reading to make sure everything is shelved in the correct place! As a librarian myself, my heart aches over the director resigning just before they found the art--the Boston Public Library is the oldest in the country and one of the most prestigious, so that is a prime job.

• Love 1

Rachel whispering to the camera at the end of that segment:  "Doooon't  quiiiiiiit!"  I really hope the librarian is able to be convinced to stay.  In no way was this her fault, and there is no "fault", only confusion, after all that.  Meanwhile, I'll see if I can check out that Durer.  (joking!)

• Love 2

If you go to MSNBC.com you can either watch Rachel's segments separately or the whole show (which includes the interlude) the later requires you sign in with a cable provider. I'd guess that's connected to the podcasts being cut back.

There are so many commercials on each MSNBC site segment!  I tried that the other day to see the Beau Biden segment again, and it was four minutes of commercials for a five-minute segment.  Then when I tried to watch the beginning again, the commercials started again. Maybe its only Comcast that has all the commercials, but I'd have to be desperate to use that site again. 

When they took the full show off the video podcast, I sent MSNBC an email saying I would never watch their channel again until they restored it. The audio podcast isn't sufficient because so much of her show requires the visual. I miss Rachel. It seems Comcast is the enemy here. Shameful really.

• Love 1