Type keyword(s) to search

Rhodes Scholar Reporting the News Show Discussion

• Start Topic

How much did I love that Best New Thing?!? I have just earned my MLIS, so I love it when I hear librarians get our well-earned props, and I have also been loving the Ferguson Library story. I hasn't heard what their total donations were, so that was great, but I really loved seeing the professional comradeship show up with those volunteers.

Lots of love for Rachel, librarians, and those who support us tonight.

• Love 1

I'm guessing it's the holiday -- the shows were chock full of news in the hour they aired.  None of the news programs are getting their second/third showings.  Boo.  I don't need LockUp! in Christmas week!  The final segments of Rachel's show were excellent on Monday and Tuesday. 

I'm the daughter of a librarian, and I was downright sniffly over TBNT. One of the things my mom used to gripe about was the general lack of understanding that librarians are Professionals, meaning they have training in a specific skill set not held by laypeople. The general public views them as clerks, which is problematic when the general public (i.e. school boards, city councils, etc) are in charge of hiring and paying for them. Why pay a professional's wage when you can get the books on the shelf for minimum wage, after all? So hearing Rachel defend the skill level as a matter of fact was awesome.  (Congrats on your degree, sharpie66! Yay!)

I also loved the NYPL question card segment. Hee!

I'm the daughter of a librarian, and I was downright sniffly over TBNT. One of the things my mom used to gripe about was the general lack of understanding that librarians are Professionals, meaning they have training in a specific skill set not held by laypeople. The general public views them as clerks, which is problematic when the general public (i.e. school boards, city councils, etc) are in charge of hiring and paying for them. Why pay a professional's wage when you can get the books on the shelf for minimum wage, after all? So hearing Rachel defend the skill level as a matter of fact was awesome.  (Congrats on your degree, sharpie66! Yay!)

I also loved the NYPL question card segment. Hee!

Thanks!

And yes, I am definitely looking up the NYPL cards today. I've got a great book I've been reading called The Long Overdue Library Book: Stories Librarians Tell Each Other, and it's filled with great anecdotes. Rather typical of stories I've heard when working in a public library is the variation on the theme of "I'm looking for a book I saw here last year. It was red, really tall, and on the top shelf over here. No, I don't remember the name, author, or what it was about, but I need it now!" However, when I was a library clerk (unprofessional, so I only got paid $6.50/hour even though I was full-time and had benefits) in a small public library, it was great to have a reputation in the small town--I'd go to the grocery store and be greeted with "Hey, it's the Library Lady!" which was very fun.

• Love 1

I've been impressed with Ronan Farrow's work in Paris over the past few days; I'm glad Rachel showed bits of his interview with the CH lady. I don't know whether he's gotten better at his own show (I work, so I can only waste time during the day on the internet, not the tv! heh), but his standups during the march were quite good: lucid, explanatory, thorough -- not at all like some producer was whispering thought-bullets into his hear. And in that interview, the way he pivoted into her feelings about news outlets not carrying the CH images was something not many of his media confreres would do.

• Love 1

If you did not see the final segment on Thursday's show, watch the final four minutes in rerun or podcast.  I don't even want to say anything because you should see it unfold as we all did.  Hilarious. 

I'll have to go back and catch the Moment of Zen -- and want to watch again to see the moment the model in the background loses it.  "I learned the planets in school, we had to learn their names: Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, and the one with the rings."  So many nuggets to treasure in this!

That bit reminds me of my favorite Saturn joke: Q: How you do know that God doesn't love Earth as much as Saturn? A: If He liked it, then he woulda put a ring on it.

Yes, in my defense, I know it's stupid. Still: makes me giggle thinking of the solar system as a bunch of Single Ladies.

• Love 1

You guys are talking about the moon/qvc thing right?  I didn't see it on Rachel, I saw Time covering it on it's blog.  Isaac Mizrahi is always very strange on that live show.  I sometimes tune in because my one friend is convinced he is drunk every show.  It can get pretty boring, because of the clothes, but usually I see him say at least one strange, fucked up, or rude thing.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

Thank you, Rachel, for giving us some history with my snow report. Loooooved that she started with Jane Byrne in Chicago. I was a tween in the mid to late '70s when the Midwest got hit with five straight years of snowy winters (I thought that 3-4 snow days a year was normal), and that big storm (actually, two consecutive ones, iirc, followed by weeks of occasional smaller storms) was just nasty. Mayor Bilandic was incompetent with the clean up, at one point ordering the El trains to skip neighborhoods to stay on schedule, which of course impacted the mostly black neighborhoods on the South and West Sides the most. I also have vague memories of him just returning from a Florida vacation before the storm hit, so his tv appearances had the unfortunate tendency to show off his recently acquired tan, not something to make snowbound voters happy. Byrne took big advantage of this storm in her ads, with her standing outside as the snow came down, ripping Bilandic with his ineffectual handling of the weather. Every mayor since then is always aware of the need to get the full phalanx of snowplows out as well how to get the optics just right.

• Love 1

Right after the first segment, there are a series of black screens with text, intercut with the announcement that "food delivery bicycles are not emergency vehicles" -- then, the image of a horrified Internet Cat captioned with "No can haz takeout?????"  It is just funny.  I'll correct the quote later if needed. 

• Love 4

It was "I can haz take-out?" Loved the cat meme!

Thanks, Sharpie66!  I just realized that if they stay live all night, I would not get to see the cat meme again to correct the quote!

I don't think non-NYers quite understand the necessity of food-delivery in the big town. Nobody cooks. Teeny apartments have micro kitchens, with ovens used as storage and what meager counters there are are used as a place for your bags, not food prep. Take out food is ubiquitous, varied, cheap, and plentiful, and delivery is free (except for tip), and consequently, how people eat.

First, the cat meme *did* say "No can haz takeout?". Got the podcast!

Second, Lawrence O'Donnell has gone into very weird territory with the football incident. He had a female journalist on last week, and asked her, and I quote directly, to "finger the balls" as he handed her a football. Then made ten "ball" reference in one minute. Ick.

I have never heard about the jail/no bail movement.  Its great/sad how much I learn about the civil rights movement from Rachel.  Sad in that I feel I should somehow know these things but glad I'm learning about it finally. 

Connected as part of the movement - in Washington, DC we do have the lunch counter from the Woolworth's in North Carolina at the Smithsonian http://americanhistory.si.edu/brown/history/6-legacy/freedom-struggle-2.html.  They were going to tear it down and luckily someone thought to save the seats.

Sigh.  They couldn't take an hour of "Lockup!" for the Superbowl "Morning Joe at Night" program, but had to take Rachel's slot?  I hope this means that she is on her way to the game and parties (not that she is a party person).  But alas, I have to root for the home team Seahawks! 

• Love 1

The Clay Hunt Bill passed the Senate at 12:01 p.m!  Rachel had the time exactly right.  The final vote was 99-0!  (One Senator didn't vote).  

FYI, if I had any say (and its probably good I don't) I would have called the bill Fuck You Tom Coburn Bill. 

• Love 3

Why would MHP ask Eric Holder to quack?!?  The rest of that clip was good, though.

I also reeeeeally liked Rachel's sarcastic "He seems nice" about new Bush hire Ethan Czahor. And apparently, he's busy purging his twitter feed as I type to pretend he's not what he is.

• Love 2

I also reeeeeally liked Rachel's sarcastic "He seems nice" about new Bush hire Ethan Czahor. And apparently, he's busy purging his twitter feed as I type to pretend he's not what he is.

Actually, right now he is busy updating his resume.  That did not take long.  And I just watched Rachel's "So,,,,, HE seems nice" three times in a row.  Perfect delivery. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

More owl stories!  Because that beginning story last night was so depressing.  Seriously though, I'm glad she is talking about it. 

What kind of person thinks its ok in the name of religion to yell at kids who are there to learn about government.  And, that woman - she should be removed from office who wanted to kids to swear an oath.    Hopefully those kids are stronger than I am because its not something you ever forget.   Being a Jewish kid in Tennessee in the late 70s was not a pleasant experience.

• Love 1

I admit I watched that Youtube clip of the Energy Drink Lady with my gob agape. I cannot imagine going that far down the rabbit hole. And being so smug about it, to boot! But now I know that Satan is dicking around with soft drinks, so he can't possibly have time for other mischief, so: phew!

• Love 3

Was she crazy or what? I didn't watch the clip on Youtube, only what Rachel showed last night, but that was frightening enough.  I was a little surprised though, you would think since she is so busy finding Satanic messages on consumer products, she wouldn't have time to harasses innocent students.

• Love 1

.....but her reputation is in shatters because her family threw her under the bus. 

Though, I guess both of them will no longer ever be able to vote again.  That's something at least.  But they really got away with it - the sentencing is so much less than they could have gotten. 

• Love 1

.....but her reputation is in shatters because her family threw her under the bus.

Yes, plus all those staffers and vendors who cooperated with investigators/testified against her. Which means her reputation has always sucked, it's just that the whole country knows it now.

Jose Diaz-Balart was so defensive about the hair-dye accusation! Adorable!  That was a good townhall, well done, JDB!

I didn't know that David Corn had worked at FNC. Nice to know how quickly the worm turns.

Oh Rachel.   Rep Harris is actually famous for something else - when he first ran for Congress, his platform was basically Obamacare is evil and I will get rid of it.  Then on his first day as a Congressman, he found out he wouldn't get heath insurance immediately and had a total meltdown over it.

And, the way she treated the Mayor as a plucky heroine standing up to Congress.  Sigh.  Remember that story did on the Metro accident where someone died.  The Mayor was part of the reason that accident happened.  Heh, we did try on twitter to get Rachel to ask her about it but it didn't work.

WTF is wrong with people?!  There are people that think the worst thing you can say about a political opponent is that he is Jewish??  And use is as a smear campaign? Are we that horrible a group of people? Sigh.  The thing that is driving me crazy (besides the anti Semitism)  is that some of these same people who would think this are the same ones worshiping Netanyahu.  It would be nice if they could treat American Jews as well.

I miss the Owl stories.  So much less depressing.  Though of course I am glad Rachel is talking about this - we can't ignore when this happens.

• Love 4

Jesus man, how terrible are the ratings if they have to broadcast Harrison Ford's plane crash just to get a little bump.  He was just banged up and appears to be fine, not really breaking news worthy.

• Love 3

Maybe I'm reading the wrong articles, but I fail to see what the big deal is about these emails.  Besides appealing to people who care about things like birth certificates, the Michelle Obama whitey video, and Sandy Hook being a hoax, I don't see how this story has legs.  If it wasn't this, it would just be another imaginary scandal.  I can never tell if Maddow just isn't that into Hilary or thinks it's just so boring there won't be a primary, but I've noticed her being negative about her before, but I don't watch enough.

Maybe I'm reading the wrong articles, but I fail to see what the big deal is about these emails.  Besides appealing to people who care about things like birth certificates, the Michelle Obama whitey video, and Sandy Hook being a hoax, I don't see how this story has legs.  If it wasn't this, it would just be another imaginary scandal.  I can never tell if Maddow just isn't that into Hilary or thinks it's just so boring there won't be a primary, but I've noticed her being negative about her before, but I don't watch enough.

I've been a bit disappointed at Rachel's low coverage on the email scandal (although she's covered it a lot more this week). Granted I hope it blows over soon, but she's covered it much less than I expected. I think it's a combination of all the things you mentioned - she thinks it's boring, a non-event, and I also think she wants it to blow over faster, which only happens when news anchors stop talking about it. Rachel keeps pointing out that Hillary's career trajectory is so unusual that it is hard to predict the upcoming race like we have in the past, which is comforting when I remember that it's been a very long time since two Democrats were elected in a row.

I too think it's much ado about nothing and I think it will blow over.

Edited by EarlGreyTea

I've been a bit disappointed at Rachel's low coverage on the email scandal (although she's covered it a lot more this week). Granted I hope it blows over soon, but she's covered it much less than I expected. I think it's a combination of all the things you mentioned - she thinks it's boring, a non-event, and I also think she wants it to blow over faster, which only happens when news anchors stop talking about it. Rachel keeps pointing out that Hillary's career trajectory is so unusual that it is hard to predict the upcoming race like we have in the past, which is comforting when I remember that it's been a very long time since two Democrats were elected in a row.

I too think it's much ado about nothing and I think it will blow over.

I'll go to my grave believing that Al Gore was elected after Bill Clinton, so there's two in a row. No matter what the final outcome was. Small consolation though. And it is a very boring "scandal".

• Love 4

I'll go to my grave believing that Al Gore was elected after Bill Clinton, so there's two in a row. No matter what the final outcome was. Small consolation though. And it is a very boring "scandal".

Good point. A victory, though a hollow one. And the scandal was only interesting during Hillary's press conference, where she looked supremely disdainful of some of the questions.

I was so happy to hear Rachel's owl signs were so popular. I really want to order one now after hearing they're available.

I think Rachel is the only one talking about the Loretta Lynch hold.  I watched both NBC and ABC national news and neither of them have been talking about it.  I guess the NCAA is much more important news. 

Hmm, so when she showed Ash Carter and Loretta Lynch's pictures, there was something different between the two of them.  I can't quite put on finger on it.  Here's the thing - maybe its not because she is an African American woman but it sure as hell looks like that and for a party that has a problem with women and African Americans, this is just one more example.  The thing I don't get is that the Republicans hate Eric Holder.  They really really hate him.  An easy way to get rid of him - confirm Loretta Lynch.  But the longer she is on hold, the longer we have Eric Holder as AG. 

• Love 2

Everything about how DC republicans are operating these days is actually contrary to their own interests. Are they that stunningly obtuse? Or do they think their base is? Or both? Or do they imagine there's some nobility from cutting off their own noses to spite Obama-- with any means necessary?

• Love 2